NATION

PASSWORD

America In Flames: The Appropriateness Of Riots & Protests

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

San Marlindo
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby San Marlindo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:27 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:The proximate cause of protesting now is just what it seems to be, what it claims to be, which is defunding/abolishing the police as a bid to get some police reform. That it spread to so many cities (even small ones) shows that the police problem is widespread. Despite that, it's partially still about one man's death. Floyd's torture and murder was the straw that broke the camel's back, it will be remembered in history.

I don't doubt that those protesting are indeed sincere about the cause they're protesting. I'm just saying it didn't have to be this cause. If George Floyd had never been subject to that kind of treatment, it would've been something else. Some kind of major lurch towards a mass movement involving direct action like this was inevitable, give the underlying factors we've both mentioned - ie resentment against the lockdown, folks being pent up and needing an outlet, etc.
"Cold, analytical, materialistic thinking tends to throttle the urge to imagination." - Michael Chekhov

Phoenicaea
Ambassador

Founded: May 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenicaea » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:19 am

^perhaps because of 'decaying nation' and policies which feeble life well-being. the white house, i've read throught 'economic stimulus' it gave away all the state guaranteed 'loans', a public debt never seen before, to whoever asked for them.

gheddafi (a maghrebi despot) made something as this before. whoever could have moneys delivered from the state in falling libya, and then in crisis america, no matter their off-shore accounts and burned credibility of their owned enterprises.

it is so within the hand of justice, that the minority of the people left, who has not any right to access these moneys (because they can't handle the frauding bill for asking, i suppose) riot. i modestly suggested such in autumn, when i've read nyt that 'stimulus' passed in congress.

the matter is that it seems 'public' health and some of education to better the living condition, quite same as 'capitalism' showed to be essential in common goods before. you got refused to build such basic things, and then all the state-treasure saves were eaten by the 'stimulus'.

white house behavior shows a revolution-inducing commitment, since a land which is more 'free' than europe (where 'social order' is more tight).
Last edited by Phoenicaea on Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:21 am, edited 8 times in total.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:38 am

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:Because the words' blacklist 'and' whitelist ' etc. may involve racism, GitHub has replaced them with other words :blink:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/github-to-replace-master-with-alternative-term-to-avoid-slavery-references/

I'm OK with that. Old hardware used Master/Slave, if that puts "Master Repository" in perspective.

Whitelist and Blacklist, though the origins don't seem to be racist: it's just not necessary to keep the word "white" for allowed and "black" for blocked.

Ultimately GitHub is free to use whatever terms it likes.

"Tradition" = "it's only a bit broke so let's not fix it yet" ... it's just a matter of time.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:44 am

Phoenicaea wrote:^perhaps because of 'decaying nation' and policies which feeble life well-being. the white house, i've read throught 'economic stimulus' it gave away all the state guaranteed 'loans', a public debt never seen before, to whoever asked for them.

State guaranteed loans? Do you mean the Treasury Securities?

(The word "state" has two different meanings in the US)

Phoenicaea
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenicaea » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:56 am

^pardon, i mean the State which lends money to people and enterprises, said enterprises have the duty to return the loan back in part, nevertheless they can fraud for not giving tips on how they can afford such loans, or how said enterprises being sustainable even before.

then i refer also to the some-thousands dollar gave to all people. see, in europe the State does this same throught law-defined aids, thorught proper welfare and more often improperly with commissions of State-owned branches.

when americans made it for months of crisis, your State made a thing absurdly more inefficient and unjust than european habit, because in spite of giving a gift salary to people who needs, the State gave it to all people.

if a 20% of people risks misery, and then you give it to all people, substantially the 80% got useless (to people who either way has got same life well-being). worse thing, you caused an inflation on prices at the shop (as production languishes), which eats a part of that essential 20%.

here we face 'panem et circenses' (throw them the money and shows) that sank the greco-roman world in the late-empire era. that is my view.
Last edited by Phoenicaea on Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:31 am, edited 10 times in total.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:57 am

Phoenicaea wrote:^pardon, i mean the State which lends money to people and enterprises, said enterprises have the duty to return the loan back in part, nevertheless they can fraud for not giving tips on how they can afford such loans, or how said enterprises being sustainable even before.

then i refer also to the some-thousands dollar gave to all people. see, in europe the State does this throught law-defined aids, thorught proper welfare and more often improperly with commissions of State-owned branches.

when americans made it for months of crisis, your State made a thing absurdly more inefficient and unjust than european habit, because in spite of giving a gift salary to people who needs, the State gave it to all people.

if a 20% of people risks misery, then you give it to all people, substantially the 80% got useless (people who either way has got same life well-being). worse thing, you caused an inflation on prices at the shop (as production languishes), which eats a part of that essential 20%.

here we face 'panem et circenses' (throw them money and shows) that sank the greco-roman world in the late-empire era. that is my view.

Not US American, I am Australian.

My country also gave a generous allowance to people laid off, regardless of their need.
You call it "gift salary" which is accurate, our government called it "JobKeeper"
If government can afford it, I think it's defensible.
People who lost a high income, probably also have high costs (eg rent or mortgage) and the allowance nowhere near replaces their income.
Another thing I approve of, is my government doubling unemployment payments
This is based in the knowledge that unemployed people will spend it all, providing an economic stimulus

There were some people who lost their income and got no gift salary. Typically cash workers (tax criminals you might say) and casual workers who hadn't been with their employer long. All of these people were eligible for unemployment benefit anyway, probably most of them got it.

We're going into debt for this. But you know when else we went into debt with stimulus? The "Global" Financial Crisis. Australia didn't even have a recession: stimulus and continuing trade with China spared us that.

Australia has a strong social safety-net, and I shrug off your doom-saying about the end of the Roman empire!

Phoenicaea
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenicaea » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:41 am

good to know you australian, never visited yet. true, financial crisis was mother of incumbent. ahah, you can let my roman doom saying if you wish.
Last edited by Phoenicaea on Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General