NATION

PASSWORD

Why is Leftist Cali poorer than Rightist Texas?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Mon May 25, 2020 1:10 am

Caninope wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:
Higher taxes strict gun control etc etc

As if there aren't high taxes and strict gun control in New England, as if the South doesn't have a whole bevy of problems, and as if the infrastructure on the Eastern seaboard wasn't falling apart.

All I'm saying is that I've lived plenty of places in the US, visited plenty more, and there's not really anywhere with extraordinarily green grass, imo. Each region has it's nice perks and it's annoying flaws.

yeah but California sucks where it actually matters, like buying a home.
Comically Evil Member of the Anti-Democracy League
Government: Tyrannical Feudal Despotism
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you..."
"The meek will inherit nothing..."
"Behold and despair fools"
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon May 25, 2020 1:10 am

More to the point why is Cali such a trigger to the right, what is it that so offends their sensitivities.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

MineLegotia and Equestria
Envoy

Founded: Jul 22, 2017

Postby MineLegotia and Equestria » Mon May 25, 2020 1:11 am

Now, while I'm not the best person to comment on American stuff, it might possibly either due to rising taxes or increasing regulations. Both are bad for businesses and will result in businesses - if possible - fleeing an area. Which is what's happening to California. Texas on the other hand, looks like the best option because, well, no income tax.
Recent News: Imperial Regent strengthens Anti-Corruption Offices after Scandal | Minister of FA found after Ministry Blackout; Cults Blamed | 'Caplanbourgh surrender not in sight' says Minister of Defense | Parliament to pass 3843/383/23/04/2389

A nation of various species, who are mostly bureaucrats, traversing the multiverse in the name of harmony and colonialism. Not the worst nor best type of civilisation you'd want to meet.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon May 25, 2020 1:12 am

Caninope wrote:
New haven america wrote:lol, the average poor-middle class person in the left area of California are middle-upper middle class in most other areas of the nation.

That heavily depends on the area of California. California as a whole isn't insanely that much richer than the nation as a whole.

Yes, that's why I specified the left areas of California.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Mon May 25, 2020 1:13 am

Bombadil wrote:More to the point why is Cali such a trigger to the right, what is it that so offends their sensitivities.

Well for being the "bastion" of liberalism is sure fails to live up to it's name

Cries about inequalty= massive homeless problem

Cries about police=police brutality problem

Cries about firearms=strict gun control

California is like a annoying projecting leftist, that does just that: Projects
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Mon May 25, 2020 1:13 am

The Lone Alliance wrote:
New haven america wrote:lol, the average poor-middle class person in the left area of California are middle-upper middle class in most other areas of the nation.

The cost of living expenses of California is what balances it out.

Yes, which is why they're poor in California but middle class in most other areas.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon May 25, 2020 1:14 am

Bombadil wrote:More to the point why is Cali such a trigger to the right, what is it that so offends their sensitivities.

Because they don't worship at the altar of Colt and Browning, and because the state insists on treating minorities like people, apparently.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Mon May 25, 2020 1:15 am

Vassenor wrote:

Because they don't worship at the altar of Colt and Browning, and because the state insists on treating minorities like people, apparently.

treating minorities like people=massively expensive cost of living,especially for minorities

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon May 25, 2020 1:16 am

Nazeroth wrote:

Well for being the "bastion" of liberalism is sure fails to live up to it's name

Americans are weird over how territorial they are, and their actual angry dislike not just for other states.. I was in Manhattan Beach wearing a SF t-shirt and a guy literally told me to fuck off back to Norcal.. I was like 'dude, I'm not American, I'm just a tourist..'

So weird.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Mon May 25, 2020 1:16 am

Bombadil wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

Americans are weird over how territorial they are, and their actual angry dislike not just for other states.. I was in Manhattan Beach wearing a SF t-shirt and a guy literally told me to fuck off back to Norcal.. I was like 'dude, I'm not American, I'm just a tourist..'

So weird.

it's because america is closer to a Union of independent nations

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon May 25, 2020 1:17 am

California is leftist? :blink:

Really, silicon valley, where lots of billionaires made their money, is left wing?

:rofl:
The Blaatschapen should resign

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Mon May 25, 2020 1:17 am

Because it's the most economically powerful and populace state in the country (And 5th most powerful economic entity in the world) while also being largely liberal and progressive, which by right wing theory means that the state should be on the brink of collapse due to the supposed fact that left-wing policies are inherently meant to fail.

It triggers them because it's everything they're against as well as continually striding along when it should be failing in their opinion.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005

Postby The Lone Alliance » Mon May 25, 2020 1:18 am

Because as OP pointed out Californians have started to flee their state to Right leaning states, bringing their values with them, and most Right wingers don't want to see their state become California.

(To be honest I'm sure even a lot of liberals and leftists don't want to see their state become another California.)
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Mon May 25, 2020 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Mon May 25, 2020 1:19 am

New haven america wrote:

Because it's the most economically powerful and populace state in the country (And 5th most powerful economic entity in the world) while also being largely liberal and progressive, which by right wing theory means that the state should be on the brink of collapse due to the supposed fact that left-wing policies are inherently meant to fail.

It triggers them because it's everything they're against as well as continually striding along when it should be failing in their opinion.

It is failing though, that's the problem, it has one of the highest costs of living in the nation as well as taxes. There is a reason many of us are leaving for places like Texas.

I would have left too if it wasn't for my family.

The Wellington Holms
Civil Servant

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Wellington Holms » Mon May 25, 2020 1:19 am

Nazeroth wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

treating minorities like people=massively expensive cost of living,especially for minorities

So...we shouldn’t treat minorities like human beings because it costs money to do so? Got it.
Happy is the country with no past

A serene, cultlike city-state on the edge of Britain.
Opinions and policies are not my own.
Happiness is a choice.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Mon May 25, 2020 1:19 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:California is leftist? :blink:

Really, silicon valley, where lots of billionaires made their money, is left wing?

The cities in general are relatively left-wing by US standards, the more rural areas can be surprisingly just as regressive as anywhere else.

十年

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Mon May 25, 2020 1:19 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:California is leftist? :blink:

Authortarian technocrats parading as virtue signalling liberals like enslaving illegals to work as an underclass?

i guess.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Mon May 25, 2020 1:20 am

The Wellington Holms wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

So...we shouldn’t treat minorities like human beings because it costs money to do so? Got it.

Or you know, the state could actually put it's money where it's mouth is and fix the homeless problem, but that would require higher taxes and more tax payer funded meth i guess. :roll:

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon May 25, 2020 1:21 am

Nazeroth wrote:
Caninope wrote:As if there aren't high taxes and strict gun control in New England, as if the South doesn't have a whole bevy of problems, and as if the infrastructure on the Eastern seaboard wasn't falling apart.

All I'm saying is that I've lived plenty of places in the US, visited plenty more, and there's not really anywhere with extraordinarily green grass, imo. Each region has it's nice perks and it's annoying flaws.

Home prices are high in large part because of demand to live in California.

There are also reasons why buying a home in California is particularly attractive to those who can afford it versus somewhere like Ohio, namely the appreciation that comes with the house.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Mon May 25, 2020 1:21 am

Caninope wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

Home prices are high in large part because of demand to live in California.

There are also reasons why buying a home in California is particularly attractive to those who can afford it versus somewhere like Ohio, namely the appreciation that comes with the house.

there isn't a demand anymore that's the thing, people are LEAVING the state.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon May 25, 2020 1:21 am

Nazeroth wrote:
New haven america wrote:Because it's the most economically powerful and populace state in the country (And 5th most powerful economic entity in the world) while also being largely liberal and progressive, which by right wing theory means that the state should be on the brink of collapse due to the supposed fact that left-wing policies are inherently meant to fail.

It is failing though, that's the problem, it has one of the highest costs of living in the nation as well as taxes. There is a reason many of us are leaving for places like Texas.

just go put your money where your mouth is if you hate it so much and bring your family with you
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Mon May 25, 2020 1:21 am

Nazeroth wrote:
New haven america wrote:Because it's the most economically powerful and populace state in the country (And 5th most powerful economic entity in the world) while also being largely liberal and progressive, which by right wing theory means that the state should be on the brink of collapse due to the supposed fact that left-wing policies are inherently meant to fail.

1. It is failing though, that's the problem, 2. it has one of the highest costs of living in the nation as well as taxes. 3. There is a reason many of us are leaving for places like Texas.

1. I wasn't aware being the 5th largest economic entity in the world counts as failing
2. So does Texas
3. Who wants to break the news to him that they're mostly moving to the democratic areas of Texas?
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Bloing
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Bloing » Mon May 25, 2020 1:22 am

wow this thread has really flared up
Bloing. (Bloing)
Uses NS stats.
WEATHER REPORT
Greater Swivalikuu: Stormy. Very warm (29°C). Tallochiside: Cloudy, Cold (-2°C). Border City: Sunny. Oppressive heat (45°C). Urbington: Somewhat cloudy. Pleasant (20°C)

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon May 25, 2020 1:22 am

Nazeroth wrote:
Caninope wrote:Home prices are high in large part because of demand to live in California.

there isn't a demand anymore that's the thing, people are LEAVING the state.

You do realize that there is still a high demand for housing right? People are going both ways, to be fair.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Mon May 25, 2020 1:22 am

Caninope wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

just go put your money where your mouth is if you hate it so much and bring your family with you

I mean, if they left and took their family with them they'd have more than enough to pay for it due to the price difference with the rest of the nation.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General