NATION

PASSWORD

Polyamorous relationships, are they damaging to society?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you agree with Polyamorous relationships?

I agree with them
41%
I do not agree with them
46%
I have been or am in one and agree
3%
I have been in one and disagree
3%
Other (please Specify)
6%

Total votes : 235

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Tue May 26, 2020 4:17 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Kernen wrote:
Family law was boring as hell to me before I ran into its application to polygamous marriage.

Are you kidding ? Family law is normally two people burning their entire martial estate just to one up the other and to get the pleasure of saying the divorce was clearly the other side's fault. Its great for attorneys not so much for the people getting divorced or their children. Make it 4 people and dear god. Also if you divorce out of that group of 4 people, you lose because there are 3 people in the household that will say it is all your fault. You will get nothing from the marital estate and nothing in child visitation rights basically you will have to start life over with a child support bill.

Sure, dealing with angry people is fun. The law itself bores me. At least estate law has interesting rules.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Medwedgrad
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Medwedgrad » Tue May 26, 2020 5:01 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Medwedgrad wrote:
Then prove it.

*Points at your post*

There. Done.

Haha :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I hope you are proud of yourself :)

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue May 26, 2020 5:07 pm

Medwedgrad wrote:
Centai Mal wrote:I mean, they also refused to answer my questions, because the rhetoric they're using is the same that's used against same-sex couples

Yes, exactly the same that is used against same-sex marriages, and rightfully so.

Show me on this teddy bear where the gays hurt you.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue May 26, 2020 5:31 pm

Medwedgrad wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:*Points at your post*

There. Done.

Haha :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I hope you are proud of yourself :)

Oh not really, it was only mildly amusing, nothing to write home about.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue May 26, 2020 5:37 pm

Kernen wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:
Are you kidding ? Family law is normally two people burning their entire martial estate just to one up the other and to get the pleasure of saying the divorce was clearly the other side's fault. Its great for attorneys not so much for the people getting divorced or their children. Make it 4 people and dear god. Also if you divorce out of that group of 4 people, you lose because there are 3 people in the household that will say it is all your fault. You will get nothing from the marital estate and nothing in child visitation rights basically you will have to start life over with a child support bill.

Sure, dealing with angry people is fun. The law itself bores me. At least estate law has interesting rules.

Not fun just profitable. Not even the most die hard An cap will turn his entire estate into legal fees just to get out of taxes. Will two people turn their entire estate into legal fees just to one up the other during divorce.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Centai Mal
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Centai Mal » Tue May 26, 2020 8:32 pm

Medwedgrad wrote:
Centai Mal wrote:I mean, they also refused to answer my questions, because the rhetoric they're using is the same that's used against same-sex couples

Yes, exactly the same that is used against same-sex marriages, and rightfully so.

Why? Because it's "icky" to you? I'm in a monogamous relationship right now, with a very lovely guy. Guess we're making a mockery, despite us loving each other more than anyone could ever love someone as hateful as you
“Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.”

Religion: Catholic
Disabled and queer as hell
Biden 2020
Firefighter I certified, off to EMS and Rookie School next fall

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Wed May 27, 2020 8:11 am

Medwedgrad wrote:
Imperialisium wrote:
I would like a statement from every single sociologist confirming your claim.

Empiricism isn’t absolute it is observed and documented information just as a side note.

Actually you can. For example the Monty Hall Problem. Choices are ultimately Computational of the brain based on sensory data gained from environmental stimuli. The irrational variability is case by case and can be absent entirely. When it is present it’s usually due to an unknown factor yet to be revealed.

So, back to your question, which you seem to not like my word choice so I’ll offer a compromise.

Sources drawn from observational, sensory, and behavioral data which is measurable and can be validated by an experiment as the preferred form of submission.

Of course that you will not get the statement from every sociologist, but if we will play that game, I can answer you that I want a statement from every sociologist in favour of your argument about the capabilities and aims of Sociology. As neither of us will get such statement, does it mean that both statements are false? Of course it won't, because social reality either can or can't be precisely measured.

I don't see how Monty Hall Problem can be connected to our discussion as I don't seem to notice anything that it has in common with measuring social realities.

But, for the purpose of this discussion, let's hypothetically accept your proposition. For example, in my nation we are thinking about a legislation about polyamorous relationship. Let's imagine that in your nation they are encouraged for few years already, and that in this period the divorce rate was reduced (once again, we are imagining it just hypothetically). Now, based on your approach (2+2=4) I should make 2 conclusions: 1. That the reduction of divorce rate in your nation is directly connected with the encouragement of polyamorous relationships; 2. That the same legislation in my nation would lead to the same effect.
However, we have following problems:
1. How can we know that polyamorous relationships and their encouragement are in direct connection with reduction of number of divorces?
a) Did we take into consideration all the changes in laws about marriage that took places in the newest history of your nation?
b) Did we take into consideration the economical development of your nation in that period?
c) ... demographic changes
d) ... influence of education
e) ... influence of religion
f) ... political changes and (in)stability
g) ... social security and welfare programs
h) ... unemployment rate
i) ... aging of the society
j) ... migrations
k) ... relations between rural and urban areas
l) ... industrialization
m) ... healthcare
n) ... social stratisfication
o) ... cultural heritage and its influence
p) ... safety
q) ... unpredictable events like pandemia
r) ... and so on

There are too many parameters to count, too many things that could directly or indirectly influence these trends. We can establish that one might made more impact than another, but we still don't get the precise equation. The trends about divorce under the same legislation might be different just few years earlier or later.

It gets even harder when we want to apply it to my nation, as we need to take into consideration all differences between our nations, starting with culture and historical heritage, ending in unpredictable events. Even if it worked in your society (and we can't know that its effect is the consequence of this concrete thing), it might work in a totally different way in another society.
Finally, even if the reduction in the divorce rate is positive, we still need to take into consideration other effects, like for example violence in marriage, economical situation of households, birth rate, quantity of abandoned children, abortion rate, influence of polyamorous relationships on raising children and their success in adult life, etc.

You can't get the final answer empirically, as the reality is too complex to measure. Choosing this road is risky and unpredictable. That's why wiser approach is the conservative one. Instead of trying to count infinite variables, why not to rely on tradition and common sense? If society worked out the principle of monogamous marriage, if it exists for as long as history can establish, if it proved to be able to endure the challenges in front of which it was put through the history, then it is the most likely the safest principle upon which society should be founded. And therefore it is wise to protect it.

You could argue the same for prescription drugs.
You don't know if it works equally well for men and women. You don't know whether it will work the same for you as for me.
And still doctors will prescribe the same drug for patients.
Only after they have seen it doesn't work, they'll prescribe other drugs.

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Wed May 27, 2020 9:12 am

They are a little bit weird to me, but to each their own. It isn't society's business.

Thepeopl
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Wed May 27, 2020 9:48 pm

Galloism wrote:
Thepeopl wrote:Did I say "The definition of ", no I didn't.
I said "my definition ".
And yes I think Wikipedia has it wrong polygamy is 1 person has multiple spouses.
Group marriage is Polyamory not polygamy.

But because polygamy has been used in biology and sociology, the word has obtained several meanings. Unless you think animals have weddings too...

Animals don't execute paperwork.

But we do use polygamy for animals...

Purple Rats
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Purple Rats » Thu May 28, 2020 3:43 pm

I just watched "WhyKnot" documentary on Netflix. I didn't really like the guy who made it, neither his girlfriend, but it had some really interesting interviews and they looked back at history of monogamy.

Has anyone else seen it? What do you think?

Thepeopl
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Thu May 28, 2020 11:19 pm

Purple Rats wrote:I just watched "WhyKnot" documentary on Netflix. I didn't really like the guy who made it, neither his girlfriend, but it had some really interesting interviews and they looked back at history of monogamy.

Has anyone else seen it? What do you think?

It isn't available in The Netherlands, as soon as it is, I'll watch. But on Ted talks you have several speakers on the topic of monogamy/ polyamory.

Douleia
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 23, 2020
Corporate Police State

Postby Douleia » Fri May 29, 2020 2:12 am

Most people are, at some point in their lives, in a polyamorous relationship.
This can be because of
cheating by one or both partners in a hitherto monogamous relationship
conscious choice to have an open relationship
silent agreement to have an open relationship
(ir)religious reasons

Generally speaking: the more honestly the decision for polyamory is agreed upon by all three or more parties, the less damaging the thing becomes: if relationships founder on polyamory, it's usually because they were also premised on the pretense of monogamy.

The damage is not done by polyamory. The damage is done by monogamy extremism.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri May 29, 2020 3:28 am

Douleia wrote:Most people are, at some point in their lives, in a polyamorous relationship.
This can be because of
(ir)religious reasons

Generally speaking: the more honestly the decision for polyamory is agreed upon by all three or more parties, the less damaging the thing becomes: if relationships founder on polyamory, it's usually because they were also premised on the pretense of monogamy.

None of those things you listed are polyamorous though.
Last edited by Celritannia on Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

The Sladerstan
Envoy

Founded: Jan 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sladerstan » Fri May 29, 2020 3:31 am

Douleia wrote:Most people are, at some point in their lives, in a polyamorous relationship.
This can be because of
(ir)religious reasons

No, that's called an Adulterous relationship.

Exxosia
Diplomat

Founded: May 09, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Exxosia » Fri May 29, 2020 3:41 am

Are polyamorous relationships a problem?

Only if they spread to collateral parties in a negative way.

Do they cause problems for society?

They are not common enough to cause problems for society — especially as the society creates the relationship type first.

OR are they just like any other relationship?

For the most part, yes. I have seen two polyamorous relationships in my life. One broke down horribly, but in the end was no different than a normal breakup except for a mazda on fire. The other (a woman and two men) are happily still together 17 years into it and would benefit from a three-way marriage.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri May 29, 2020 3:46 am

Exxosia wrote:Are polyamorous relationships a problem?

Only if they spread to collateral parties in a negative way.

Do they cause problems for society?

They are not common enough to cause problems for society — especially as the society creates the relationship type first.

OR are they just like any other relationship?

For the most part, yes. I have seen two polyamorous relationships in my life. One broke down horribly, but in the end was no different than a normal breakup except for a mazda on fire. The other (a woman and two men) are happily still together 17 years into it and would benefit from a three-way marriage.

This is the best response I have seen on this thread thus far.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General