NATION

PASSWORD

Polyamorous relationships, are they damaging to society?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you agree with Polyamorous relationships?

I agree with them
41%
I do not agree with them
46%
I have been or am in one and agree
3%
I have been in one and disagree
3%
Other (please Specify)
6%

Total votes : 235

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 pm

Atlacatl Batallion wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:If people are more open to the concept of ethical non-monogamy, there could very well be less instances of cheating, divorce, etc. Getting rid of the expectation of rigid "two people fall in exclusive romantic love and get married" and letting people develop natural, fluid relationships without stigma can do a lot of good.

I have qualms with your use of "ethical".

What is an ethical relationship, exactly? And how do you define an ethical non-monogamous relationship?

Also, based on the answer to the questions above, what makes your definition of an ethical non-monogamous relationship better than, say, the definition other non-monogamous societies and religious groups have used in the past?

As the article described, there is no difference between what goes on between a monogamous relationship and a non-monogamous relationship.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 pm

Nap the Magnificent wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
So...bullshit someone pulled out of their ass.

"I don't like it when studies show polygamy is bad"

If you've got studies, post studies. Not shitty news articles reporting on studies.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:im cackling
an incel will be an incel, no matter what types of relationships are common.

If anything, mass acceptance of polyamory would be beneficial to incels (assuming they're not total shitbags that nobody in their right mind would want to date), since it would give them more potential dating partners.

Probably not. Due to differences in male vs female attractiveness metrics, the most common type of polyamorous relationship is likely to be polygynous in nature. This is borne out by the statistics we have (such as they are) which give some indication how it’s working on the ground:

There are more women than men: Essentially half of the respondents (49.5 percent) identified as female, while only 35.4 percent identified as male. The remaining 15.1 percent either declined to choose between male and female or wrote in “third” genders such as two-spirit and genderqueer.

The survey didn’t ask respondents to state their sexual orientation, but about half of the female respondents and about a fifth of the male respondents were actively bisexual, having had sex with both men and women within the preceding 12 months.

It’s likely to go the other way.

https://www.advocate.com/current-issue/ ... ry-numbers
Last edited by Galloism on Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Atlacatl Batallion
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlacatl Batallion » Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 pm

US-SSR wrote:
Atlacatl Batallion wrote:Can someone really point to a social good that comes out of polygamy/polyamory?

Also, can someone point to a meaningful difference between polygamy and polyamory?

I understand everyone has strong opinions regarding both, but the topic is whether or not, at the social level, they would do more harm than good, if I understand the OP correctly, not whether or not we should allow them per se.

1. People being accepted for who they are regardless of what kind of amorous relationships they choose to enter into.

2. Polygamy is one man taking multiple female partners. Polyamory is any number of individuals entering into an amorous relationship regardless of gender identity.

Got it? Good.

Your first point doesn't make sense. As not all amorous relationships are accepted, or should be accepted in society. As a matter of fact we look down and judge certain kinds of relationships as illicit because they tear apart society more than they bring harmony in it.

As for your second point, that a distinction without a difference. All you're really saying is it is more acceptable because you think one definition has to do with patriarchy and the other doesn't, which is not how definitions work.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:yes, but it seems like common sense to want there to be as few incels as possible

I mean, if we go with this logic, LGBT+ acceptance drives up instances of inceldom and is therefore, bad. Maybe the problem causing incels isn't the sexual and romantic practices of other people, but the incels themselves.

I mean...inceldom is driven by a number of factors that are not LGBT related. Considering a lot of incels tend to be straight (or at least the horrible examples from Reddit, and the one kid who tried to get me to date him like four years ago, who turned-out to be a cyber stalker), it tends more toward being a problem of guys having so little esteem, and so warped a view of love, that they only feel fulfilled by getting a chick to have sex with them. But I guess LGBT incels do exist? Sexual abuse isn’t exactly confined to straight people.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:ding ding ding
lack of relationship doesn't cause incelness
incelness causes lack of relationship

orrrr maybe psychology is more complex than that and there's some sort of feedback loop going on :thinking:

Orrrrrrrrrr millions of people don't have a relationship and don't turn into incels. It's not a lack of relationship that causes incels. Period. They're just garbage people.
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 23, 2020 12:17 pm

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:orrrr maybe psychology is more complex than that and there's some sort of feedback loop going on :thinking:

Orrrrrrrrrr millions of people don't have a relationship and don't turn into incels. It's not a lack of relationship that causes incels. Period. They're just garbage people.

Who would have thought that hating women would make women hate you?
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat May 23, 2020 12:17 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Blaming polyamory on the fall of empires and massive amounts of violence and radicalization is as fucking pants-on-head stupid as blaming the fall of Rome on gay marriage.

Congratulations on missing my entire point. Maybe you should go back, and actually read it instead of skimming.

I didn’t miss anything. You literally told Cek that they of all people should know better than to go against polyamory, since people go against transgenderism. They’re not the same thing. Transgenderism is a condition, polyamory is a relationship. Transgenderism is not a choice, polyamory is.

You missed the entire part where I stated that they're both instances of people getting butthurt over a harmless thing for bullshit reasons.

And uhhhhhh Solomon’s empire is explicitly said to have fallen more or less because when he got married, he began worshipping the gods of his wives. And then ordered the people to do so.

That sounds less like a problem with polyamory, and more like a problem with religious intolerance, and lack of separation of church and state. Come on, a 3rd grader could debunk these arguments.

I never would have said that Rome fell because of gay love, because Rome fell due to barbarian invasions and a breakdown of its infrastructure due to overexpansion (among other things).

I've actually encountered people (including one of my high school teachers) who have said that. I wasn't saying you said that, but I was comparing it to your and others' statements about polyamory.

This is assuming that I would make uneducated comparisons due to your rage at being told that a particular kind of relationship is unhealthy by basically everyone else. You’ve got an entire page of people asking you for proofs, and you’re more or less just defaulting to, “IT’S STUPID YOU GOTTA BELIEVE ME.” On any place other than an Internet forum, you’d be laughed out the room.

Again, burden of proof is not on me here. Its on all of you who are saying its bad. You are the people making the claims, you have to prove them, and collectively, the attempts so far have been piss-poor.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Sat May 23, 2020 12:18 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Polygamy, not polyamory.

I would like to provide a rundown of the events leading up.
GVH: I would also allow polygamy because I don't think it's bad either
Me: Actually, polygamy has been shown to have a number of bad effects
US-SR+Gren: Provide proofs
Me: k *provides evidence from studies investigating cultures where polygamy is practiced vs monogamous ones*
US-SR+Gren: This is bullshit! This isn't true! This says nothing about polyamory
Me: I was addressing the point about polygamy tho

I know, but, the links you used to show problems with polygamy, is not the same for polyamory, which a few were doing.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat May 23, 2020 12:18 pm

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:orrrr maybe psychology is more complex than that and there's some sort of feedback loop going on :thinking:

wow, nice job totally missing the point :/
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Atlacatl Batallion
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlacatl Batallion » Sat May 23, 2020 12:18 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Atlacatl Batallion wrote:
I have qualms with your use of "ethical".

What is an ethical relationship, exactly? And how do you define an ethical non-monogamous relationship?

Also, based on the answer to the questions above, what makes your definition of an ethical non-monogamous relationship better than, say, the definition other non-monogamous societies and religious groups have used in the past?

As the article described, there is no difference between what goes on between a monogamous relationship and a non-monogamous relationship.

Again, you're confusing the personal with the social.

You personally can be okay with polygamy. I don't care about your personal feelings about polygamy, because I didn't ask how do you feel about polygamy. We're discussing the social effects of polygamy.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat May 23, 2020 12:18 pm

Good sir and/or madam, I believe this post was overlooked.

Galloism wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
It's not fully about signing a document or not.
So no, polygamy is somewhat different to polyamory, and therefore the articles relating to polygamy are not related to polyamory.

Explain the difference.

It’s not that polyamory has multiple interrelated relationships. Polygamy has that sometimes, and polyamory doesn’t necessarily. It’s that there’s love between all participants, which polygamy has that sometimes, and polyamory doesn’t necessarily.

Barring the paperwork aspect, I’m really struggling to see any difference at all.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sat May 23, 2020 12:18 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:ding ding ding
lack of relationship doesn't cause incelness
incelness causes lack of relationship

orrrr maybe psychology is more complex than that and there's some sort of feedback loop going on :thinking:

This. It’s a vicious cycle that is perpetuated from the time a child is young. They grow-up into a bitter, disturbed individual with a warped view of what constitutes a successful relationship.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat May 23, 2020 12:18 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
I'm not the one making a positive claim. The burden of proof falls on them to show that polyamory is bad, not on me to disprove that claim.

we have though

And I've cast reasonable doubt on that "proof". The flat earthers have better proof for their claims than I've seen so far here.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Nap the Magnificent
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nap the Magnificent » Sat May 23, 2020 12:18 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Nap the Magnificent wrote:"I don't like it when studies show polygamy is bad"

If you've got studies, post studies. Not shitty news articles reporting on studies.

TIL that the Royal Society and World Journal of Psychiatry are just shitty news rags. :(
Orthodox Christian. Counter-Enlightenment. Communitarian. Working towards medical school. Pro-Achaemenid, anti-Athenian. Western civilization doesn't exist.
"The heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Sat May 23, 2020 12:19 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:Orrrrrrrrrr millions of people don't have a relationship and don't turn into incels. It's not a lack of relationship that causes incels. Period. They're just garbage people.

Who would have thought that hating women would make women hate you?

The Revolutionary Women's Anarchist Association (RWAA)

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Sat May 23, 2020 12:19 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:we have though

And I've cast reasonable doubt on that "proof". The flat earthers have better proof for their claims than I've seen so far here.

Or you're just exceptionally close minded on anything that doesn't conform to your pre-existing views when it comes to sexuality and gender issues lol
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat May 23, 2020 12:19 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
I'm not the one making a positive claim. The burden of proof falls on them to show that polyamory is bad, not on me to disprove that claim.

The claim you're making that their studies are false or don't apply falls on you to prove.

That's not how positive claims work, fam.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat May 23, 2020 12:19 pm

Galloism wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
I know you want to keep stating that polygamy is polyamory without paper work, but polyamory is not always the same.
And thus polygamy has more of a structure where one or a few people control others, which is not always the case with polyamory.

Those studies are therefore not focusing on polyamory.

Polygamy has multiple structures that are not always the same. Structures you described have existed.

Here’s what you are doing. Let’s say I want to engage in a practice of schtlicking. That’s my new word. It’s where when people have a disagreement, one can challenge the other to a schtlick. That’s where you back up back to back, walk at least 25 yards, and turn and shoot. One person wins and the other is dead.

And then, when you point out dueling had lots of bad consequences, I say “schtlicking is not dueling. In dueling, you only had to be ten yards apart. This is totally different. “

Then your head explodes from frustration.

For a better criticism: these studies focus on one particular kind of polygamy, and tell us nothing whatsoever about other forms of polyamorous relationships, even if we accept the validity of the studies at face value.
Last edited by Salandriagado on Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Nap the Magnificent wrote:I would like to provide a rundown of the events leading up.
GVH: I would also allow polygamy because I don't think it's bad either
Me: Actually, polygamy has been shown to have a number of bad effects
US-SR+Gren: Provide proofs
Me: k *provides evidence from studies investigating cultures where polygamy is practiced vs monogamous ones*
US-SR+Gren: This is bullshit! This isn't true! This says nothing about polyamory
Me: I was addressing the point about polygamy tho

I know, but, the links you used to show problems with polygamy, is not the same for polyamory, which a few were doing.

What are those differences?

Besides paperwork.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Pretend like anyone else knows what that means in context.

I'm pretty sure most people understand what the word 'cope' means.

Yes, but it makes no sense in this context.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm

Deacarsia wrote:Polyamorous relationships are morally wrong and damaging to society.

Human beings are meant to engage in only one intimate relationship, not multiple with multiple relationships with multiple partners.

Hahaha polycule machine go brrrrrrrt

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:Orrrrrrrrrr millions of people don't have a relationship and don't turn into incels. It's not a lack of relationship that causes incels. Period. They're just garbage people.

wow, nice job totally missing the point :/

An incel isn't just an involuntarily celibate person. It's a way of viewing partners (particularly women) and feeling entitled to romantic or sexual attraction. This mindset is not caused by not being in a relationship, nor would ENM being an accepted relationship type increase the number of incels and incel-adjacent people.
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Nap the Magnificent
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nap the Magnificent » Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Nap the Magnificent wrote:I'm pretty sure most people understand what the word 'cope' means.

Yes, but it makes no sense in this context.

Fam, you are coping hard rn fr tho and I think that is pretty obvious to a lot of people.
Last edited by Nap the Magnificent on Sat May 23, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orthodox Christian. Counter-Enlightenment. Communitarian. Working towards medical school. Pro-Achaemenid, anti-Athenian. Western civilization doesn't exist.
"The heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Sat May 23, 2020 12:21 pm

Galloism wrote:Good sir and/or madam, I believe this post was overlooked.

Galloism wrote:Explain the difference.

It’s not that polyamory has multiple interrelated relationships. Polygamy has that sometimes, and polyamory doesn’t necessarily. It’s that there’s love between all participants, which polygamy has that sometimes, and polyamory doesn’t necessarily.

Barring the paperwork aspect, I’m really struggling to see any difference at all.

-Sir-
Sorry it was.

Some people don't, but there is a difference, and those involved do know the difference.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General