NATION

PASSWORD

In Defence of All Lives Matter

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:59 am

New Bremerton wrote:They say that. They're either lying or oblivious to their own geographic and circumstantial privilege. They need to show some fucking gratitude to their host countries instead of spiting the white people who fought and voted alongside them to abolish slavery, repeal Jim Crow laws, and consign racism and white supremacy to the dustbin of history. It was white people living in HK who gave me a good education and inculcated the very liberal, democratic, inclusive values that BLM activists are now twisting and appropriating to serve their own hateful, divisive agenda. Unlike these woke activists, I am grateful. They are not.

This is just an absolutely perverse take.

I mean come on, really? They need to show gratitude to their "host country," whatever the hell that means, and thank the whites for ending slavery and white supremacy?

Number one, host countries are not a thing. And even if they were, are you trying to claim that America is merely the "host country" for the black community, centuries after the first slave arrived?

Number two, the idea that black people should thank white people en masse for abolishing slavery, or repealing the Jim Crow Laws is the height of stupidity. It was white people who instituted these systems in the first place. Were there important white campaigners for equality and civil rights? Sure, and their contributions should be recorded, noted, and respected. But attributing the end of slavery, or Jim Crow, to the actions of white people, for which the black community should be thankful for is nonsense.

Thirdly, racism, and white supremacy, are not in the dustbin of history, unfortunately for all of us. They are very real, very powerful forces that are still shaping our society.

EDIT: Also, please show an example of the BLM movement saying no other lives but black lives matter, since you have claimed that is what they are proposing.
Last edited by Jedi Council on Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:02 am

Jedi Council wrote:
New Bremerton wrote:They say that. They're either lying or oblivious to their own geographic and circumstantial privilege. They need to show some fucking gratitude to their host countries instead of spiting the white people who fought and voted alongside them to abolish slavery, repeal Jim Crow laws, and consign racism and white supremacy to the dustbin of history. It was white people living in HK who gave me a good education and inculcated the very liberal, democratic, inclusive values that BLM activists are now twisting and appropriating to serve their own hateful, divisive agenda. Unlike these woke activists, I am grateful. They are not.

I mean come on, really? They need to show gratitude to their "host country," whatever the hell that means, and thank the whites for ending slavery and white supremacy?

Number one, host countries are not a thing. And even if they were, are you trying to claim that America is merely the "host country" for the black community, centuries after the first slave arrived?

Number two, the idea that black people should thank white people en masse for abolishing slavery, or repealing the Jim Crow Laws is the height of stupidity. It was white people who instituted these systems in the first place. Were there important white campaigners for equality and civil rights? Sure, and their contributions should be recorded, noted, and respected. But attributing the end of slavery, or Jim Crow, to the actions of white people, for which the black community should be thankful for is nonsense.

Thirdly, racism, and white supremacy, are not in the dustbin of history, unfortunately for all of us. They are very real, very powerful forces that are still shaping our society.

Nitpick: white people did not invent slavery. Most slaves brought to the USA were bought from African tribes that kept slaves. So in a sense they did end something they did not start.

Still human trafficking and I agree with the main gist of your post.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:04 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:

Nitpick: white people did not invent slavery. Most slaves brought to the USA were bought from African tribes that kept slaves. So in a sense they did end something they did not start.

Still human trafficking and I agree with the main gist of your post.

Yes of course, I did not mean to imply that slavery was invented by white people, that shit has existed for thousands upon thousands of years.

I meant "slavery" in the context of the American system in particular.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Knask
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Knask » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:06 am

Nakena wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:Also, just to clarify, affirmative action is not racist. Period.

Funfact:
In Sweden, the Supreme Court has ruled that "affirmative action" ethnic quotas in universities are discrimination and hence unlawful. It said that the requirements for the intake should be the same for all. The justice minister said that the decision left no room for uncertainty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmati ... te_note-24

Sweden. Of all places.

That's not so strange. Sweden is very comfortable with nazi and racist ideology. There was no reckoning after WW2 like there was in the rest of the movie, and the quiet support Sweden gave to Nazi Germany under the guise of "neutrality" has similarly gone uncritizised.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:23 am

Knask wrote:

That's not so strange. Sweden is very comfortable with nazi and racist ideology. There was no reckoning after WW2 like there was in the rest of the movie, and the quiet support Sweden gave to Nazi Germany under the guise of "neutrality" has similarly gone uncritizised.

This is a pretty wild swing at Sweden, for a court ruling I'm pretty sure you haven't read.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:33 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:I think it was the analogy itself which burned to the ground there. :p

It was a bad one to begin with ;) Doesn't help that there are people who chant black lives matter and actually are racist towards others (e.g. would never allow their daughter to marry a white boy).

Sadly, I do not have a better slogan.

There can be more than one slogan. It's interesting to see the movement trying to resolve the "Defund the Police" and "Abolish the Police" into one plan of action. But when they do I hope they also find a better slogan. Neither of those is as good as Black Lives Matter.

Back in the sixties I hear, "Off the Pig!" was popular. It's a bit violent for my taste, but it has that ring.

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:43 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
US-SSR wrote:An analogy from a commentator on a slightly unrelated subject, JK Rowling's odd comments on transgender people. Just sayin'. [emphasis added]

The problem is that blacks indeed have it bad - but not the worst nor the only one in their category To use the house analogy: you have several house that are on fire, a fee houses where there is a little fire in the kitchen and a few that are fine now but at risk of the fire moving to them.
Black lives matter is interpreted as picking one of those burning houses randomly and ignoring the others, including the ones with children inside. Not the intent, but is how it is received.

Speaking of burning homes with children inside...
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:01 am

The Alma Mater wrote:Black lives matter is interpreted as picking one of those burning houses randomly and ignoring the others, including the ones with children inside. Not the intent, but is how it is received.

And this is the fault of people being bigoted, not Black Lives Matter.

I don’t see people begrudging Catholic Charities USA, the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, the Hispanic Heritage Foundation, the Birthright Israel Foundation, the Irish American Business Network, etc. the same way they do Black Lives Matter, even though the same superficial critique of “being perceived as singling out a particular demographic” could be levied at any of them. People are projecting a lot of other unspoken beliefs onto Black Lives Matter groups that they don’t do for other community-centered organizations.
“Brave as the battle roll of drum,
Strong as the surf when tempests come,
Throbbed all of Jersey’s hearts of oak,
When war upon the Jerseys broke.”

CyberNations class of 2007
Former Nation | Never Forget | Support Our Troops
...got milk? ;) Drink Pepsi, Defeat Communism

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:10 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:I think it was the analogy itself which burned to the ground there. :p

It was a bad one to begin with ;) Doesn't help that there are people who chant black lives matter and actually are racist towards others (e.g. would never allow their daughter to marry a white boy).

Since BLM is amorphous, there's alot of different people in there, some of whom are normal and some of whom are basically some dang old Afrika Bambata and the Zulu Nation racist ripoff. At day's end I'm still reluctant to associate with the movement because of the less than minimal amount of afrocentric bigots and white guilt liberals within it. I support ending police misconduct but that doesnt mean I totally support this specific movement. Black Lives do Matter, and saying they matter doesn't mean others don't, but police brutality doesn't only affect black people and even the BLM types have admitted the latinos are affected too, so why call it black lives matter? Why not just call it fuck 12, cause that was the label I went by for years and it worked fine regardless of your race.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:13 am

Brunswick-upon-Raritan wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Black lives matter is interpreted as picking one of those burning houses randomly and ignoring the others, including the ones with children inside. Not the intent, but is how it is received.

I don’t see people begrudging Catholic Charities USA, the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, the Hispanic Heritage Foundation, the Birthright Israel Foundation, the Irish American Business Network, etc. the same way they do Black Lives Matter, even though the same superficial critique of “being perceived as singling out a particular demographic” could be levied at any of them. People are projecting a lot of other unspoken beliefs onto Black Lives Matter groups that they don’t do for other community-centered organizations.

I'm not a fan of the hispanic heritage foundation and birthright Israel holds the same place in my view that an upside down cross holds in the eyes of a Christian. It's basically like evil incarnate and is nothing more than Israeli propoganda to try and convince young Jewish Americans to throw their lives away and go join the terror state. Alot of people have an issue with birthright. I mean how could you not unless you die hard like Israel and yet you aren't proud enough to show people the oppressed Arab populations?
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:14 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

I mean apart from the absurdity of this argument as a reason to judge Black Lives Matter, there are actually regular public opinion surveys that reveal Republicans are disproportionately segregationist compared to normal Americans (something like 1 in 10 would have a problem with a close relative marrying a Black person, according to either Pew or Gallup, a big firm) — and to date I don’t know of any Black Lives Matter groups that support racial separatism... That was more of a 1960s issue.

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:18 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

I'm not a fan of the hispanic heritage foundation and birthright Israel holds the same place in my view that an upside down cross holds in the eyes of a Christian. It's basically like evil incarnate and is nothing more than Israeli propoganda to try and convince young Jewish Americans to throw their lives away and go join the terror state. Alot of people have an issue with birthright. I mean how could you not unless you die hard like Israel and yet you aren't proud enough to show people the oppressed Arab populations?

I mean sure but are people going to just start banning every organization that isn’t called “Citizen Organization Number 486” or something? Where does the hysteria over nomenclature stop, if even something as innocuous as “Black Lives Matter” is considered controversial? I don’t really have a dog in any Birthright Israel or Hispanic Heritage controversy, my point was just that they’re not criticized for simply being based around a specific community as Black Lives Matter is.
Last edited by Brunswick-upon-Raritan on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:18 am

The Alma Mater wrote:It was a bad one to begin with ;) Doesn't help that there are people who chant black lives matter and actually are racist towards others (e.g. would never allow their daughter to marry a white boy).

I mean apart from the absurdity of this argument as a reason to judge Black Lives Matter, there are actually regular public opinion surveys that reveal Republicans are disproportionately segregationist compared to normal Americans (something like 1 in 10 would have a problem with a close relative marrying a Black person, according to either Pew or Gallup, a big firm) — and to date I don’t know of any Black Lives Matter groups that support racial separatism... That was more of a 1960s issue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /80637498/

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:20 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

I mean sure but are people going to just start banning every organization that isn’t called “Citizen Organization Number 486” or something? Where does the hysteria over nomenclature stop, if even something as innocuous as “Black Lives Matter” is considered controversial? I don’t really have a dog in any Birthright Israel or Hispanic Heritage controversy, my point was just that they’re not criticized for simply being based around a specific community.

I'm on the fence with black lives matter. On one hand you are right, ethnic communal organizations aren't alien to American soil, but on the other hand black people aren't the only people cops wantonly kill or abuse in America. If they were, my brother wouldn't have PTSD attacks everytime we drive past the park in town. For reasons I've gone over too many times.

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:24 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... /80637498/

Having an all-black meeting is not the same thing as saying you’re against interracial marriage or against all integration. It’s literally just a discussion group, and frankly I think it’s the library that’s discriminatory for kicking out a particular group from meeting because they want it to just be black people and people of color. Imagine if they kicked out a Narcotics Anonymous group for not including Alcoholics. It’s equally absurd.

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:27 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
I mean sure but are people going to just start banning every organization that isn’t called “Citizen Organization Number 486” or something? Where does the hysteria over nomenclature stop, if even something as innocuous as “Black Lives Matter” is considered controversial? I don’t really have a dog in any Birthright Israel or Hispanic Heritage controversy, my point was just that they’re not criticized for simply being based around a specific community.

I'm on the fence with black lives matter. On one hand you are right, ethnic communal organizations aren't alien to American soil, but on the other hand black people aren't the only people cops wantonly kill or abuse in America. If they were, my brother wouldn't have PTSD attacks everytime we drive past the park in town. For reasons I've gone over too many times.

Okay but it’s not the responsibility of private citizens to include an “ackshully there’s more to this issue than just Black people” disclaimer every single time they talk about police issues.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:29 am

Having an all-black meeting is not the same thing as saying you’re against interracial marriage or against all integration. It’s literally just a discussion group, and frankly I think it’s the library that’s discriminatory for kicking out a particular group from meeting because they want it to just be black people and people of color. Imagine if they kicked out a Narcotics Anonymous group for not including Alcoholics. It’s equally absurd.

Why should the meeting be racially segregated? How is a movement supposed to get white allies when it doesn't want them around in its meeting? You do understand if the roles were reversed ANYWHERE on earth, people would wanna kill someone, right? What if an Afrikaaner advocacy group wanted to have an all white afrikaaner meeting, is that ok?

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:30 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

Okay but it’s not the responsibility of private citizens to include an “ackshully there’s more to this issue than just Black people” disclaimer every single time they talk about police issues.

It isnt like they should be forced at gunpoint to do it but they would completely sway me onto their side if they did. I dont like that police violence is being turned into a black issue when it never was just a black issue. It's like turning drug trafficking into a latino issue. Or saying that being blown up in an explosion is an Arab issue.
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:34 am

Two things can be equally absurd without being analogous. What I mean is that was a very bad analogy ...

EDIT: I am in fact the Analogy Police. 100% brutality free, I don't even carry mace.
Last edited by Nobel Hobos 2 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:34 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

It isnt like they should be forced at gunpoint to do it but they would completely sway me onto their side if they did. I dont like that police violence is being turned into a black issue when it never was just a black issue. It's like turning drug trafficking into a latino issue. Or saying that being blown up is an Arab issue.

Good thing it’s not being turned into just a black issue, and Black Lives Matter has made police and criminal justice reform in general a hotter topic than anyone else was doing before...

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:38 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

Why should the meeting be racially segregated? How is a movement supposed to get white allies when it doesn't want them around in its meeting? You do understand if the roles were reversed ANYWHERE on earth, people would wanna kill someone, right? What if an Afrikaaner advocacy group wanted to have an all white afrikaaner meeting, is that ok?

I’m sorry, but do you have any proof this Black Lives Matter group is actually segregated or banning white people from participating in other activities?

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:42 am

Also where are the same complaints about culture-based college fraternities and sororities, or professional organizations like National Society of Black Engineers? Is it problematic for them to exclude white engineers?

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:43 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

I’m sorry, but do you have any proof this Black Lives Matter group is actually segregated or banning white people from participating in other activities?

They shouldn't be segregated against in ANY activity. Racial segregation is wrong. If I made a group called "Celebrating Cinco De Mayo" and then when some black guy tried to enter the conference hall I said "no you stay the fuck out. This is for esses only," do you think people would be cool with that or do you think I would end up like how Tupac ended up on the Las Vegas strip? What horrible thing would happen if BLM meetings included people of all races? Would people spontaneously combust?

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:44 am

Brunswick-upon-Raritan wrote:Also where are the same complaints about culture-based college fraternities and sororities, or professional organizations like National Society of Black Engineers? Is it problematic for them to exclude white engineers?

Not a fan of those either. I wouldnt like it if someone told me "stay out, this is a whites only residency hall" so I wouldn't want the same done to white people or anyone else.

In my society, we recognize race as bullshit and end racism by ending racial segregation of any forms. My society though is just a thought experiment and instead we live in the United States of Ulster, so I gotta deal with racist bullshit from almost every group out there.

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:45 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

They shouldn't be segregated against in ANY activity. Racial segregation is wrong. If I made a group called "Celebrating Cinco De Mayo" and then when some black guy tried to enter the conference hall I said "no you stay the fuck out. This is for esses only," do you think people would be cool with that or do you think I would end up like how Tupac ended up on the Las Vegas strip? What horrible thing would happen if BLM meetings included people of all races? Would people spontaneously combust?

As I pointed out, people don’t have the same complaints about groups like the National Black Chamber of Commerce for not including white-owned businesses...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General