NATION

PASSWORD

In Defence of All Lives Matter

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:57 pm

Skeckoa wrote:
Exxosia wrote:All lives matter says we should look outside racist parameters and try to find a solution.

Black lives matter says that black people are special in their victimhood and including others takes away from that. They would rather maintain their victimhood than have a solution to their problems because the only way to resolve it is to treat the entire thing rather than just their corner of it.

It's like if someone was being mauled by a bear, they have mild lacerations on most of their body but their leg is ripped to shreds. Black Lives Matter is saying we need to fixate on the leg, All Lives Matter is saying we need to do something about the bear. Black Lives Matter wants us to bandage the leg while the bear is still mauling away, when we really need to get the bear situation resolved and then give them first priority in the triage of care afterward.
I get that Black Americans do not have the monopoly on suffering in America, but let's be real, Black Americans take on more than the lion's share (alongside our Indigenous communities)

My thing is, and i think that a lot of people who ID with BLM would say, is that by the time that Black Americans feel comfortable being black in USA, we will all be better off.

The systems that bring black people down often bring non-black poor people down as well, and once those systems are eradicated and replaced, working-class Americans (the vast vast majority of us) will be better off.

Why can't we just call the movement "stop killing unarmed people and do your job right police!"
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:57 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Skeckoa wrote: I get that Black Americans do not have the monopoly on suffering in America, but let's be real, Black Americans take on more than the lion's share (alongside our Indigenous communities)

My thing is, and i think that a lot of people who ID with BLM would say, is that by the time that Black Americans feel comfortable being black in USA, we will all be better off.

The systems that bring black people down often bring non-black poor people down as well, and once those systems are eradicated and replaced, working-class Americans (the vast vast majority of us) will be better off.

Why can't we just call the movement "stop killing unarmed people and do your job right police!"

It should be called “protect and serve.”
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:59 pm

South Odreria 2 wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

It should be called “protect and serve.”

I would just call it "Stop it, get some help."
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:43 am

DC Mayor renames street near White House, St. John's "Black Lives Matter Plaza." just sayin'.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:54 am

US-SSR wrote:DC Mayor renames street near White House, St. John's "Black Lives Matter Plaza." just sayin'.

Orange Man DESTROYED by hero mayor with SOCIAL JUSTICE!
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:16 am

Aureumterra wrote:
US-SSR wrote:DC Mayor renames street near White House, St. John's "Black Lives Matter Plaza." just sayin'.

Orange Man DESTROYED by hero mayor with SOCIAL JUSTICE!

To be fair, Trump will probably get mad about it. It seems like everything pisses him off.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:40 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:Orange Man DESTROYED by hero mayor with SOCIAL JUSTICE!

To be fair, Trump will probably get mad about it. It seems like everything pisses him off.

Good. Let the toddler be mad and throw tantrums. It’s amusing to see him lose his shit.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:42 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Good. Let the toddler be mad and throw tantrums. It’s amusing to see him lose his shit.

I never said it was a problem. I'm just saying the mayor of DC kinda did strike a blow to Trump, since I know his next press conference will begin with "YOU RUINED THE STREET OUTSIDE MY HOUSE! FUCK YOU"
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:43 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I never said it was a problem. I'm just saying the mayor of DC kinda did strike a blow to Trump, since I know his next press conference will begin with "YOU RUINED THE STREET OUTSIDE MY HOUSE! FUCK YOU"

Did I said you found it problematic, Rojava? No, I didn’t. :)

Yes, the DC mayor hit that pig where it hurts and I’m amused by it. Trump and his small dick energy.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:08 pm

An analogy from a commentator on a slightly unrelated subject, JK Rowling's odd comments on transgender people. Just sayin'. [emphasis added]

This is also similar to an obtuse argument put forth by detractors of Black Lives Matter, both the slogan and the hashtag. In bringing attention to black lives, the argument goes, aren’t protesters negating the importance of other, nonblack lives? Don’t all lives matter?

And sure, they do, but this correction is tantamount to the fire department showing up and methodically dousing every single house on the block before dealing with the one that’s actually burning. All houses matter, but some houses are in need of more pressing attention.

...the circumstances are vastly different — no group in American history has been so brutalized as the black people it enslaved — but the heartbreaking refrain is the idea that marginalized populations are asked, again and again, to explain their own humanity to people who somehow see this act as stealing.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:23 am

ALL LIVES MATTER. There. I said it.

African-Americans and European Muslims who erroneously believe they are being institutionally and systemically "oppressed" by "white supremacists" in some of the most liberal, progressive, and enlightened societies on Earth need to stop demanding special treatment and being OPENLY racist, antisemitic, and intolerant toward everyone else because "racism = power + prejudice" or some such woke BLM BS. BLM activists love to hide behind the very legitimate issue of police brutality and state violence, which affects everyone, especially poor people of ALL races, as a means to push their racist agenda of favoring black and brown people above everyone else via vindictive "reparations" and discriminatory "affirmative action" programs. To these people, not all lives matter.

All Lives Matter stands against police brutality against ALL races, not just white cops against black suspects. In HK, where young protesters fight for freedom, ALL lives matter irrespective of race or religion, not just those who support the CCP. In Tiananmen Square on June 4th, 1989, ALL lives mattered.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:43 am

New Bremerton wrote:ALL LIVES MATTER. There. I said it.

New Bremerton wrote:...

This is murder. This motherfucker must be tracked down ASAP and charged with two counts of murder. Bring back hanging. [Note to mods: I'm calling for the reinstatement of the death penalty in the UK, not advocating mob violence.]

All lives matter unless you spit on a London transport employee.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Ideal Britain
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:46 am

Vassenor wrote:
Stanmenistan wrote:I've read a lot of articles by pro-Black Lives Matter groups about why they don't like the phrase All Lives Matter, but I've never seen anyone defend the All Lives Matter phrase instead. I am curious to see what supporters have to say on the matter. On the one hand, I understand that racial profiling and police brutality may be an issue but on the other, I see that law enforcement is necessary for any non-Utopian society and most police officers risk life and limb to save lives, not end them.

Any supporters of All Lives Matter are welcome here.

So maybe you can explain how "Black Lives Matter" somehow implies that other lives don't.

It doesn't. If I say "I have rights" It does not mean you don't.
No government officials in the US act like white lives don't matter.
An MT alt-history Britain.
Year: 2021

British mixed-race (white and South Asian) Muslim Pashtun, advocate of Islamic unity.

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:47 am

African-Americans and European Muslims who erroneously believe they are being institutionally and systemically "oppressed" by "white supremacists" in some of the most liberal, progressive, and enlightened societies on Earth need to stop demanding special treatment and being OPENLY racist, antisemitic, and intolerant toward everyone else because "racism = power + prejudice" or some such woke BLM BS. BLM activists love to hide behind the very legitimate issue of police brutality and state violence, which affects everyone, especially poor people of ALL races, as a means to push their racist agenda of favoring black and brown people above everyone else via vindictive "reparations" and discriminatory "affirmative action" programs. To these people, not all lives matter.

All Lives Matter stands against police brutality against ALL races, not just white cops against black suspects. In HK, where young protesters fight for freedom, ALL lives matter irrespective of race or religion, not just those who support the CCP. In Tiananmen Square on June 4th, 1989, ALL lives mattered.

We are living in liberal, progressive, and relatively enlightened countries, you are correct.

But we are also a flawed, imperfect society that has numerous issues, of which racism is just one.

People who say Black Lives Matter are not discounting the worth of others. No one in the BLM movement is saying that ONLY black lives matter. They are saying that we need our society to improve in order to live up to the claim that All Lives Matter.

A simple comparison can be seen in environmentalism. When people say "Save the Whales!" they are not saying "And fuck all other ocean life," that's just silly. Just as silly as saying BLM only wants black lives to matter.

Also, just to clarify, affirmative action is not racist. Period.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:59 am

Jedi Council wrote:Also, just to clarify, affirmative action is not racist. Period.

Funfact:
In Sweden, the Supreme Court has ruled that "affirmative action" ethnic quotas in universities are discrimination and hence unlawful. It said that the requirements for the intake should be the same for all. The justice minister said that the decision left no room for uncertainty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmati ... te_note-24

Sweden. Of all places.
Last edited by Nakena on Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:00 am

Nakena wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:Also, just to clarify, affirmative action is not racist. Period.

Funfact:
In Sweden, the Supreme Court has ruled that "affirmative action" ethnic quotas in universities are discrimination and hence unlawful. It said that the requirements for the intake should be the same for all. The justice minister said that the decision left no room for uncertainty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmati ... te_note-24

Sweden. Of all places.

Yikes, what a terrible ruling.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:44 am

Jedi Council wrote:

Yikes, what a terrible ruling.

Hmm. I never thought racial/background quotas were a good idea. There's no way of broadly enforcing racial balance (say at a university) which doesn't discriminate individually. But maybe they can figure a way with disadvantage scholarships that don't mention race but have much the same effect. Maybe acceptable since on the individual level it would redressing the disadvantage.

Article says gender quotas in Sweden might be broken too.

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:44 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

New Bremerton wrote:...

This is murder. This motherfucker must be tracked down ASAP and charged with two counts of murder. Bring back hanging. [Note to mods: I'm calling for the reinstatement of the death penalty in the UK, not advocating mob violence.]

All lives matter unless you spit on a London transport employee.

So the life of a London Tube employee, who BTW is black, doesn't matter? Are you seriously defending murderers now? Anyone, whether white, black, yellow or brown, who deliberately murders someone by spitting on them, is EQUALLY eligible for the death penalty. Their lives EQUALLY matter, and they can be EQUALLY forfeit.

Way to miss the fucking point with your complete nonsequitur and derailment NH2.

Jedi Council wrote:But we are also a flawed, imperfect society that has numerous issues, of which racism is just one.

I agree. I personally experienced racism at the hands of both white AND black people while I was studying in the UK. The incident involving hooded black youths across the street making Chinese noises at me was far more harrowing to me than the white, middle-aged guy on the bus who assumed I couldn't speak English and muttered "bloody Asians" down the phone at someone within clear earshot. The latter incident merely raised my temperature to boiling point. The former incident actually made me fear for my safety as a young, able-bodied man (feminists whining about women not being able to safely walk the streets at night should take note; men aren't safe either). But I have never once experienced actual, SYSTEMIC or INSTITUTIONAL racism at the hands of white people.

The smiling and friendly bus conductor who assumed I was Japanese and greeted me by saying "konnichiwa" wasn't being deliberately racist. The waiter in a rural English small town in East Anglia who spoke slowly so I could understand him wasn't being deliberately racist. The police officers who stopped and searched my school bag weren't singling me out on account of my race. I sensed no malice or ill-will from any of them. BLM activists may interpret such encounters as "microaggressions" and clear instances of systemic or institutional racism. They are not. To suggest that they are is pure paranoia. I think we're being really unfair to white people. In a world where BLM activists are in charge, all these people would be out of a job and literally forced to kneel before black and brown people. As an Asian, I will never kneel to anyone, white or black, and I won't demand that people kneel before me. It's like the struggle sessions and Cultural Revolution of Maoist China.

As I wrote on the "Merriam-Webster to redefine racism" thread, BLM activists seek to monopolize the English language by unilaterally redefining racism and sexism to specifically exclude white people, Jews, and men, and excuse overt anti-white racism, antisemitism, and misandry. They demand that companies, governments, and private individuals, including dictionaries of all things, adopt their Newspeak or else. This is racist.

They also insist that "words are violence" and "violent" speech justifies physical retaliation, making it abundantly clear to everyone where they and their fellow leftist travelers stand on the issue of free speech.

People who say Black Lives Matter are not discounting the worth of others. No one in the BLM movement is saying that ONLY black lives matter. They are saying that we need our society to improve in order to live up to the claim that All Lives Matter.

They say that. They're either lying or oblivious to their own geographic and circumstantial privilege. They need to show some fucking gratitude to their host countries instead of spiting the white people who fought and voted alongside them to abolish slavery, repeal Jim Crow laws, and consign racism and white supremacy to the dustbin of history. It was white people living in HK who gave me a good education and inculcated the very liberal, democratic, inclusive values that BLM activists are now twisting and appropriating to serve their own hateful, divisive agenda. Unlike these woke activists, I am grateful. They are not.

Also, just to clarify, affirmative action is not racist. Period.

Affirmative action is unequivocally racist and vindictive, especially when it causes Malaysian Indians, Asian-Americans, and indeed, many poor, white South Africans, to fall through the cracks. Collective punishment is a war crime according to the very international law that leftists hold dear. But it's ok if shit happens to white people (and Jews), amirite?

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:47 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:Yikes, what a terrible ruling.

Hmm. I never thought racial/background quotas were a good idea. There's no way of broadly enforcing racial balance (say at a university) which doesn't discriminate individually. But maybe they can figure a way with disadvantage scholarships that don't mention race but have much the same effect. Maybe acceptable since on the individual level it would redressing the disadvantage.

I fully support quotas and scholarships for the economically disadvantaged irrespective of race or gender. That's what universities should be doing. And guess who stands to benefit the most? Black and brown people.

Jack Thomas Lang
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Thomas Lang » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:52 am

I suspect one of the reasons All Lives Matter has received a visceral response is that it's one of the only ways one can respond to such a political slogan such "Black Lives Matter" without saying "durr no they don't" or "yes" (and in saying yes, seemingly accept all the political baggage that accompanies what on face value, should be an uncontroversial statement).

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:58 am

Jack Thomas Lang wrote:I suspect one of the reasons All Lives Matter has received a visceral response is that it's one of the only ways one can respond to such a political slogan such "Black Lives Matter" without saying "durr no they don't" or "yes" (and in saying yes, seemingly accept all the political baggage that accompanies what on face value, should be an uncontroversial statement).

If only they had opted for "black lives also matter"
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:13 am

New Bremerton wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I fully support quotas and scholarships for the economically disadvantaged irrespective of race or gender. That's what universities should be doing. And guess who stands to benefit the most? Black and brown people.

We agree then. I imagine putting a number on how disadvantaged a person is, and taking their school leaving mark, and putting both into a formula which decides if they get the place. Neither race nor gender would influence their "disadvantage score". But perhaps the quality of the school they went to should.

It can be justified thus: this is the school leaving mark they should have got, if they hadn't been disadvantaged from a young age.

To be really fair about it, extend the same formula for entry to highly advantaged students too!

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:46 am

US-SSR wrote:An analogy from a commentator on a slightly unrelated subject, JK Rowling's odd comments on transgender people. Just sayin'. [emphasis added]

This is also similar to an obtuse argument put forth by detractors of Black Lives Matter, both the slogan and the hashtag. In bringing attention to black lives, the argument goes, aren’t protesters negating the importance of other, nonblack lives? Don’t all lives matter?

And sure, they do, but this correction is tantamount to the fire department showing up and methodically dousing every single house on the block before dealing with the one that’s actually burning. All houses matter, but some houses are in need of more pressing attention.

...the circumstances are vastly different — no group in American history has been so brutalized as the black people it enslaved — but the heartbreaking refrain is the idea that marginalized populations are asked, again and again, to explain their own humanity to people who somehow see this act as stealing.

The problem is that blacks indeed have it bad - but not the worst nor the only one in their category To use the house analogy: you have several house that are on fire, a fee houses where there is a little fire in the kitchen and a few that are fine now but at risk of the fire moving to them.
Black lives matter is interpreted as picking one of those burning houses randomly and ignoring the others, including the ones with children inside. Not the intent, but is how it is received.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:55 am

I think it was the analogy itself which burned to the ground there. :p

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:58 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:I think it was the analogy itself which burned to the ground there. :p

It was a bad one to begin with ;) Doesn't help that there are people who chant black lives matter and actually are racist towards others (e.g. would never allow their daughter to marry a white boy).

Sadly, I do not have a better slogan.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General