NATION

PASSWORD

Languages of NSG

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Green October Z
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Languages of NSG

Postby Green October Z » Fri May 22, 2020 8:09 pm

What languages do you speak? Are you fluent in some and beginner in others? What languages do you wish to learn? How did you learn the languages you know?

As for myself, this is my linguistic knowledge.

English: Fluent

Vietnamese: My parents are Vietnamese and used to speak it to me as a little child, but when I started going to school I had trouble in class because my English wasn't up to par so my parents decided to speak to me in English only from then on. The end result is that my English became great while my Vietnamese greatly deteriorated.

Spanish: I took Spanish for two years when I was in high school. Frankly, the language sounded kind of ugly to me so I never cared to keep learning.

Japanese: I have taken four semesters of Japanese in university. It's an interesting and beautiful language, but very hard.
Made in America from Vietnamese parts!
History doesn't lie, communism kills!
Alignment: Chaotic Good
China lied, people died!

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri May 22, 2020 8:12 pm

Spanish: Not as good at it as my dad or my sister but I know it.

English: What I speak to most people since most of the folks in my area aren't latino.

Tagalog: I learned Tagalog because my girlfriend is Filipina, and I can write it pretty good and speak it...decently.

German: took it in highschool, didn't learn much beside the fact that German and military marches don't go well together.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri May 22, 2020 8:22 pm

Oh my, I was not even aware there was a plural of "language". I just thought it was a funny way of saying english!
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri May 22, 2020 8:50 pm

Kubra wrote:Oh my, I was not even aware there was a plural of "language". I just thought it was a funny way of saying english!

-Americans
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Fri May 22, 2020 8:53 pm

I'm fluent in German, but because I'm from Hessen, people try to correct me when I say something like "das ist mir" instead of "das gehört mir" or "das ist meins."

I also speak English, obviously, and I think it's pretty good. People understand me most of the time, anyway.

Finally, with all of my teacher's efforts, I know about ten words of Spanish. It's not great.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri May 22, 2020 8:55 pm

Geneviev wrote:I'm fluent in German, but because I'm from Hessen, people try to correct me when I say something like "das ist mir" instead of "das gehört mir" or "das ist meins."

I also speak English, obviously, and I think it's pretty good. People understand me most of the time, anyway.

Finally, with all of my teacher's efforts, I know about ten words of Spanish. It's not great.

*shouts in Revolutionary American* Hessian! Get her!

English, with smatterings of Latin, Ancient Greek, Sumerian, Akkadian, Egyptian, and ... other ones.

Oh, and I would never think of correcting your German.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Fri May 22, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Fri May 22, 2020 8:57 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:I'm fluent in German, but because I'm from Hessen, people try to correct me when I say something like "das ist mir" instead of "das gehört mir" or "das ist meins."

*shouts in Revolutionary American* Hessian! Get her!

English, with smatterings of Latin, Ancient Greek, Sumerian, Akkadian, Egyptian, and ... other ones.

I will not be gotten yet. I need to be involved in more wars first.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Fri May 22, 2020 8:57 pm

English poorly, Afrikaans more poorly, and Chilapalapa even more poorly. I'm not convinced I can even speak honestly.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri May 22, 2020 8:59 pm

Heloin wrote:English poorly, Afrikaans more poorly, and Chilapalapa even more poorly. I'm not convinced I can even speak honestly.

Well, you know ... Ethel says that English is his second language but he doesn't have a first language.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory » Fri May 22, 2020 8:59 pm

Indonesian - Native tongue
Japanese - Second language
English - Third language
TEMPORARILY USING NSTATS DUE TO LACK OF FACTBOOKS, BUT I'M JUDGING YOU (F7ERS) BY YOUR FACTBOOKS.
<< TERRAN INTERSTELLAR ADMINISTRATION >>
Adminyztrasyn Vilstityr Rasyn

THEMES: Peace | Tension | War | Victory | Defeat | National Anthem
NATIONAL Q&A
"For a vast majority of its existence, mankind dreamed to reach the stars. Yet today, reaching the stars is made a reality through joint endeavor."
- Operations Director of the T.I.A., Hilbert Lachlan Silverwell

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory » Fri May 22, 2020 9:03 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Heloin wrote:English poorly, Afrikaans more poorly, and Chilapalapa even more poorly. I'm not convinced I can even speak honestly.

Well, you know ... Ethel says that English is his second language but he doesn't have a first language.

Catspeak is Ethel's first language, Farn.
TEMPORARILY USING NSTATS DUE TO LACK OF FACTBOOKS, BUT I'M JUDGING YOU (F7ERS) BY YOUR FACTBOOKS.
<< TERRAN INTERSTELLAR ADMINISTRATION >>
Adminyztrasyn Vilstityr Rasyn

THEMES: Peace | Tension | War | Victory | Defeat | National Anthem
NATIONAL Q&A
"For a vast majority of its existence, mankind dreamed to reach the stars. Yet today, reaching the stars is made a reality through joint endeavor."
- Operations Director of the T.I.A., Hilbert Lachlan Silverwell

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri May 22, 2020 9:04 pm

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Well, you know ... Ethel says that English is his second language but he doesn't have a first language.

Not according to him.

Jack Thomas Lang
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Thomas Lang » Fri May 22, 2020 9:04 pm

English is my first language, but I can understand Russian fluently. Speak it, well, I can make myself understood more often than not.

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Founded: Nov 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Fri May 22, 2020 9:08 pm

english: native fluency

malay: poor but IRL functional, like B1 probably

french, chinese: very basic only, like A1 tier
Last edited by Questarian New Yorkshire on Fri May 22, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
REST IN PEACE RWDT & LWDT
I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger, traveling through this world below
There is no sickness, no toil, nor danger, in that bright land to which I go
I'm going there to see my Father, and all my loved ones who've gone on
I'm only going over Jordan, I'm only going over home

I know dark clouds will gather 'round me, I know my way is hard and steep
But beauteous fields arise before me, where God's redeemed, their vigils keep

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Fri May 22, 2020 9:09 pm

First language: English [pretty much by default]
Second language: French [semi-fluently]
Third language: Malay

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1! | 10/10 by DGES | Much hope: yes.
Low-effort responses since 15/5/20: 67½ | Good responses since 20/7/20: 5

mit zuckerguß

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Fri May 22, 2020 9:09 pm

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Well, you know ... Ethel says that English is his second language but he doesn't have a first language.

Is that even a language?

Stellonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Stellonia » Fri May 22, 2020 9:09 pm

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory wrote:Indonesian - Native tongue
English - Third language

How did you end up with that combination and order?

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Fri May 22, 2020 9:10 pm

English is my main language though I can speak and write some Spanish. That's really it. Oh, and tiny, tiny bits of German, Russian, Italian, and French.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Founded: Nov 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Fri May 22, 2020 9:10 pm

probably by being indonesian and learning japanese... :eyebrow:
REST IN PEACE RWDT & LWDT
I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger, traveling through this world below
There is no sickness, no toil, nor danger, in that bright land to which I go
I'm going there to see my Father, and all my loved ones who've gone on
I'm only going over Jordan, I'm only going over home

I know dark clouds will gather 'round me, I know my way is hard and steep
But beauteous fields arise before me, where God's redeemed, their vigils keep

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Fri May 22, 2020 9:10 pm

Stellonia wrote:
Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory wrote:Indonesian - Native tongue
English - Third language

How did you end up with that combination and order?

IRC he once said that he did live in Japan before.

Vince Vaughn
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Vince Vaughn » Fri May 22, 2020 9:11 pm

I'm a cocksman.
Work ethic. Work ethic.

Middle Barael
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Middle Barael » Fri May 22, 2020 9:12 pm

I am fluent in English
I am about a conversational level with Hebrew, as I have been learning it going on years now. I know more than enough to have a basic normal short conversation, but when talking about more complex things, I have trouble, and I sometimes stutter and mess up the conjugations when I’m trying to figure out how to say something.
I also make up very complex argots, ludlings, and language games.
Pro: Environmentalism, fighting climate change, social democracy, co-ops, police reform, LGBTQ rights, abortions, separation of church and state, democracy, assault weapon ban, proportional representation, multi-party states, Two-State Solution, Israel AND Palestine, pacifism, immigration, Anti-Racism, NHS-type Healthcare, culture, science, multiculturalism, UN, EU

Anti: Environmental destruction, fossil fuels, Trump, Laissez-faire economy, communism, far-right, homophobia, “Pro-Life”, dictatorships, one/two-party systems, guns, Netanyahu, Israeli settlements, Hamas, Jihadism, war, racism, anti-immigration, nationalism, fascism, chauvinism,

8Values
Social: Very Progressive
Economic: Social
Civil: Liberal
Foreign: Internationalist

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri May 22, 2020 9:14 pm

Asturian: fluent, it’s my first language and the language of the province I grew up in.

Spanish: fluent as I grew up speaking it too.

French: fluent, instructed in it at an early age.

English: fluent, I was required to learn it at an early age because of my dad’s nationality.

Catalan: fluent but learned later in life.

Gallego: fluent but learned later in life.

I have passing knowledge of Romanian, and can understand both Italian and Portuguese to a large degree (although I do not speak either language). Mild understanding of Japanese. Mild understanding of Hindi. I’m also currently learning Gaelic.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri May 22, 2020 9:25 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Asturian: fluent, it’s my first language and the language of the province I grew up in.

Spanish: fluent as I grew up speaking it too.

French: fluent, instructed in it at an early age.

English: fluent, I was required to learn it at an early age because of my dad’s nationality.

Catalan: fluent but learned later in life.

Gallego: fluent but learned later in life.

I have passing knowledge of Romanian, and can understand both Italian and Portuguese to a large degree (although I do not speak either language). Mild understanding of Japanese. Mild understanding of Hindi. I’m also currently learning Gaelic.

You listed Gallego and I thought, "Yes, she did have to learn to speak to Gallo ..."

Kantani Civilisation
Secretary

Founded: May 08, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kantani Civilisation » Fri May 22, 2020 9:25 pm

English: Born and raised speaking it, definite mother tongue.

Irish: I lived in Ireland for the first seven years of my life. The schools teach Irish - you have to ask simple requests (going to the toilet, getting a drink etc.) in Irish. I wish I'd kept learning it.

French: My father lived in Switzerland for a time (Zürich, though, so not exactly the French part), so I took up the only international language they taught at my primary school for about a year. Every Friday lunchtime, we'd go to a classroom to learn some French. I never really became that fluent in it, more's the pity.

German: In English schooling, or at least the school I went to, they sort you into two groups, learning French or German. Somehow it didn't get through to them that I'd started learning French, so I was sorted into German, learning it for under two years. It's probably the foreign language I best know, and I loved the classes, but I'm very out of practice.

(Side-note, this is the time that I moved to Australia. My first school taught no other languages at secondary-school level, but my second school taught Japanese, though having missed the first three years, I'd have been jumping in at the deep end.)

Abkhaz: I can speak some very simple phrases. That's probably more than can be said for most people, honestly, many of whom simply haven't heard of it. My main issue here is lack of resources and time.

Welsh: My family being Welsh, I tried to learn a bit of it recently through Duolingo. Again, more time than anything else, though I can speak some basic phrases in this too.

All-in-all, student of many languages, master of none. I hate it, honestly. Being a monoglot is boring, I just don't have much time with uni work still ongoing. Maybe once that's finished, I can try to learn another language.
Last edited by Kantani Civilisation on Fri May 22, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A primarily PT to MT nation.
Mixture of the aesthetics of Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia with a conlang and a conculture based around lots of water.
'Kantani Civilisation' is not the official name of the state. That's just a placeholder so that, if and when the dynasty changes, I can change the Kingdom name to match.
The Satavakal Kingdom
of
the Kantani
22M, gay, commie, Australian, history teacher (in training), overly dramatic, extremely obnoxious.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General