NATION

PASSWORD

What is a good Christian?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Thu May 21, 2020 4:52 am

SangMar wrote:
Confessional Korea wrote:Snip

Not bending the knee to a load of bollocks centred about a paedophilia-apologist sky fairy/sadist and its associated faith isn’t “ignorance” - it’s called being a realist.

Dude, as a fellow Atheist I'm gonna advise you try not to be quite so uncivil about it. Even if I agree with you, you don't need to be so hostile about it.

SangMar
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Thu May 21, 2020 5:00 am

Albrenia wrote:
SangMar wrote:
Not bending the knee to a load of bollocks centred about a paedophilia-apologist sky fairy/sadist and its associated faith isn’t “ignorance” - it’s called being a realist.

Dude, as a fellow Atheist I'm gonna advise you try not to be quite so uncivil about it. Even if I agree with you, you don't need to be so hostile about it.

My hostility isn’t from a “haha! How could these idiots believe in this junk?!” mindset of superiority, it’s from the point of, “If you’re claiming to be some kind of morally superior person on the basis of believing in a tyrannical sadist dressed up as a good person, then while I won’t insult you, I’m not going to humour your faith.”*

*In this context, “you’re” doesn’t refer to all Christians or just theists generally. Even so, I feel that my tone towards Confessional Korea isn’t that strong - and it shouldn’t be, as I haven’t seen them act in a way that’s portraying themselves as morally upstanding. (No matter how subjective that may be).
On Nationstates since 2012.
Nationstates’ Favourite Unknown and Autistic Tankie Eliminator!
B E G O N E T A N K I E DEGENERATE
Protip: Tankies =/= all communists.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

https://www.politicalcompass.org/analysis2?ec=-4.88&soc=-4.31

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Thu May 21, 2020 5:03 am

SangMar wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

My hostility isn’t from a “haha! How could these idiots believe in this junk?!” mindset of superiority, it’s from the point of, “If you’re claiming to be some kind of morally superior person on the basis of believing in a tyrannical sadist dressed up as a good person, then while I won’t insult you, I’m not going to humour your faith.”*

*In this context, “you’re” doesn’t refer to all Christians or just theists generally. Even so, I feel that my tone towards Confessional Korea isn’t that strong - and it shouldn’t be, as I haven’t seen them act in a way that’s portraying themselves as morally upstanding. (No matter how subjective that may be).

No worries then. I sometimes detect more hostility than actually exists in posts, what with text being difficult to read in that sense sometimes.

Sorry for the mistake.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Thu May 21, 2020 5:21 am

Solomons Land wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Love the flag, please keep it. :clap:

Can someone tell me the context of the quote from Sanctorum Militum. When I click of it, it says: "You are not authorized to view this forum."

It's exactly what it says on the tin.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Thu May 21, 2020 5:41 am

Solomons Land wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Love the flag, please keep it. :clap:

Can someone tell me the context of the quote from Sanctorum Militum. When I click of it, it says: "You are not authorized to view this forum."

He was later convicted of repeated egregious trolling, and had his nation deleted for it, and all his posts were deleted too by the moderators, so as a result the only remaining evidence of his prescence here are quotes of him
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Thu May 21, 2020 5:46 am

SangMar wrote:
Confessional Korea wrote:Snip

Tbh, this take makes it look more like lies and bigotry
Last edited by Hakons on Thu May 21, 2020 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Thu May 21, 2020 6:03 am

Hakons wrote:
SangMar wrote:

Holding intolerant opinions toward an intolerant religion isn’t bigoted. It’s akin to being an anti-racist/anti-fascist protestor at a Ku Klux Klan March. Secondly, there aren’t any lies in there.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

Confessional Korea
Attaché

Founded: Mar 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Confessional Korea » Thu May 21, 2020 6:07 am

SangMar wrote:
Hakons wrote:

Holding intolerant opinions toward an intolerant religion isn’t bigoted. It’s akin to being an anti-racist/anti-fascist protestor at a Ku Klux Klan March. Secondly, there aren’t any lies in there.

"It's bad for you to be intolerant of me, but its okay for me to be intolerant of you."
This is the funniest line ever. Stop worrying about someone saying you're bigoted. Who actually cares about a meaningless word like that lmao, just own it.
The Republic of Korea // Daehanguk // 대한국 // 大韓國
An AltHis Korea that adopted
Christianity and has been unified
for almost five decades. A global
economic giant and regional power.

Andechs-Sisebut
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Andechs-Sisebut » Thu May 21, 2020 6:19 am

Confessional Korea wrote:
Baja California Autonoma wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progres ... ristianity

You might be interested in this friend. Not all Christian people are like these people arguing for right beliefs instead of right actions.

"that seeks to reform the faith via the insights of post-modernism and a reclaiming of the truth beyond the verifiable historicity and factuality of the passages in the Bible by affirming the truths within the stories that may not have actually happened."
So it isn't Christian. Its a condemned heresy by the Catholic Church.

Andechs-Sisebut wrote:Yes, the Pope is wrong. He is a human being, he can be wrong, and this one often is. John XXII was wrong about the Beatific Vision; if Francis condemns the death penalty as inherently evil, he is wrong and contradicts every Pope before him. This isn’t an infallible pronouncement, so I don’t know where you’re getting that?

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is an exercise of the Ordinary Magisterium, he is not wrong and as a lay Catholic you must be obedient to it - it IS infallible. Church teaching on this issue hasn't changed but it has evolved. In the modern world, there is no place for the death penalty because we have advanced beyond the need for it. It was recognized as necessary for preserving the common good before developments made overtime. And the notion that the death penalty was always affirmed by every pope is wrong. The Church Fathers were split on the issue, some rejected it outright and some enthusiastically supported it. Clement of Rome seemed to imply that a legitimate moral authority could carry it out, but Athenagoras of Athens and Justin Martyr rejected it. The most popular opinion seemed to be that it was morally permissible for a legitimate authority to carry out the death penalty, but righteous for them not to.

I’ve put up my reply on the CDT for further discussion, as it is appropriate for that thread, and for other Christians to join in.
That was overcome, so may this be.

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Thu May 21, 2020 6:19 am

SangMar wrote:

"It's bad for you to be intolerant of me, but its okay for me to be intolerant of you."
This is the funniest line ever. Stop worrying about someone saying you're bigoted. Who actually cares about a meaningless word like that lmao, just own it.

It's called the paradox of tolerance. It's a thing.

Hakons
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Thu May 21, 2020 6:21 am

SangMar wrote:
Hakons wrote:

>comparing a Catholic poster to the KKK

Considering you’re plainly intolerant to me, who’s to say that I’m actually just being intolerant of your views because you’re intolerant to me? Your justification for bigotry and hateful language is irrational and can easily be applied to you. Further, holding to a religious view isn’t intolerance, no more than holding to a scientific theory is intolerance. Sticking up for what you believe in isn’t intolerance.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Thu May 21, 2020 6:23 am

SangMar wrote:

I’m sure you’d say the same if you could speak for a few minutes with a member of any terrorist group in the world today. You wouldn’t be a bad person for flatly denying their bullshit, whether it’s Islamic State, the C/N/R/IRA, or the Buddhists in Myanmar - it would not matter. So I’m glad you find it funny, but myself being intolerant of intolerance still doesn’t make me “bigoted”. Attacking a religion, and not the people within it (funnily enough, because I don’t think you or Hakons are quite literally the Catholic Church) isn’t myself being intolerant of any person either.

Besides, if I actually am bigoted for opposing a religion that shelters paedophiles and has a holy book that cannot bring itself to condemn slavery outright, then I’ll take that. But in return, should you say that I’m bigoted, I’m free to assume that you don’t oppose paedophilia or slavery - since you’ll be defending it by virtue of giving me a negative title for opposing the aforementioned religion.

Hakons
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Thu May 21, 2020 6:27 am

Duvniask wrote:
Confessional Korea wrote:"It's bad for you to be intolerant of me, but its okay for me to be intolerant of you."

It's called the paradox of tolerance. It's a thing.

It’s not a thing when you declare all Christians irrational and stupid, and then act super bigoted towards them

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Thu May 21, 2020 6:30 am

Temp-locking this thread until ya'll cool off, and this thread gets a much needed trawl.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General