NATION

PASSWORD

What is a good Christian?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Baja California Autonoma
Attaché

Founded: Feb 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Baja California Autonoma » Thu May 21, 2020 1:10 am

Andechs-Sisebut wrote:
Baja California Autonoma wrote:
Matthew 7:3
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Don’t like it when you get a taste of your own medicine do you? Perhaps you ought to apply that verse to yourself!

Romans 2:1
You therefore have no excuse, you who pass judgment on another. For on whatever grounds you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.

Andechs-Sisebut
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Andechs-Sisebut » Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 am

Andechs-Sisebut wrote:Don’t like it when you get a taste of your own medicine do you? Perhaps you ought to apply that verse to yourself!

You therefore have no excuse, you who pass judgment on another. For on whatever grounds you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.

This applies to you too, you realise?

Take the plank out of your eye before you point out the speck in mine!
Last edited by Andechs-Sisebut on Thu May 21, 2020 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
That was overcome, so may this be.

Islands of Washington
Spokesperson

Founded: May 11, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Islands of Washington » Thu May 21, 2020 1:15 am

I must say, I feel quite sorry for Green October Z to see what their Thread has become smh. :(
A nation of Great....Imperialism...
I do hope you enjoy your stay...Not that anything....bad may happen....
MUHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHA!

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Thu May 21, 2020 1:15 am

Andechs-Sisebut wrote:

This applies to you too, you realise?

Seeing as though this has descended into utter nonsense, perhaps you two should continue this incredibly inane back and forth over telegram.

Or better yet, take a step back, cool off, and come back to the thread with civility and patience.
Last edited by Jedi Council on Thu May 21, 2020 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Thu May 21, 2020 1:16 am

Jedi Council wrote:
Andechs-Sisebut wrote:This applies to you too, you realise?

Seeing as though this has descended into utter nonsense, perhaps you two should continue this incredibly inane back and forth over telegram.

Or better yet, take a step back, cool off, and come back to the thread with civility and patience.

Would that make one a good or bad christian ;) ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Thu May 21, 2020 1:17 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:

Would that make one a good or bad christian ;) ?

What would Jesus do?
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu May 21, 2020 1:20 am

Jedi Council wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Would that make one a good or bad christian ;) ?

What would Jesus do?

"But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also."

Walk away, cool off and be patient is probably good advice.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu May 21, 2020 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Thu May 21, 2020 1:20 am

Jedi Council wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Would that make one a good or bad christian ;) ?

What would Jesus do?

Kill a tree for not producting fruit offseason.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Baja California Autonoma
Attaché

Founded: Feb 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Baja California Autonoma » Thu May 21, 2020 1:21 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:What would Jesus do?

"But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also."

Understood. Good night.

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Thu May 21, 2020 1:21 am

The Free Joy State wrote:

My original post was sarcasm, but I would agree you are probably right
Last edited by Jedi Council on Thu May 21, 2020 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

VVerkia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby VVerkia » Thu May 21, 2020 1:23 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

Kill a tree for not producting fruit offseason.

I still waiting

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Thu May 21, 2020 1:27 am

VVerkia wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Kill a tree for not producting fruit offseason.

I still waiting

For what :) ? The tree to produce fruit ?
Good man :) Not very Jesus-like though, so perhaps not a good christian.

If you mean a source: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Thu May 21, 2020 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

SangMar
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Thu May 21, 2020 3:32 am

I have to say, having gone through the last several pages of this thread, that if there are ”good Christians” in this thread, they’re sadly a minority.

The vast majority of “devout” Christians in the thread or whatever, are not that. Which makes sense, considering the fact they’re supposedly made in “God’s” image. After all - if you’re choose to model yourself off of a book of fiction, with a childish “deity” who also appears to possess several personality disorders, who is also callous: demonstrated by “His” lack of intervention in the Catholic Church’s child abuse scandals - (which just proves that “God” is a weak, fictional being anyway) - then those people clearly aren’t going to be good human beings. Whether that’s excluding others based on your perceptions of their religious beliefs, using your faith to browbeat others or anything else.

Of course, those people will probably hate the fact that who they worship is just Satan in a white robe. As the people I’ve referenced are much closer to “Devil-worshippers” than good Christians - and though they might be too caught up in their “beliefs” to realise it, it doesn’t make it false.

The good Christians here are the ones being insulted and mocked by members of their own faith - supposedly, and yet still are standing strong and not wavering in their convictions - and also those who are accepting of those Christians who differ from the norm in views.
On Nationstates since 2012.
Nationstates’ Favourite Unknown and Autistic Tankie Eliminator!
B E G O N E T A N K I E DEGENERATE
Protip: Tankies =/= all communists.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

https://www.politicalcompass.org/analysis2?ec=-4.88&soc=-4.31

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

Confessional Korea
Attaché

Founded: Mar 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Confessional Korea » Thu May 21, 2020 3:55 am

Katganistan wrote:I am a Catholic, and you can go shit in your hat.

Well he's right. If you do not affirm the teachings of the Catholic Church then you would not be a Catholic.

SangMar wrote:The vast majority of “devout” Christians in the thread or whatever, are not that.

Mhm. I'm sure the atheist who used the rest of his paragraph to demonstrate an ignorance of Christian theology knows way better about people's individual spiritual lives than those people themselves :^)

SangMar wrote:The good Christians here are the ones being insulted and mocked by members of their own faith

Most of the people being "insulted and mocked by members of their own faith" are actually just being informed they are not following their own faith properly.

Baja California Autonoma wrote:I'm considering leaving the Catholic Church. Theres too many like you. All the worse for Jesus call to us to evangelize, you seem to be dissuading and shaming people in the striving for Christ.

If you're unwilling to respect the authority of the Church and affirm its teachings because they conflict with your personal beliefs, then you've already left the Church. You cannot be in communion with Rome if you do not submit to the Church, it is as simple as that. Disobedience is a borderline schismatic offence.
The Republic of Korea // Daehanguk // 대한국 // 大韓國
An AltHis Korea that adopted
Christianity and has been unified
for almost five decades. A global
economic giant and regional power.

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Thu May 21, 2020 3:59 am

Confessional Korea wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I am a Catholic, and you can go shit in your hat.

Well he's right. If you do not affirm the teachings of the Catholic Church then you would not be a Catholic.

I mean you're kinda right. Although, Kat would still be Catholic. Just one who is not in good standing with the Church.
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Thu May 21, 2020 4:04 am

It's kind of sad seeing you Christian folks yelling at each other. Bickering with you guys is us atheist's job. It's like you don't need us at all. :(

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Thu May 21, 2020 4:06 am

Albrenia wrote:It's kind of sad seeing you Christian folks yelling at each other. Bickering with you guys is us atheist's job. It's like you don't need us at all. :(

I mean we've been doing this song and dance for 2000 years with all the different heresies and schisms. And personally I find it more interesting arguing about theological viewpoints than having the sex abuse scandal come up for the umpteenth time in a conversation.
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Confessional Korea
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Confessional Korea » Thu May 21, 2020 4:07 am

Jedi Council wrote:And even taking the Wager at face value, using its own logic, the likelihood of choosing the right God/Gods is slim to none just because of the sheer number of them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progres ... ristianity

You might be interested in this friend. Not all Christian people are like these people arguing for right beliefs instead of right actions.

"that seeks to reform the faith via the insights of post-modernism and a reclaiming of the truth beyond the verifiable historicity and factuality of the passages in the Bible by affirming the truths within the stories that may not have actually happened."
So it isn't Christian. Its a condemned heresy by the Catholic Church.

Andechs-Sisebut wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I'm sorry, did you say the Pope was wrong?
It's held that when he makes a pronouncement like this, he is infallible.

How do you not know this?

Yes, the Pope is wrong. He is a human being, he can be wrong, and this one often is. John XXII was wrong about the Beatific Vision; if Francis condemns the death penalty as inherently evil, he is wrong and contradicts every Pope before him. This isn’t an infallible pronouncement, so I don’t know where you’re getting that?

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is an exercise of the Ordinary Magisterium, he is not wrong and as a lay Catholic you must be obedient to it - it IS infallible. Church teaching on this issue hasn't changed but it has evolved. In the modern world, there is no place for the death penalty because we have advanced beyond the need for it. It was recognized as necessary for preserving the common good before developments made overtime. And the notion that the death penalty was always affirmed by every pope is wrong. The Church Fathers were split on the issue, some rejected it outright and some enthusiastically supported it. Clement of Rome seemed to imply that a legitimate moral authority could carry it out, but Athenagoras of Athens and Justin Martyr rejected it. The most popular opinion seemed to be that it was morally permissible for a legitimate authority to carry out the death penalty, but righteous for them not to.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Thu May 21, 2020 4:10 am

Dylar wrote:
Albrenia wrote:It's kind of sad seeing you Christian folks yelling at each other. Bickering with you guys is us atheist's job. It's like you don't need us at all. :(

I mean we've been doing this song and dance for 2000 years with all the different heresies and schisms. And personally I find it more interesting arguing about theological viewpoints than having the sex abuse scandal come up for the umpteenth time in a conversation.

That's fair, I guess.

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Thu May 21, 2020 4:24 am

Confessional Korea wrote:Snip

Not bending the knee to a load of bollocks centred about a paedophilia-apologist sky fairy/sadist and its associated faith isn’t “ignorance” - it’s called being a realist.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

Confessional Korea
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Confessional Korea » Thu May 21, 2020 4:28 am

SangMar wrote:
Confessional Korea wrote:Snip

Not bending the knee to a load of bollocks centred about a paedophilia-apologist sky fairy/sadist and its associated faith isn’t “ignorance” - it’s called being a realist.

Not what I said. I said that you're an atheist who demonstrated an ignorance of Christian theology. That ignorance was unrelated to your lack of belief, because there are plenty of atheists who do understand Christian theology. You don't even understand the basics of our faith but you're happy to criticize them. I don't expect anything better from someone who pulls out a line like "sky fairy". The depth of your knowledge is atheist memes and cartoon depictions of God.

Confessional Korea
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Confessional Korea » Thu May 21, 2020 4:34 am

Katganistan wrote:
Atheris wrote:Is abortion even against the Bible?

No, actually. It's not. Especially since there is a passage about "bitter waters" you can look up, oh and about smashing baby's brains out, and paying the husband if one causes the death of their wife's fetus.

There is no passage in the Bible that explicitly bans it, but several about killing firstborns.

This is just plain incorrect. I am yet to find a single Rabbinical commentary that upholds the notion that the "bitter waters" of Numbers 5 causes abortion. On the contrary, Jewish and Christian tradition seems to uphold that it caused infertility among adulterers and rekindled fertility to those who were not.

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Thu May 21, 2020 4:36 am

SangMar wrote:

Not what I said. I said that you're an atheist who demonstrated an ignorance of Christian theology. That ignorance was unrelated to your lack of belief, because there are plenty of atheists who do understand Christian theology. You don't even understand the basics of our faith but you're happy to criticize them. I don't expect anything better from someone who pulls out a line like "sky fairy". The depth of your knowledge is atheist memes and cartoon depictions of God.

It’s funny how accuse of me of be ignorant about Christian theology yet pull out the tired line about “atheist memes” and “cartoon depictions” of “God”. I don’t believe that atheists are a monolith, nor do I believe that adherents to faiths are - so for you to think that I get all of my knowledge from memes - which is just a way to deflect criticism anyway, is quite laughable. If you can only go “atheist memes!!!” in response to what I have said, then you’ve already lost the argument.

Confessional Korea
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Confessional Korea » Thu May 21, 2020 4:39 am

SangMar wrote:
Confessional Korea wrote:Not what I said. I said that you're an atheist who demonstrated an ignorance of Christian theology. That ignorance was unrelated to your lack of belief, because there are plenty of atheists who do understand Christian theology. You don't even understand the basics of our faith but you're happy to criticize them. I don't expect anything better from someone who pulls out a line like "sky fairy". The depth of your knowledge is atheist memes and cartoon depictions of God.

It’s funny how accuse of me of be ignorant about Christian theology yet pull out the tired line about “atheist memes” and “cartoon depictions” of “God”. I don’t believe that atheists are a monolith, nor do I believe that adherents to faiths are - so for you to think that I get all of my knowledge from memes - which is just a way to deflect criticism anyway, is quite laughable. If you can only go “atheist memes!!!” in response to what I have said, then you’ve already lost the argument.

Bringing up stuff like "Sky fairy" to paint that as the Christian notion of God is a demonstration that you do not understand our theology. The belief in an anthropomorphic deity is inherently polytheistic, a phenomenon unique to European paganism. Everything you've brought up re: Christianity is just a pathetic regurgitation of the New Atheist movements talking points, which is why I referred to them as memes.

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Thu May 21, 2020 4:46 am

SangMar wrote:

Bringing up stuff like "Sky fairy" to paint that as the Christian notion of God is a demonstration that you do not understand our theology. The belief in an anthropomorphic deity is inherently polytheistic, a phenomenon unique to European paganism. Everything you've brought up re: Christianity is just a pathetic regurgitation of the New Atheist movements talking points, which is why I referred to them as memes.

Actually no, “sky fairy” was used in this context as a term of dismissal towards the idea of a believe in a higher power - you can claim that I tried to use that phrase to make it appear that I believed God has a physical form, but then you’d be wrong. Also, I really couldn’t care less about “New Atheist movements” and their talking points - as it might surprise you, but I don’t bother to know what those ‘talking points’ are. I’m really not as invested in atheism as much as you might like to assume. The point remains, if there is a “God” they’re far from good, they’re merely a demon who has billions of people fooled.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General