NATION

PASSWORD

What is a good Christian?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Wed May 20, 2020 10:08 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Nibba, can you not read lmao. Fucking hell this place tries my patience.

Perhaps if it is too taxing for you you should lie down.

Yeah? Nah

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed May 20, 2020 10:08 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
They can disagree all they want, sure. They're not going to be in good standing, though.

I mean, you can ignore the fact that you're automatically excommunicated. That doesn't make you not-excommunicated.

Would a kind, merciful, and benevolent God really be as judgmental and selective as your seemingly strict expectations are?

It seems to be that a being who is as intelligent, is as loving, is as great as the supposed creator of the universe might be a little more flexible, particularly having created humans with free will.

It's not a strict expectation for people to not advocate for murder of innocents. Which is what the Catholic position is.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Wed May 20, 2020 10:09 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:Would a kind, merciful, and benevolent God really be as judgmental and selective as your seemingly strict expectations are?

It seems to be that a being who is as intelligent, is as loving, is as great as the supposed creator of the universe might be a little more flexible, particularly having created humans with free will.

It's not a strict expectation for people to not advocate for murder of innocents. Which is what the Catholic position is.

That comment was not in reference to murder, nor abortion.

Primarily it was in reference to you saying those Catholics who take Birth control would not be in good standing.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed May 20, 2020 10:09 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Aeritai wrote:My question still hasn't been answered, so I'll ask again. Wouldn't this question be better asked in the CDT? I feel like it would at least be more "civil" there.

The CDT is an echo chamber. So if with civil you mean "everyone would agree with me" - yes, it would be more civil.

You know, just because you get BTFO'd out of the CDT whenever you make edge-posts doesn't make it an echo chamber.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed May 20, 2020 10:10 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

That comment was not in reference to murder, nor abortion.

Primarily it was in reference to you saying those Catholics who take Birth control would not be in good standing.

I meant abortion.

You don't get auto-excommunicated for using non-abortafacient contraception.

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:11 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Atheris wrote:Kat's a better Christian than me. I doubt Kat has ever wavered from worshiping the Lord, and if she has, she certainly never acts like it. What you need to be a true Christian is to treat others with respect, obey the Trinity and the Father's commandments, and just generally not be a dick. You're failing at two of those, and just generally being a hypocrite. Kat's doing all three. Shush.

>Kats a better Christian
I mean, whether she is a Christian is in doubt so... X for doubt

>Doubt that Kat has ever wavered in worshiping the Lord
Can’t say much on this because he utter lack of posts about worshiping God

> treat others with respect, obey the Trinity and the Father's commandments, and just generally not be a dick
First one is meh in her part, second one she definitely doesn’t do no doubt, and the last one is retarded

I would like to observe that this kind of post is not ok.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Wed May 20, 2020 10:11 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:That comment was not in reference to murder, nor abortion.

I meant abortion.

Progress of a kind I suppose
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Wed May 20, 2020 10:11 pm

Godular wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
It was a long time ago, so I wouldn’t expect you to remember it

I can generally recall all the arguments that have been thrown at me in the various iterations of the thread. I remember somebody called me a lunatic once in the most recently locked iteration, I think that was Hakons...

But not that. Did they invite me over to the CDT in order to 'eviscerate' my position? Generally if I bring up any kind of thing for Christianity it is specifically for the purpose of pointing out historical inconsistencies when folks say 'IT'S ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY' when in all actually it was not.

In a similar vein, perceptions of what makes a 'Good Christian' change over time, though some people are more resistant to change than others.

Sounds like something Hakon’s would say, could be someone else tho, I don’t have a collection of links to the pages.

No, I think it was on the Abortion thread, though I’m sure the same argument has been had on the CDT.

It’s been pretty consistent in the Catholic Church lmao

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed May 20, 2020 10:12 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:That comment was not in reference to murder, nor abortion.

I meant abortion.

Soooo, they're fine with condoms and the pill?
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed May 20, 2020 10:12 pm

Nakena wrote:
Aeritai wrote:My question still hasn't been answered, so I'll ask again. Wouldn't this question be better asked in the CDT? I feel like it would at least be more "civil" there.

tbh this thread should be merged into the CDT for good measure.

Honestly, I think this thread should just not continue.

It's not constructive and everyone is just pissed off.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed May 20, 2020 10:12 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:The CDT is an echo chamber. So if with civil you mean "everyone would agree with me" - yes, it would be more civil.

You know, just because you get BTFO'd out of the CDT whenever you make edge-posts doesn't make it an echo chamber.

True, that does not.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed May 20, 2020 10:13 pm

Godular wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
I meant abortion.

They're not. You just don't get auto-excommunicated.

Excommunication is for doing things that are about the worst things possible you can do as a Catholic.

South Odreria 2
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:13 pm

Godular wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:I meant abortion.

Here's the answer you're looking for:
Salus Maior wrote:I meant abortion.

Valrifell wrote:

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Wed May 20, 2020 10:13 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Nakena wrote:

Agreed
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed May 20, 2020 10:14 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Nakena wrote:

Amusingly, I have to agree. It does seem to be causing a number of folks to behave in a rather supercilious manner.

*checks to see if 'supercilious' was used correctly*

Woo!
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed May 20, 2020 10:15 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
While a tangent better suited for the abortion thread perhaps - why does this order exist ? What is the scriptural justification; or is a more a matter of "we are Catholics, we say so" ?

There are also plenty of people who have some disagreement with some part of the Catholic Church. I mean a great many Catholics support the use of contraceptives.

Even the pope had stated in the face of the Zika virus that preventing pregnancy was not evil and that African nuns were allowed to distribute contraceptives in the case of rape.
Last edited by Katganistan on Wed May 20, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Thomas Lang
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Thomas Lang » Wed May 20, 2020 10:15 pm

Salus Maior wrote:Honestly, I think this thread should just not continue.

I agree. "What is a good X" is a bad question for NationStates, because those who aren't X may post their views, which may come across as condescending, ignorant, or in bad faith. I can just imagine the shit-show if we had a "What is a good communist" thread, for example.
Last edited by Jack Thomas Lang on Wed May 20, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed May 20, 2020 10:15 pm

Godular wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Amusingly, I have to agree. It does seem to be causing a number of folks to behave in a rather supercilious manner.

Woo!

We're all on edge because of the quarantine and current events. None of us here are our best selves.

South Odreria 2
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:16 pm

Well before things either end or get salvaged, a good Christian is someone who worships Jesus Christ as the Son of God and the savior of humanity and does their best to be like him.
Valrifell wrote:

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed May 20, 2020 10:16 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:There are also plenty of people who have some disagreement with some part of the Catholic Church. I mean a great many Catholics support the use of contraceptives.
was
Even the pope had stated in the face of the Zika virus that preventing pregnancy was not evil and that African nuns were allowed to distribute contraceptives in the case of rape.

I don't suppose you can actually source that?

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Wed May 20, 2020 10:17 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Katganistan wrote: was

Voila
Last edited by Jedi Council on Wed May 20, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed May 20, 2020 10:17 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Godular wrote:

Woo!

We're all on edge because of the quarantine and current events. None of us here are our best selves.

Shoo, we're getting in to summer, which is my natural hibernation period. I'm like an anti-bear.
New to F7? Click here!

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Wed May 20, 2020 10:17 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

Probably one of the hundred or so articles that misquote or misappropriate what the Holy Father said.

South Odreria 2
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:19 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

May I introduce you to google
https://www.catholicnews.com/services/e ... e-says.cfm
Last edited by South Odreria 2 on Wed May 20, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Valrifell wrote:

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Wed May 20, 2020 10:19 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Probably one of the hundred or so articles that misquote or misappropriate what the Holy Father said.

Feel free to judge for yourself
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General