NATION

PASSWORD

What is a good Christian?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed May 20, 2020 9:58 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:When you spoke of the Popes.

Ah, so I did. 'Tis late.

You'll pardon me that I do not recall being sufficiently 'corrected' on the matter. But discussion of such would be better suited to the megathread.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed May 20, 2020 9:59 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you

Yeah, being on a forum and commenting on how you worship God ain’t the same thing as that lmao.
I would think stating she is Catholic would be sufficient for that.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed May 20, 2020 9:59 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:What is needed to be considered part of the set of Christians. For instance a prime number is the set of whole numbers greater than 1 that are only divisible by itself and one.

The Nicene Creed is a good start for the basics. That is what it was made for.

However, there's a bit more to it for being a Catholic in good standing. Especially since there is a standing Latae Sentientiae Excommunication order for people who procure or advocate for abortion. Which is to say, a Catholic who advocates for abortion is automatically excommunicated. Which is a bad place to be.

While a tangent better suited for the abortion thread perhaps - why does this order exist ? What is the scriptural justification; or is a more a matter of "we are Catholics, we say so" ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Wed May 20, 2020 9:59 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Joohan wrote:
Again, every statement for you is a no true scotsman statement.

For those Christians whom are part of a church that does have an objective measurement though, we do have a basis for defining Christian like behavior.

The funny thing is your definition is fluid and changes. I daresay that christian from 2000 years ago would not consider any of the people here christians.

Probably, but that's because the Church has had 2000 years of history to figure out what it means to be Christian. The gospels didn't change, but our interpretation has through the centuries, as the church faced new challenges and questions which couldn't have been accounted for during the days of the early church. Nothing in the bible speaks of modern abortion, nor could the people's of the 30 A.D. probably conceived the notion - thus, a changing church looks back upon the teachings of the gospel and the holy traditions in order to find an answer most in line with God's plan.

So no, we're not the same church we were 2000 years ago, we've been better defined by adversity through the centuries.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:59 pm

Baja California Autonoma wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/04/opinion/sunday/what-religion-would-jesus-belong-to.html

This articulates my argument best.

This article comes dangerously close to denying the divinity of Christ.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed May 20, 2020 10:00 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

However, there's a bit more to it for being a Catholic in good standing. Especially since there is a standing Latae Sentientiae Excommunication order for people who procure or advocate for abortion. Which is to say, a Catholic who advocates for abortion is automatically excommunicated. Which is a bad place to be.

While a tangent better suited for the abortion thread perhaps - why does this order exist ? What is the scriptural justification; or is a more a matter of "we are Catholics, we say so" ?

There are also plenty of people who have some disagreement with some part of the Catholic Church. I mean a great many Catholics support the use of contraceptives.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed May 20, 2020 10:00 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

*bibbidy boop*
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Wed May 20, 2020 10:00 pm

Godular wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:When you spoke of the Popes.

Ah, so I did. 'Tis late.

You'll pardon me that I do not recall being sufficiently 'corrected' on the matter. But discussion of such would be better suited to the megathread.

It was a long time ago, so I wouldn’t expect you to remember it

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Wed May 20, 2020 10:01 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Yeah, being on a forum and commenting on how you worship God ain’t the same thing as that lmao.
I would think stating she is Catholic would be sufficient for that.

Hmmmmm, fair point I suppose.

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Wed May 20, 2020 10:01 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Joohan wrote:
Different strokes for different folks. No one should be prevented from their evangelism though.

I dunno. That guy that went to an island filled with primitive natives and got filled with sharp pointy things while at the same time posing a health risk to said natives perhaps should have been stopped at a slightly earlier stage of his evangelism.

Most evangelism usually consists of soup kitchens and going to new neighborhoods. That dude was probably an exception to the rule - just for the health risk he posed to the natives.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Wed May 20, 2020 10:01 pm

Joohan wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
The funny thing is your definition is fluid and changes. I daresay that christian from 2000 years ago would not consider any of the people here christians.

Probably, but that's because the Church has had 2000 years of history to figure out what it means to be Christian. The gospels didn't change, but our interpretation has through the centuries, as the church faced new challenges and questions which couldn't have been accounted for during the days of the early church. Nothing in the bible speaks of modern abortion, nor could the people's of the 30 A.D. probably conceived the notion - thus, a changing church looks back upon the teachings of the gospel and the holy traditions in order to find an answer most in line with God's plan.

So no, we're not the same church we were 2000 years ago, we've been better defined by adversity through the centuries.

But who is to say early Christians for would agree with this further definition?
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed May 20, 2020 10:01 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Because abortion is a severe violation of Catholic principles, simply put. And, practically speaking, it likely exists for that in particular (as opposed to other forms of murder) because it's such a high profile issue in our modern world.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed May 20, 2020 10:02 pm

Aeritai wrote:My question still hasn't been answered, so I'll ask again. Wouldn't this question be better asked in the CDT? I feel like it would at least be more "civil" there.

Why? The people who are being least civil are some holding themselves up as the examples of good Christians.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed May 20, 2020 10:03 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

There are also plenty of people who have some disagreement with some part of the Catholic Church. I mean a great many Catholics support the use of contraceptives.

They can disagree all they want, sure. They're not going to be in good standing, though.

I mean, you can ignore the fact that you're automatically excommunicated. That doesn't make you not in a state of excommunication.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Wed May 20, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed May 20, 2020 10:03 pm

Joohan wrote:Nothing in the bible speaks of modern abortion, nor could the people's of the 30 A.D. probably conceived the notion

As mentioned, the Bible contains verses on accidentally causing a miscarriage (optional fine if the husband deems it necessasry) as well as descriptions of brews that can be given to a woman to let the fruit depart (perfectly ok). And numerous accounts of how it is fine to slaughter possibly pregnant women for many different reasons.

People back then knew perfectly well what pregnancies were and how to terminate them.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Wed May 20, 2020 10:04 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Aeritai wrote:My question still hasn't been answered, so I'll ask again. Wouldn't this question be better asked in the CDT? I feel like it would at least be more "civil" there.

Why? The people who are being least civil are some holding themselves up as the examples of good Christians.

We aren’t, but I doubt you’d fucking care lmao

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Wed May 20, 2020 10:04 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:There are also plenty of people who have some disagreement with some part of the Catholic Church. I mean a great many Catholics support the use of contraceptives.

They can disagree all they want, sure. They're not going to be in good standing, though.

I mean, you can ignore the fact that you're automatically excommunicated. That doesn't make you not-excommunicated.

Would a kind, merciful, and benevolent God really be as judgmental and selective as your seemingly strict expectations are?

It seems to be that a being who is as intelligent, is as loving, is as great as the supposed creator of the universe might be a little more flexible, particularly having created humans with free will.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed May 20, 2020 10:05 pm

The CDT is an echo chamber. So if with civil you mean "everyone would agree with me" - yes, it would be more civil.

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Wed May 20, 2020 10:05 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Why? The people who are being least civil are some holding themselves up as the examples of good Christians.

Kat has been very, very civil considering the barrage of criticism she has come under in the last few pages.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed May 20, 2020 10:07 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Joohan wrote:Nothing in the bible speaks of modern abortion, nor could the people's of the 30 A.D. probably conceived the notion

As mentioned, the Bible contains verses on accidentally causing a miscarriage (optional fine if the husband deems it necessasry) as well as descriptions of brews that can be given to a woman to let the fruit depart (perfectly ok). And numerous accounts of how it is fine to slaughter possibly pregnant women for many different reasons.

People back then knew perfectly well what pregnancies were and how to terminate them.

That's not an accurate description of what's in the Bible.

I've already written why I think the "bitter drink" thing is a weak justification for abortion, but so is the fine for that matter. It's not seen in a positive light what happens, and it's an act of violence against a pregnant woman. Wartime violence is also a laughably weak justification, and it borders on admitting that abortion is murder or a war crime.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Wed May 20, 2020 10:07 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Kat has been very, very civil considering the barrage of criticism she has come under in the last few pages.

Nibba, can you not read lmao. Fucking hell this place tries my patience, well has tried considering I’ve been pushed to being uncivil.
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Wed May 20, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Wed May 20, 2020 10:07 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:Kat has been very, very civil considering the barrage of criticism she has come under in the last few pages.

Nibba, can you not read lmao. Fucking hell this place tries my patience.

Perhaps if it is too taxing for you you should lie down.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Wed May 20, 2020 10:08 pm

Katganistan wrote:

I was just curious I thought threads that talked about Christianity merge with the CDT?
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed May 20, 2020 10:08 pm

tbh this thread should be merged into the CDT for good measure.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed May 20, 2020 10:08 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Godular wrote:
Ah, so I did. 'Tis late.

It was a long time ago, so I wouldn’t expect you to remember it

I can generally recall all the arguments that have been thrown at me in the various iterations of the thread. I remember somebody called me a lunatic once in the most recently locked iteration, I think that was Hakons...

But not that. Did they invite me over to the CDT in order to 'eviscerate' my position? Generally if I bring up any kind of thing for Christianity it is specifically for the purpose of pointing out historical inconsistencies when folks say 'IT'S ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY' when in all actually it was not.

In a similar vein, perceptions of what makes a 'Good Christian' change over time, though some people are more resistant to change than others.
New to F7? Click here!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General