NATION

PASSWORD

What is a good Christian?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Wed May 20, 2020 9:36 pm

Atheris wrote:
Andechs-Sisebut wrote:No, she doesn’t. And she has been taken to task for it by most Catholics on NS.

Kat's a better Christian than me. I doubt Kat has ever wavered from worshiping the Lord, and if she has, she certainly never acts like it. What you need to be a true Christian is to treat others with respect, obey the Trinity and the Father's commandments, and just generally not be a dick. You're failing at two of those, and just generally being a hypocrite. Kat's doing all three. Shush.

>Kats a better Christian
I mean, whether she is a Christian is in doubt so... X for doubt

>Doubt that Kat has ever wavered in worshiping the Lord
Can’t say much on this because he utter lack of posts about worshiping God

> treat others with respect, obey the Trinity and the Father's commandments, and just generally not be a dick
First one is meh in her part, second one she definitely doesn’t do no doubt, and the last one is retarded

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed May 20, 2020 9:36 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Atheris wrote:Is abortion even against the Bible?

No, actually. It's not. Especially since there is a passage about "bitter waters" you can look up, oh and about smashing baby's brains out, and paying the husband if one causes the death of their wife's fetus.

There is no passage in the Bible that explicitly bans it, but several about killing firstborns.

All of which are framed as bad things, warfare,criminal, or God's harsh judgement.

As for the "bitter water" shtick, I highly doubt that the recipe recorded in that passage actually works as an abortion. Frankly it just seems like an ancient Hebrew superstition, as supposedly the "bitter water" is a test to see if the conceived kid is from an adulterous union. It's such an obscure thing, and its certainly no foundation for doctrine or to debunk a doctrine.

As opposed to things like this:

4The word of the LORD came to me, saying:

5“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,

and before you were born I set you apart

and appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
Jeremiah 1:4-5

Which are an affirmation of humanity before birth.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed May 20, 2020 9:36 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Yes, don’t listen to Godular, they quite literally do not know what they’re talking about, and they’ve been told as much in the abortion thread before

(Exodus 21) -- if one causes a miscarriage, one only has to pay a fine to the husband but if the wife dies, then the punishment is death.

(Numbers 5) The ordeal of Bitter Waters was administered to cause the likely death of mother and abortion of child if she were suspected, without cause, of adultery.

Whereas you get "don't listen to him" in some arguments, you get actual sources in others.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed May 20, 2020 9:37 pm

Washington Resistance Army wrote:
Katganistan wrote:And don't you advocate murdering monarchs?

Depends on the monarch and the nation in question really.

Well then. See to the beam in your eye.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed May 20, 2020 9:37 pm

Atheris wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Sure. Some people haven't heard of that part yet, though. Or they just consider themselves the exception.

Oh, if I had a penny for every Christian who considered themselves the exception, I'd have enough pennies to buy off Congress to stop making pennies.

I mean, most of Christian history is essentially some Christian claiming to know the mind of god. Whether that is in thinking that they should spread their religion or the various repressions.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed May 20, 2020 9:37 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Atheris wrote:Kat's a better Christian than me. I doubt Kat has ever wavered from worshiping the Lord, and if she has, she certainly never acts like it. What you need to be a true Christian is to treat others with respect, obey the Trinity and the Father's commandments, and just generally not be a dick. You're failing at two of those, and just generally being a hypocrite. Kat's doing all three. Shush.

>Kats a better Christian

> treat others with respect, obey the Trinity and the Father's commandments, and just generally not be a dick
First one is meh in her part, second one she definitely doesn’t do no doubt, and the last one is retarded

Oh, enough.

Is Kat the subject of this thread? No? Then perhaps you should go cool off if you're getting frustrated.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed May 20, 2020 9:38 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Yes, don’t listen to Godular, they quite literally do not know what they’re talking about, and they’ve been told as much in the abortion thread before

I'm curious as to why *I* came into that particular comment when I haven't said much of anything on the subject in this thread.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Andechs-Sisebut
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Andechs-Sisebut » Wed May 20, 2020 9:38 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Atheris wrote:Oh, if I had a penny for every Christian who considered themselves the exception, I'd have enough pennies to buy off Congress to stop making pennies.

I mean, most of Christian history is essentially some Christian claiming to know the mind of god. Whether that is in thinking that they should spread their religion or the various repressions.

This is called reductionism and usually very, very wrong. Take note.
Last edited by Andechs-Sisebut on Wed May 20, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That was overcome, so may this be.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Wed May 20, 2020 9:38 pm

Katganistan wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

(Exodus 21) -- if one causes a miscarriage, one only has to pay a fine to the husband but if the wife dies, then the punishment is death.

(Numbers 5) The ordeal of Bitter Waters was administered to cause the likely death of mother and abortion of child if she were suspected, without cause, of adultery.

Whereas you get "don't listen to him" in some arguments, you get actual sources in others.

All these points have been addressed in the abortion thread wherein Taronis absolutely eviscerated Godular over it, or someone, pretty sure it was Godular. Nevertheless, I’m not going to have this convo here so, speak to someone that respects you enough to actually engage.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Atheris wrote:Kat's a better Christian than me. I doubt Kat has ever wavered from worshiping the Lord, and if she has, she certainly never acts like it. What you need to be a true Christian is to treat others with respect, obey the Trinity and the Father's commandments, and just generally not be a dick. You're failing at two of those, and just generally being a hypocrite. Kat's doing all three. Shush.

>Kats a better Christian

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 pm

Atheris wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Sure. Some people haven't heard of that part yet, though. Or they just consider themselves the exception.

Oh, if I had a penny for every Christian who considered themselves the exception, I'd have enough pennies to buy off Congress to stop making pennies.

If I had a dollar for every one of them, I could buy Congress. It's incredible that people can think they know God more than others.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Katganistan wrote:(Exodus 21) -- if one causes a miscarriage, one only has to pay a fine to the husband but if the wife dies, then the punishment is death.

All these points have been addressed in the abortion thread wherein Taronis absolutely eviscerated Godular over it, or someone, pretty sure it was Godular. Nevertheless, I’m not going to have this convo here so, speak to someone that respects you enough to actually engage.

Tarsonis didn't do a damn thing to me, but that is not the concern of this thread, and I don't know why you're bringing that up here.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Joohan wrote:
Well, technically, this is all a no true scotsman argument to you - as you don't believe that an objective standard of moral measurement beyond your own.
oh, and how exactly do you think that you kno anything about my own morals?

By reading what you have to say.

I view it as wrong as spreading any other religion

And that's why I ignored your statement, it's ridiculous.

I do not desire your apathy.

By wanting us to ignore the tenants of our own faith ( of which evangelism is an obligation ), you desire that we should be apathetic. We can't be apathetic, because we are commanded to love we are obligated to act.

Yes it was...because if it where not he would have been unable to reach to children regardless of religion.

Oh? You mean, the Christian minister found a clever way to teach about Jesus so as to prevent vapid secularists from coming down on him - And the world loved what he had to say? Why yes, I agree with that sentiment wholly!

A gain is a gain regardless of if it is simply self-satisfaction or material.

I suppose you're right. The satisfaction gained from spreading the gospel is akin to that of how one stokes a relationship. You might not get anything materially from it, but it feels good to do good.

I could do the same thing for practically every religion.

Okay... still doesn't change the fact that you were wrong.

Like I said, no true scotsman.

Like I said, everything is to you. You don't believe in the higher authority of the church or the gospels - so every statement asserting what a good Christian is, is to you, a no true scotsman, statement. You're not being clever, you're just ignoring your own position.

Point to your tyrant's, I will point to you multitudes of saints who have suffered for their faith. Point to your murders, I will point to you the orders and missions that drown their misery with charity and love. The history of the Church is one of the Lords's compassion and the struggles of man, and if you've doubts on what it is to spread the truth of the gospels, then perhaps you should read them for yourself?

Your saints do not do anything to the fact that Christianity has a history of intolerance, hate, murder, and other things.

We have a history of love and charity, pocketed by instances of strife and turmoil. Go ahead and name Hernan Cortez, before him were millions of pious and humble practitioners of the faith - and after him were billions more. You can name all the tragedies you like, but the misery they caused to the world is absolutely drowned by the good which the Church has done. One would have to be blindingly ignorant in order to look over that fact.
Last edited by Joohan on Wed May 20, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 pm

Godular wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

I'm curious as to why *I* came into that particular comment when I haven't said much of anything on the subject in this thread.

Because your name starts with God, probably.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 pm

My question still hasn't been answered, so I'll ask again. Wouldn't this question be better asked in the CDT? I feel like it would at least be more "civil" there.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

>Kats a better Christian

She believes that God sent his only Son to save Humanity from its sin. That's the textbook definition of Christianity.

She's said multiple times that she's a Catholic.

She has done nothing but use arguments against you. She has not resorted to ad hominem.
She respects each of the Ten Commandments:

Thou shalt have no other gods before me
Honour thy father and thy mother
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image
Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain
Thou shalt not kill
Thou shalt not commit adultery
Thou shalt not steal
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour, and
Thou shalt not covet.

I've been on this site on numerous accounts since 2016. I have never seen her betray one of these.

Also, Jesus's teachings literally revolve around not being a dick. Calling something "retarded" is also just a slap in the face to everybody who has mental issues. Show kindness to other people, just as the Lord did when he healed the lepers.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Wed May 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Katganistan wrote:No, actually. It's not. Especially since there is a passage about "bitter waters" you can look up, oh and about smashing baby's brains out, and paying the husband if one causes the death of their wife's fetus.

There is no passage in the Bible that explicitly bans it, but several about killing firstborns.

All of which are framed as bad things, warfare,criminal, or God's harsh judgement.

As for the "bitter water" shtick, I highly doubt that the recipe recorded in that passage actually works as an abortion. Frankly it just seems like an ancient Hebrew superstition, as supposedly the "bitter water" is a test to see if the conceived kid is from an adulterous union. It's such an obscure thing, and its certainly no foundation for doctrine or to debunk a doctrine.

As opposed to things like this:

4The word of the LORD came to me, saying:

5“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,

and before you were born I set you apart

and appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
Jeremiah 1:4-5

Which are an affirmation of humanity before birth.

Jedi Council wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
What tolerance? lol

Your position as far as I can tell is that, more or less, all religious people are prone to violence and are out to burn nonbelievers.

You're not the tolerant voice in this thread, boyo.

Want to show me where I have said any of that?

Still waiting for you to back up this claim, though, you may move on if you have realized it is false.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Wed May 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Washington Resistance Army wrote:
Depends on the monarch and the nation in question really.

Well then. See to the beam in your eye.

I'm not a Christian Kat, in case the Mithras flag and the sig links referencing paganism and polytheism weren't enough.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Wed May 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Godular wrote:
FelrikTheDeleted wrote:

Because you made a post about abortion being accepted, and you’re quite infamous for being hilariously wrong about the Church and abortion.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed May 20, 2020 9:41 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Atheris wrote:Oh, if I had a penny for every Christian who considered themselves the exception, I'd have enough pennies to buy off Congress to stop making pennies.

If I had a dollar for every one of them, I could buy Congress. It's incredible that people can think they know God more than others.

yeah, well at least i'd help save the economy
unless you plan to buy congress to stop making pennies
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed May 20, 2020 9:41 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Godular wrote:

Because your name starts with God, probably.

Would it help if I mentioned that the intended pronunciation makes it sound more like 'Goad'?
New to F7? Click here!

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed May 20, 2020 9:42 pm

Atheris wrote:
Geneviev wrote:If I had a dollar for every one of them, I could buy Congress. It's incredible that people can think they know God more than others.

yeah, well at least i'd help save the economy
unless you plan to buy congress to stop making pennies

I have never really cared about pennies, so you should probably save the economy.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed May 20, 2020 9:42 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Godular wrote:

Because you made a post about abortion being accepted, and you’re quite infamous for being hilariously wrong about the Church and abortion.

When did I make any post about Abortion being accepted in this thread? I'm pretty sure all I've done is post a link to the actual Abortion thread...
New to F7? Click here!

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed May 20, 2020 9:43 pm

Joohan wrote:We have a history of love and charity, pocketed by instances of strife and turmoil. Go ahead and name Hernan Cortez, before him were millions of pious and humble practitioners of the faith - and after him were billions more. You can name all the tragedies you like, but the misery they caused to the world is absolutely drowned by the good which the Church has done.

Can you quantify that ? The misery on one side and the boons on another ?
And then indicate why it should be a scale where doing good things can outweigh bad ones ? We after all do not let mr Smith get away with murdering his wife, even though he saved a schoolbus with 30 children the previous year.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed May 20, 2020 9:43 pm

Andechs-Sisebut wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Once more, I AM a Catholic, and there is a difference between admitting the wrongs that have been done in the name of the Catholic church and not being one.

And you can still go climb a tree.

You do not admit wrongdoings, of the Catholic Church in the past! That not why you’re being criticised, you’re not a Catholic because you do not believe the teachings of the Church.

You are being obnxious. Stop telling me what I am, since this is the third time you've done so.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General