NATION

PASSWORD

Extraterrestrial Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Does extraterrestrial life exist?

Yes, and most life sustaining worlds will host intelligent life
29%
Yes, but it will most likely be as the OP said
60%
No
11%

Total votes : 35

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sun May 17, 2020 11:00 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Albrenia wrote:
It's on the Voyager probe. It has directions using the stars to our home. It's only recently left our solar system though.

And has yet to pass the theorized Oort cloud which indicates the limits of the Suns gravitational pull.

It hasnt even left our cosmic front porch, much less our back yard.

Radio signals have travelled some 200 light years though.. although if you see the radius of that in relation to the size of the universe you actually have to magnify the section quite a lot - we've not reached even .001% of the universe.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't stop trying until we've advanced technology or at least spread to different planets.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 17, 2020 11:01 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:And has yet to pass the theorized Oort cloud which indicates the limits of the Suns gravitational pull.

Radio signals have travelled some 200 light years though.. although if you see the radius of that in relation to the size of the universe you actually have to magnify the section quite a lot - we've not reached even .001% of the universe.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't stop trying until we've advanced technology or at least spread to different planets.

I'm a big fan of SETI and other such measures. Even with the dangers and slim chances of success.

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sun May 17, 2020 11:01 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Albrenia wrote:
It's on the Voyager probe. It has directions using the stars to our home. It's only recently left our solar system though.

And has yet to pass the theorized Oort cloud which indicates the limits of the Suns gravitational pull.

Ortel cloud is supposed to have a radius of 1 light-year.Even if human's little toys can fly so far, human can't detect them
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun May 17, 2020 11:05 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

I'm a big fan of SETI and other such measures. Even with the dangers and slim chances of success.

Here's how far we've reached so far.. https://imgur.com/a/TgEwcWm
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sun May 17, 2020 11:06 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:And has yet to pass the theorized Oort cloud which indicates the limits of the Suns gravitational pull.

Don't do this,bad idea.We are in the dark forest.A gentleman would say, "Oh, some little guys are asking if there's anyone here. Let's play a trick on them"

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun May 17, 2020 11:09 pm

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Don't do this,bad idea.We are in the dark forest.A gentleman would say, "Oh, some little guys are asking if there's anyone here. Let's play a trick on them"

Too late, Ye Wenjie discovered micro-cavities in the sun and used them to blast out an amplified signal back in the 60's.. it's only a matter of time.

十年

Grimmsland
Envoy

Founded: Dec 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Grimmsland » Sun May 17, 2020 11:10 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

The vastness of the universe is incomprehensible! So awesome. But so is Earth and Nature awesome. :hug:

The first time I saw a representation of an atom it looked like a little solar system. Then my mind went down the path of what if all of our atoms are little universes.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sun May 17, 2020 11:10 pm

Albrenia wrote:Unless the aliens are in need of organic materials and for some reason cannot synthetically produce them, I don't see much reason for them to want to destroy us. Unless they're just genocidal pricks.

Strike first to gain the initiative,the second lose the initiative.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 17, 2020 11:12 pm

Albrenia wrote:Unless the aliens are in need of organic materials and for some reason cannot synthetically produce them, I don't see much reason for them to want to destroy us. Unless they're just genocidal pricks.

Strike first to gain the initiative,the second lose the initiative.

If they have space travel they don't need the initiative. We're bows and arrows against the storm compared to them.

They could just drop heavy shit from space and kill us all.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sun May 17, 2020 11:12 pm

Grimmsland wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

The vastness of the universe is incomprehensible! So awesome. But so is Earth and Nature awesome. :hug:

The first time I saw a representation of an atom it looked like a little solar system. Then my mind went down the path of what if all of our atoms are little universes.

Look, these are some small universes. Now I put it in the particle accelerator.
Boom!They're gone

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun May 17, 2020 11:13 pm

Grimmsland wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Take that further down to simple discrete bundles of energy and you'll see brain images and the universe look basically the same, in fact any form of energy mass seems to organise similarly. Then you understand that we, as individuals, are at one and the same time the most insignificant thing in the entire universe while concurrently being the most important thing because we're the only observer we can truly identify.

十年

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sun May 17, 2020 11:14 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Shanghai industrial complex wrote:Strike first to gain the initiative,the second lose the initiative.

If they have space travel they don't need the initiative. We're bows and arrows against the storm compared to them.

I don't like to use shit as a metaphor. It looks like I'm a maggot killed by shit

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 17, 2020 11:14 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Grimmsland wrote:

Take that further down to simple discrete bundles of energy and you'll see brain images and the universe look basically the same, in fact any form of energy mass seems to organise similarly. Then you understand that we, as individuals, are at one and the same time the most insignificant thing in the entire universe while concurrently being the most important thing because we're the only observer we can truly identify.

Couple that with the fact that observation has measurable effects at the quantum level. Like, we can break bonds between entangled matter just by fucking looking at them.

That hurts my head.

Grimmsland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grimmsland » Sun May 17, 2020 11:15 pm

Grimmsland wrote:

Boom!They're gone

When I learned of the collider my mini universe theory came to mind. Noooo. :unsure:

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Albrenia wrote:

I don't like to use shit as a metaphor. It looks like I'm a maggot killed by shit

I guess rocks would work too, if heavy enough. Waste materials optional.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sun May 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Grimmsland wrote:

Grimmsland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grimmsland » Sun May 17, 2020 11:17 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Grimmsland wrote:

Yes!

Grimmsland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Grimmsland » Sun May 17, 2020 11:19 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Couple that with the fact that observation has measurable effects at the quantum level. Like, we can break bonds between entangled matter just by fucking looking at them.

That hurts my head.

O man that stuff interests me. Wish I had the education etc to do my own experiments and see it for myself and to actually know it.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sun May 17, 2020 11:20 pm

Grimmsland wrote:
Boom!They're gone

When I learned of the collider my mini universe theory came to mind. Noooo. :unsure:

燃えろ!俺のコスモ!  
Burn! My little universe!

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun May 17, 2020 11:22 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Shanghai industrial complex wrote:Strike first to gain the initiative,the second lose the initiative.

The problem is any alien looking at us will see we're at the start of an exponential technological explosion; pretty rapidly, in universe terms, we'll be AI augmented species with quantum technology, they'll note our first application of any technology is military, and they might think better to take us out now before we evolve into a massive threat to the universe.
Last edited by Bombadil on Sun May 17, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

十年

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sun May 17, 2020 11:24 pm

Grimmsland wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

That hurts my head.

O man that stuff interests me. Wish I had the education etc to do my own experiments and see it for myself and to actually know it.

When I read about quantum entanglement by scientists, I swear I can understand every word.But when the words are linked together, I don't understand them at all.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun May 17, 2020 11:25 pm

Grimmsland wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

I know, right? I still have the sheet of paper Professor Rutherford drew his atomic model on. We were having lunch and ... well, anyway, yes.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun May 17, 2020 11:27 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Grimmsland wrote:

I know, right? I still have the sheet of paper Professor Rutherford drew his atomic model on. We were having lunch and ... well, anyway, yes.

..and Farnhamia became death, destroyer of worlds.

十年

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun May 17, 2020 11:31 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I know, right? I still have the sheet of paper Professor Rutherford drew his atomic model on. We were having lunch and ... well, anyway, yes.

Not me, silly. I was working in a USO canteen in Los Angeles in July of 1945.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun May 17, 2020 11:32 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Not me, silly. I was working in a USO canteen in Los Angeles in July of 1945.

..and Farnhamia became chef, destroyer of USO canteens through her lousy cooking.

十年

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General