NATION

PASSWORD

Hungary Experiencing "A Stunning Democratic Breakdown"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Hunzali
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 08, 2020
Ex-Nation

Hungary Experiencing "A Stunning Democratic Breakdown"

Postby Hunzali » Sat May 16, 2020 4:11 pm

The link to the article can be found here.

Hungary is no longer a democracy, Poland is about to go down the same path, democracy in the Balkans is eroding because of Chinese and Russian influence, and the EU is doing nothing to stop it all, according to the NGO Freedom House's latest Nations in Transit report, out Wednesday.

In the study, which covers 29 countries from Central Europe to Central Asia, the authors describe "a stunning democratic breakdown," saying that there are "fewer democracies in the region today than at any point since the annual report was launched in 1995."

According to the report's methodology, Hungary is now a "hybrid regime," having lost its status as a "semi-consolidated democracy" due to Prime Minister Viktor Orbán's continued assaults on the country's democratic institutions.

The adoption of an emergency law that allows the government to rule by decree indefinitely, brought in after the coronavirus pandemic struck, "has further exposed the undemocratic character of Orbán's regime," the authors wrote, adding that "Hungary’s decline has been the most precipitous [they have] ever tracked."

Poland isn't far behind, according to the report, which says there have been spectacular attacks on the judiciary by the ruling Law and Justice party.

It seems that Hungary is having a rather dramatic democracy breakdown, and it makes sense too; recently Hungary also silently passed a bill which would also attempt to kill off trans rights and to ban legal recognition of transgender people. I'm not at all surprised that Hungary would experience a breakdown on this level, especially since the recently leader, Viktor Orban recently came to power. Alot of the world is in a backsliding democracy, including Brazil and possibly India, the largest democracy in the world, in the future.

So, NSG, what are your thoughts on this? Did you see this coming or not, and what's your opinion on what's happening in Hungary.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat May 16, 2020 4:13 pm

Personally, I saw this coming.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Sat May 16, 2020 4:14 pm

Hunzali wrote:The link to the article can be found here.

Hungary is no longer a democracy, Poland is about to go down the same path, democracy in the Balkans is eroding because of Chinese and Russian influence, and the EU is doing nothing to stop it all, according to the NGO Freedom House's latest Nations in Transit report, out Wednesday.

In the study, which covers 29 countries from Central Europe to Central Asia, the authors describe "a stunning democratic breakdown," saying that there are "fewer democracies in the region today than at any point since the annual report was launched in 1995."

According to the report's methodology, Hungary is now a "hybrid regime," having lost its status as a "semi-consolidated democracy" due to Prime Minister Viktor Orbán's continued assaults on the country's democratic institutions.

The adoption of an emergency law that allows the government to rule by decree indefinitely, brought in after the coronavirus pandemic struck, "has further exposed the undemocratic character of Orbán's regime," the authors wrote, adding that "Hungary’s decline has been the most precipitous [they have] ever tracked."

Poland isn't far behind, according to the report, which says there have been spectacular attacks on the judiciary by the ruling Law and Justice party.

It seems that Hungary is having a rather dramatic democracy breakdown, and it makes sense too; recently Hungary also silently passed a bill which would also attempt to kill off trans rights and to ban legal recognition of transgender people. I'm not at all surprised that Hungary would experience a breakdown on this level, especially since the recently leader, Viktor Orban recently came to power. Alot of the world is in a backsliding democracy, including Brazil and possibly India, the largest democracy in the world, in the future.

So, NSG, what are your thoughts on this? Did you see this coming or not, and what's your opinion on what's happening in Hungary.

To the list of backsliding democracies add Spain, US, Israel, and Turkey just for starters. Also I am unsure as to why the decline of Democracy in Hungary is supposedly faster than the fascist coup in Bolivia.
Last edited by South Odreria 2 on Sat May 16, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

The Eastern Cherokee Nation
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eastern Cherokee Nation » Sat May 16, 2020 4:17 pm

I just hope people bought guns with there stimulus

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 16, 2020 4:18 pm

If you think it couldn't happen here

think again.
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Sat May 16, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

The Saruvian Empire
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Saruvian Empire » Sat May 16, 2020 4:21 pm

A breakdown of democracy in the twenties? Hey wait, I've seen this one!

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 16, 2020 4:22 pm

The Saruvian Empire wrote:A breakdown of democracy in the twenties? Hey wait, I've seen this one!

If this is the roaring 20s, doesn't that mean an Asian God Emperor, a particularly angry and loud German and a spaghetti Boy are about to start a war in 20 years or less?
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Sat May 16, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat May 16, 2020 4:23 pm

The Saruvian Empire wrote:A breakdown of democracy in the twenties? Hey wait, I've seen this one!

What do you mean you've seen this one? It's brand new!
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Sat May 16, 2020 4:26 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:

If this is the roaring 20s, doesn't that mean an Asian God Emperor, a particularly angry and loud German and a spaghetti Boy are about to start a war in 20 years or less?

So, are we gonna call it World War III or World War II II?
The Treangolist Revival of La Paz de Los Ricos
I survived the April 2024 NS outage! Also on a t-shirt! | Reworking national information. | The Navaluege Language (WIP)
CURRENT PROJECT . . .
The Tale These Islands Tell [PRIVATE|CLOSED] — [Chapter II - 02 April 2024]
A curmudgeonly Canadian reluctantly aids an aging Ricano legend in reviving the nation's history.

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat May 16, 2020 4:27 pm

La Paz de Los Ricos wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

hee hee, tutu
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 16, 2020 4:28 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:

World War: Last Blood.

Lmao.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat May 16, 2020 4:28 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:

Well Trump is german so....
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat May 16, 2020 4:30 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Well Trump is german so....

orange man bad?

also, the name trump derives from the netherlands, not germany iirc
#FreeNSGRojava

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Sat May 16, 2020 4:31 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:

Oh dear. And the fact that this is happening in Hungary also, which used to be part of Austria, which is where that Angry German Mustache Model was from...
And there is an international European organization that is doing nothing about it...
I’d say we’re in trouble.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

VVerkia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby VVerkia » Sat May 16, 2020 4:31 pm

Rising of lawful evil :(

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Sat May 16, 2020 4:31 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:

World War: Last Blood.

Lmao.

The Amazing World War?
The Treangolist Revival of La Paz de Los Ricos
I survived the April 2024 NS outage! Also on a t-shirt! | Reworking national information. | The Navaluege Language (WIP)
CURRENT PROJECT . . .
The Tale These Islands Tell [PRIVATE|CLOSED] — [Chapter II - 02 April 2024]
A curmudgeonly Canadian reluctantly aids an aging Ricano legend in reviving the nation's history.

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat May 16, 2020 4:32 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Oh dear. And the fact that this is happening in Hungary also, which used to be part of Austria, which is where that Angry German Mustache Model was from...
And there is an international European organization that is doing nothing about it...
I’d say we’re in trouble.

Something's wrong, I can feel it.
#FreeNSGRojava

Kargintina the Third
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintina the Third » Sat May 16, 2020 4:32 pm

Kinda based ngl
Representative Earl Tenson (R-MT-All)

Senate candidate Christina Mudale (R-AL)

Senator Nickolai Dernilski (D-OH)

Houston Mayor Harold Baines (D-TX)

Nap the Magnificent
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nap the Magnificent » Sat May 16, 2020 4:37 pm

Atheris wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Well Trump is german so....

orange man bad?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_(surname)#German_surname
Orthodox Christian. Counter-Enlightenment. Communitarian. Working towards medical school. Pro-Achaemenid, anti-Athenian. Western civilization doesn't exist.
"The heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat May 16, 2020 4:37 pm

Nap the Magnificent wrote:
Atheris wrote:orange man bad?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_(surname)#German_surname

ah, i stand corrected
#FreeNSGRojava

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Sat May 16, 2020 4:38 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:

Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Sat May 16, 2020 4:39 pm

Well boys we did it, human rights are no more!
Last edited by Agarntrop on Sat May 16, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sat May 16, 2020 4:39 pm

This was inevitable once Fidesz got the nod, again.

They've been spending most of the last decade consolidating their power and shutting up all opposition to their rule; this contagion may have given them a convenient excuse, but they'll have done what they did anyway, under some other pretext.

The European Union really should've struck and asserted its democratic bonafides to its eastern members well before this, instead of playing the Neville Chamberlain; now it can only play that role ever more feebly, as the plague of tribalism spreads throughout Europe and threatens to make mincemeat of postwar European democracy altogether.

Nap the Magnificent
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nap the Magnificent » Sat May 16, 2020 4:40 pm

I mean, in of themselves hybrid regimes or non-democratic regimes are not necessarily bad but Orban is a piece of shit tbh.
Orthodox Christian. Counter-Enlightenment. Communitarian. Working towards medical school. Pro-Achaemenid, anti-Athenian. Western civilization doesn't exist.
"The heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Sat May 16, 2020 4:40 pm

Hungary is pretty much doomed to reverting back into an authoritarian hellscape at this point, and Poland is not too far behind it, it might be time to look into seriously considering cutting that half of the Visegrád Group loose from NATO and the EU, they’re becoming nothing more than liabilities.
Occasionally the Neo-American States
"Choke on the ashes of your hate."
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization