NATION

PASSWORD

Should Religions Be Taught in Schools?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How can religions evangelize in schools?

Student groups
22%
Classes
6%
Both
20%
Neither
52%

Total votes : 396

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun May 17, 2020 3:56 pm

Tokora wrote:
Godular wrote:
Returning to 'Decent in concept, trainwreck in practice'...

Why? Lack of enforcement?

That's one problem, yes.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sun May 17, 2020 3:58 pm

La xinga wrote:
Estanglia wrote:
How doesn't it make sense?

If it is perfect, it needs no improvements, nor can you make any improvements. If it cannot be understood by everyone who can't speak the language, then an improvement can be made (making it so everyone who reads it understands it, regardless of if they know the language), therefore it is not perfect.

G-d wants people to work hard to figure his words out. The more credit of course!
Jedi Council wrote:Because this is not "the days of old."

In our modern world, the average person has a total of seven sexual partners throughout their life. As I have said, this girl, who was in University, and had a good social life, could have been faced with situations around men where she was woefully unprepared and uneducated. Saying "you'll learn about it when you are married" helps no one.

So no, that's not an answer to the problem of bad education in catholic schools around Sex.

Do I think that people should have several sexual partners? I don't. Everyone in my family had one, and Sexual Partner? LOL why? Why are people have kids with people that are not married to them. See, my religion forbids that, only if you are married to the person may you have kids with them.

Because it is unrealistic.

It's fine to say you should only have sex with your wife/husband/partners. If that school taught that, and proper family planning, I would have much less a problem with them.

But they did not. They said only have sex with you're partner, and did not prepare anyone for the possibility that they may make a mistake, love someone enough before marriage to engage in intimacy, or just decide that they want to try it before marriage. They deliberately ignored safety and health for dogma.

It would be like saying "Sugar is evil, never eat sugar except for fruit" while totally understanding that most people will likely eat a chocolate bar at some point, but then refusing to tell people exactly how, or what sugar does, and the ways to counteract excess sugar, which is of course a moderate diet and exercise.

Your faith may tell you to not engage in sexual activity with more than one partner, but to not prepare oneself for safe and healthy behaviour in the event that that is not the case is entirely amoral and outright dangerous.
Last edited by Jedi Council on Sun May 17, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun May 17, 2020 4:00 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
La xinga wrote:G-d wants people to work hard to figure his words out. The more credit of course!
Do I think that people should have several sexual partners? I don't. Everyone in my family had one, and Sexual Partner? LOL why? Why are people have kids with people that are not married to them. See, my religion forbids that, only if you are married to the person may you have kids with them.

It's fine to say you should only have sex with your wife/husband/partners. If that school taught that, and proper family planning, I would have much less a problem with them.

But they did not. They said only have sex with you're partner, and did not prepare anyone for the possibility that they may make a mistake, love someone enough before marriage to engage in intimacy, or just decide that they want to try it before marriage. They deliberately ignored safety and health for dogma.

It would be like saying "Sugar is evil, never eat sugar" while totally understanding that most people will likely eat a chocolate bar at some point, but then refusing to tell people exactly how, or what sugar does, and the ways to counteract excess sugar, which is of course a moderate diet and exercise.

Your faith may tell you to not engage in sexual activity with more than one partner, but to not prepare oneself for safe and healthy behaviour in the event that that is not the case is entirely amoral and outright dangerous.

Again, you should talk to the owner of that place and ask them, I'm not Catholic. I see no desire for loving a person so much to have a child already, if there is a strong punishment for that above.
Food Discussion Thread (II)
I use NS stats if I like them.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun May 17, 2020 4:01 pm

La xinga wrote:
Godular wrote:
Your proof never existed. You rather literally have nothing, which means you are essentially treating any prospect of your specific faith appearing in schools as a self-aggrandizing soap-box with no other purpose than to evangelize.

If the book were 'perfect' as you claim it to be, the meaning on its pages would be clear to all, regardless of what language they speak, and it would not be subject to different interpretations. As different interpretations exist, and the book must be translated, we must conclude that the text is not 'perfect'.

I told you my proof.

You gave me a line of bullshit. It has been rather widely decried as a line of bullshit, even by other religiously oriented folks on this forum.

And G-d wants you to work hard to find out interpretations.
And it should not havbe been translated into differnt languasges,.

1. It is the height of pride to make claims about God's purported intentions.
2. If it had not been translated, nobody would read it then. If your God's intent was to make people work for it, they chose a very flawed means of doing so.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sun May 17, 2020 4:01 pm

La xinga wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:

It would be like saying "Sugar is evil, never eat sugar" while totally understanding that most people will likely eat a chocolate bar at some point, but then refusing to tell people exactly how, or what sugar does, and the ways to counteract excess sugar, which is of course a moderate diet and exercise.

Again, you should talk to the owner of that place and ask them, I'm not Catholic. I see no desire for loving a person so much to have a child already, if there is a strong punishment for that above.

I am not asking them I am asking you.

You are defending their right to educate people according to their dogma, which has proven to be dangerous and amoral. You must either admit you are wrong, modify your position, or continue to take responsiblity for defending this practice.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun May 17, 2020 4:04 pm

Godular wrote:
La xinga wrote:I told you my proof.

You gave me a line of bullshit. It has been rather widely decried as a line of bullshit, even by other religiously oriented folks on this forum.

And G-d wants you to work hard to find out interpretations.
And it should not havbe been translated into differnt languasges,.

2. If it had not been translated, nobody would read it then. If your God's intent was to make people work for it, they chose a very flawed means of doing so.

I've spoken with a relig guy for the forum.
Jedi Council wrote:
La xinga wrote:Again, you should talk to the owner of that place and ask them, I'm not Catholic. I see no desire for loving a person so much to have a child already, if there is a strong punishment for that above.

You are defending their right to educate people according to their dogma, which has proven to be dangerous and amoral. You must either admit you are wrong, modify your position, or continue to take responsiblity for defending this practice.

Sir/madam, I think it is okay what they did. Her parents could have taught her too.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sun May 17, 2020 4:06 pm

La xinga wrote:
Godular wrote:

Jedi Council wrote:

Sir/madam, I think it is okay what they did. Her parents could have taught her too.

And they didn't, they also failed to properly prepare her for life because of their beliefs.

I do not know what gender you are/are not, but imagine growing up not understand why your body functions the way it does. Imagine being 21 and now knowing how you get pregnant, or get someone pregnant. That level of ignorance is truly harmful. And any faith or sogma that justifies it is equally reprehensible

It is shameful to say anyone deserves or is served by that level of dogmatic nonsense.
Last edited by Jedi Council on Sun May 17, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun May 17, 2020 4:09 pm

La xinga wrote:
Godular wrote:

Cool irrelevant story. It counters rather impressively nothing that I have said.
New to F7? Click here!

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun May 17, 2020 4:10 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
La xinga wrote:I've spoken with a relig guy for the forum.

And they didn't, they also failed to properly prepare her for life because of their beliefs.

I do not know what gender you are/are not, but imagine growing up not understand why your body functions the way it does. Imagine being 21 and now knowing how you get pregnant, or get someone pregnant. That level of ignorance is truly harmful.

It is shameful to say anyone deserves or is served by that level of dogmatic nonsense.

It's not my fault the parents didn't, or the school's fault.
What did they say about the biology?
UH, being 21 and not knowing these stuff? Perfectly normal.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun May 17, 2020 4:11 pm

Godular wrote:
La xinga wrote:I've spoken with a relig guy for the forum.

Cool irrelevant story. It counters rather impressively nothing that I have said.

U ssaid also relig guys on the forum. And here I just proved you wrong.

I also think your favorite word is: "Cool irrelevant story", but that's beside the point.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sun May 17, 2020 4:12 pm

La xinga wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:And they didn't, they also failed to properly prepare her for life because of their beliefs.

I do not know what gender you are/are not, but imagine growing up not understand why your body functions the way it does. Imagine being 21 and now knowing how you get pregnant, or get someone pregnant. That level of ignorance is truly harmful.

It's not my fault the parents didn't, or the school's fault.

They did not cover human biology in class, as I have previously stated.

Not it's not your fault, but you seem to be supporting their poor choices and appear to be fine with them providing no help for this girl to understand her own body.

You think it is fine for a 21 year old, an ADULT to not understand how babies are made? That is abhorrent.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun May 17, 2020 4:14 pm

La xinga wrote:
Godular wrote:

No, you did not. I did not say 'ALL religiously oriented folks', because Poe's Law is a thing no matter how much I might wish it weren't. Your reply that you've spoken to ONE religious type here rather reinforces my point than disproves it. There are hundreds of posters here, and you got ONE to... what, chat with you? Without staring at you with a gobsmacked expression?
New to F7? Click here!

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun May 17, 2020 4:15 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
La xinga wrote:It's not my fault the parents didn't, or the school's fault.

They did not cover human biology in class, as I have previously stated.

Not it's not your fault, but you seem to be supporting their poor choices and appear to be fine with them providing no help for this girl to understand her own body.

You think it is fine for a 21 year old, an ADULT to not understand how babies are made? That is abhorrent.

AGAIN, her parents could have told her.

And again, you said the reason that they didn't teach her Sex, but not biology? I can't answer you about biology, cuz you didn't say their answer like you said by sex.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun May 17, 2020 4:16 pm

La xinga wrote:
Godular wrote:

Your having spoken to one person does not prove Godular wrong when they say that there are religious people who say you are wrong.
La xinga wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:They did not cover human biology in class, as I have previously stated.

And again, you said the reason that they didn't teach her Sex, but not biology? I can't answer you about biology, cuz you didn't say their answer like you said by sex.

And your parents could have taught you calculus. A parent being able to teach something does not preclude a school teaching something.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Sun May 17, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun May 17, 2020 4:17 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
La xinga wrote:U ssaid also relig guys on the forum. And here I just proved you wrong.
Your having spoken to one person does not prove Godular wrong when they say that there are religious people who say you are wrong.

Again, there are many different religions.
Godular wrote:
La xinga wrote:U ssaid also relig guys on the forum. And here I just proved you wrong.

No, you did not. I did not say 'ALL religiously oriented folks', because Poe's Law is a thing no matter how much I might wish it weren't. Your reply that you've spoken to ONE religious type here rather reinforces my point than disproves it. There are hundreds of posters here, and you got ONE to... what, chat with you? Without staring at you with a gobsmacked expression?

^

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun May 17, 2020 4:18 pm

La xinga wrote:
Neutraligon wrote: Your having spoken to one person does not prove Godular wrong when they say that there are religious people who say you are wrong.

Godular wrote:

^

That... means rather literally nothing in regards to any point you were attempting to make.
New to F7? Click here!

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sun May 17, 2020 4:19 pm

La xinga wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:They did not cover human biology in class, as I have previously stated.

And again I will point out that her parents did not because they agreed with the schools insidious dogma. That does not excuse either the school or the parents from failure.

Human biology is inextricably linked to sexual reproduction. They did not teach either topic because they are so incredibly similar.

It is ironic, seeing as though it has been proven that a failure to provide proper biological and sex education, along with a lack of knowledge about safe family planning increases the likelihood of childbirth before marriage, which, ostensibly, is what many of these dogmatic religions are trying to avoid by ignoring these topics.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun May 17, 2020 4:19 pm

La xinga wrote:
Neutraligon wrote: Your having spoken to one person does not prove Godular wrong when they say that there are religious people who say you are wrong.

Godular wrote:

^

There being many religions is irrelevant. Godular is agreeing with me not you.
Just A Little though

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun May 17, 2020 4:22 pm

Godular wrote:
La xinga wrote:Again, there are many different religions.
^

That... means rather literally nothing in regards to any point you were attempting to make.

People can disagree becuz they are from other religions that disagree entirely with me.
Jedi Council wrote:
La xinga wrote:AGAIN, her parents could have told her.

And again I will point out that her parents did not because they agreed with the schools insidious dogma. That does not excuse either the school or the parents from failure.

Human biology is inextricably linked to sexual reproduction. They did not teach either topic because they are so incredibly similar.

It is ironic, seeing as though it has been proven that a failure to provide proper biological and sex education, along with a lack of knowledge about safe family planning increases the likelihood of childbirth before marriage, which, ostensibly, is what many of these dogmatic religions are trying to avoid by ignoring these topics.

Her parents agreed with the school? Am i correct?
Neutraligon wrote:
La xinga wrote:Again, there are many different religions.
^

There being many religions is irrelevant. Godular is agreeing with me not you.

Godular never agrees with me, that's not the point, I never said he was.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun May 17, 2020 4:23 pm

La xinga wrote:
Godular wrote:

People can disagree becuz they are from other religions that disagree entirely with me.
Or they disagree with you while being the same religion as you.
Just A Little though

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun May 17, 2020 4:24 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
La xinga wrote:People can disagree becuz they are from other religions that disagree entirely with me.

I hardly know anyone on NS that has the same religion as me.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sun May 17, 2020 4:24 pm

La xinga wrote:
Godular wrote:

Jedi Council wrote:

Her parents agreed with the school? Am I correct?

Seeing as though I literally stated this yes you did read properly. Well done.

But even if they agreed, that does not mean the school gets to get off Scot-free with providing shit education. It just means that it provides shit-education AND so do her parents.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Sun May 17, 2020 4:25 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
La xinga wrote:People can disagree becuz they are from other religions that disagree entirely with me.

Enter the Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun May 17, 2020 4:25 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Her parents agreed with the school? Am I correct?

Seeing as though I literally stated this yes you did read properly. Well done.

But even if they agreed, that does not mean the school gets to get off Scot-free with providing shit education. It just means that it provides shit-education AND so do her parents.

I think her parents know what is best for her. ;)

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun May 17, 2020 4:26 pm

La xinga wrote:
Godular wrote:

But of course you hold THEIR religions as factually untrue. You keep using 'factual' in your comments, but I'm fairly certain you do not know what that word truly means.
New to F7? Click here!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General