NATION

PASSWORD

Should Religions Be Taught in Schools?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How can religions evangelize in schools?

Student groups
22%
Classes
6%
Both
20%
Neither
52%

Total votes : 396

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:25 pm

Temple State wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Well that and even if somehow something like a gorilla evolved from a human, they would still be human. In modern biology you do not grow out of your ancestor so they would still be humans.

The taxonomic term 'family' and the biblical term 'kind' is not exactly overlapping perfectly, so I'd say monkeys are not the same kind as us, since we cannot produce bastard offspring even. God forbid that atheists would try that again (like under Stalin).

So define kind. Would be nice to know what that means since you used it for micro evolution. Are killer whales and bottle nose dolphins the same kind? Are those the same kind as the yangtze river dolphin? For that matter, define family when it comes to biology.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Temple State
Envoy

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:26 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Temple State wrote:
The taxonomic term 'family' and the biblical term 'kind' is not exactly overlapping perfectly, so I'd say monkeys are not the same kind as us, since we cannot produce bastard offspring even. God forbid that atheists would try that again (like under Stalin).

So define kind. Would be nice to know what that means since you used it for micro evolution. Are killer whales and bottle nose dolphins the same kind? Are those the same
kind as the yangtze river dolphin? For that matter, define family when it comes to biology.

Can they produce offspring together? If not then they are not the same kind.
Last edited by Temple State on Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:26 pm

Temple State wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:The way Hox genes work, you would never evolve half a limb.

You could get six limbs, maybe. A couple of arms growing out of your head. I doubt they'd be very functional, and you'd probably die. But it could happen.

This is kind of pointless though, since everything that evolved with four limbs evolved from ancestors that also had four limbs. All the way back to fish that had four flippers, and a tail. So we haven't really needed to evolve another limb any time in the last few hundred million years.

Explain arthropods and cephalopods.

Are you saying limb evolution is made by spontaneous quantum leaps? That's hilarious.

Do you know what a quantum leap is or do you just like using terms that make what you say sound intelligent?

Because if is the former, you are using the term wrong, and if it is the latter, you are not succeeding.
Last edited by Jedi Council on Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Temple State
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:27 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Temple State wrote:

Are you saying limb evolution is made by spontaneous quantum leaps? That's hilarious.

Do you know what a quantum leap is or do you just like using terms that make what you say sound intelligent?

Because if is the former, you are using the term wrong, and if it is the latter, you are not succeeding.

A whole lot of nothing coming from you. He's saying limbs can spring up within a generation in a lineage, that's defined as a quantum leap. No go read some SW comic books instead and let the grownups talk.
Last edited by Temple State on Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:28 pm

Temple State wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:So define kind. Would be nice to know what that means since you used it for micro evolution. Are killer whales and bottle nose dolphins the same kind? Are those the same
kind as the yangtze river dolphin? For that matter, define family when it comes to biology.

Can they reproduce offspring together? If not then they are not the same kind.

Ah so then you basically mean species. Most animals in the same family cannot reproduce with each other. After all...gorillas and humans are in the same family. So are killer wales and bottle nose dolphins. So are hyenas and wolves.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just A Little though

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:28 pm

Temple State wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:Do you know what a quantum leap is or do you just like using terms that make what you say sound intelligent?

A whole lot of nothing coming from you.

Not really, I am just curious if you know what a quantum leap actually is.

Because you seem to really like using the term.
Last edited by Jedi Council on Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:29 pm

Temple State wrote:
Godular wrote:
The foundation of your concern is flawed. You keep speaking of wasted energy, but the simple fact is that when a new trait starts to propagate it is simply more efficient than the standard AT THE TIME. Early Eukaryotes didn’t have mitochondria at first, but by simple happenstance one eukaryotic cell just happened to nom a precursor to mitochondria and discovered it was more effective to let it stick around and churn out ATP than to digest it outright. A similar situation could have occurred billions of trillions of times before with no such thing occurring, but in that one instance the cell was suddenly much more effective at survival than its contemporaries.

It was a tiny change that was more effective at the time. It just worked out. It happens millions of times every day, and many times it comes to nothing, but sometimes a new trait (or even an old one getting repurposed) strikes gold.

No such fossils with just four and a half limbs, or five and a half. *sigh*

Just trying to invent new gaps to call out when trying the old ones doesn’t work anymore huh?

Vestigial limbs exist, ya know. Crabs can have asymmetrical claws, ya know. Oh dear, reality went and fucked up your argument.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:29 pm

Temple State wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:The way Hox genes work, you would never evolve half a limb.

You could get six limbs, maybe. A couple of arms growing out of your head. I doubt they'd be very functional, and you'd probably die. But it could happen.

This is kind of pointless though, since everything that evolved with four limbs evolved from ancestors that also had four limbs. All the way back to fish that had four flippers, and a tail. So we haven't really needed to evolve another limb any time in the last few hundred million years.

Neither are vertebrates. And didn't evolve from vertebrates. Insects and arachnids haven't changed the number of limbs they possess in hundreds of millions of years, and generally don't have a reason to. Millipedes and centipedes can change the number of limbs they possess very easily through Hox gene duplication, since their bodies are made of identical segments.

Cephalopods are mollusks, and almost all lineages have either 10 or 8 limbs, and have for the last few hundred million years. Notably, the cephalopods with fewer limbs have lost limbs, rather than the ones with more growing new ones.

Anyway, your limbs evolved very slowly from flippers. We have basically every step of this process mapped out. It doesn't require any sudden big changes.
Last edited by Neanderthaland on Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Temple State
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:30 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Temple State wrote:
Can they reproduce offspring together? If not then they are not the same kind.

Ah so then you basically mean species. Most animals in the same family cannot reproduce with each other. After all...gorillas and humans are in the same family. So are killer wales and bottle nose dolphins. So are hyenas and wolves.

You know there are exceptions to this.
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:30 pm

Temple State wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Ah so then you basically mean species. Most animals in the same family cannot reproduce with each other. After all...gorillas and humans are in the same family. So are killer wales and bottle nose dolphins. So are hyenas and wolves.

You know there are exceptions to this.

You are the one I am asking a definition for. I asked about the whale for a reason.
Just A Little though

Hellslayer
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 26, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hellslayer » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:31 pm

NO! God is a lie invented by the church to control the people through fear - if you disobey us you'll burn in hell, that sort of thing - and to explain natural phenomona before science really took off. It's cruel to dupe kids like this then, so don't do it.
(PS. Yes I know I am called Hellslayer it is just a name and does not reflect my views at all).
Last edited by Hellslayer on Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.”

To understand this nation, I recommend this dispatch by the National Library of Hellslayer

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:31 pm

Temple State wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:Do you know what a quantum leap is or do you just like using terms that make what you say sound intelligent?

A whole lot of nothing coming from you. He's saying limbs can spring up within a generation in a lineage, that's defined as a quantum leap. No go read some SW comic books instead and let the grownups talk.

Well actually, no.

In terms of physics, a Quantum Jump (not leap though if you want you can interchange the terms) is " an abrupt transition of a system described by quantum mechanics from one of its discrete states to another, as the fall of an electron in an atom to an orbit of lower energy."

Colloquially, it is known to mean something more akin to how you share using it, which is to say a great, yet rapid, change. However, your use of the term in the colloquial sense does not lend any credence to what you say merely because it sounds like a scientific term.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:33 pm

Temple State wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:The Bible =/= evidence, especially when discussing science.

Yes it is.

No, no it is not. There multitude of self contradictions invalidates most any contribution it could make on the matter.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Temple State
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:33 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Temple State wrote:

Well actually, no.

In terms of physics, a Quantum Jump (not leap though if you want you can interchange the terms) is " an abrupt transition of a system described by quantum mechanics from one of its discrete states to another, as the fall of an electron in an atom to an orbit of lower energy."

Colloquially, it is known to mean something more akin to how you share using it, which is to say a great, yet rapid, change. However, your use of the term in the colloquial sense does not lend any credence to what you say merely because it sounds like a scientific term.

Instead of daring to face my questions you argue semantics. Cute.
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:33 pm

Temple State wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:Well actually, no.

Hello pot, meet the silverware.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Hellslayer
Bureaucrat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hellslayer » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:34 pm

Oh, shame, thread been hijacked by science debates. Ah well. RIP religious debate.

To understand this nation, I recommend this dispatch by the National Library of Hellslayer

Temple State
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:35 pm

Godular wrote:
Temple State wrote:
Yes it is.

No, no it is not. There multitude of self contradictions invalidates most any contribution it could make on the matter.

Yes. Yes it is. No contradictions, you just don't know what it says well enough. Or you listen to wacky Prots and their "Sola Scriptura"-interpretations of it.
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:35 pm

Temple State wrote:

Not really, I am just pointing out that if you want to discuss scientific topics, perhaps you should use scientific terms correctly, and not sprinkle them into your posts in order to sound more intelligent, as it usually has the opposite effect.

Frankly, I am uninterested in debating evolution with someone who thinks the Bible counts as a scientific resource.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:36 pm

Temple State wrote:
Godular wrote:

Yes. Yes it is. No contradictions, you just don't know what it says well enough. Or you listen to wacky Prots and their "Sola Scriptura"-interpretations of it.

Supposedly Moses wrote this:
"Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth."

I put it to you, that this can't be true. :p
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:37 pm

Temple State wrote:

You’ve some gall to speak on that. You’re the one trying to force some presumed difference between invented terms of microevolution and macroevolution down our throats when there is no scientific basis to claim that there is any such difference whatsoever.
New to F7? Click here!

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:37 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Temple State wrote:

"Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth."

Sigh, it really speak poorly of education that so many are taught so wrongly about evolution.
Just A Little though

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:38 pm

Hellslayer wrote:Oh, shame, thread been hijacked by science debates. Ah well. RIP religious debate.

When discussing religion in schools, it is inevitable that the Science v Religion discussion will come up. They are fundamentally incompatible disciplines.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Temple State
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Temple State » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:38 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Temple State wrote:

Not really, I am just pointing out that if you want to discuss scientific topics, perhaps you should use scientific terms correctly, and not sprinkle them into your posts in order to sound more intelligent, as it usually has the opposite effect.

Frankly, I am uninterested in debating evolution with someone who thinks the Bible counts as a scientific resource.

Quantum leap as a term is not just used in physics. And in sporting terms what you just did was a walkover. Bye.
☩DEVS☩VVLT☩

Hellslayer
Bureaucrat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hellslayer » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:39 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Temple State wrote:

LOL and it was Jesus' friends who said that he never sinned. Seems a totally trustworthy source! :rofl:

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:39 pm

Temple State wrote:
Godular wrote:

Cool, Pi is 3 then.

Oh wait, that’s dumbshit.
New to F7? Click here!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General