NATION

PASSWORD

Should Religions Be Taught in Schools?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How can religions evangelize in schools?

Student groups
22%
Classes
6%
Both
20%
Neither
52%

Total votes : 396

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri May 22, 2020 3:31 pm

Brunswick-upon-Raritan wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I am not denying it.
I am saying that if the metric for excluding a religion from being taught about in school is that the beliefs in it are "too ridiculous", that Christianity has some beliefs that some nonbelievers would say "that is ridiculous!" about.

Well I wouldn’t say that subjective incredulity is a good basis for drafting a U.S. religious education curriculum.

My point exactly.

I didn't suggest that "too ridiculous" be the way it's decided. That was another poster.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri May 22, 2020 3:32 pm

Brunswick-upon-Raritan wrote:Indeed, many Jews have yet to accept Jesus Christ as their personal lord and savior.

Mostly because he went against the Torah.
Food Discussion Thread (II)
I use NS stats if I like them.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri May 22, 2020 4:10 pm

Brunswick-upon-Raritan wrote:Religious education in the U.S. should be compulsory for everyone. It's unfair for students who don't attend church or faith services in their personal lives to be left out of such a large part of American life, society, culture, history, tradition, etc. Students should learn about religion in the U.S. just like they learn about literature, history, civics, accounting, economics, chemistry, etc.

How about no. There are those who are not religious, an soul not be forced to prepare for anything. Religion is a big part of American life for some people, while for others it is a go to church for Easter maybe.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri May 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Brunswick-upon-Raritan wrote:Religious education in the U.S. should be compulsory for everyone. It's unfair for students who don't attend church or faith services in their personal lives to be left out of such a large part of American life, society, culture, history, tradition, etc. Students should learn about religion in the U.S. just like they learn about literature, history, civics, accounting, economics, chemistry, etc.

This is some serious Orwellian thinking, it's 'unfair' that students choose not to go to church or faith services so they must be forced into it? The fuck?

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri May 22, 2020 4:16 pm

Genivaria wrote:

This is some serious Orwellian thinking, it's 'unfair' that students choose not to go to church or faith services so they must be forced into it? The fuck?

I don't know if "Orwellian" is the right terms. It's more that this is a clear demonstration of the limits of the Golden Rule.

"Because I enjoy something, you must be MADE to enjoy it as well."

Just pray he's not also a Twilight fan...
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri May 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Necroghastia wrote:Pretty sure the historical and cultural aspects would be best left to history and social studies classes.

That's how things are done now, and I'd say it's inadequate. People don't even get enough civics education as it is, and cramming religion into an already packed history or social studies curriculum just guarantees it won't make much of an impact. Learning about religion should be considered part of cultural competency, just like learning another language (taking Spanish class) or personal financial literacy (home economics class). Maybe one day you want to open a bank account, school should prepare you for that. Maybe one day you want to join a church, school should also prepare you for that. That's a little different from studying ancient religions in world history or how it's done now.

Schools needn't prepare you for church. Churches can be responsible for orientation without tax money. Religious proselytizing has no educational value.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Fri May 22, 2020 8:45 pm

I don't think anyone would think teaching about the history of religion in the US would be inappropriate. But if they're being taught that it's true, there need to be alternatives for those students.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Sat May 23, 2020 7:39 am

Geneviev wrote:

I don't think anyone would think teaching about the history of religion in the US would be inappropriate. But if they're being taught that it's true, there need to be alternatives for those students.

No. They don't need alternatives to indoctrination. They need to not be indoctrinated.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat May 23, 2020 7:41 am

Dogmeat wrote:
Geneviev wrote:I don't think anyone would think teaching about the history of religion in the US would be inappropriate. But if they're being taught that it's true, there need to be alternatives for those students.

No. They don't need alternatives to indoctrination. They need to not be indoctrinated.

It's not supposed to be indoctrination. It's meant to help them understand their own religion so they can't be indoctrinated by their church.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire » Sun May 24, 2020 6:11 pm

Necroghastia wrote:What is there to "prepare" for about joining a church? Would your ideal also prepare one to join a mosque, or synagogue, or any other type of place of worship? How is that comparable to personal finance or languages?

Yes, absolutely. People should be able to consider what religion they believe in. Otherwise they don't really have freedom of religion. Religious life is as essential to the United States as personal finance and language.

And that would include freedom to believe in no religion or reject religion correct?

You can't have freedom of religion without the freedom to reject.
Last edited by Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire on Sun May 24, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a master at arguing right after I hit "submit"

Veni, Vidi, Vici. I came, I saw, I conquered.

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Mon May 25, 2020 2:29 am

Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire wrote:
Yes, absolutely. People should be able to consider what religion they believe in. Otherwise they don't really have freedom of religion. Religious life is as essential to the United States as personal finance and language.

And that would include freedom to believe in no religion or reject religion correct?

Quite so.

If religion is being taught in a historical or critical sense, there should be no harm in discussing atheism, and secular philosophers as well.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon May 25, 2020 5:25 am

Necroghastia wrote:What is there to "prepare" for about joining a church? Would your ideal also prepare one to join a mosque, or synagogue, or any other type of place of worship? How is that comparable to personal finance or languages?

No, it isnt.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Mon May 25, 2020 6:56 am

Genivaria wrote:

One also has to account for those who go to a different church, after all. Teaching religion on a voluntary basis makes it easier for say, a Christian to understand why his dad's Muslim colleague spends the daylight hours of an entire month with neither food nor drink, a Buddhist to understand why her Jewish neighbor is unavailable during the weekends...you get the point. As I would see it, the intent to ensure that people of varying creeds understand why group A abides by this creed and group B that creed and group C that creed--a means of understanding one another.
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon May 25, 2020 7:06 am

Kernen wrote:

No, it isnt.

To be fair, it is a huge part of the culture here, much more than in Germany.

Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire » Mon May 25, 2020 9:00 am

Geneviev wrote:
Kernen wrote:No, it isnt.

But also to be fair, we don't teach things in school based on culture, we teach them based on knowledgeable academic subjects.

Religion might be cultural, but it isn't too useful for the purposes of school, if it's even useful at all.
I'm a master at arguing right after I hit "submit"

Veni, Vidi, Vici. I came, I saw, I conquered.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon May 25, 2020 9:09 am

Geneviev wrote:

Hardly. One needn't have any religious education to be wildly successful in the US.

Lawful Evil

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon May 25, 2020 9:34 am

Jedi Council wrote:
Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire wrote:And that would include freedom to believe in no religion or reject religion correct?

Quite so.

If religion is being taught in a historical or critical sense, there should be no harm in discussing atheism, and secular philosophers as well.

Discussion of it in its historical context as well may interest students into pursuing it on their own.

There is no reason to single out any or a few religions to instruct students in, unless a parent has enrolled them in an off-site religious instruction program such as CCD, which I attended during elementary school. At 2 every Wednesday, students enrolled in CCD at my public school were walked across the street to the Catholic school for religious instruction.

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Mon May 25, 2020 10:07 am

New Visayan Islands wrote:
Genivaria wrote:This is some serious Orwellian thinking, it's 'unfair' that students choose not to go to church or faith services so they must be forced into it? The fuck?

One also has to account for those who go to a different church, after all. Teaching religion on a voluntary basis makes it easier for say, a Christian to understand why his dad's Muslim colleague spends the daylight hours of an entire month with neither food nor drink, a Buddhist to understand why her Jewish neighbor is unavailable during the weekends...you get the point. As I would see it, the intent to ensure that people of varying creeds understand why group A abides by this creed and group B that creed and group C that creed--a means of understanding one another.

Teaching religion “voluntarily” means you create a national cultural fabric full of holes, and a bunch of kids fall through those holes and grow up into adults who know nothing about Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, nor their similarities and differences. And what people don’t know, they mistreat. There would be a lot less religious bigotry in America if religion were a required part of everyone’s curriculum.
“Brave as the battle roll of drum,
Strong as the surf when tempests come,
Throbbed all of Jersey’s hearts of oak,
When war upon the Jerseys broke.”

CyberNations class of 2007
Former Nation | Never Forget | Support Our Troops
...got milk? ;) Drink Pepsi, Defeat Communism

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Mon May 25, 2020 10:08 am

Kernen wrote:

No, it isnt.

Maybe not to you, but your kids will have to interact with religious people in their lives and I don’t want them to make bigoted arses of themselves.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon May 25, 2020 10:15 am

Maybe not to you, but your kids will have to interact with religious people in their lives and I don’t want them to make bigoted arses of themselves.

I'm not having kids.

Despite that, I was more than capable of not coming across like a bigoted ass to religious folk regardless of a religious education. It is, surprisingly, not that hard to not be an asshole. Children are more than capable of learning this without formal education.
Last edited by Kernen on Mon May 25, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawful Evil

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Mon May 25, 2020 10:17 am

Kernen wrote:

I'm not having kids.

Despite that, I was more than capable of not coming across like a bigoted ass to religious folk regardless of a religious education. It is, surprisingly, not that hard to not be an asshole. Children are more than capable of learning this without formal education.

That’s very nice, you grew up with a lucky education and think everyone else can be that lucky too. There are enough Islamophobes in America to know your “trickle down” theory of tolerance education has been a bust.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon May 25, 2020 10:20 am

Kernen wrote:I'm not having kids.

That’s very nice, you grew up with a lucky education and think everyone else can be that lucky too. There are enough Islamophobes in America to know your “trickle down” theory of tolerance education has been a bust.

I didn't get shit from my upbringing on the topic. Again, its not hard to not be an asshole, even when ignorant. I'm not sure how this is complicated. Basic manners transcend specific situations.

Lawful Evil

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Mon May 25, 2020 10:21 am

Kernen wrote:

I didn't get shit from my upbringing on the topic. Again, its not hard to not be an asshole, even when ignorant. I'm not sure how this is complicated. Basic manners transcend specific situations.

That’s not true at all, and if you’ve ever been stereotyped you’d know how naive it is to think “basic manners” can magically end ignorant misconceptions about various religious faiths in America.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon May 25, 2020 10:22 am

Kernen wrote:I didn't get shit from my upbringing on the topic. Again, its not hard to not be an asshole, even when ignorant. I'm not sure how this is complicated. Basic manners transcend specific situations.

That’s not true at all, and if you’ve ever been stereotyped you’d know how naive it is to think “basic manners” can magically end ignorant misconceptions about various religious faiths in America.

I mean basic manners can at least keep people from saying stupid shit. Doesn't mean they won't think it.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon May 25, 2020 10:22 am

Kernen wrote:I didn't get shit from my upbringing on the topic. Again, its not hard to not be an asshole, even when ignorant. I'm not sure how this is complicated. Basic manners transcend specific situations.

Bigotry is taught. Ignorance is not bigotry.

You can deal with bigotry without teaching religion.

Lawful Evil

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General