NATION

PASSWORD

Should Religions Be Taught in Schools?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How can religions evangelize in schools?

Student groups
22%
Classes
6%
Both
20%
Neither
52%

Total votes : 396

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sun May 17, 2020 12:42 am

If schools are allowed to teach about religion, should they be able to be critical and point out the flimsy evidence behind some of the beliefs? The virgin birth, miracles, Muhammad flying to Jerusalem, mistranslations, things inserted into texts, later inventions etc.
Everything is intertwinkled

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sun May 17, 2020 12:47 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:The system my (primary) school used was to let volunteers from the Churches come in and teach one lesson of the week.

I was the annoying atheist kid and I absolutely destroyed the volunteers ... except the Greek Orthodox priest who managed to shut me up by preaching in Greek, then entirely drove me out of his class by leading the children in song. In Greek of course.

I did every religion available, and after that I was finally allowed to read in the library instead. That became the non-religion class.

Lucky you. I meanwhile must know my limits, so I must be satisfied by asking my religion teacher about the mathematical error in the Quran during a lesson about inheritance, then hold my laugh with my two other friends (fellow closet irreligious) when the guy spectacularly stumbles.
Last edited by Region of Dwipantara on Sun May 17, 2020 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Khilafah – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sun May 17, 2020 1:02 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:If schools are allowed to teach about religion, should they be able to be critical and point out the flimsy evidence behind some of the beliefs? The virgin birth, miracles, Muhammad flying to Jerusalem, mistranslations, things inserted into texts, later inventions etc.

And I would add: and include all other religions as curriculum.
If you want to teach religion, you should more extensively.
Last edited by Thepeopl on Sun May 17, 2020 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun May 17, 2020 1:04 am

Thepeopl wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:If schools are allowed to teach about religion, should they be able to be critical and point out the flimsy evidence behind some of the beliefs? The virgin birth, miracles, Muhammad flying to Jerusalem, mistranslations, things inserted into texts, later inventions etc.

And I would add: and include all other religions as curriculum.

That's impossible - there are too many.
Hence why I suggested a minimum number like 5; where the 5 should be truly different religions, not merely different flavours of the same religion.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sun May 17, 2020 1:09 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Thepeopl wrote:And I would add: and include all other religions as curriculum.

Hence why I suggested a minimum number like 5; where the 5 should be truly different religions, not merely different flavours of the same religion.

And it's probably should be covered as part of world history, tbh. Socio-economic conditions before its rise, development, relation with the state/empire that the respective religion is in, schisms, etc. But not too crazy on the detail, as school is not a history major; just like normal world history course.

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Thepeopl
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sun May 17, 2020 1:09 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Thepeopl wrote:And I would add: and include all other religions as curriculum.

My school solved that problem by just teach a religion per lesson. Main ideas, concept of creation/ afterlife/ goals of humanity, where it is practiced and when.
I had "religion class", 1 hour per week for a whole school year.

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sun May 17, 2020 1:10 am

Thepeopl wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

My school solved that problem by just teach a religion per lesson. Main ideas, concept of creation/ afterlife/ goals of humanity, where it is practiced and when.

Specifically about religion? Huh.

1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03

Thepeopl
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sun May 17, 2020 1:28 am

Region of Dwipantara wrote:
Thepeopl wrote:My school solved that problem by just teach a religion per lesson. Main ideas, concept of creation/ afterlife/ goals of humanity, where it is practiced and when.

Specifically about religion? Huh.

Yes, just about religion. I also had "society class" about politics and socioeconomic issues and gay/trans etc. We had rehabilitated convicts, junkies etc give guest lessons.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun May 17, 2020 1:45 am

Thepeopl wrote:
Region of Dwipantara wrote:Specifically about religion? Huh.

Yes, just about religion. I also had "society class" about politics and socioeconomic issues and gay/trans etc. We had rehabilitated convicts, junkies etc give guest lessons.

This sounds like an excellent way to do it.
Although I imagine that for some religions finding a priest or expert willing and able to come over to school could be quite hard. Take Juche :P
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Thepeopl
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sun May 17, 2020 1:52 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Thepeopl wrote:Yes, just about religion. I also had "society class" about politics and socioeconomic issues and gay/trans etc. We had rehabilitated convicts, junkies etc give guest lessons.

This sounds like an excellent way to do it.
Although I imagine that for some religions finding a priest or expert willing and able to come over to school could be quite hard. Take Juche :P

Those were explained by the religion teacher. And picture books...late 1980ties.

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Sun May 17, 2020 2:02 am

Ignorance is the reason many a black legend exists. We (not intended to be personal) think people who abide by different religious beliefs are crazies because we either don't know jack about their particular belief system at best, or know only the black legends, blood libels, etc. at worst. Teaching religion in schools on a voluntary basis would, theoretically, clear the air and put paid to whatever black legends give the numerous extant creeds terrible terrible names.
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun May 17, 2020 2:13 am

Thepeopl wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:This sounds like an excellent way to do it.

Those were explained by the religion teacher. And picture books...late 1980ties.

Hmm. That is not entirely fair then. For religion A you get a man in a funny outfit and perhaps a fieldtrip, for B a regular class.

Thepeopl
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sun May 17, 2020 3:55 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Thepeopl wrote:Those were explained by the religion teacher. And picture books...late 1980ties.

Hmm. That is not entirely fair then. For religion A you get a man in a funny outfit and perhaps a fieldtrip, for B a regular class.

True, but some religions are no longer "active". So I don't think they'll complain.

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Sun May 17, 2020 4:02 am

The Sladerstan wrote:They should really teach creationism first... if not Christianity will be basically a book of fairytales for the students. You have to show there is a God and then show who He is.

Creationism is not true, so it does not belong in school.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Sun May 17, 2020 4:06 am

No, they belong in church school or wherever. If you're going to mention it in class, remove all the dangerous nonsense (like creationism)

In religious schools its fine as long as they're not brainwashed
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun May 17, 2020 4:18 am

Thepeopl wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

True, but some religions are no longer "active". So I don't think they'll complain.

How did they prevent complaints from parents btw ? Here a fieldtrip to a mosque caused parents to flip. For one, because the boys and girls were seperated. And shit really hit the fan when they heard a few had also been kneeling during a demonstration of an Islamic prayer; saying their kid had been tricked into paying tribute to a false god...
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Sun May 17, 2020 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun May 17, 2020 4:53 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Thepeopl wrote:True, but some religions are no longer "active". So I don't think they'll complain.

How did they prevent complaints from parents btw ? Here a fieldtrip to a mosque caused parents to flip. For one, because the boys and girls were seperated. And shit really hit the fan when they heard a few had also been kneeling during a demonstration of an Islamic prayer; saying their kid had been tricked into paying tribute to a false god...

A christian calling Allah a false God is like one homeless man calling another one a broke ass motherfucker.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 am

The Sladerstan wrote:They should really teach creationism first... if not Christianity will be basically a book of fairytales for the students. You have to show there is a God and then show who He is.

It already is a book of fairytales and creationism is a myth. Evolution has been proven, more than creationism.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Eudea
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Eudea » Sun May 17, 2020 4:55 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

A christian calling Allah a false God is like one homeless man calling another one a broke ass motherfucker.

AFAIK they worship the same god, just with different interpretations or something like that. Which is kind of funny.
| STATE OF EUDEA
MT pseudoparadisal island nation in the Pacific, calmly weathering the world.
The Nation  Civil Protection Drugs and Illegal Substances officers publicly congratulated on major drug bust // Eudean black tea named the national hot drink

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Sun May 17, 2020 4:57 am

Yes, especially if it's taught by bhikkhus.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun May 17, 2020 4:58 am

Eudea wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

AFAIK they worship the same god, just with different interpretations or something like that. Which is kind of funny.

I think the name is a major part of what throws them off. Allah is Arabic for God and even Arab Christians call God "Allah" (I know an Iraqi guy named Joe who is a Christian and he said "I love nothing but Allah"). But because we live in the dumbest western nation, people here think Allah means "different God than our God." Yeah, I guess Mexicans worship a different God too. Bet the same dickheads think latinos worship Ronnie James Dio.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sun May 17, 2020 4:58 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

It already is a book of fairytales and creationism is a myth. Evolution has been proven, more than creationism.

Myth or not, for a lot of people in most western nations and beyond it still has an enormous pull. Not necessarily because they pro-actively believe in it but because it's still a very strong cultural and religious under current. It may have been vanished and weakened at the surface, but the codes and elements of this memeplex still run strong.

I've had a couple of years a big discussion about this with an dude about this point exactly, he tried to tell me the same. Basically saying I couldn ignore it. Well I disagreed. And I still do, but at the same time he had a point. This memeplex can be deconstructed, or turned around, it still has inertia. For many people it has, indepdenently how legit it is, a lot of sway. (I personally believe it to be an very elaborate scheme/lie)

Hobbes Dystopia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbes Dystopia » Sun May 17, 2020 4:59 am

Lies and Pseudoscience do not belong in schools. We already have too many ignorant adults.
Long live to science! Long live reason!

Eudea
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Eudea » Sun May 17, 2020 5:00 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Eudea wrote:

I think the name is a major part of what throws them off. Allah is Arabic for God and even Arab Christians call God "Allah" (I know an Iraqi guy named Joe who is a Christian and he said "I love nothing but Allah"). But because we live in the dumbest western nation, people here think Allah means "different God than our God." Yeah, I guess Mexicans worship a different God too. Bet the same dickheads think latinos worship Ronnie James Dio.

Knowledge of linguistics and foreign terms for familiar things would be a very useful thing in lessening the stupidity of such idiots I think. That could be something to maybe mention in schools, so youths can say to their idiotic parents “well, actually...”
| STATE OF EUDEA
MT pseudoparadisal island nation in the Pacific, calmly weathering the world.
The Nation  Civil Protection Drugs and Illegal Substances officers publicly congratulated on major drug bust // Eudean black tea named the national hot drink

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Sun May 17, 2020 5:07 am

Eudea wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

While the Islamic Allah is *supposed* to be the same as the Christian God, some Christians would probably argue he's an amalgamated character between the true God and the false figure who Muhammad proclaimed he received revelations from.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General