NATION

PASSWORD

Should Religions Be Taught in Schools?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How can religions evangelize in schools?

Student groups
22%
Classes
6%
Both
20%
Neither
52%

Total votes : 396

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sat May 16, 2020 3:32 pm

Godular wrote:
Kernen wrote:No argument against that. I'm not sure most of those schools are as good, but it depends very much on what you want out of a collegiate experience.

While not making a claim against the curriculum of such schools, in my experience the philosophy majors from such schools that pop up on this forum have tended towards magnum-opus-level douchebaggery.

No doubt. Truly, a secular school is not good because it is secular. But the "good" colleges out there in the U.S. do tend to be secular. Correlation but not causation, I am sure.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sat May 16, 2020 3:33 pm

Kernen wrote:No argument against that. I'm not sure most of those schools are as good, but it depends very much on what you want out of a collegiate experience.

Georgetown University, John Carroll, the University of Dayton and Notre Dame are all affiliated with the Catholic Church and are some of the best universities in the country, for example. I don't know much about universities associated with Protestant churches but I would expect there to be numerous high-ranking universities affiliated with their denominations as well. For other religions you'd probably have to look overseas, though.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Sat May 16, 2020 3:33 pm

Private schools should receive public funding. It would make the education system a bit more neutral. Religious education shouldn’t be available just for wealthy children, it should be accessible to all children. The present state of affairs makes religious people find secular education with their taxes and pay large amounts for a private religious education.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat May 16, 2020 3:33 pm

Nap the Magnificent wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:what?

Both of those are used to indoctrinate kids with values, worldviews, etc. I mean, all education does this but generally we don't like to think of it as such because indoctrination is for "uncivilized" types in popular Western discourse.

Indoctrination isn’t bad. I have no issues with it.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Sat May 16, 2020 3:34 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Nap the Magnificent wrote:Both of those are used to indoctrinate kids with values, worldviews, etc. I mean, all education does this but generally we don't like to think of it as such because indoctrination is for "uncivilized" types in popular Western discourse.

Indoctrination isn’t bad. I have no issues with it.

Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Sat May 16, 2020 3:36 pm

VoVoDoCo wrote:
Kernen wrote:
The end result, of course, is that religious students will have disciplinary records that make it difficult to be competitive at secular colleges.

I guess that works out for those who know when to render unto Caesar.

Well one of the worst teachings of the alleged Jesus was the idea that persecution, in his name, is a sign of success. So those kind of natural consequences of their actions Will only encourage them.

And there’s plenty of Christian colleges that I’m sure will be willing to accept them.

"alleged"

yea ok.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Sat May 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Kernen wrote:
Godular wrote:
While not making a claim against the curriculum of such schools, in my experience the philosophy majors from such schools that pop up on this forum have tended towards magnum-opus-level douchebaggery.

No doubt. Truly, a secular school is not good because it is secular. But the "good" colleges out there in the U.S. do tend to be secular. Correlation but not causation, I am sure.

In point of fact, many of the top schools are affiliated with a religion.
Last edited by South Odreria 2 on Sat May 16, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat May 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Agarntrop wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Indoctrination isn’t bad. I have no issues with it.

Indoctrination in the values of the nation is a good thing. So secular indoctrination is a good thing
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sat May 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Vetalia wrote:

Georgetown University, John Carroll, the University of Dayton and Notre Dame are all affiliated with the Catholic Church and are some of the best universities in the country, for example. I don't know much about universities associated with Protestant churches but I would expect there to be numerous high-ranking universities affiliated with their denominations as well. For other religions you'd probably have to look overseas, though.

I agree. That is why I conditioned a great deal of what I said.

Of course, thats four, compared to the myriad state and private secular schools on that list. None of the Ivys, iirc. Though, to be fair, I haven't checked.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sat May 16, 2020 3:37 pm

Hakons wrote:Private schools should receive public funding. It would make the education system a bit more neutral. Religious education shouldn’t be available just for wealthy children, it should be accessible to all children. The present state of affairs makes religious people find secular education with their taxes and pay large amounts for a private religious education.

Or they could just teach their religious beliefs and views in the home?
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat May 16, 2020 3:37 pm

Hakons wrote:Private schools should receive public funding. It would make the education system a bit more neutral. Religious education shouldn’t be available just for wealthy children, it should be accessible to all children. The present state of affairs makes religious people find secular education with their taxes and pay large amounts for a private religious education.

Religious education shouldn’t even be legal. It should be something that’s taught at home or the place of worship not in schools
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sat May 16, 2020 3:38 pm

South Odreria 2 wrote:
Kernen wrote:No doubt. Truly, a secular school is not good because it is secular. But the "good" colleges out there in the U.S. do tend to be secular. Correlation but not causation, I am sure.

In point of fact, many of the top schools are affiliated with a religion.

Quick scan of the US news national review gives 3/25. Take that as you will, I guess.

Lawful Evil

South Odreria 2
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Sat May 16, 2020 3:38 pm

Not strictly on topic but I had a high school history teacher that was opposed to compulsory education at all.
Valrifell wrote:

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sat May 16, 2020 3:38 pm

Kernen wrote:Its been some time since I applied to undergraduate studies, but I recall submitting a transcript that included disciplinary action. The transcript did not include a detailed description that would make that clear.

I do recall applying to graduate school, which questioned my disciplinary record considerably.

I don't recall having to submit a transcript with disciplinary actions for undergrad...mine would have been clean, but even if it weren't I could attest to my academic performance, test scores, etc. In this case a one-off disciplinary action probably wouldn't raise any questions especially if you explain it. For my grad school application I assume there would have been a disciplinary record but as far as I am aware the only real actions that would have been taken would have been for serious things like plagiarism.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Sat May 16, 2020 3:39 pm

Jedi Council wrote:

oh sure, not allowed to discuss faith at all in public or be stigmatized, what a tolerant society you have built on the backs of others.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat May 16, 2020 3:39 pm

I do think that private schools or home schools need to be held to certain standards, even if they are being taught religion in school. Many of the less fundamentalist schools do reach that standard. The issue comes when you get to fundamentalist schools or home-schoolers.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

South Odreria 2
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Sat May 16, 2020 3:40 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:

oh sure, not allowed to discuss faith at all in public or be stigmatized, what a tolerant society you have built on the backs of others.

It would seem that public funding of private schools is a different issue than allowing people to talk about their religion.
Valrifell wrote:

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Sat May 16, 2020 3:40 pm

Neutraligon wrote:I do think that private schools or home schools need to be held to certain standards, even if they are being taught religion in school. Many of the less fundamentalist schools do reach that standard. The issue comes when you get to fundamentalist schools or home-schoolers.

would you be open to a commission of sorts be established to set a guideline?
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sat May 16, 2020 3:40 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Kernen wrote:Its been some time since I applied to undergraduate studies, but I recall submitting a transcript that included disciplinary action. The transcript did not include a detailed description that would make that clear.

I do recall applying to graduate school, which questioned my disciplinary record considerably.

I don't recall having to submit a transcript with disciplinary actions for undergrad...mine would have been clean, but even if it weren't I could attest to my academic performance, test scores, etc. In this case a one-off disciplinary action probably wouldn't raise any questions especially if you explain it. For my grad school application I assume there would have been a disciplinary record but as far as I am aware the only real actions that would have been taken would have been for serious things like plagiarism.

Perhaps it depends on the program. I had to submit a detailed explanation of all academic disciplinary actions. And all criminal charges, not convictions.

Lawful Evil

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat May 16, 2020 3:40 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:I do think that private schools or home schools need to be held to certain standards, even if they are being taught religion in school. Many of the less fundamentalist schools do reach that standard. The issue comes when you get to fundamentalist schools or home-schoolers.

That really would depend on how they choose who would be on said commission.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sat May 16, 2020 3:41 pm

Nope nope fuck that noise nope nope nuh-uh nope. Even the concept of vouchers is ubermax bullshit. Improve the system, don't fuck it up further to help your own agenda.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sat May 16, 2020 3:42 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:

Thanks for putting words in my mouth, I'll just go ahead and remove them.

I said "teach religious beliefs and views at home."

I never said that such things should not be discussed freely and openly. They just should not discussed as fact in the context of a place of public education
Last edited by Jedi Council on Sat May 16, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Sat May 16, 2020 3:42 pm

I think Schools should teach religion, so we can avoid the hate that many religious people experince.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Sat May 16, 2020 3:42 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:

That really would depend on how they choose who would be on said commission.

certified educators and maybe a priest.

just to be sure.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

South Odreria 2
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Sat May 16, 2020 3:43 pm

I know you didn't directly say otherwise, but there are lots of liberal home-schoolers. In the UK they are in fact stereotyped as left-wing extremists.
Valrifell wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General