NATION

PASSWORD

Should Religions Be Taught in Schools?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How can religions evangelize in schools?

Student groups
22%
Classes
6%
Both
20%
Neither
52%

Total votes : 396

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat May 16, 2020 2:53 pm

Nap the Magnificent wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:Can we have a class devoted to remembering victims of religious intolerance, from the Crusades to 9/11?

As long as this includes religious intolerance from irreligious movements and factions, then sure.

That would seem obvious. Intolerance towards the religious is just as wrong and violent as intolerance because of religion.

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Sat May 16, 2020 2:53 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
VoVoDoCo wrote:And that’s a damn shame. Imagine being so insecure in your “unshakable” faith that you would be scared of a bunch of highschoolers expressing their viewpoints. Yikes.

Sent a request to start an atheist or agnostic club at my school. They never responded...oh but we can have static club and we can have Kensington Church meet at my school, the guys who my friend brendan said were "actually really cool" (newsflash, they're just like many an evangelical, thinking that anyone who doesn't believe as they do or who is gay should burn in the fiery depths of hell forever).

I wish I had become an atheist a couple years earlier. I would’ve tried to start one.
Are use voice to text, so accept some typos and Grammatical errors.
I'm a moderate free-market Libertarian boomer with a soft spot for Agorism. Also an Atheist.

I try not to do these or have those. Feel free to let me know if I come short.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sat May 16, 2020 2:54 pm

VoVoDoCo wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I've seen Secular Student Alliance clubs, they often encounter resistance from the administration.

And that’s a damn shame. Imagine being so insecure in your “unshakable” faith that you would be scared of a bunch of highschoolers expressing their viewpoints. Yikes.

Sucks when you can't control people, I guess.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sat May 16, 2020 2:56 pm

VoVoDoCo wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
Sent a request to start an atheist or agnostic club at my school. They never responded...oh but we can have static club and we can have Kensington Church meet at my school, the guys who my friend brendan said were "actually really cool" (newsflash, they're just like many an evangelical, thinking that anyone who doesn't believe as they do or who is gay should burn in the fiery depths of hell forever).

I wish I had become an atheist a couple years earlier. I would’ve tried to start one.

My college had an Atheist group... well, mostly a sort of pro-secularization group... we had all kinds. The meetings were fun!
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sat May 16, 2020 2:57 pm

Kernen wrote:
VoVoDoCo wrote:And that’s a damn shame. Imagine being so insecure in your “unshakable” faith that you would be scared of a bunch of highschoolers expressing their viewpoints. Yikes.

Sucks when you can't control people, I guess.

One of the goals of organized religion is to control people, any threat to their authority is seen as lethal.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Sat May 16, 2020 2:58 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Kernen wrote:Sucks when you can't control people, I guess.

One of the goals of organized religion is to control people, any threat to their authority is seen as lethal.

uh-huh.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat May 16, 2020 2:58 pm

Can we please stay on topic.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sat May 16, 2020 2:59 pm

In the sense of teaching the impact of religion on history, absolutely. It is impossible to properly teach or understand many periods in human history without understanding the related religious beliefs of the people during that period.

In the sense of actual religious catechesis in schools, absolutely not. That should be handled by the student's religion and not the school system; most if not all religions offer some kind of additional religious education for that purpose and quite frankly I would not necessarily entrust this kind of education to someone who may be outside of my religion (or whose criteria to provide religious instruction is dubious). However, students and teachers should be free to organize and participate in groups related to their religion as an extracurricular activity.

Now, if it's a school associated with a particular religion I think that would be different but in this case I assume we are referring to secular public schools.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Sat May 16, 2020 3:01 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:One of the goals of organized religion is to control people, any threat to their authority is seen as lethal.

uh-huh.

It's really unfortunate that I'm agreeing with you.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Sat May 16, 2020 3:03 pm

South Odreria 2 wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:
uh-huh.

It's really unfortunate that I'm agreeing with you.

im sure theres a rule book for organized religion that stretches as far back as to when Pagans roamed the earth that has "control the population" as one of its main tenants.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 16, 2020 3:04 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:One of the goals of organized religion is to control people, any threat to their authority is seen as lethal.

uh-huh.

You say after thousands of years of people being murdered for challenging the church.

But please, do explain how religion isn't about that, when in the ten commandments itself, God demands submission.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 16, 2020 3:04 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
South Odreria 2 wrote:It's really unfortunate that I'm agreeing with you.

im sure theres a rule book for organized religion that stretches as far back as to when Pagans roamed the earth that has "control the population" as one of its main tenants.

Is it not controlling the population when there are strict rules you are not allowed to break?
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat May 16, 2020 3:04 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Kernen wrote:Sucks when you can't control people, I guess.

One of the reasons I'm not a fan of the Church, and why I decided to convert to Lutheranism in 2019 from Calvinism.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Daves Computer
Envoy

Founded: May 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Daves Computer » Sat May 16, 2020 3:04 pm

I'm not taking any side but I notice this thread is turning into a more belligerent stance on religion, which is both offensive to some and completely irrelevant to the original topic. Continuing this discussion further may result in mods doling warnings or punishments for thread-jacking and all.

Earthbound Immortal Squad
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Sat May 16, 2020 3:07 pm

I had to learn about religion in school. I'm not religious myself but my big problem was that we were only taught Christianity and Islam with a tiny bit of the rest. If religion is taught in schools it should be all the major religions not just a couple that tick the diversity and inclusiveness boxes. Otherwise not at all.
Merry Christmas!

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Sat May 16, 2020 3:07 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:
uh-huh.

You say after thousands of years of people being murdered for challenging the church.
But please, do explain how religion isn't about that, when in the ten commandments itself, God demands submission.

is this the Pagan's version of the holocaust?
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat May 16, 2020 3:07 pm

Considering that this thread has not been able to stay on topic despite repeated requests I am seriously considering locking it and waiting for another mod to come by to hand out warnings.
Just A Little though

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Sat May 16, 2020 3:09 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:

Is it not controlling the population when there are strict rules you are not allowed to break?

strict rules such as the 10 commandments?

didnt know you were a fan of murder and the like.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sat May 16, 2020 3:09 pm

Neutraligon wrote:Considering that this thread has not been able to stay on topic despite repeated requests I am seriously considering locking it and waiting for another mod to come by to hand out warnings.

Would me saying 'you have my blessing' be ironic?
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat May 16, 2020 3:10 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

ENOUGH!!!! I will give this thread 1 more chance to stay on topic.
Just A Little though

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sat May 16, 2020 3:10 pm

Earthbound Immortal Squad wrote:I had to learn about religion in school. I'm not religious myself but my big problem was that we were only taught Christianity and Islam with a tiny bit of the rest. If religion is taught in schools it should be all the major religions not just a couple that tick the diversity and inclusiveness boxes. Otherwise not at all.

Thats a shame, because Hinduism and Buddhism are very relevant to the cultural spread along the Silk Roads.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat May 16, 2020 3:10 pm

Godular wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Considering that this thread has not been able to stay on topic despite repeated requests I am seriously considering locking it and waiting for another mod to come by to hand out warnings.

Would me saying 'you have my blessing' be ironic?

That's pretty funny, all things considered.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Sat May 16, 2020 3:10 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:

ENOUGH!!!! I will give this thread 1 more chance to stay on topic.

ill stop.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Sat May 16, 2020 3:10 pm

I'll try a saving throw, what should the role of religious schools be in the education system?
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sat May 16, 2020 3:12 pm

South Odreria 2 wrote:I'll try a saving throw, what should the role of religious schools be in the education system?

Keeping out.

Lawful Evil

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General