NATION

PASSWORD

Should Native American Nations be made independent countries

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Fri May 15, 2020 7:31 pm

Novus America wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
But why should they get greater autonomy?

Is this not unfair to the average American citizen?

Should it not be balanced and equal all across?

Because they were there before the US formed and we agreed via agreements they could.

It's not even really that. It's like asking why does Rhide Island get to be autonomous from New York, or Minneapolis can make autonomous decisions without input from Seattle.

Equally, their autonomy in practice is somewhere between a the level a county has and a state has, only with federal oversight instead of state oversight. It's really not typically particularly autonomous, and generally only have the ability to encourage or discourage certain types of activity on the reservation.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri May 15, 2020 7:55 pm

Seangoli wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Because they were there before the US formed and we agreed via agreements they could.

It's not even really that. It's like asking why does Rhide Island get to be autonomous from New York, or Minneapolis can make autonomous decisions without input from Seattle.

Equally, their autonomy in practice is somewhere between a the level a county has and a state has, only with federal oversight instead of state oversight. It's really not typically particularly autonomous, and generally only have the ability to encourage or discourage certain types of activity on the reservation.

Some of those were because of agreements going back before the formation of the US.

True their autonomy is limited, but it is more complicated because they are not counties, overlap with counties and have conflicts with them, and are also subject to some state oversight and laws too. Which needs to be simplified.

The legal confusion needs to be streamlined which would help things a lot, with a clear division and greater delegation of powers and county, municipal boundaries and congressional districts set so that they align with, rather than conflicting with the reservations lines.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri May 15, 2020 7:57 pm

Seangoli wrote:
Novus America wrote:

So they're like territories?
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri May 15, 2020 8:10 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Seangoli wrote:

In a way yes, though most territories have more autonomy and it is more on a case by case basis. Also territories are not within any state or county, while the reservations are.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Inner Firatrundessia
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Inner Firatrundessia » Fri May 15, 2020 8:36 pm

No because they would be extremely vunerable by themselves and without the protection of the US government. I'm aware of the severe injustice in how the government has treated them. And I do think whatever we have now isn't working, and needs to be fixed, but separating from the America is a bad idea. Although to be fair I'm not a native American, I admit I am not knowledgeable on this subject

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 16, 2020 6:05 am

Novus America wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

In a way yes, though most territories have more autonomy and it is more on a case by case basis. Also territories are not within any state or county, while the reservations are.

The reservations are an odd concept fr.
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Sat May 16, 2020 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Dahyan
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Sat May 16, 2020 6:13 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Well, they are the result of a massive genocide, so yeah.
Your friendly neighbourhood Muslim Communist
Member of the Committee for Proletarian Morality

More about the Zaydi Islamic school of thought: https://imgur.com/a/I3Vy5RD
http://zaydiya.blogspot.com/2009/10/zai ... idism.html
News from the Yemeni revolutionary struggle against Saudi-led invasion: https://uprising.today/

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 16, 2020 6:53 am

Dahyan wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Well, they are the result of a massive genocide, so yeah.

If you think about it, reservations at least back in the late 19th century to early 20th century were like Native American concentration camps.

Yes, I know we're supposed to keep the illusion going that the holocaust is totally unique and nothing comparable ever happened in world history, but that's simply not true. Any place people are basically imprisoned without adequate food or supplies just for their ethnicity is a concentration camp.

Dahyan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Sat May 16, 2020 6:57 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Dahyan wrote:Well, they are the result of a massive genocide, so yeah.

If you think about it, reservations at least back in the late 19th century to early 20th century were like Native American concentration camps.

Yes, I know we're supposed to keep the illusion going that the holocaust is totally unique and nothing comparable ever happened in world history, but that's simply not true. Any place people are basically imprisoned without adequate food or supplies just for their ethnicity is a concentration camp.

Basically, yes. The Nazis didn't even invent the concept, let alone be the only ones who used it.

News from the Yemeni revolutionary struggle against Saudi-led invasion: https://uprising.today/

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 16, 2020 6:58 am

Dahyan wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Basically, yes. The Nazis didn't even invent the concept, let alone be the only ones who used it.

I heard they used to forcefully imprison people on the reservations and would hunt down and bring back anyone who tried to leave.

Auze
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Sat May 16, 2020 8:12 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

Concentration camps were not knew to the Nazis. The whole "mass gassing of people in the concentration camps" thing was new, and unique in how industrialized it was.
Hello, I'm an Latter-day Saint kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

Anyway, how about a game?
[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.
In general I am a Centrist

I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 16, 2020 9:56 am

The only thing worse than the reservations themselves were the Indian schools. Oh boy, ooooh boy.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sat May 16, 2020 10:03 am

Rojava Free State wrote:The only thing worse than the reservations themselves were the Indian schools. Oh boy, ooooh boy.

I think actual murdering people genocides, which happened a lot to Native Americans, is still probably much worse.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat May 16, 2020 10:10 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

Concentration camps weren't unique. The whole "gassing 11 million people in said concentration camps and enslaving the rest" was.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 16, 2020 10:13 am

Atheris wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Concentration camps weren't unique. The whole "gassing 11 million people in said concentration camps and enslaving the rest" was.

Do we know how many native Americans starved and died on the reservations in the early 20th century?

Nap the Magnificent
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nap the Magnificent » Sat May 16, 2020 10:31 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Novus America wrote:

It's a complicated history as to how they arose and dates back to older colonial attempts to manage the expansion of colonies whilst living alongside a particular tribe. The early American-Indian Wars were incredibly brutal, even by the standards of the day, which over time led to the idea of creating treaties and "negotiating" with a particular tribe to give up huge tracts of territory other than those set aside where tribal law would come first and foremost and with this promise supposed to be guaranteed by the US federal government. At least, that was the theory. This was considered better than waging a shit ton of really brutal wars which often led to whole scale massacres and other atrocities committed by either side. It's been a messy affair since then with a number of tribes being forced into lands they didn't have any historical connection to for instance or some tribes being forced to share a reserve with another tribe.
Orthodox Christian. Counter-Enlightenment. Communitarian. Working towards medical school. Pro-Achaemenid, anti-Athenian. Western civilization doesn't exist.
"The heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Nap the Magnificent
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nap the Magnificent » Sat May 16, 2020 10:35 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Atheris wrote:Concentration camps weren't unique. The whole "gassing 11 million people in said concentration camps and enslaving the rest" was.

Do we know how many native Americans starved and died on the reservations in the early 20th century?

Why limit it at the early 20th century? Even today a lot of them have horrendous living conditions with higher rates of just about nearly everything negative you can think of from poverty, infant mortality, drug and alcohol addiction. A lot of them lack things such as appropriate housing, safe drinking water, readily available health care, etc.
Orthodox Christian. Counter-Enlightenment. Communitarian. Working towards medical school. Pro-Achaemenid, anti-Athenian. Western civilization doesn't exist.

Nap the Magnificent
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nap the Magnificent » Sat May 16, 2020 10:37 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Dahyan wrote:

I heard they used to forcefully imprison people on the reservations and would hunt down and bring back anyone who tried to leave.

Yes, this was the case after 1851 with the Indian Appropriations Act where they couldn't leave their reserve without permission.

Ayytaly
Minister

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayytaly » Sat May 16, 2020 7:35 pm

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
hopefully we can do it better this time, now that we know where things went wrong and how we can systematically help them make the transition better (we have a lot more data, better technology, better management, better understanding etc)

there will need to be a few decades of adjustment but with the right government support, I think can make the transition (and they should because it promotes equality and freedom for all)

This is my hope

Assimilation with a hefty dose of white man’s burden isn’t equality. It’d actually be called cultural genocide.

The culture's already been genocided, love. Nothing says "American" like adopting the ways of Europe, especifically Anglo-Saxon and Germanic culture. I theorize that's the main reason why even conservative white folk favor black folk over [indigenous] American in race relations---the former was Anglicized and continues to embrace their variation of Anglo-Saxonism to this day, whereas the latter continuously resists and pushes for recognition of their lands, languages, and culture. This pisses off the typical paleoconservative WASP, who already hates multiculturalism in general; he desires EVERYONE to be just as milquetoast and generic as he is, because--in his mind--the US was founded on "WeSteRn VaLuEs!", and thus the people should abide to Western European culture, and only Western European. Ironically, Europe's early civilizations were founded by outsiders, but logic doesn't apply to them, just collective narcissism.

But I digress.
Signatures are the obnoxious car bumper stickers of the internet. Also, Rojava did nothing right.

Dahyan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Sun May 17, 2020 1:26 am

Ayytaly wrote:
Heloin wrote:Assimilation with a hefty dose of white man’s burden isn’t equality. It’d actually be called cultural genocide.

The culture's already been genocided, love. Nothing says "American" like adopting the ways of Europe, especifically Anglo-Saxon and Germanic culture. I theorize that's the main reason why even conservative white folk favor black folk over [indigenous] American in race relations---the former was Anglicized and continues to embrace their variation of Anglo-Saxonism to this day, whereas the latter continuously resists and pushes for recognition of their lands, languages, and culture. This pisses off the typical paleoconservative WASP, who already hates multiculturalism in general; he desires EVERYONE to be just as milquetoast and generic as he is, because--in his mind--the US was founded on "WeSteRn VaLuEs!", and thus the people should abide to Western European culture, and only Western European. Ironically, Europe's early civilizations were founded by outsiders, but logic doesn't apply to them, just collective narcissism.

But I digress.

This analysis is on point.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun May 17, 2020 2:35 am

Dahyan wrote:
Ayytaly wrote:

But I digress.

No it isn't. It's a condescending ramble that begins with one point, creates a conclusion that directly contradicts what he first stated, then bitches about what western culture is.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun May 17, 2020 5:00 am

Heloin wrote:
Dahyan wrote:

No it isn't. It's a condescending ramble that begins with one point, creates a conclusion that directly contradicts what he first stated, then bitches about what western culture is.

WASPs stopped being important in America after 1930. And if anything conservative white people like natives more than blacks. It's why stories about crime on native reservations illicit typical responses of "so sad. Such a sad sad place." But talk about crime in Detroit and they say "someone let the monkeys out of the zoo again."

Dahyan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Sun May 17, 2020 8:17 am

Heloin wrote:
Dahyan wrote:

Are you denying that Anglo-Saxon supremacist thought lies at the basis of the United States as a country?

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun May 17, 2020 8:25 am

Dahyan wrote:
Heloin wrote:No it isn't. It's a condescending ramble that begins with one point, creates a conclusion that directly contradicts what he first stated, then bitches about what western culture is.

Are you denying that Anglo-Saxon supremacist thought lies at the basis of the United States as a country?

It doesn't anymore. They don't make up more than 20% of America.

Dahyan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dahyan » Sun May 17, 2020 8:28 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Dahyan wrote:

It doesn't anymore. They don't make up more than 20% of America.

20% seems like a very low estimate. But nevertheless, the concept of "Western values" as it is often understood is Anglo-Saxon in essence. The United States still heavily emphasizes this concept, often to the detriment of other cultures.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General