NATION

PASSWORD

US States names and shapes: What would you change?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Your opinion on US States?

1: They're just fine
19%
2: Some changes could be made
52%
3: They're horrific
18%
4: No opinion/why is this even a matter of discussion?
12%

Total votes : 176

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 15, 2020 7:04 pm

I'd split in Alaska into two parts somewhere alomg the 65th lattitude, I'd change the name of South Carolina to "Carolina South" and ditto for North Carolina. I'd change the name of Virgina to "East Virginia". I'd split Hawaii in half, calling them "Hawaii 1" & "Hawaii 2" respectively, but each of the 8 major islands would contain a border. For example, Oahu would contain both Hawaii 1 & Hawaii 2, ditto for Maui, ditto for the Big Island etc. I'd change the name of New York to "NOT New Jersey" and the name of New Jersey to "NOT New York". I'd change the name of Florida "Full Miami" Why would I do all this? In order to mess with everyone.

Just kidding of coarse. In all honesty, the states are probably fine. Maybe give indipendence to the part of Michigan which is split from the rest of the state, and split California along where the rural Californians want it to be split, but other than that, it's probably fine. You're gonna cause a lot of problems by redesigning states because you think they're ugly
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri May 15, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Fri May 15, 2020 7:04 pm

Atheris wrote:
Makersaulache wrote:Yeah those names are very cool comparatively, but the lust after some reflected glory of those big cities is to strong to resist. It's like by naming your town after those cities instead of a unique or historical name you are showing your secret wish to be those places.
Edit: Maybe immigrants from other countries wanted to remember and honor there homelands/cities by naming there new homes after them if it's not one of those cases kinda pathetic though

It's very likely to be the last one. Louisiana is named after King Louis XIV, after all, and Virginia is named after the Virgin Queen, Mary.

Yeah, but those were named to honor an individual. What I'm talking about are cities in America named after unrelated places hundred of miles across the world. That's what makes no sense.
The Treangolist Revival of La Paz de Los Ricos
I survived the April 2024 NS outage! Also on a t-shirt! | Reworking national information. | The Navaluege Language (WIP)
CURRENT PROJECT . . .
The Tale These Islands Tell [PRIVATE|CLOSED] — [Chapter II - 02 April 2024]
A curmudgeonly Canadian reluctantly aids an aging Ricano legend in reviving the nation's history.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 7:06 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Atheris wrote:It's very likely to be the last one. Louisiana is named after King Louis XIV, after all, and Virginia is named after the Virgin Queen, Mary.

Elizabeth.

My bad. I get Mary and Elizabeth mixed up all the time.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Makersaulache
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Makersaulache » Fri May 15, 2020 7:08 pm

Saint Nicholas and the Hussars wrote:Better idea: Make every city Semi-Autonomous

The mess of difference and regulation that would create, but how autonomous are we talking?
Lol I shot diglett now it's deadlett

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri May 15, 2020 7:10 pm

Makersaulache wrote:
Saint Nicholas and the Hussars wrote:Better idea: Make every city Semi-Autonomous

The mess of difference and regulation that would create, but how autonomous are we talking?

I want the armies of Minneapolis and St. Paul facing off at the border.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Fri May 15, 2020 7:10 pm

Better yet: make everyone a state!

Why have a nation of fifty states when you can have over three hundred million of them?!
I survived the April 2024 NS outage! Also on a t-shirt! | Reworking national information. | The Navaluege Language (WIP)
CURRENT PROJECT . . .
A curmudgeonly Canadian reluctantly aids an aging Ricano legend in reviving the nation's history.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri May 15, 2020 7:12 pm

La Paz de Los Ricos wrote:

Why have a nation of fifty states when you can have over three hundred million of them?!

And somehow still have 2 senators each.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri May 15, 2020 7:13 pm

Aren't there some states which end up on opposite sides of rivers as they change coarse, surrounded by other states? I guess the first logical step would be that
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 7:15 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:

Mitosis, baby.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri May 15, 2020 7:18 pm

We've had giggles here today, but can we please agree that the twelve-mile circle between Delaware and Pennsylvania is unironically abhorrent and disgusting?
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Fri May 15, 2020 7:19 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:

Every little congressional spat would be its own major armed civil war. The country would be so fragile that any debate could instantly topple the whole system.
CURRENT PROJECT . . .

Makersaulache
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Makersaulache » Fri May 15, 2020 7:21 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:And somehow still have 2 senators each.

Every little congressional spat would be its own major armed civil war. The country would be so fragile that any debate could instantly topple the whole system.

No more debates, just warfare.

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 7:22 pm

Makersaulache wrote:

United States of TOTALER UND RADIKALEN KRIEG
#FreeNSGRojava

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Fri May 15, 2020 7:24 pm

Makersaulache wrote:

American society becomes a real-life MMORPG where any wrong decision means the death of you, your senators, and the entire country.

And that's if nobody got their hands on the nuclear launch codes.
CURRENT PROJECT . . .

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Makersaulache wrote:No more debates, just warfare.

American society becomes a real-life MMORPG where any wrong decision means the death of you, your senators, and the entire country.

I live 123 miles away from Washington, D.C. If I walk without stopping, it would take me 2337 minutes to get to Washington, or a bit over a day. Armed with a shotgun and a machete, I could break into the White House while my friends break into the Pentagon, which is in the same state as me. Given sufficient determination, a shotgun, and a machete, I could single-handedly begin the nuclear holocaust.
#FreeNSGRojava

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Fri May 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Atheris wrote:
Albrenia wrote:
Yes.

Time to make it uglier than Maryland's. How's this?

My god, I can still see the outline from that a couple minutes later.

I love it
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Makersaulache
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Makersaulache » Fri May 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Makersaulache wrote:No more debates, just warfare.

The nukes stop nothing, every man-nation rises from the ash to make warfare anew, the cycle continues forevermore.

Pythaga
Envoy

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Pythaga » Fri May 15, 2020 7:29 pm

Split Washington into two along the Cascades. Give the eastern half to Idaho, and name the western half something else to avoid the confusion.

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Fri May 15, 2020 7:31 pm

Makersaulache wrote:

The nukes stop nothing, every man-nation rises from the ash to make warfare anew, the cycle continues forevermore.

The world builds a wall around America and nobody can pay for it because all money was vaporized in Atheris' nuclear holocaust.
CURRENT PROJECT . . .

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 7:31 pm

Pythaga wrote:Split Washington into two along the Cascades. Give the eastern half to Idaho, and name the western half something else to avoid the confusion.

What about, get this, Adams?
#FreeNSGRojava

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri May 15, 2020 7:34 pm

I would rename Montana to West Dakota; and Minnesota to East Dakota
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri May 15, 2020 7:35 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:I would rename Montana to West Dakota; and Minnesota to East Dakota

The Dakotas east of the Missouri are West Minnesota, whatever's left is just Dakota.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Fri May 15, 2020 7:36 pm

I'd give Long Island and its bits of NYC to New Jersey to further the NY/NJ fued.
Last edited by New haven america on Fri May 15, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Solomons Land
Diplomat

Founded: May 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Solomons Land » Fri May 15, 2020 7:37 pm

This had probably been said already, but Virginia needs to change its name to East Virginia.
Generation 31: enter this into your signature and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
This statement is false.

Makersaulache
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Makersaulache » Fri May 15, 2020 7:38 pm

New haven america wrote:I give Long Island and its bits of NYC to New Jersey to further the NY/NJ fued.

Yes, little pockets of NJ territory desperately trying to defend themselves as angry New Yorkers take back their former territory. Wonderful

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General