NATION

PASSWORD

US States names and shapes: What would you change?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Your opinion on US States?

1: They're just fine
19%
2: Some changes could be made
52%
3: They're horrific
18%
4: No opinion/why is this even a matter of discussion?
12%

Total votes : 176

Brettenwald
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Brettenwald » Thu May 14, 2020 6:48 pm

As a Marylander, I will not stand for this needless slander of my home state! . . . but TBH, we do look kind of like a pipe wrench or one of those old-school punch-type can openers.
Last edited by Brettenwald on Thu May 14, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRETTENWALD
Factbook completion will occur when hell freezes over and this nation is basically what happens at 3 AM when I overdose on Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Game of Thrones. Trans rights or you're getting kneecapped.
Center-right largely-absolute monarchy populated by the majority-pagan descendants of a mix of Vikings, Iron Age German rednecks and the odd shipwreck survivor coming into its own on the world stage during the final stages of a 32-year watershed moment under the watchful eye of an emperor who was never supposed to be one. Strict MT, current year though lore posts are generally asynchronous. Brettain is a catchall demonym, flag waifu by Polish Prussian Commonwealth, NS stats not canon.

Kedri
Ambassador

Founded: May 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kedri » Thu May 14, 2020 6:50 pm

Auze wrote:Idea: rename South Carolina to the “Imperium of True Carolina”, and annex all of the Northern US into the Delawarean Empire. Annex Canada, along with preferably the rest of the Anglosphere.
Senkaku wrote:a unitary state, obviously

Society has passed the need for a unitary state. End all of them larger than Monaco.

As a South Carolinian, I'd be all for us being renamed to "True Carolina."
Kedri is a nation of 18th century pirates who know water-bending. Throw in some steampunk, as well. Tech level is PT/FanT.
Kedrians abandon piracy and become a modernized country, founded by reformed criminals who forsook piracy and the citizens are descended from pirates, and still retain some of their heritage such as speech, accent, politics.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Thu May 14, 2020 7:17 pm

West Virginia and Virginia should be merged, but keep the name as West Virginia.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Green October Z
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Thu May 14, 2020 8:42 pm

Necroghastia wrote:West Virginia and Virginia should be merged, but keep the name as West Virginia.

No, call it North North Carolina!
Made in America from Vietnamese parts!
History doesn't lie, communism kills!
Alignment: Chaotic Good
China lied, people died!

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Thu May 14, 2020 8:46 pm

Kedri wrote:
Auze wrote:Idea: rename South Carolina to the “Imperium of True Carolina”, and annex all of the Northern US into the Delawarean Empire. Annex Canada, along with preferably the rest of the Anglosphere.

Society has passed the need for a unitary state. End all of them larger than Monaco.

Yeah, but if you do that the North is going to change it's name to "I'm with Stupid"
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Thu May 14, 2020 9:13 pm

Necroghastia wrote:West Virginia and Virginia should be merged, but keep the name as West Virginia.

This.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Thu May 14, 2020 9:16 pm

Almost heaven
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Thu May 14, 2020 9:21 pm

-Astoria wrote:

This.

What the fuck?
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Thu May 14, 2020 9:22 pm

Kedri wrote:

your flag would still be ugly tho no cap
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu May 14, 2020 9:24 pm

Auze wrote:
Senkaku wrote:a unitary state, obviously

I won't rest till there is only one unitary state
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

-Astoria
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Thu May 14, 2020 9:29 pm

Atheris wrote:What the fuck?

Yes?

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Thu May 14, 2020 9:35 pm

-Astoria wrote:
Atheris wrote:What the fuck?

Yes?

First off: West Virginia doesn't even exist. It's not even a real geographic location. It's just there to give the Virginians who wanted to be northerners the illusion that they were given choice.

Second off: You can have Virginia when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. And even then, good luck, because I will have glued it to my cold, dead hands.
#FreeNSGRojava

-Astoria
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Thu May 14, 2020 10:00 pm

Atheris wrote:Second off: You can have Virginia when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. And even then, good luck, because I will have glued it to my cold, dead hands.

There's this marvellous operation called "amputation".

Also, what's Virginia?

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Thu May 14, 2020 11:03 pm

Franklin gets to be a state again and gets cut out of East Tennessee and western NC.

Northern Florida and the panhandle can be their own state, easily. Everybody I’ve met from that region is pretty unique. They can uphold their traditions of gator wrassling, swamp living, and Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Thu May 14, 2020 11:05 pm

Krasny-Volny wrote:Franklin gets to be a state again and gets cut out of East Tennessee and western NC.

Northern Florida and the panhandle can be their own state, easily. Everybody I’ve met from that region is pretty unique. They can uphold their traditions of gator wrassling, swamp living, and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Ahh. Good old Lienard Skynard.
#FreeNSGRojava

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Thu May 14, 2020 11:45 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:

You want to give the land making up the US, which is populated by about 327 million people, exclusively to just 4.5 million of that total amount?

What happens to the other 323.5 million?
Ultimately, live in the region that was formerly Jamestown as well as the remaining coasts.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Thu May 14, 2020 11:47 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:You want to give the land making up the US, which is populated by about 327 million people, exclusively to just 4.5 million of that total amount?

What happens to the other 323.5 million?
Ultimately, live in the region that was formerly Jamestown as well as the remaining coasts.

...Right. Because the East Coast can support 323.5 million people. In other gifs:

Last edited by Atheris on Thu May 14, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#FreeNSGRojava

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri May 15, 2020 12:59 am

Atheris wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Ultimately, live in the region that was formerly Jamestown as well as the remaining coasts.

...Right. Because the East Coast can support 323.5 million people. In other gifs:

I don't think it's impossible, just difficult.
Last edited by Sundiata on Fri May 15, 2020 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Fri May 15, 2020 2:05 am

Sundiata wrote:
Atheris wrote:...Right. Because the East Coast can support 323.5 million people. In other gifs:

I don't think it's impossible, just difficult.

Extremely difficult to contemplate, very impossible to implement, and also very unethical*.

It is quite honestly a terrible idea.

*The US was extremely unethical and still is to some extent against the Amerindian nations, but this is most definitely not the ideal way to help the survivors.
**Was this suggestion made in jest?
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Fri May 15, 2020 2:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri May 15, 2020 2:14 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Sundiata wrote:I don't think it's impossible, just difficult.

Extremely difficult to contemplate, very impossible to implement, and also very unethical*.

*The US was extremely unethical and still is to some extent against the Amerindian nations, but this is most definitely not the ideal way to help the survivors.

I don't think it's a terrible idea, just extremely difficult to accomplish all things considered. This suggestion was half-hearted, yes.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri May 15, 2020 4:11 am

Atheris wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Ultimately, live in the region that was formerly Jamestown as well as the remaining coasts.

Dull emoting like this makes me actually miss memes.

Sundiata wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:Extremely difficult to contemplate, very impossible to implement, and also very unethical*.

I don't think it's a terrible idea, just extremely difficult to accomplish all things considered. This suggestion was half-hearted, yes.

Terrible idea, trust me. Sending everyone back to Europe would be a terrible idea, this is no better.

Maybe it's actually worse. Like the settlement at Jamestown was just fine, the millions of Native Americans who didn't even know about it, would surely have been OK with it.

I'm an Australian. I have no better conscience than any American should have, I too live on stolen land. Much like Americans, we were guests who refused to leave, we were shysters who tricked the natives out of their land (Aborigines thought they were trading away right of passage or a share of the game, but what they were signing was a right of title in most cases). In NSW where we started, we took for individuals or the Crown, all the good land. Aborigines with their culture completely intertwined with land just did their best with what we left for them, and they starved. Disease played a part, as it did there, and in both cases I find it tragic that racial relations had gotten so bad that Aborigines/Indians couldn't come to us for help. Maybe we wouldn't have kept on destroying their scant sources of water with our cattle and sheep, of course making disease worse, but I think we'd have done something.

Yet with all that, our crime was mostly a crime of negligence. Theft of land, yes, but to an 18th century Anglo-Saxon, land was worth only what you made of it. This land with no fences, no crops, no livestock (actually Aborigines had crops and livestock, just not as the white man recognizes them) looked like unused land. The white man just didn't know how precious it was to the Aborigine, or how vital to the Aborigine's survival and spirituality. Yes we should have known, at some level we probably did. But on the dotted line it says the name of the guy who owns it now. And that smudge on the bottom, that's the thumb print of the guy who owned it before.

Ownership is a much finer line than most people realize. If you've ever been burgled you'll know what I mean. There's a cop in your living room, noting things down and shaking her head about those damn burglars. But your stuff is gone and you know it. Well imagine if the cop isn't even on your side. The cop's in your living room saying "I don't believe you ever had that stuff, can you show receipts? You know I can do you for wasting police time, right?" and we have the situation of the American Indian or the Aborigine. Their land wasn't technically stolen, it was taken from them by crooks with the law on their side.

Now it must be said that the European infestation of Australia (a land with almost exactly the same area as the contiguous US States) never covered the whole continent. There were fewer Europeans to start with (the US had simply enormous early immigration) and there is less arable land. Oddly to some, it wasn't snakes and spiders that slowed Europeans trying to settle inland, it was just a lack of water. And mercifully, the English did not take full advantage of their sea power to establish settlements all around the coast.

In a cultural sense, I'm not sure Aborigines have survived any better than Native Americans have. Aborigines lived in hundreds of different "tribes" distinguished by language and marriage rules, which isn't so different to the Native Americans. But interactions between those tribes were far more peaceful in Australia, they did dispute with each other and sometimes give up land or hunting rights, but they didn't respond to enemies armed with guns the way the American natives did. Which was to fight back. I guess I'm saying the American Indians can look back and think "at least we fought for our land, even if we did lose terribly". But the modern Aborigine looks back and can only reproach themself "we were cheated out of our land". Which isn't to say they never fought, some did, or to say they were never slaughtered (some were, particularly in Tasmania).

On the bright side, Aborigines have theoretical ownership of all of Australia, apart from those areas which were "bought". This is where crimes of negligence aren't really so bad. There are large areas (particularly in West Australia) that no private entity ever claimed (and were granted title to), or were provisionally claimed by government. It turns out, by High Court ruling, that government claims like making a National Park do not "extinguish native title" on that land. Furthermore a lot of grazing land is leased from a state government, and because a lease is not permanent that also does not extinguish native title.

The image I want to post is too big for the forum

I chose that from among the options here

The dark green is full native title. Aborigines living there own the land. The light green is land the Aborigines living there have claim to, they're entitled to a share of mining royalties for instance.

Now think about how much Federal land there is, particularly in the West. It is entirely within the power of Congress and the President to grant any of that land to the Native Americans. Some of it to outright own (they can order other people off it), and maybe some of it a share (they could demand partnership in grazing or mining, or take royalties)

OR. The US Supreme Court to rule something to the same effect as Native Title here in Australia. Any land not outright owned by someone, can be claimed by Native Americans who show a connection to that land.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Fri May 15, 2020 1:49 pm

Any state which has to distinguish itself from another by putting "North" or "South" or other cardinal direction in front of their name should either be renamed or destroyed.

Except West Virginia. We like you. You can stay.
The Treangolist Revival of La Paz de Los Ricos
I survived the April 2024 NS outage! Also on a t-shirt! | Reworking national information. | The Navaluege Language (WIP)
CURRENT PROJECT . . .
The Tale These Islands Tell [PRIVATE|CLOSED] — [Chapter II - 02 April 2024]
A curmudgeonly Canadian reluctantly aids an aging Ricano legend in reviving the nation's history.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri May 15, 2020 2:03 pm

La Paz de Los Ricos wrote:Any state which has to distinguish itself from another by putting "North" or "South" or other cardinal direction in front of their name should either be renamed or destroyed.

West Virginia is unambiguously the worst of those states, tho
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Fri May 15, 2020 2:06 pm

La Paz de Los Ricos wrote:Any state which has to distinguish itself from another by putting "North" or "South" or other cardinal direction in front of their name should either be renamed or destroyed.

West Virginia is Fake Virginia.
#FreeNSGRojava

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Fri May 15, 2020 2:08 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

West Virginia is unambiguously the worst of those states, tho

Atheris wrote:

West Virginia is Fake Virginia.

B-but the Blue Ridge Mountains... Shenandoah River...
The Treangolist Revival of La Paz de Los Ricos
I survived the April 2024 NS outage! Also on a t-shirt! | Reworking national information. | The Navaluege Language (WIP)
CURRENT PROJECT . . .
The Tale These Islands Tell [PRIVATE|CLOSED] — [Chapter II - 02 April 2024]
A curmudgeonly Canadian reluctantly aids an aging Ricano legend in reviving the nation's history.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General