NATION

PASSWORD

On Abuse and Violence

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

South Acren
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby South Acren » Sun May 10, 2020 10:23 pm

Being what one could call "stereotypical emotionless male", if such thing exists, I do believe Females can get away with it much more then males, In fact, its less reported due to the fact guys are told to "Suck it up" and "Its part of being a man" when in reality its just as wrong as physical abuse. I can tell you, Noone should "Suck it up" or just "Deal with it" It tears you up inside and can turn people into what people say, an emotionless robot. I have seen a woman actually beat her partner to hell, only to get a small fine. So yes, I do believe this is an Issue and its swept under the carpet by those who think its not a problem. It is, and it needs to stop. You can't have people thinking that emotional or physical abuse is just "Part of growing up"
"Gott Mit Uns!"
.....begin transmission

Be not afraid. We now acknowledge your existence. You are now under protection of The Eternal Empire. We will guard you with our lives forevermore. Pray you never give us a reason to revoke it.
Imperium Aeterna, Empire Eternal

Green October Z
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Mon May 11, 2020 7:57 am

South Acren wrote:Being what one could call "stereotypical emotionless male", if such thing exists, I do believe Females can get away with it much more then males, In fact, its less reported due to the fact guys are told to "Suck it up" and "Its part of being a man" when in reality its just as wrong as physical abuse. I can tell you, Noone should "Suck it up" or just "Deal with it" It tears you up inside and can turn people into what people say, an emotionless robot. I have seen a woman actually beat her partner to hell, only to get a small fine. So yes, I do believe this is an Issue and its swept under the carpet by those who think its not a problem. It is, and it needs to stop. You can't have people thinking that emotional or physical abuse is just "Part of growing up"

My thoughts exactly!
Made in America from Vietnamese parts!
History doesn't lie, communism kills!
Alignment: Chaotic Good
China lied, people died!

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Mon May 11, 2020 8:37 am

All in all, I think that our society as a whole is very chaotic and out of touch with the way things are under perfect conditions. It's not going to be an easy road to go down but making our lives more perfect is going to take adherence to good law and good order.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Mon May 11, 2020 8:41 am

Sundiata wrote:All in all, I think that our society as a whole is very chaotic and out of touch with the way things are under perfect conditions. It's not going to be an easy road to go down but making our lives more perfect is going to take adherence to good law and good order.

What?
China lied, people died!

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Mon May 11, 2020 8:48 am

Green October Z wrote:
Sundiata wrote:All in all, I think that our society as a whole is very chaotic and out of touch with the way things are under perfect conditions. It's not going to be an easy road to go down but making our lives more perfect is going to take adherence to good law and good order.

What?

With respect to abuse we have to enforce the law equally.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Mon May 11, 2020 8:54 am

Sundiata wrote:
Green October Z wrote:
What?

With respect to abuse we have to enforce the law equally.

Yes, but we also have to fix society's perceptions of it.
Last edited by Green October Z on Mon May 11, 2020 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
China lied, people died!

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Mon May 11, 2020 8:57 am

Green October Z wrote:
Sundiata wrote:With respect to abuse we have to enforce the law equally.

That's true, there has to be order.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Thu May 14, 2020 12:12 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Green October Z wrote:

That's true, there has to be order.

Okay...
China lied, people died!

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu May 14, 2020 12:25 pm

What I would do is stay the hell out of someone else's life. That's what you are supposed to do if you aren't a nosy meddler.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Thu May 14, 2020 12:26 pm

Purpelia wrote:What I would do is stay the hell out of someone else's life. That's what you are supposed to do if you aren't a nosy meddler.

We are talking about abuse here. Not the NSA :p
China lied, people died!

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Thu May 14, 2020 1:03 pm

Emotional abuse certainly exists in relationships, guys and gals can both be guilty of it. I've been on the receiving end of it in a relationship, and while it is a terrible experience that has impacted me in some facets, I can't imagine the horrors of experiencing domestic abuse and violence. Anyone who would engage in that sort of behavior is disgusting, and I think my country needs to work more towards combatting it.

Bromagia
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Bromagia » Thu May 14, 2020 1:16 pm

Since I carry a gun much of the time, I'm not inclined to involve myself in a couple's dispute beyond placing a phone call to the police unless someone is in immediate danger of death or serious injury. This applies without regard to the sex involved.
I'm finished with this forum and the constant goddamn groupthink, virtue signalling, and woke scolding. I thank Max for the good times I've spent here but I just don't fit anymore. Peace.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Thu May 14, 2020 1:24 pm

Bromagia wrote:Since I carry a gun much of the time, I'm not inclined to involve myself in a couple's dispute beyond placing a phone call to the police unless someone is in immediate danger of death or serious injury. This applies without regard to the sex involved.

We are not talking about that here :\
China lied, people died!

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Thu May 14, 2020 1:27 pm

You can't be the victim of domestic abuse if you're never in a relationship. (roll_safe.gif)
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Thu May 14, 2020 1:34 pm

To quote Isaac Asimov:
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

We, the society should educate our children and adults in better emotion regulation and open communication.
If you say stop, you should mean it. (Unless in a rpg session but then you have a safe word)

Anger, sadness, frustration, fear are not bad. Nor good. They are just feelings. And if you accept that, you can choose how to respond to those feelings.
No suppression needed. You are not your feelings. They will pass.

Abuse and violence are failing to deal with your feelings in a constructive way. And anyone who cannot channel their feelings properly, should be taught. Repeat offenders should be incarcerated.

Bromagia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bromagia » Thu May 14, 2020 1:34 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Bromagia wrote:Since I carry a gun much of the time, I'm not inclined to involve myself in a couple's dispute beyond placing a phone call to the police unless someone is in immediate danger of death or serious injury. This applies without regard to the sex involved.

We are not talking about that here :\

Violence and abuse are bad regardless of who is being abusive. I'm not getting involved beyond calling the police. Double standards do exist and are dumb.

As for my original post: I was roughly responding to the scenario presented in the OP. You see someone being abused, etc.
I'm finished with this forum and the constant goddamn groupthink, virtue signalling, and woke scolding. I thank Max for the good times I've spent here but I just don't fit anymore. Peace.

Bromagia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bromagia » Thu May 14, 2020 1:42 pm

Thepeopl wrote:To quote Isaac Asimov:
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

We, the society should educate our children and adults in better emotion regulation and open communication.
If you say stop, you should mean it. (Unless in a rpg session but then you have a safe word)

Anger, sadness, frustration, fear are not bad. Nor good. They are just feelings. And if you accept that, you can choose how to respond to those feelings.

Abuse and violence are failing to deal with your feelings in a constructive way. And anyone who cannot channel their feelings properly, should be taught. Repeat offenders should be incarcerated.

Much as I like Asimov, that quote is overly simplistic and trite. Many situations exist where the only reasonable solution is violence.

Come to think of it, Asimov didn't say that, did he? It was a character, Hober Mallow I think, in Foundation who said that.

Thepeopl
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Thu May 14, 2020 1:56 pm

Bromagia wrote:
Thepeopl wrote:To quote Isaac Asimov:

Much as I like Asimov, that quote is overly simplistic and trite. Many situations exist where the only reasonable solution is violence.

Come to think of it, Asimov didn't say that, did he? It was a character, Hober Mallow I think, in Foundation who said that.

Could you name some situations in a relationship where violence is the only reasonable solution?

Bromagia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bromagia » Thu May 14, 2020 1:59 pm

Thepeopl wrote:
Bromagia wrote:Much as I like Asimov, that quote is overly simplistic and trite. Many situations exist where the only reasonable solution is violence.

Could you name some situations in a relationship where violence is the only reasonable solution?

I was beefing with the quote. The quote doesn't reference relationships.

Thepeopl
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Thu May 14, 2020 2:14 pm

Bromagia wrote:
Thepeopl wrote:Could you name some situations in a relationship where violence is the only reasonable solution?

I was beefing with the quote. The quote doesn't reference relationships.

But I did.
Biologists and psychologists differentiate between aggression and violence

https://www.goodtherapy.org/learn-about ... n-violence

Violence is intentionally destructive, aggression can be destructive but most of the time isn't

Bromagia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Bromagia » Thu May 14, 2020 2:17 pm

Thepeopl wrote:
Bromagia wrote:I was beefing with the quote. The quote doesn't reference relationships.

But I did.
Biologists and psychologists differentiate between aggression and violence

https://www.goodtherapy.org/learn-about ... n-violence

Violence is intentionally destructive, aggression can be destructive but most of the time isn't

If it satisfies you, one perfectly appropriate use of violence in a relationship is to prevent violence against oneself.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu May 14, 2020 4:35 pm

Thepeopl wrote:
Bromagia wrote:Much as I like Asimov, that quote is overly simplistic and trite. Many situations exist where the only reasonable solution is violence.

When my spouse pulls a .45 smokeless from under the bed
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Thu May 14, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Thepeopl
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Fri May 15, 2020 4:47 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Thepeopl wrote:Could you name some situations in a relationship where violence is the only reasonable solution?

When my spouse pulls a .45 smokeless from under the bed

But, but, that's foreplay...

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri May 15, 2020 7:24 am

Thepeopl wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:When my spouse pulls a .45 smokeless from under the bed

But, but, that's foreplay...

But, I said the safe word, Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen, but mrs mermania doesn't speak german.

<==== cries
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri May 15, 2020 8:12 am

I was thinking about double-standards after a post in a group I moderate, in which a woman posted that her boyfriend has panic attacks and she gets mad at him for that and that makes his panic attacks even worse. To her credit, she knew she was wrong for responding to her boyfriend's anxiety with anger, and she wanted advice on how to stop, but of course many people were disgusted by her post and it caused some conflict. Others were very tolerant though, and the thought crossed my mind that if it were a man who admits to getting angry at his girlfriend for having panic attacks, he would probably have been unanimously condemned and called an abuser.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General