NATION

PASSWORD

Measure of a Man

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat May 09, 2020 12:05 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
US-SSR wrote:In the interests of equal time, the measure of a man per Rudy Ray Moore:

He was born in a barrel of butcher knives
Shot in the ass with two Colt .45s
He's been slapped by a bear and bit by an eel
He chews up railroad iron and shits out steel
He jumped in the ocean and swallowed a whale
Handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail

([url=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0e/Rudy_Ray_Moore.jpg/220px-Rudy_Ray_Moore.jpg]Image)[/url]

I would've said Teddy Roosevelt.

Please, if anything, a Tru man would use nuclear bombs as a part of warfare.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat May 09, 2020 12:43 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Geneviev wrote:That's true, but the different interpretations are relatively similar to each other by being based on the same book. Atheism doesn't have that similarity.

Not in my experience. I was raised Christian and went to multiple different churches which all seemed to have pretty different outlooks.

Pretty different, yes. But they all have certain similarities. In this case specifically, they would all believe in differences between men and women.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Green October Z
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 09, 2020 12:44 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Green October Z wrote:
Not in my experience. I was raised Christian and went to multiple different churches which all seemed to have pretty different outlooks.

Pretty different, yes. But they all have certain similarities. In this case specifically, they would all believe in differences between men and women.

One haven't been to some of the churches I have been to :p
Made in America from Vietnamese parts!
History doesn't lie, communism kills!
Alignment: Chaotic Good
China lied, people died!

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat May 09, 2020 12:45 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Pretty different, yes. But they all have certain similarities. In this case specifically, they would all believe in differences between men and women.

At least that's what is written in the Bible.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 09, 2020 12:47 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Green October Z wrote:

At least that's what is written in the Bible.

Once again, different churches have different interpretations.
China lied, people died!

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat May 09, 2020 12:54 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Geneviev wrote:At least that's what is written in the Bible.

Their interpretations should theoretically all be similar to what is in the Bible. Otherwise, I don't know how Christian they are.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 09, 2020 12:57 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Green October Z wrote:

Their interpretations should theoretically all be similar to what is in the Bible. Otherwise, I don't know how Christian they are.

That never gets old :p
China lied, people died!

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat May 09, 2020 1:02 pm

Green October Z wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Their interpretations should theoretically all be similar to what is in the Bible. Otherwise, I don't know how Christian they are.

That never gets old :p

It's about 2000 years old, by my estimate. :p

That's because the Bible is part of Christianity, and ignoring it isn't very Christian. But people have been doing that for a while anyway.
Last edited by Geneviev on Sat May 09, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sat May 09, 2020 1:21 pm

Being a decent person. You can be super macho and domineering, but if your acting like a total scumbag your not "a real man" imo.
Last edited by Andsed on Sat May 09, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Antityranicals
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Sat May 09, 2020 1:27 pm

I believe that manliness is best expressed in the ideal of chivalry. Chivalry is a combination of the seemingly contradictory qualities of fierceness and gentleness. The chivalrous man is evil's worst nightmare, and good's best friend.
Compass: Right: 9.94, Libertarian: -5.84
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Sat May 09, 2020 1:39 pm

Antityranicals wrote:I believe that manliness is best expressed in the ideal of chivalry. Chivalry is a combination of the seemingly contradictory qualities of fierceness and gentleness. The chivalrous man is evil's worst nightmare, and good's best friend.

"Chivalry" is just a guy on a horse.
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Sat May 09, 2020 1:41 pm

Eahland wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:I believe that manliness is best expressed in the ideal of chivalry. Chivalry is a combination of the seemingly contradictory qualities of fierceness and gentleness. The chivalrous man is evil's worst nightmare, and good's best friend.

Nah. That's a knight. Sure, knights were supposed to be chivalrous, but that's like saying that toughness is just a panzer tank
Catholic Libertarian. Gov't has no authority, all authority is from God. God grants us free will, gov't should not infringe upon it. Legislating morality is wrong. Only exception is protecting rights to life, liberty, and property. Abortion is killing an infant, one of the few things gov't should prevent. Pro-Trump, he's been an effective weapon against real enemies of freedom: The Left, but I wish he were more for free trade, more against deficits. Unrestrained capitalism is a great thing; it does wonders for standards of living of everyone, especially the poor.
HS student in the USA. Male. XC runner, 17:30 5k, 4:59 mile. I enjoy singing, sushi, eating large quantities of food, and eating large quantities of sushi.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat May 09, 2020 1:44 pm

CHIVALRY?

B Y

T H E

L A D Y

Eahland wrote:

*intense Bretonnian Noises*
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Sat May 09, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

The Sladerstan
Envoy

Founded: Jan 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sladerstan » Sat May 09, 2020 3:03 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
So basically "catholicism is right, protestants are wrong."

Not just that, the ideas which led there eventually lead to atheism.

What ideas are those? I mean, maybe Liberal Protestantism leads to it, but not Protestantism as a whole.

Antityranicals
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Antityranicals » Sat May 09, 2020 3:20 pm

The Sladerstan wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Not just that, the ideas which led there eventually lead to atheism.

What ideas are those? I mean, maybe Liberal Protestantism leads to it, but not Protestantism as a whole.

Well, I think that the "reformation" bit of the Protestant Reformation has always been a bit overblown. Really, the main result was the destruction of medieval separation of church and state, which, while quite different than enlightenment separation of church and state, had similar ramifications. Before the Protestant Reformation, the church and the state were rivals. Neither was definitely more powerful than the other, and this rivalry left a degree of freedom to those in between. However, after the Protestant Reformation, the conclusion "the religion of the prince is the religion of the people." made the church subservient to the state.

From here, much of the enlightenment conflicted the tyranny of the prince with the hapless church. Now, I am of the opinion that the church shouldn't have been so willing to play toadie to the state. I think it would have been better had it condemned the powers attempting to use it for their own gains. But I can understand why church leaders of the 16th-18th centuries didn't do this, because the result would have been an underground church the likes of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd century Rome. But nonetheless, much of Atheistic thought can be traced back to this disasterous result of the Protestant Reformation.

Anyway, I don't want to threadjack. If you're interested, I wonder if this would be an interesting subject to talk about over in the CDT.
Last edited by Antityranicals on Sat May 09, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 09, 2020 3:45 pm

Very well said, I'd say.
China lied, people died!

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sun May 10, 2020 8:40 am

Sundiata wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
So basically "catholicism is right, protestants are wrong."

Not just that, the ideas which led there eventually lead to atheism.

What?

Protestantism didn't lead to atheism. Atheism has existed for millennia before Protestantism. (As seen on the Wikipedia page for Atheism: "...ideas that would be recognized today as atheistic are documented from the Vedic period and the classical antiquity."

The Vedic period is from 600 BCE. Classical Antiquity is between 8 BC and 6 AD. Western-style atheism actually came from pre-Socratic Greek philosophy, especially from the theories of Democritus and Protagoras, who wrote "the gods of popular belief do not exist nor do they know, but primitive man, [out of admiration, deified] the fruits of the earth and virtually everything that contributed to his existence." Especially important and noteworthy is Epicurus, who founded the school of Epucureanism and helped lead the way for scientific determinism.

Protestantism and reformed Christianity first came into being after 1517, after Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the door of the church. If you didn't know, 1517 is in the 16th century, but 6 AD is in the 1st century.

Read a book besides the Bible, please.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Eahland
Senator

Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Sun May 10, 2020 9:30 am

Antityranicals wrote:
Eahland wrote:"Chivalry" is just a guy on a horse.

Nah. That's a knight. Sure, knights were supposed to be chivalrous, but that's like saying that toughness is just a panzer tank

"Knight" is actually the only word for the concept that I know of that doesn't mean "a guy on a horse".

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun May 10, 2020 9:34 am

Eahland wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:Nah. That's a knight. Sure, knights were supposed to be chivalrous, but that's like saying that toughness is just a panzer tank

"Knight" is actually the only word for the concept that I know of that doesn't mean "a guy on a horse".

I thought a knight by definition was a mounted soldier ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sun May 10, 2020 9:39 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Eahland wrote:"Knight" is actually the only word for the concept that I know of that doesn't mean "a guy on a horse".

Knights now belong to the class of nobility and honor.Chivalry also represents a spirit of nobility ,Now it is used as a reference to a noble character.
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Eahland
Senator

Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Sun May 10, 2020 9:45 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Eahland wrote:"Knight" is actually the only word for the concept that I know of that doesn't mean "a guy on a horse".

Chivalry, cavalier, cavalry, chevalier, cabellero, Ritter, equestrian... are all literally "horseman" or "rider". "Knight" comes from Old English cniht, which is literally "boy-child" or "serving-boy".

Dreisburg
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 08, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Dreisburg » Sun May 10, 2020 9:48 am

A true man is not a woman!
Ministry of man of Dreisburg

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sun May 10, 2020 9:50 am

Atheris wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Not just that, the ideas which led there eventually lead to atheism.

What?

Protestantism didn't lead to atheism. Atheism has existed for millennia before Protestantism. (As seen on the Wikipedia page for Atheism: "...ideas that would be recognized today as atheistic are documented from the Vedic period and the classical antiquity."

The Vedic period is from 600 BCE. Classical Antiquity is between 8 BC and 6 AD. Western-style atheism actually came from pre-Socratic Greek philosophy, especially from the theories of Democritus and Protagoras, who wrote "the gods of popular belief do not exist nor do they know, but primitive man, [out of admiration, deified] the fruits of the earth and virtually everything that contributed to his existence." Especially important and noteworthy is Epicurus, who founded the school of Epucureanism and helped lead the way for scientific determinism.

Protestantism and reformed Christianity first came into being after 1517, after Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the door of the church. If you didn't know, 1517 is in the 16th century, but 6 AD is in the 1st century.

Read a book besides the Bible, please.

The misconception we're having here is not that the idea that atheism has a long history. What I'm suggesting is that the ideas which lead to widespread protestantism inevitably generate widespread modernism, it's widespread modernism that ultimately culminates in widespread atheism. The further away one veers from Catholic doctrine, the closer one is to atheism.
Last edited by Sundiata on Sun May 10, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sun May 10, 2020 9:52 am

Eahland wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:I thought a knight by definition was a mounted soldier ?

Chivalry, cavalier, cavalry, chevalier, cabellero, Ritter, equestrian... are all literally "horseman" or "rider". "Knight" comes from Old English cniht, which is literally "boy-child" or "serving-boy".

There are some differences between it and cniht.
origin
Old English cniht ‘boy, youth, servant’, of West Germanic origin; related to Dutch knecht and German Knecht .
From Oxford
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sun May 10, 2020 10:06 am

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:
Eahland wrote:Chivalry, cavalier, cavalry, chevalier, cabellero, Ritter, equestrian... are all literally "horseman" or "rider". "Knight" comes from Old English cniht, which is literally "boy-child" or "serving-boy".

There are some differences between it and cniht.
origin
Old English cniht ‘boy, youth, servant’, of West Germanic origin; related to Dutch knecht and German Knecht .
From Oxford

Fun fact: Girl originally just meant child (regardless of sex).
China lied, people died!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General