NATION

PASSWORD

Measure of a Man

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat May 09, 2020 7:05 am

Sundiata wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
So basically "catholicism is right, protestants are wrong."

Not just that, the ideas which led there eventually lead to atheism.

I'm not sure about that. Catholicism is pretty good at making atheists.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat May 09, 2020 7:14 am

Geneviev wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Not just that, the ideas which led there eventually lead to atheism.

Heresy is so prevalent today that people often skip to atheism, yes.
Last edited by Sundiata on Sat May 09, 2020 7:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat May 09, 2020 7:20 am

Sundiata wrote:
Geneviev wrote:I'm not sure about that. Catholicism is pretty good at making atheists.

Heresy is so prevalent today that people often skip to atheism, yes.

I guess you can see it that way. The heresy is in the Church too.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Green October Z
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 09, 2020 7:53 am

How did a thread about masculinity turn into a discussion about protestantism vs catholicism vs atheism?
Made in America from Vietnamese parts!
History doesn't lie, communism kills!
Alignment: Chaotic Good
China lied, people died!

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 09, 2020 7:53 am

Green October Z wrote:How did a thread about masculinity turn into a discussion about protestantism vs catholicism vs atheism?

I guess Christians think they're the most manly men. That's aight I guess. Let them talk. Everybody gangsta till the dodge ram with the 666 license plate and the Melvins playing on repeat drives up on them.
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Sat May 09, 2020 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat May 09, 2020 8:00 am

Green October Z wrote:How did a thread about masculinity turn into a discussion about protestantism vs catholicism vs atheism?

Because the three of them have different opinions on masculinity.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 09, 2020 8:10 am

Geneviev wrote:

Because the three of them have different opinions on masculinity.

Atheism has teachings on masculinity?
China lied, people died!

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat May 09, 2020 8:11 am

Green October Z wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Because the three of them have different opinions on masculinity.

Not necessarily, but most atheists have different opinions on it than any Christian denomination.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sat May 09, 2020 8:12 am

US-SSR wrote:In the interests of equal time, the measure of a man per Rudy Ray Moore:

He was born in a barrel of butcher knives
Shot in the ass with two Colt .45s
He's been slapped by a bear and bit by an eel
He chews up railroad iron and shits out steel
He jumped in the ocean and swallowed a whale
Handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail

([url=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0e/Rudy_Ray_Moore.jpg/220px-Rudy_Ray_Moore.jpg]Image)[/url]

I would've said Teddy Roosevelt.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 09, 2020 8:23 am

Geneviev wrote:
Green October Z wrote:

Not necessarily, but most atheists have different opinions on it than any Christian denomination.

Do you have any statistics to back that up?
China lied, people died!

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 09, 2020 8:30 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
US-SSR wrote:In the interests of equal time, the measure of a man per Rudy Ray Moore:

He was born in a barrel of butcher knives
Shot in the ass with two Colt .45s
He's been slapped by a bear and bit by an eel
He chews up railroad iron and shits out steel
He jumped in the ocean and swallowed a whale
Handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail

([url=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0e/Rudy_Ray_Moore.jpg/220px-Rudy_Ray_Moore.jpg]Image)[/url]

I would've said Teddy Roosevelt.

I was thinking George Patton.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sat May 09, 2020 8:39 am

We should probably be thankful it isn't all dick jokes.
Everything is intertwinkled

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sat May 09, 2020 8:40 am

Sundiata wrote:Well, I ultimately think it means living the seven lively virtues: chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience, kindness, and humility. If a man lives in such a way and works to overcome sin, he effectively can be referred to as a good man.

You've said nothing man specific, here.
In Genesis, at the punishment of Adam and Eve, the lord defines gender roles clearly.
God wrote:And to Adam he said: Because thou hast hearkened to the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldst not eat, cursed is the earth in thy work; with labour and toil shalt thou eat thereof all the days of thy life. [18] Thorns and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herbs of the earth. [19] In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread till thou return to the earth, out of which thou wast taken: for dust thou art, and into dust thou shalt return.

Work and hardship, and overcoming hardship, are defining. Also mortality and, in the context of the verse, headship over the family and responsibility.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 09, 2020 8:43 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:

We should probably be thankful it isn't all dick jokes.

There were a couple a few pages back :p
China lied, people died!

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat May 09, 2020 8:45 am

Green October Z wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Not necessarily, but most atheists have different opinions on it than any Christian denomination.

It's just an observation that I have made. No, I don't know of statistics to back it up. The reason I say it, though, is that the Christian perspective on masculinity is based on the Bible and atheists don't use it, so Christians usually are more traditional.

Inner Firatrundessia
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Inner Firatrundessia » Sat May 09, 2020 8:52 am

I agree to an extent. While there are biological different between males and females, both are subject to stereotypical and harmful gender roles. Toxic masculinity can hurt and a lot of men can suffer from not being the 'ideal' man.

This is why some radical feminists push to abolish gender. I'm not one of those people, I understand that gender roles are opressive but they are necessary on some level in order to understand the framework for our society and how patriarchy functions. And more people need to realize that you can point out biological differences in men and womyn while at the same time recognizing that not everyone will fit the 'ideal' mold that patriarchy often forces us into.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 09, 2020 8:53 am

Geneviev wrote:
Green October Z wrote:

It's just an observation that I have made. No, I don't know of statistics to back it up. The reason I say it, though, is that the Christian perspective on masculinity is based on the Bible and atheists don't use it, so Christians usually are more traditional.

Anecdote=no data
China lied, people died!

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat May 09, 2020 9:04 am

Green October Z wrote:
Geneviev wrote:It's just an observation that I have made. No, I don't know of statistics to back it up. The reason I say it, though, is that the Christian perspective on masculinity is based on the Bible and atheists don't use it, so Christians usually are more traditional.

Anecdote=no data

Right. But I'm sure you agree that Christians are more likely to have beliefs based on the Bible.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 09, 2020 9:05 am

Geneviev wrote:
Green October Z wrote:
Anecdote=no data

Right. But I'm sure you agree that Christians are more likely to have beliefs based on the Bible.

Yes, but there are many different interpretations of it.
China lied, people died!

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat May 09, 2020 9:10 am

Geneviev wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Not just that, the ideas which led there eventually lead to atheism.

Used to be a catholic can confirm.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Sat May 09, 2020 10:45 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Shamhnan Insir wrote:The measure of a man is how swiftly he will lie himself or his fine jacket across a puddle or source of other filth in order for a lady to cross it without dirtying her shoes or getting wet feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X18s_8gKd8

Hello M'Lady
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat May 09, 2020 10:47 am

Green October Z wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Right. But I'm sure you agree that Christians are more likely to have beliefs based on the Bible.

That's true, but the different interpretations are relatively similar to each other by being based on the same book. Atheism doesn't have that similarity.

US-SSR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Sat May 09, 2020 10:50 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I would've said Teddy Roosevelt.

I was thinking George Patton.

Not neither. Dolemite.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

US-SSR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Sat May 09, 2020 10:56 am

Sundiata wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
So basically "catholicism is right, protestants are wrong."

Not just that, the ideas which led there eventually lead to atheism.

In fairness to the Church, that's a little old fashioned. As I understand it the Catholic position is that, while other religions may contain elements of truth, only the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church contains all of The Truth without anything of Error; and while it declines to impose limits on God as far as who He will or will not admit into His Heaven, it does assert that anyone who is not a Catholic is in grave peril of going to Hell. It's moved on somewhat, then, from burning Protestants, apostate Jews, etc., etc., at the stake.

Green October Z
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Green October Z » Sat May 09, 2020 11:00 am

Geneviev wrote:
Green October Z wrote:

That's true, but the different interpretations are relatively similar to each other by being based on the same book. Atheism doesn't have that similarity.

Not in my experience. I was raised Christian and went to multiple different churches which all seemed to have pretty different outlooks.
China lied, people died!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General