NATION

PASSWORD

Measure of a Man

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri May 08, 2020 10:06 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:"Manliness is saintliness"... what a way to elevate the male sex to almost godlike levels. By portraying men as saints, it automatically places women as everlasting penitents cowering at the aspect of their heavenly countenance.

The same goes for females, womanliness is also saintliness. However, that should go without saying. Men are the subject of this thread.
Last edited by Sundiata on Fri May 08, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Fri May 08, 2020 10:07 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Dytarma wrote:It doesn't sound scientific, it is scientific since males have a male sex chromosome, thus making them males. Anything else needed to make a man a man is extra. If you were to put two 100% unknown men with in the vastness of space in which they're both alive, how would you determine which one's manlier? And if it sounds smug then so be it. I feel smug in my opinion.

There's a vested interest in maleness seeming more relative than it is. What began as protestantism became modernism (the synthesis of all heresies); and ultimately culminates in atheism. Our virtues will see us through.

Joooooin usssss...

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri May 08, 2020 10:38 pm

Sundiata wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:"Manliness is saintliness"... what a way to elevate the male sex to almost godlike levels. By portraying men as saints, it automatically places women as everlasting penitents cowering at the aspect of their heavenly countenance.

The same goes for females, womanliness is also saintliness.

But only your notion of "womanliness" (and if you repudiate any of this characterisation, I apologise in advance; although they are all highly rightist views of proper female behaviour, and you have talked of highly rightist views since your arrival, including wanting to ban pre-marital sex, divorce and all abortion and believing women need "correcting" -- the leap isn't hard to make)... The smiling, praying, babies-popping-out-every-ten-months, never-swearing, never-drinking, not teaching or preaching or wearing pants, meek and reverent, pure and busy at home, subject to their husbands: meekly placing her hand beneath her lord and husband's foot (in token of which duty, if he please, her hand is ready may it do him ease).

As with your notion of manliness -- it puts everyone in such tight constraining boxes that probably don't suit them.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri May 08, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri May 08, 2020 10:45 pm

Sundiata wrote:

The same goes for females, womanliness is also saintliness. However, that should go without saying. Men are the subject of this thread.

Except your idea of "Womanliness" is them being quiet smiling devout Catholic girls who spend most of their time popping out kids, catering to the whims of their emotionally distant husbands, and taking beatings corrections from their husbands for stepping out of line.
Last edited by New haven america on Fri May 08, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri May 08, 2020 11:20 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Sundiata wrote:The same goes for females, womanliness is also saintliness.

But only your notion of "womanliness" (and if you repudiate any of this characterisation, I apologise in advance; although they are all highly rightist views of proper female behaviour, and you have talked of highly rightist views since your arrival, including wanting to ban pre-marital sex, divorce and all abortion and believing women need "correcting" -- the leap isn't hard to make)... The smiling, praying, babies-popping-out-every-ten-months, never-swearing, never-drinking, not teaching or preaching or wearing pants, meek and reverent, pure and busy at home, subject to their husbands: meekly placing her hand beneath her lord and husband's foot (in token of which duty, if he please, her hand is ready may it do him ease).

As with your notion of manliness -- it puts everyone in such tight constraining boxes that probably don't suit them.

I would like to repudiate this inaccurate characterization.

Catholic Social Teaching is not "rightist," it actually tends to be fairly centrist or apolitical. For evidence of this, I would like to refer you to our numerous teachings on economics and service to the poor. Like men, women are called to community.

Nowhere have I said that women shouldn't drink, teach, wear pants, or work. While men and women are obviously not the same, men and women absolutely should have equal rights and protections under the law.
Last edited by Sundiata on Fri May 08, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri May 08, 2020 11:36 pm

Sundiata wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:But only your notion of "womanliness" (and if you repudiate any of this characterisation, I apologise in advance; although they are all highly rightist views of proper female behaviour, and you have talked of highly rightist views since your arrival, including wanting to ban pre-marital sex, divorce and all abortion and believing women need "correcting" -- the leap isn't hard to make)... The smiling, praying, babies-popping-out-every-ten-months, never-swearing, never-drinking, not teaching or preaching or wearing pants, meek and reverent, pure and busy at home, subject to their husbands: meekly placing her hand beneath her lord and husband's foot (in token of which duty, if he please, her hand is ready may it do him ease).

I would like to repudiate this inaccurate characterization.

Catholic Social Teaching is not "rightist," it actually tends to be fairly centrist or apolitical. For evidence of this, I would like to refer you to our numerous teachings on economics and service to the poor. Like men, women are called to community.

Nowhere have I said that women shouldn't drink, teach, wear pants, or work. While men and women are obviously not the same, men and women absolutely should have equal rights and protections under the law.

On the mischaracterisation on drinking, teaching, wearing pants, I apologise. Working wasn't explicitly mentioned.

I notice you didn't repudiate "popping out babies every ten months", "meek and reverent" or "subject to their husband", (which are considered fairly socially right views -- as are no abortion, no divorce, no premarital sex and that women should be subject to correction, all of which you did say -- one can be socially right and economically left, incidentally)... but I guess that's another story.

Still, bringing it back to the men, it's still archaic to put either gender in boxes when individuals are as unique as snowflakes.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri May 08, 2020 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Shamhnan Insir
Minister

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Shamhnan Insir » Fri May 08, 2020 11:38 pm

The measure of a man is how swiftly he will lie himself or his fine jacket across a puddle or source of other filth in order for a lady to cross it without dirtying her shoes or getting wet feet.
Call me Sham

-"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose." Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of humanity.
Darwinish Brentsylvania wrote:Shamhnan Insir started this wonderful tranquility, ALL PRAISE THE SHEPHERD KING

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri May 08, 2020 11:44 pm

Shamhnan Insir wrote:The measure of a man is how swiftly he will lie himself or his fine jacket across a puddle or source of other filth in order for a lady to cross it without dirtying her shoes or getting wet feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X18s_8gKd8
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri May 08, 2020 11:49 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:I notice you didn't repudiate "popping out babies every ten months", "meek and reverent" or "subject to their husband", (which are considered fairly socially right views -- one can be socially right and economically left, incidentally)... but I guess that's another story.
Those aren't accurate either but that should, again, go without saying.

Still, bringing it back to the men, it's still archaic to put either gender in boxes when individuals are as unique as snowflakes.
While an old-fashioned idea, being virtuous is not wrong at all. It not easy for anyone. People's preferences are unique but their needs are very much the same.
Last edited by Sundiata on Fri May 08, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri May 08, 2020 11:53 pm

Sundiata wrote:
While old-fashioned, being virtuous is not wrong at all. It not easy for anyone. People's preferences are unique but their needs are very much the same.

Actually, no, people's needs are not remotely the same. Not once you get beyond the body's basics like food, air, water, sleep.

What people need to be happy varies substantially.

What one man needs to be happy is a successful career. What another man needs to be happy is a wife and two kids (and for him to be able to raise those kids himself). What a third man needs is a husband and a Labrador. What a fourth man needs -- if he were to have his ideal -- is a mountain cave where he could live in tranquillity and pursue a life of meditation among nature.

One hundred men would probably have one hundred different measures of happiness. One hundred women, likewise (but this thread is about men).

That's why talk about "one true man" is redundant, IMO.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat May 09, 2020 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sat May 09, 2020 12:04 am

Shamhnan Insir wrote:The measure of a man is how swiftly he will lie himself or his fine jacket across a puddle or source of other filth in order for a lady to cross it without dirtying her shoes or getting wet feet.

Good,English gentleman
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat May 09, 2020 12:10 am

Sundiata wrote:While old-fashioned, being virtuous is not wrong at all. It not easy for anyone. People's preferences are unique but their needs are very much the same.

Actually, no, people's needs are not remotely the same. Not once you get beyond the body's basics like food, air, water, sleep.

What one man needs to be happy is a successful career. What another man needs to be happy is a wife and two kids (and for him to be able to raise those kids himself). What a third man needs is a husband and a Labrador. What a fourth man needs -- if he were to have his ideal -- is a mountain cave where he could live in tranquillity and pursue a life of meditation among nature.

The basics are the same but so is the most abstract need. Again, we all have our individual preferences in certain regards but when these preferences are disordered, they steer us away from our highest need. Happiness isn't simply an emotion, but ultimately a state of being that transcends worldly joy. While someone can feel happy in this life, they'll never be ultimately happy.

Our wants are different but our needs are the same.
Last edited by Sundiata on Sat May 09, 2020 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat May 09, 2020 12:18 am

Sundiata wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Actually, no, people's needs are not remotely the same. Not once you get beyond the body's basics like food, air, water, sleep.

The basics are the same but so is the most abstract need. Again, we all have our individual preferences in certain regards but when these preferences are disordered, they steer us away from our highest need. Happiness isn't simply an emotion, but ultimately a state of being that transcends worldly joy. While someone can feel happy in this life, they'll never be ultimately happy.

No-one will ever be happy when they are being forced in a box that pleases someone else.

Or, to quote Goldie Hawn (IIRC): "The only thing that will make you happy is to be happy with who you are, not who people think you are."

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat May 09, 2020 12:22 am

Sundiata wrote:The basics are the same but so is the most abstract need. Again, we all have our individual preferences in certain regards but when these preferences are disordered, they steer us away from our highest need. Happiness isn't simply an emotion, but ultimately a state of being that transcends worldly joy. While someone can feel happy in this life, they'll never be ultimately happy.

No-one will ever be happy when they are being forced in a box that pleases someone else.

Or, to quote Goldie Hawn (IIRC): "The only thing that will make you happy is to be happy with who you are, not who people think you are."

Sundiata is entirely focussed on the afterlife. He even indicated that when he gets a wife he will not truly love her, since only God can be truly loved.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat May 09, 2020 12:27 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:No-one will ever be happy when they are being forced in a box that pleases someone else.

Sundiata is entirely focussed on the afterlife. He even indicated that when he gets a wife he will not truly love her, since only God can be truly loved.

I've read his posts.

But, while not an atheist (which probably surprises some posters), this thread is temporal so my remarks are restricted to the temporal.

(Although, just to take a tiny diversion on the spiritual, if God created us, He created all aspects of our personalities and natures, our desires and needs -- and if our personalities and desires and needs come from God, they cannot be a sin. That's my spiritual part done now.)
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat May 09, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat May 09, 2020 12:48 am

Sundiata wrote:I would like to repudiate this inaccurate characterization.

On the mischaracterisation on drinking, teaching, wearing pants, I apologise. Working wasn't explicitly mentioned.

I notice you didn't repudiate "popping out babies every ten months", "meek and reverent" or "subject to their husband", (which are considered fairly socially right views -- as are no abortion, no divorce, no premarital sex and that women should be subject to correction, all of which you did say -- one can be socially right and economically left, incidentally)... but I guess that's another story.

And just like snowflakes, they will suffer from global warming :)
The Blaatschapen should resign

The Sladerstan
Envoy

Founded: Jan 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sladerstan » Sat May 09, 2020 12:58 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:No-one will ever be happy when they are being forced in a box that pleases someone else.

As am I, I look at life and think 'Everything is temporal, passing, I want to do something that will last forever'

But nowadays I'm a bit stressed and can't really focus, nor do I have the energy to do anything.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 09, 2020 1:00 am

Green October Z wrote:Being a man is all about being dominant, strong, and taking what is rightfully yours. A true man works hard, is heterosexual, owns a pickup truck, a large dog, drinks beer, owns guns, doesn't talk about feelings, lifts weights, eats red meat a lot, and smokes cigars.

At least, that is what many people say.

Many people? Name 10
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sat May 09, 2020 1:05 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

WTF.....
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat May 09, 2020 2:55 am

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

WTF.....

No, I said that the love of my wife should be oriented towards the love of God.
Last edited by Sundiata on Sat May 09, 2020 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Sat May 09, 2020 3:27 am

True man? Okay, someone who identifies as male, there you go.

Other than that you can be whatever the fuck you want and any notions of being a "true man" can fuck right off out the window.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 09, 2020 5:18 am

Sundiata wrote:
Dytarma wrote:It doesn't sound scientific, it is scientific since males have a male sex chromosome, thus making them males. Anything else needed to make a man a man is extra. If you were to put two 100% unknown men with in the vastness of space in which they're both alive, how would you determine which one's manlier? And if it sounds smug then so be it. I feel smug in my opinion.

There's a vested interest in maleness seeming more relative than it is. What began as protestantism became modernism (the synthesis of all heresies); and ultimately culminates in atheism. Our virtues will see us through.

So basically "catholicism is right, protestants are wrong."
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat May 09, 2020 5:21 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Sundiata wrote:There's a vested interest in maleness seeming more relative than it is. What began as protestantism became modernism (the synthesis of all heresies); and ultimately culminates in atheism. Our virtues will see us through.

Not just that, the ideas which led there eventually lead to atheism.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat May 09, 2020 5:22 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Green October Z wrote:Being a man is all about being dominant, strong, and taking what is rightfully yours. A true man works hard, is heterosexual, owns a pickup truck, a large dog, drinks beer, owns guns, doesn't talk about feelings, lifts weights, eats red meat a lot, and smokes cigars.

At least, that is what many people say.

Many people? Name 10

Zach Matovski
Zane Rodriguez
D'Angelo Zitouna
Muayid Al-Omari
Matt Ciaramatero
George Feliciano
Adrian Vuksani
Anthony Fornari
Josh Gordon
Chris Ward

I just named ten people I know who do almost all those things (not all of them have a big truck or lift weights but the heterosexual part they all definitely agree on).
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Sat May 09, 2020 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Vistulange
Negotiator

Founded: May 13, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Vistulange » Sat May 09, 2020 6:59 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Sundiata wrote:There's a vested interest in maleness seeming more relative than it is. What began as protestantism became modernism (the synthesis of all heresies); and ultimately culminates in atheism. Our virtues will see us through.

I mean, that's practically what any faith boils down to, except when there's syncretism involved.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General