NATION

PASSWORD

Coding/programming discussion thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bro, do you even code?

Yes, professionally
24%
Yes, just as a hobby
50%
Nope
26%

Total votes : 38

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Thu May 07, 2020 1:30 pm

I know a little bit of Python, C++, Bash, and JavaScript. I'm not super experienced in any of them, but Python is the one I have the most experience with.

Currently, I'm learning C++ (as part of a class in my school) and I'm trying to learn to make user interfaces in Python and GTK+.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu May 07, 2020 2:01 pm

Window Land wrote:
Risottia wrote:
I sometimes use an online C compiler, here: https://www.onlinegdb.com/online_c_compiler
It's useful in the classroom sometimes. We teachers aren't allowed to install stuff.

It might be worth checking out http://www.repl.it. Without paying money privacy isn't really a thing but it lets you code and run in a whole host of different languages. You can also connect to github from it, although that can be a bit of a hassle. On a related note, if your school blocks github, you can still access it via git.

Also, for shorter code snippets, tio.run is useful.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu May 07, 2020 2:02 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:I know a little bit of Python, C++, Bash, and JavaScript. I'm not super experienced in any of them, but Python is the one I have the most experience with.

Currently, I'm learning C++ (as part of a class in my school) and I'm trying to learn to make user interfaces in Python and GTK+.

Ugh, don't get me started on GTK+. It's horrible and you're very brave to try using it.

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Thu May 07, 2020 2:06 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:I know a little bit of Python, C++, Bash, and JavaScript. I'm not super experienced in any of them, but Python is the one I have the most experience with.

Ugh, don't get me started on GTK+. It's horrible and you're very brave to try using it.

I'm mainly learning it because of the amount of open source software that depends on it.

Would it be better to learn Qt and KDE Frameworks, then?
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu May 07, 2020 2:10 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Ugh, don't get me started on GTK+. It's horrible and you're very brave to try using it.

I'm mainly learning it because of the amount of open source software that depends on it.

Yeah, that's fair, but it's a shame that FOSS uses it so much.
Qt is at least a bit better than GTK+, but it has its own set of problems as well. With regards to graphical toolkits, it seems like the only winning move is not to play and shun graphical interfaces altogether.

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Thu May 07, 2020 2:13 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:I'm mainly learning it because of the amount of open source software that depends on it.

Qt is at least a bit better than GTK+, but it has its own set of problems as well. With regards to graphical toolkits, it seems like the only winning move is not to play and shun graphical interfaces altogether.

Fair enough. CLI will always be easier to program than GUI, I suppose.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu May 07, 2020 2:21 pm

The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Yeah, that's fair, but it's a shame that FOSS uses it so much.

Fair enough. CLI will always be easier to program than GUI, I suppose.

Easier to program, often easier to learn, and more portable. There are situations where you need GUIs, but a lot of the time, one can solve a problem just as well or better with a CLI program.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu May 07, 2020 3:08 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
The Cosmic Mainframe wrote:I'm mainly learning it because of the amount of open source software that depends on it.

Depending on your needs, https://www.electronjs.org/ might be an option for GUIs as apps on the computer. HTML5, javascript and the chromium browser engine under the hood.
The Blaatschapen should resign

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Thu May 07, 2020 3:10 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Depending on your needs, https://www.electronjs.org/ might be an option for GUIs as apps on the computer. HTML5, javascript and the chromium browser engine under the hood.

Well, I do happen to know a lot of HTML5 and CSS3, but my JavaScript needs some work if I'm going to be making fully realized apps.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu May 07, 2020 3:10 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Yeah, but then you might run into issues with the embedded Chromium version being outdated and taking up an inordinate amount of RAM.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu May 07, 2020 3:12 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

Yeah, but then you might run into issues with the embedded Chromium version being outdated and taking up an inordinate amount of RAM.

"inordinate amount of RAM" is my nickname :blush:

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu May 07, 2020 3:13 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Yeah, but then you might run into issues with the embedded Chromium version being outdated and taking up an inordinate amount of RAM.

"inordinate amount of RAM" is my nickname :blush:

Wow, I walked right into that one, didn't I?

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Thu May 07, 2020 4:06 pm

Risottia wrote:I got into coding - well, I prefer to call it "programming" - in the early '80s when I was given a Sinclair ZX Spectrum

Ah, such a wonderful little machine! Practically nothing inside it, but it did a surprising amount of work with that little bit of hardware.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu May 07, 2020 6:08 pm

CGDT isn't good enough for this topic? sad
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Thu May 07, 2020 9:01 pm

I majored in embedded programming in the University, and I used C at that time.I became a java engineer after graduation(dammit).I think I'm very young because I only graduated three years ago.Last year, I did some research and development work in the optical router Department of a large communication company.Also responsible for Python and go so that C engineers can concentrate on router algorithms.So now I'm moving to an Internet company to develop Internet applications,use my favourite Java.Notepad++ is very easy to use.I like it.I usually use idea.Recently, the project team used a fuck tool ----jSqlBox.I searched the whole Internet and didn't see anyone discuss it.The development manual is very simple.When something goes wrong, I have to read the source code again and again >:( I love programming because it's cool and I get a good salary :roll:
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Thu May 07, 2020 9:06 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

Oh gad,I don't want to recall that experience of GTK+.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Thu May 07, 2020 11:27 pm

Powershell doesn't really count I suppose, but MS is pushing it more and more to administer enterprise apps like Azure and 365, so I guess it's part of my profession. I tend to use Visual Studio Code, which I picked mainly because I can use it to learn Python in the future
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Thu May 07, 2020 11:30 pm

I'm currently, very slowly learning some basic coding but only in a simple Game Maker Studio thing. So I'm not sure if that even counts.

Nouveau Yathrib
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nouveau Yathrib » Thu May 07, 2020 11:57 pm

Cekoviu wrote:Just a hobbyist -- I know C# and some R (and bash, if that counts). For C#, I use MonoDevelop (used to use Visual Studio before I migrated to Linux), and for R, I use RStudio. For languages other than those, I just use Kate.

I also tried to learn C++, but manual memory management is very confusing coming from a C# background, so I quit.

Yeah C# is very similar to Java in that regard.

Dukin Donuts wrote:I’d like to be more involved in coding but my primary device (an IPad) isn’t up for the challenge.

https://andrewbrookins.com/tech/can-you ... n-an-ipad/

There are several types of programs I write, some more frequently than others, that my development environment needed to satisfy:

[*]Backend programs, typically web applications and APIs
[*]JavaScript components and single-page applications
[*]Native applications (previously, macOS apps)
[*]Mobile applications (iOS, Android apps)
[*]Text editor plugins

None of these types of programs can be written directly on the iPad, using iOS programs, for a few reasons:

[*]The OS doesn’t allow you to run web servers, compile code, run code on a connected mobile device, or anything else that a programmer needs; so the code itself needs to be somewhere else (I’m sort of okay with this)
[*]There are no good native editors that work well with remote code (I’m not okay with this)
[*]Apple refuses to allow the user to modify running programs in any meaningful way, through the injection of plugin code (I’m not okay with this)
I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7. Copy and paste onto your sig if you were alive when this happened.

This account is the predecessor state of Jamilkhuze and Syfenq. This is how they're different, and this is why they exist.

We are currently in the year 2181. About Us | Factbooks | Past and Future History | OOC Info | Public Relations | iiWiki | Q&A

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Fri May 08, 2020 12:06 am

Esternial wrote:Ooh, Docker. Would really like to get some hand-on experience with that. From what I've read, it seems incredibly useful/powerful.

It is more like the system operation and maintenance personnel need to use. I've only used its quick deployment capabilities.But it's really convenient, because I don't need to rebuild an environment on Linux.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri May 08, 2020 2:43 am

Albrenia wrote:I'm currently, very slowly learning some basic coding but only in a simple Game Maker Studio thing. So I'm not sure if that even counts.

Oh yeah, I used to use the predecessor to that when I was first getting into computers. IIRC, Game Maker Studio is more code-focused and well-documented than its predecessors, which makes it relatively more powerful.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Fri May 08, 2020 9:39 am

Any other Lispers here?
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

95X
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: Coding/programming discussion thread

Postby 95X » Fri May 08, 2020 9:44 am

A few months back, someone sent me the link to the code for Spyglass—I'd never tried Python before. When I opened the code, I was pleasantly surprised by how readable Python is, considering I'd never seen it before. So I borrowed a 'learn python for beginners' book from the public library and downloaded the Python3 programming environment, where I learned the concepts in just the first few chapters covered every concept I "learned" in high school.

Back in high school I got some exposure to QBasic, which I would later expand on myself because QBasic was included on MS DOS and Windows from QBasic's inception through Windows 98 SE; Pascal, I don't remember any of it though; C++ ,extremely simple single-file programs though; and HTML, again very basic stuff when making a website meant handwriting the HTML and uploading it to a server or something like Geocities.
Nation not my RL views, etc.
Poe's Law. Nonpartisan.
Is it sad that some I learned AO4LIFE from are no longer in Atlantian Oceania?
“An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.”—Niels Bohr
‘Everyone makes mistakes, that's why they put erasers at the end of pencils.’—Bob Monkhouse paraphrase
“If you want to read books, read books.”—Dennis James
AOCAF 22 & 47 Champions! • Volleyball World Expo 1, 2, 4, 7 & 9 Champions!

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Fri May 08, 2020 10:01 am

Can someone who understands Python explain to me why, with all dependencies fulfilled, following the directions for installing this program from source on Linux inevitably fails at the last step on the basis of what appears to be a syntax error in the srctools dependency? And how do I fix this?
Code: Select all
325 INFO: PyInstaller: 3.6
325 INFO: Python: 2.7.17 (conda)
326 INFO: Platform: Linux-5.5.0-2-amd64-x86_64-with-debian-bullseye-sid
339 INFO: UPX is available.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/cekoviu/miniconda2/bin/pyinstaller", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('PyInstaller==3.6', 'console_scripts', 'pyinstaller')()
  File "/home/cekoviu/miniconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyInstaller/__main__.py", line 114, in run
    run_build(pyi_config, spec_file, **vars(args))
  File "/home/cekoviu/miniconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyInstaller/__main__.py", line 65, in run_build
    PyInstaller.building.build_main.main(pyi_config, spec_file, **kwargs)
  File "/home/cekoviu/miniconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyInstaller/building/build_main.py", line 734, in main
    build(specfile, kw.get('distpath'), kw.get('workpath'), kw.get('clean_build'))
  File "/home/cekoviu/miniconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyInstaller/building/build_main.py", line 681, in build
    exec(code, spec_namespace)
  File "BEE2.spec", line 3, in <module>
    import srctools
  File "/home/cekoviu/miniconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/srctools-1.2.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/srctools/__init__.py", line 37
    def clean_line(line: str) -> str:
                       ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri May 08, 2020 10:31 am

Albrenia wrote:I'm currently, very slowly learning some basic coding but only in a simple Game Maker Studio thing. So I'm not sure if that even counts.

It counts.

Even formulas in spreadsheets count.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General