NATION

PASSWORD

Coronavirus Thread IV: Legends, Laments and Lockdowns

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Have you or anyone in your vincinity been affected by COVID-19?

I don't know anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19
44%
I know someone was diagnosed with COVID-19
23%
Someone very close to me was diagnosed with COVID-19
6%
I know someone who was hospitalized with COVID-19
9%
Someone very close to me was hospitalized with COVID-19
4%
I was diagnosed with COVID-19
3%
I was hospitalized with COVID-19
1%
I don't know/unsure/other
8%

Total votes : 682

-SARS-
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby -SARS- » Sun May 10, 2020 3:30 am

Albrenia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Oh nice. "That was before I did time" gets you out of being the author of some of the crazy ideas we're talking about.

Face it, the whole world is safer if Donald Trump watches Fox And Friends, than if it would be if he read General for his ideas.

Imagines the policy whiplash though. One minute he'd be authorising dogs as an execution method and the next he'd be instituting a UBI.

No, dogs would be banned. IM made a thread arguing that we should ban dogs.

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Hopefully we can develop effective antiviral treatments for COVID by then so we can at least lessen the severity of things by the time a vaccine gets here.

A good enough treatment would make a vaccine unnecessary.

Which begs the question. After trillions of dollars of investment why haven't pharmas developed some chemical that kills ANY kind of virus in the bloodstream?

Is there some way that killing viruses in the bloodstream is actually bad? Are there any essential viruses we need to stay healthy?

It is a serious question to the experts here. Why do we need to wait for variations of a know virus to appear, then take a year or more to kill the bastard? Why don't we already have a medicine that just kills viruses?

That's easier said than done because viruses are highly diverse, and many chemicals that have the potential to damage a virus would also damage human cells.

Also, killing all the viruses in your body would make you more vulnerable to bacterial infections because there are viruses that prey on bacteria.

Most viruses are not harmful. People just notice the dangerous ones a lot more than the benign ones.
This nation is made with pure 100% all-natural SARS. Non-GMO, gluten-free, and ZERO ADDED SUGAR!

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 10, 2020 3:34 am

As useless as my own untrained musings might be on the issue, I figure that anything generally destructive enough to kill all viruses of any type would likely have a lot of collateral damage to the person.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:43 am

Nazeroth wrote:
Diahon wrote:
the fact that i had to ask means i'm either blind to the impact of any such pronouncement if trump saw and considered them... or that i didn't see them because there were none to speak of

your saying "such as"

if you have spent any serious amount of time in NSG you would see the crazy shit people advocate for

I know you were founded in April but cmon...

Note: I meant Noebel Hobo, but im shocked(with over a 1,000 posts) you havn't seen any crazy ideas.

I appreciate that you're supporting my point here. Trump should stay off NSG, it would not help him be a good president at all.

It was a joke. But that's OK. My jokes are calibrated for 50% "get" ratio, it just seems right to me. I don't particularly approve those who get the joke, nor look down on those who don't. The "obscure reference" style of humour is not mine. Nor is the "broad" humour that everyone gets. It's just my style. 50%. Deadpan and plausible. To know for sure it's a joke you have to know me quite well, and "get" that it's something I would never say seriously.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how to properly kill a joke. :(
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:56 am

-SARS- wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
A good enough treatment would make a vaccine unnecessary.

Which begs the question. After trillions of dollars of investment why haven't pharmas developed some chemical that kills ANY kind of virus in the bloodstream?

Is there some way that killing viruses in the bloodstream is actually bad? Are there any essential viruses we need to stay healthy?

It is a serious question to the experts here. Why do we need to wait for variations of a know virus to appear, then take a year or more to kill the bastard? Why don't we already have a medicine that just kills viruses?

That's easier said than done because viruses are highly diverse, and many chemicals that have the potential to damage a virus would also damage human cells.

I get that, and I appreciate that you're using my default term "chemical". It's an ideal, something so small it is just one molecule.

Also, killing all the viruses in your body would make you more vulnerable to bacterial infections because there are viruses that prey on bacteria.

Ah. I suspected that. Viruses have been around longer than humans, it does not surprise me to hear they have found a symbiotic role with us.

Could a person survive with all their friendly viruses wiped out, though? To save a human life we are prepared to make the human very sick. And the friendly viruses could later be restored with a simple injection.

Most viruses are not harmful. People just notice the dangerous ones a lot more than the benign ones.

Virus propaganda. Only a brainless virus would believe that!

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun May 10, 2020 5:20 am

Diahon wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:
Then why ask lol, like you havn't seen crazy ideas on here.

i haven't seen any crazy ideas on all four threads dealing with this virus, or maybe i have and i just forgot

but general in general? yeah, do your worst, for i've seen shit

GVH said last night "we should just reopen everything and smile." I would rather the events of "When Day Breaks" happen than go with his idea.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun May 10, 2020 5:21 am

Albrenia wrote:As useless as my own untrained musings might be on the issue, I figure that anything generally destructive enough to kill all viruses of any type would likely have a lot of collateral damage to the person.

UVC for example, which trump wants to put in your body through your skin or "in some other way," burning you alive from the inside.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sun May 10, 2020 5:21 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Diahon wrote:
i haven't seen any crazy ideas on all four threads dealing with this virus, or maybe i have and i just forgot

GVH said last night "we should just reopen everything and smile." I would rather the events of "When Day Breaks" happen than go with his idea.

oh, vakolicci

i uh completely forgot about him, tbh

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun May 10, 2020 5:23 am

Diahon wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

oh, vakolicci

The worst part is he didn't say those exact words here. He said them in a call, so even when he isn't on a keyboard and is instead on his computer, he still believes fully in "the economic resurrection" also known as "the great dying" by everyone else.

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sun May 10, 2020 5:33 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
-SARS- wrote:

Virus is a biological trash can.Special organisms without cellular structure are basically classified into this category. In fact, most viruses are harmless.Now there is also a new treatment method using phage
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun May 10, 2020 5:36 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Diahon wrote:

It's not the worst thing Trump could do.

He's already turned over moral leadership to the state governors (and then sniped at the Democrat ones) and as I understand American politics there's no going back from that. Once the President says "it's a state matter" he gives up the bully pulpit.

He can say "reopen everything" or he can say "no wait, lock it back down" and nobody Democrat or Republican is going to listen.

Politically the best thing for him now is to get on TV a lot, smile like the Joker, and sing a happy song about Morning in America.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun May 10, 2020 5:38 am

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Virus is a biological trash can.Special organisms without cellular structure are basically classified into this category. In fact, most viruses are harmless.Now there is also a new treatment method using phage

Bacteriophage? That eat bacteria?

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sun May 10, 2020 5:43 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Yep,for more and more resistant to bacteria.It's also a kind of famous virus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phage_therapy
Last edited by Shanghai industrial complex on Sun May 10, 2020 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun May 10, 2020 5:46 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Diahon wrote:
oh, vakolicci

The worst part is he didn't say those exact words here. He said them in a call, so even when he isn't on a keyboard and is instead on his computer, he still believes fully in "the economic resurrection" also known as "the great dying" by everyone else.

Yeah, thanks for the update on what GVH is rolling with now.

If you saw him on a call, could you confirm his claim on the forum that he is fat?

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun May 10, 2020 5:50 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote: Why don't we already have a medicine that just kills viruses?

I am guessing most anti-viral agents work by shutting down the cells the virus has infected and is using to replicate itself. That needs to be specifically targeted; because shutting all cells down kills you.

But I am not a virologist, so if -Sars- says something else I will believe it ;)
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun May 10, 2020 5:55 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Yep,for more and more resistant to bacteria.It's also a kind of famous virus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phage_therapy

Phage therapy or viral phage therapy is the therapeutic use of bacteriophages to treat pathogenic bacterial infections

Well fuck me sideways. I assumed a bacteriophage gobbled up bacteria, and so, must bigger than them. Bigger bacteria.

So I was wrong. Bacteriophages are viruses that attack single cells (bacteria). They're like little pirates.

Still, a virus that attacks bacteria is not a virus that attacks other viruses. That's like pirates fighting each other ... out at sea ... without a ship in sight. How could they do that? WHY would they do that? There's no booty.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun May 10, 2020 6:06 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote: Why don't we already have a medicine that just kills viruses?

I am guessing most anti-viral agents work by shutting down the cells the virus has infected and is using to replicate itself. That needs to be specifically targeted; because shutting all cells down kills you.

Annoys the hell out of me. Viruses somehow escape from our otherwise global capacity to kill things by (a) being too small and (b) not actually being alive?

That's fucking cheating. I want to kill those viruses so bad.

But I am not a virologist, so if -Sars- says something else I will believe it ;)

Our resident expert. Though prone to pro-virus propaganda, I guess that's a joke.

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sun May 10, 2020 6:12 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

https://www.genengnews.com/news/influen ... particles/

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun May 10, 2020 6:44 am

Thepeopl wrote:

https://www.genengnews.com/news/influen ... particles/

We'll use viruses to kill viruses?

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sun May 10, 2020 6:56 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

We'll use viruses to kill viruses?

Parts of them. To block the "attachment parts" so they can't get attached to a cell and thus not replicate

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun May 10, 2020 7:06 am

We were warned that this was bound to happen when lockdown is lifted:

Coronavirus infections are rising in Germany, official data shows, just days after the country eased its lockdown restrictions.

According to the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), Germany's reproduction rate - the number of people each confirmed patient infects - is now above 1.

This means the number of infections is now rising in the country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52604676
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun May 10, 2020 7:10 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Albrenia wrote:As useless as my own untrained musings might be on the issue, I figure that anything generally destructive enough to kill all viruses of any type would likely have a lot of collateral damage to the person.

UVC for example, which trump wants to put in your body through your skin or "in some other way," burning you alive from the inside.

https://www.bioworld.com/articles/43471 ... rgency-use
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun May 10, 2020 7:16 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

https://www.bioworld.com/articles/43471 ... rgency-use

Hmmmm? Trump probably has money in that company. He has shown he will use the position of POTUS to pimp his investments.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun May 10, 2020 7:16 am

The New California Republic wrote:We were warned that this was bound to happen when lockdown is lifted:

Coronavirus infections are rising in Germany, official data shows, just days after the country eased its lockdown restrictions.

According to the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), Germany's reproduction rate - the number of people each confirmed patient infects - is now above 1.

This means the number of infections is now rising in the country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52604676

That is interesting since it normally takes about a week for people to show symptoms.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun May 10, 2020 7:17 am

The Black Forrest wrote:

Hmmmm? Trump probably has money in that company. He has shown he will use the position of POTUS to pimp his investments.

Yeah, that must be it. Only possible reason. :roll:
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun May 10, 2020 7:21 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Yeah, that must be it. Only possible reason. :roll:

Have you taken your chloroquine yet? I did mention it was the only possible reason....oh wait....I didn’t.

Even your article isn’t calling it a solution. Potentially? sure......
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General