NATION

PASSWORD

Coronavirus Thread IV: Legends, Laments and Lockdowns

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Have you or anyone in your vincinity been affected by COVID-19?

I don't know anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19
44%
I know someone was diagnosed with COVID-19
23%
Someone very close to me was diagnosed with COVID-19
6%
I know someone who was hospitalized with COVID-19
9%
Someone very close to me was hospitalized with COVID-19
4%
I was diagnosed with COVID-19
3%
I was hospitalized with COVID-19
1%
I don't know/unsure/other
8%

Total votes : 682

SangMar
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Sat May 09, 2020 9:09 pm

Rijkenlandd wrote:
SangMar wrote:
Shut up. Only American should be spoken in America. Fucking... commie... nazi, R-Russian.

No but seriously, it’s funny how Covid-19 has really exposed one thing.

Racism from people who were “normal” and otherness.

What I mean specifically is, look at how people from China and Asia still are getting racist shit thrown at them for the virus. Despite it mostly having moved on to places like Europe, Brazil and the US. Why aren’t Italians being targeted? Why aren’t British people being targeted?

Why? Because, they look like the racists - and if they could have it, then it’s clearly not just an Asian thing, is it? It could happen to them.

Imagine thinking the Chinese Communist Party is a race

It’s depressing. For both the moonshine-swilling yeehaws and the 50 cent tank-tread gang.
On Nationstates since 2012.
Nationstates’ Favourite Unknown and Autistic Tankie Eliminator!
B E G O N E T A N K I E DEGENERATE
Protip: Tankies =/= all communists.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

https://www.politicalcompass.org/analysis2?ec=-4.88&soc=-4.31

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sat May 09, 2020 9:46 pm

Fox News Host Calls for Healthy People to Get Infected.
https://news.yahoo.com/fox-news-host-ca ... kfmevaatca

This is interesting because the guy is supposed to be a Trump advisor. I think this may be the policy of Trump although it is not explicitly stated by him. The number for herd immunity is half a million people dead by 2021 if you read the article.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Sat May 09, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat May 09, 2020 9:51 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Fox News Host Calls for Healthy People to Get Infected.

This is interesting because the guy is supposed to be a Trump advisor. I think this may be the policy of Trump although it is not explicitly stated by him. The number for herd immunity is half a million people dead by 2021 if you read the article.

I don't recall us learning how long the immunity lasts.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

-SARS-
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby -SARS- » Sat May 09, 2020 9:57 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

I don't recall us learning how long the immunity lasts.

We'll learn sooner or later, when it starts running out for some of the people who got the virus during the first wave of infections.
This nation is made with pure 100% all-natural SARS. Non-GMO, gluten-free, and ZERO ADDED SUGAR!

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:18 pm

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:And if he did do these things we would have another thread on nsg about “trumps being a dictator by holding the nation hostage and not letting people in or out”

Probably, but I’m pretty sure Trump doesn’t read NSG so why would that matter?

I HOPE he doesn't. There are some REALLY bad ideas here which I don't want him exposed to.

Blakk Metal wrote:
-SARS- wrote:
China's actions do not explain why the US is doing so much worse than somewhere like South Korea. Countries that had some sort of pandemic response plan ready to go have been able to slow the spread a lot more effectively, even if they still have a few cases here or there.

Why is everyone comparing the US to South Korea, and not to a more mediocre country?

That's just mean. S. Korea is a valid comparison. It has liabilities in common with the US: a northern location, dense cities. It has advantages in common: good standard of living, good hospital system. It's actually a good example of what the US could have been, if the US had just acted early and got lots of tests early.

I think there is a critical difference that the US can't do much about. South Korea didn't need a lot of restrictions, because the populace observed the ones they had. According to Galloism that approach is working well in Arkansas, but that doesn't mean it would work across the US.

Bombadil wrote:
Nakena wrote:
Corona would have hit hard anyways. Maybe not as much but there be other problems including a lot of GOP governors openly defying a democratic presidency and a lot more militias and tea partyiers would be whining big time right now.

Would it change much? There would likely be still 10.000 of deaths...

The single biggest mistake was banning China nationals but allowing floods of Americans to return from China and Europe with zero testing, tracking or tracing.. two weeks of viral incubation later and the mass outbreak occurred.

From Asia direct flights to the US go to NY, Chicago, LA, SF and then Boston and Seattle.. oh look, NY, NJ, Massachusetts, Illinois and California are the top hardest hit states with Washington not too far behind..

..go figure, the president is a dangerous moron.

I agree. Furthermore if it had been China banning any travel out of the country, the US would have demanded it's citizens back and then not quarantined them. I guess fewer of them would have been infected (it being earlier in China's epidemic) but some certainly would.

Neutraligon wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
And this is why I don't totally miss Obama.

Man think of how much Trump lowered the bar. We look at Biden, a guy who was accused by several women of sexual misconduct and by one of full on rape, and we think he's a viable alternative to this madman.

Biden at least is not a danger to the US. Trump is actively a danger. I wonder how much China's hiding things has to do with the bad blood between the US and China in addition to the saving face thing.

It sort of makes sense. China didn't completely hide the problem, but they did understate it. Taiwan and South Korea who habitually pay a lot of attention to any word from China, got the hint. America and most of the West didn't get it, "there's a new flu-something in China big whoop, that's their problem."

So was it China's fault for understatement, or the US's fault for not paying attention?

I think it was both, but blame has to go to the WHO as well. With medical expertise they should have decoded the information out of China and put it in terms that world leaders can understand. Now I don't believe the WHO should be recommending one way or the other major government policies like shutting down air travel, but they did. They recommended against it. That was a mistake.

SangMar wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Maybe try and keep this to the virus?

You can’t tell me what to do.

Okay, so - has there been a general plan for when the US should see their lockdowns end? Or is it just it ends on a certain date, and that’s it?

Think of it as a war. You're the guy saying "please tell me this will be over by Christmas" and anyone who tells you Yes is lying. They don't actually know.

The virus is our enemy, and we're in the fog of war.

Kargintina the Third wrote:
SangMar wrote:
You can’t tell me what to do.

Okay, so - has there been a general plan for when the US should see their lockdowns end? Or is it just it ends on a certain date, and that’s it?

Idk about most states but it seems Cuomo wants my state in eternal lockdown

Kargintina the Third wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
That isnt what I heard. It sounds like he wants to end the shelter in place by June.

Incorrect, he plans to just START plans to open in June

The former post is either a lie, or it's a mistake you don't have the decency to retract.

Perhaps you don't want to admit you didn't know your own governor's policy when you sounded off against it?

Nakena wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Yep, it's all fun..

On Monday the Republican governor of Nebraska, Pete Ricketts, a close ally of Donald Trump and frequent visitor to the White House, opened his daily coronavirus briefing with a big announcement. “Today is May 4,” he said, “the first day of loosened restrictions statewide.”

With his declaration, Ricketts placed Nebraska at the vanguard of America’s reopening. Churches can now open their doors to worshippers, wedding bells and funeral dirges will be heard once more, hospitals can reschedule elective surgeries, and most Nebraskans will be able to resumehaving their hair cut, nails manicured, bodies massaged and skin tattooed.

Restaurants are once again serving diners, though at half capacity. Nebraska Crossing has become one of the first malls in North America to welcome back shoppers.

It’s a happy day in sunny Nebraska.

But the statistics paint a very different picture. In the last seven days, the state recorded a 57% leap in the daily number of new cases, to a total of 7,190. The death rate too is rising sharply, standing at 90.

Well, I guess Nebraska is then designated as Covid-19 experimental region. What happens if the lockdown is lifted early?

See and what happens. Denizens of Nebraska who do not wish to participate shall remain in personal isolation.

It's an experiment of sorts, but the results will really only apply to medium sized cities and extra-urban areas.

Big cities need restrictions the most, as the unchecked spread of the virus would be fastest there.

The biggest city in Nebraska is Omaha, about half a million. 40th largest in the US, so I'm calling it medium sized.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:21 pm

-SARS- wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:I don't recall us learning how long the immunity lasts.

We'll learn sooner or later, when it starts running out for some of the people who got the virus during the first wave of infections.

I guess they're being tested to check they still have antibodies. It's pretty important to know for future planning.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat May 09, 2020 10:43 pm

If you follow the link "informal Trump advisor"

If the president pardons U.S. servicemen accused and convicted of war crimes, you can thank one of Donald Trump’s favorite cable-news hosts.

Over the weekend, news broke that President Trump is preparing to pardon several U.S. servicemen involved in high-profile cases of gunning down civilians or killing detainees, with the White House having already ordered that the necessary paperwork be drawn up ahead of the coming Memorial Day. The news came roughly two months after Trump publicly intervened in what he called “restrictive” confinement conditions of one of the alleged war criminals.

At the heart of both these moves has been a months-long lobbying campaign by Pete Hegseth, a Fox & Friends co-host and a buddy and informal adviser of the president’s.

Since as early as January, Hegseth has repeatedly pressed the president to support the accused and convicted servicemen. Among those Hegseth—himself an Iraq War veteran and formerly the head of the conservative group Concerned Veterans for America—has advocated for is Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher, a Navy SEAL platoon leader set to stand trial on May 28 for allegedly shooting civilians, including a school-age girl, and knifing to death a captured ISIS fighter receiving medical treatment in Iraq in 2017.

Trump considered Hegseth to run Veteran's Affairs. Fortunately he picked Wilkie instead.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Sat May 09, 2020 10:50 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Cuz Chinese and Arabic sound the same. What an idiot. :lol2:

Yep. I had heard stories like that on reddit...I just...never thought they where well real

I'm just shocked at how someone can't distinguish Chinese and Arabic. Japanese, Korean and Chinese mixups I can forgive, but Chinese and Arabic?

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

If you follow the link "informal Trump advisor"

If the president pardons U.S. servicemen accused and convicted of war crimes, you can thank one of Donald Trump’s favorite cable-news hosts.

Over the weekend, news broke that President Trump is preparing to pardon several U.S. servicemen involved in high-profile cases of gunning down civilians or killing detainees, with the White House having already ordered that the necessary paperwork be drawn up ahead of the coming Memorial Day. The news came roughly two months after Trump publicly intervened in what he called “restrictive” confinement conditions of one of the alleged war criminals.

At the heart of both these moves has been a months-long lobbying campaign by Pete Hegseth, a Fox & Friends co-host and a buddy and informal adviser of the president’s.

Since as early as January, Hegseth has repeatedly pressed the president to support the accused and convicted servicemen. Among those Hegseth—himself an Iraq War veteran and formerly the head of the conservative group Concerned Veterans for America—has advocated for is Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher, a Navy SEAL platoon leader set to stand trial on May 28 for allegedly shooting civilians, including a school-age girl, and knifing to death a captured ISIS fighter receiving medical treatment in Iraq in 2017.

Trump considered Hegseth to run Veteran's Affairs. Fortunately he picked Wilkie instead.

That got dark fast. The president doesn't seem to be listening to the right people all the time.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sat May 09, 2020 11:21 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Probably, but I’m pretty sure Trump doesn’t read NSG so why would that matter?

I HOPE he doesn't. There are some REALLY bad ideas here which I don't want him exposed to.

such as?

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Sat May 09, 2020 11:23 pm

Diahon wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

such as?

The fact that you just had to ask validates Dihon.
Comically Evil Member of the Anti-Democracy League
Government: Tyrannical Feudal Despotism
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you..."
"The meek will inherit nothing..."
"Behold and despair fools"
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sat May 09, 2020 11:27 pm

Nazeroth wrote:
Diahon wrote:
such as?

the fact that i had to ask means i'm either blind to the impact of any such pronouncement if trump saw and considered them... or that i didn't see them because there were none to speak of

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Sat May 09, 2020 11:32 pm

Diahon wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

the fact that i had to ask means i'm either blind to the impact of any such pronouncement if trump saw and considered them... or that i didn't see them because there were none to speak of

your saying "such as"

if you have spent any serious amount of time in NSG you would see the crazy shit people advocate for

I know you were founded in April but cmon...

Note: I meant Noebel Hobo, but im shocked(with over a 1,000 posts) you havn't seen any crazy ideas.
Last edited by Nazeroth on Sat May 09, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sat May 09, 2020 11:36 pm

Nazeroth wrote:
Diahon wrote:

your saying "such as"

if you have spent any serious amount of time in NSG you would see the crazy shit people advocate for

Note: I meant Noebel Hobo, but im shocked(with over a 1,000 posts) you havn't seen any crazy ideas.

i've been here six years, yo

my previous iterations just keep getting deat'd, is all

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Sat May 09, 2020 11:37 pm

Diahon wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:
your saying "such as"

Then why ask lol, like you havn't seen crazy ideas on here.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun May 10, 2020 1:54 am

Diahon wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:
your saying "such as"

Oh nice. "That was before I did time" gets you out of being the author of some of the crazy ideas we're talking about.

Face it, the whole world is safer if Donald Trump watches Fox And Friends, than if it would be if he read General for his ideas.

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sun May 10, 2020 1:55 am

Nazeroth wrote:
Diahon wrote:

Then why ask lol, like you havn't seen crazy ideas on here.

i haven't seen any crazy ideas on all four threads dealing with this virus, or maybe i have and i just forgot

but general in general? yeah, do your worst, for i've seen shit

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Sun May 10, 2020 2:47 am

Kannap wrote:
San Lumen wrote:I hope we do as well. That would amazing

"Fauci has cautioned that even if everything goes perfectly, 12 to 18 months to develop a vaccine would set a speed record."

by the autumn of 2021 maybe

Hopefully we can develop effective antiviral treatments for COVID by then so we can at least lessen the severity of things by the time a vaccine gets here.
Occasionally the Neo-American States
"Choke on the ashes of your hate."
Authoritarian leftist as a means to a libertarian socialist end. Civic nationalist and American patriot. Democracy is non-negotiable. Uniting humanity, fixing our planet and venturing out into the stars is the overarching goal. Jaded and broken yet I persist.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 10, 2020 2:48 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Diahon wrote:

Oh nice. "That was before I did time" gets you out of being the author of some of the crazy ideas we're talking about.

Face it, the whole world is safer if Donald Trump watches Fox And Friends, than if it would be if he read General for his ideas.

Imagines the policy whiplash though. One minute he'd be authorising dogs as an execution method and the next he'd be instituting a UBI.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:02 am

Albrenia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Imagines the policy whiplash though. One minute he'd be authorising dogs as an execution method and the next he'd be instituting a UBI.

Oh hi Albo.

Yeah still we'd be safer. Anything seen on TV does not penetrate much beyond the visual cortex. Reading goes a little deeper, it engages the critical faculty. Actually interacting with someone else, talking, asking questions, arguing, goes even deeper into the brain and motivates actions. Trump doesn't let even qualified experts that far into his brain. And in a sense we should be glad of it: Trump has terrible taste in advisors.

Maybe Trump spending a few hours each day reading General wouldn't be that bad after all. But if he gets involved. If he starts posting here. We are all going to die.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:15 am

Kannap wrote:
"Fauci has cautioned that even if everything goes perfectly, 12 to 18 months to develop a vaccine would set a speed record."

by the autumn of 2021 maybe

Hopefully we can develop effective antiviral treatments for COVID by then so we can at least lessen the severity of things by the time a vaccine gets here.

A good enough treatment would make a vaccine unnecessary.

Which begs the question. After trillions of dollars of investment why haven't pharmas developed some chemical that kills ANY kind of virus in the bloodstream?

Is there some way that killing viruses in the bloodstream is actually bad? Are there any essential viruses we need to stay healthy?

It is a serious question to the experts here. Why do we need to wait for variations of a know virus to appear, then take a year or more to kill the bastard? Why don't we already have a medicine that just kills viruses?

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Sun May 10, 2020 3:16 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Hopefully we can develop effective antiviral treatments for COVID by then so we can at least lessen the severity of things by the time a vaccine gets here.

Which begs the question. After trillions of dollars of investment why haven't pharmas developed some chemical that kills ANY kind of virus in the bloodstream?

Is there some way that killing viruses in the bloodstream is actually bad? Are there any essential viruses we need to stay healthy?

It is a serious question to the experts here. Why do we need to wait for variations of a know virus to appear, then take a year or more to kill the bastard? Why don't we already have a medicine that just kills viruses?

getting awfully close to Trump with that one

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:20 am

Nazeroth wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Not really.

My question was posed to "experts here". It was not posed to you.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Sun May 10, 2020 3:23 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

Not really.

My question was posed to "experts here". It was not posed to you.

what? that's not what I was saying lol I mean Trump himself was talking about if the doctors could figure out a way to do more or less what you were saying.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun May 10, 2020 3:27 am

You're welcome to try though.

Why is it not possible to kill all viruses in the bloodstream?

It's something to do with lipids. Go study and bring me some kind of answer. Or you know, criticise the question without even trying answer it. Whatever. Just bring me something a bit better than "getting awfully close to Trump there". I'm not the fucking president, I'm not in the middle of delivering a speech to your nation, my nation, or any other nation. I'm a poster on NSG and I'm asking a question. I'm not implying anything, I'm just asking a question.

If you have no answer, then shut up. Reply to someone else.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Sun May 10, 2020 3:29 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:You're welcome to try though.

Why is it not possible to kill all viruses in the bloodstream?

It's something to do with lipids. Go study and bring me some kind of answer. Or you know, criticise the question without even trying answer it. Whatever. Just bring me something a bit better than "getting awfully close to Trump there". I'm not the fucking president, I'm not in the middle of delivering a speech to your nation, my nation, or any other nation. I'm a poster on NSG and I'm asking a question. I'm not implying anything, I'm just asking a question.

If you have no answer, then shut up. Reply to someone else.

You know what, i'm actually proud of you.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General