NATION

PASSWORD

Coronavirus Thread IV: Legends, Laments and Lockdowns

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Have you or anyone in your vincinity been affected by COVID-19?

I don't know anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19
44%
I know someone was diagnosed with COVID-19
23%
Someone very close to me was diagnosed with COVID-19
6%
I know someone who was hospitalized with COVID-19
9%
Someone very close to me was hospitalized with COVID-19
4%
I was diagnosed with COVID-19
3%
I was hospitalized with COVID-19
1%
I don't know/unsure/other
8%

Total votes : 682

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:31 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Ha? The original post with regards to this was permanent social distancing caused by being unable to ever develop a vaccine. Ever

A vaccine is going to be found. If not that a viable treatment and we won’t need any of the current measures anymore

I don't see how a vaccine will be found if antibodies don't last forever and reinfection is possible
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:35 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Shanghai industrial complex wrote:It's stupid to save an industry by issuing more money.Although the United States can pass on the cost to the world through its financial advantages,but that interrupted the spontaneous clearing process of the market.For example ,the aftermath of the financial crisis of 2008 has survived to this day and it's not solved.At this time, the government should let these fragile industries go bankrupt.They will be healthier and stronger in the future.

Yeah let’s let broadway die and 4 billion dollars evaporates. That would have no effect on the city economy whatsoever

Have you really been going on about the death of the theatre for EIGHT PAGES?

$4 billion is actually not much money. Is that annual, and including touring shows?
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:43 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Yeah let’s let broadway die and 4 billion dollars evaporates. That would have no effect on the city economy whatsoever

$4 billion is actually not much money. Is that annual, and including touring shows?

I'm starting to think that Lumen works at Broadway.

$4 billion isn't actually not a lot of money? For whom? The city of New York? NYC has to pay for police, schools, snow removal, roads, bureaucrats, hospitals, fire fighters, tourism advertising, jails, etc. I haven't seen their books, but $4 billion could well and truly be a substantial amount of money
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:45 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I'm starting to think that Lumen works at Broadway.

$4 billion isn't actually not a lot of money? For whom? The city of New York? NYC has to pay for police, schools, snow removal, roads, bureaucrats, hospitals, fire fighters, tourism advertising, jails, etc. I haven't seen their books, but $4 billion could well and truly be a substantial amount of money

You think the $4 billion is how much tax Broadway pays?

Even if it was, the city budget of NYC is $86 billion.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:46 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Kannap wrote:
For theatres to reopen without social distancing, people will have to die and spread the virus. How many people dying and having the virus is acceptable for these places to reopen?

They wont be because they can't make a profit therefore Billy is hung out to dry by the government because they wont give the arts a penny. He has to possibly give up on his career and the one place he can be himself and go work a desk job completely miserable.

I'm sure that the guy who cleans the toilets at the Winter Garden Theatre loves nothing as much as he loves his job

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:47 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I'm starting to think that Lumen works at Broadway.

It's not about how much tax they pay. It's about how much revenue they generate. There are various ways to generate revenue other than paying tax. For one, the employees pay tax. Their shareholders would pay tax. Their suppliers pay tax, their suppliers' suppliers pay tax, etc.
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:56 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

It's not about how much tax they pay.

Then you comparing the amount to NYC's spending is a non-sequitur.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:06 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:It's not about how much tax they pay.

No it's not. If I ran a business which pays $30,000 per annum in tax, that's not how much my money my business generates.

I have to pay employees. These employees pay tax. These employees contribute to the economy in manners which don't involve tax. I have to pay suppliers. My suppliers pay tax. My suppliers are supplied by supplied by suppliers who pay tax, etc. People who I hire are people who aren't claiming unemployment benefits. If my suppliers have to hire, say 6 persons to supply my business, then that's 6 persons who are paying tax, contributing to the economy, and not claiming unemployment. Same goes for their suppliers, and their suppliers, since and repeat for many cycles

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:08 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

No it's not. If I ran a business which pays $30,000 per annum in tax, that's not how much my money my business generates.

You're making the assumption that $4 billion is how much tax Broadway pays.

Is that a fact?

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:09 pm

Australian rePublic wrote: that's 6 persons who are paying tax, contributing to the economy, and not claiming unemployment.

People claiming unemployment also contribute to the economy. And they pay tax.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:20 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:No it's not. If I ran a business which pays $30,000 per annum in tax, that's not how much my money my business generates.

Is that a fact?

When did I say that that's how much tax they pay? Lumen said that that's how much they contribute to the economy, and I said that that's a lot. I never said that's that how much tax they pay

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:22 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote: that's 6 persons who are paying tax, contributing to the economy, and not claiming unemployment.

People claiming unemployment also contribute to the economy. And they pay tax.

Bot as much as someone with a job. Centrelink (or whatever America's equivilant is) is tax payer funded
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:31 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Is that a fact?

When did I say that that's how much tax they pay? Lumen said that that's how much they contribute to the economy, and I said that that's a lot. I never said that's that how much tax they pay

How much tax they pay to the city is the only thing that makes the costs of running the city relevant.

You never said anything about how much tax they pay. That's what makes the NYC budget a non sequitur.

It does not follow. It is irrelevant. It is meaningless distraction.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:36 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:When did I say that that's how much tax they pay? Lumen said that that's how much they contribute to the economy, and I said that that's a lot. I never said that's that how much tax they pay

How much tax they pay to the city is the only thing that makes the costs of running the city relevant.

I already explained to you why it's not. Are you going to refute what I said? Did I not explain it clearly enough.

Broadway's employees contribute to NYC's economy. Therefore the economic contribution of Broadway's employees count as Broadway's economic contribution. Ditto for Broadway's suppliers

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:44 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I already explained to you why it's not.

Nope. You brought up the costs incurred by the city in its everyday running.

What you should do now is show how much tax Broadway pays in a normal year. City taxes, not state or federal. And if you like, show the taxes also paid by Broadway employees and suppliers. Again, only the city taxes.

But that would require you to look stuff up, wouldn't it?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:55 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I already explained to you why it's not.

What you should do now is show how much tax Broadway pays in a normal year. City taxes, not state or federal. And if you like, show the taxes also paid by Broadway employees and suppliers. Again, only the city taxes.

Economic contribution goes beyond just taxes. Tourism, for example also contributes to the economy. Explain to me how tax is the only contributer to the economy, and I'll conceed that you're correct. Also, as said earlier, Lumen's figures, not mine

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:04 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Economic contribution goes beyond just taxes. Tourism, for example also contributes to the economy. Explain to me how tax is the only contributer to the economy, and I'll conceed that you're correct. Also, as said earlier, Lumen's figures, not mine

OK, so let's see the figures accounting for those factors.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:06 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I have basically zero interest in whether you think I'm correct.

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Yeah let’s let broadway die and 4 billion dollars evaporates. That would have no effect on the city economy whatsoever

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:08 am

Vassenor wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Economic contribution goes beyond just taxes. Tourism, for example also contributes to the economy. Explain to me how tax is the only contributer to the economy, and I'll conceed that you're correct. Also, as said earlier, Lumen's figures, not mine

OK, so let's see the figures accounting for those factors.

Probably not $4 billion. Once again, Lumen's figures, not mine

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:09 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Economic contribution goes beyond just taxes. Tourism, for example also contributes to the economy. Explain to me how tax is the only contributer to the economy, and I'll conceed that you're correct. Also, as said earlier, Lumen's figures, not mine

I have basically zero interest in whether you think I'm correct.

Then why enter into a discussion with me?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:28 am

Good news on the vaccine front:

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12443640

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:42 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

That’s annual for nyc. The ripple effect of that would be massive

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:44 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

?

Try 800. It has been a returning theme for several parts of this thread.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:44 am

San Lumen wrote:A vaccine is going to be found. If not that a viable treatment and we won’t need any of the current measures anymore

I don't see how a vaccine will be found if antibodies don't last forever and reinfection is possible

The cdc already called the article that sparked this whole debate nonsense

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:50 am

San Lumen wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I don't see how a vaccine will be found if antibodies don't last forever and reinfection is possible

The cdc already called the article that sparked this whole debate nonsense

So the 5% number sis antibodies for 5% of the population. When you measured the infected. Only ~16% did not have antibodies. These non anti-bodied individuals tended to be people who showed no symptoms or only had very mild infections.

Never mind that antibodies are only a small part of the immune response. We have T cells and B cells that target specif pathogens.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General