NATION

PASSWORD

Coronavirus Thread IV: Legends, Laments and Lockdowns

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Have you or anyone in your vincinity been affected by COVID-19?

I don't know anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19
44%
I know someone was diagnosed with COVID-19
23%
Someone very close to me was diagnosed with COVID-19
6%
I know someone who was hospitalized with COVID-19
9%
Someone very close to me was hospitalized with COVID-19
4%
I was diagnosed with COVID-19
3%
I was hospitalized with COVID-19
1%
I don't know/unsure/other
8%

Total votes : 682

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:28 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
First is 9 days ago but initially sent for review back in May, the second is a Harvard article that references to this article, also published end of May.. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... nsmission/

And HK scientists warned of airborne transmission easily back in Feb/Mar..

So do you want organisations to promptly act on any prepublication ?

It's not acting per se, the point is they denied even the possibility of airborne transmission - I'm not expecting them to say it's definitively proven but at least be open to the possibility given the alerts being made to allow for precautions.

Given a pandemic, a degree of caution should be taken, if there's strongly growing evidence then I'd prefer the WHO err on the side of caution than deny, like they denied human to human transmission originally, the possibility.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:39 pm

Bombadil wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
So do you want organisations to promptly act on any prepublication ?

It's not acting per se, the point is they denied even the possibility of airborne transmission - I'm not expecting them to say it's definitively proven but at least be open to the possibility given the alerts being made to allow for precautions.

Given a pandemic, a degree of caution should be taken, if there's strongly growing evidence then I'd prefer the WHO err on the side of caution than deny, like they denied human to human transmission originally, the possibility.

They did not deny human to human transmission originally. The first statement they made was in fact:

According to the authorities, some patients were operating dealers or vendors in the Huanan Seafood market. Based on the preliminary information from the Chinese investigation team, no evidence of significant human-to-human transmission and no health care worker infections have been reported.

Which Trump and co later twisted to "they said it ould not be transferred from human to human".
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:55 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

They did not deny human to human transmission originally. The first statement they made was in fact:

According to the authorities, some patients were operating dealers or vendors in the Huanan Seafood market. Based on the preliminary information from the Chinese investigation team, no evidence of significant human-to-human transmission and no health care worker infections have been reported.

Which Trump and co later twisted to "they said it ould not be transferred from human to human".

Well.. there's you and I and there's general scientific opinion..

It’s only the latest chapter in an ongoing tug of war between the WHO and the rest of the public-health world. “This is one in a series of many miscues,” says Dr. Eric Topol, director and founder of the Scripps Research Translational Institute.

I'm not a fan of Trump leaving the WHO however it's not to say they've not been oddly reticent about being precautionary.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:07 am

Bombadil wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Both of those links are the same and they're from 9 days ago.

When was this submission (not pre-pubs which WHO should also be reading) but the actual submission which you think they're obliged to act on promptly ... made?

First is 9 days ago but initially sent for review back in May, the second is a Harvard article that references to this article, also published end of May.. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... nsmission/

And HK scientists warned of airborne transmission easily back in Feb/Mar..

About Air borne before in 29 March 2020They had studied the problem at that time.Unlike private research institutions, WHO needs to be more cautious in all their research.So their statements will be more conservative. But they had provide that information to the public.

To date, some scientific publications provide initial evidence on whether the COVID-19 virus can be detected in the air and thus, some news outlets have suggested that there has been airborne transmission. These initial findings need to be interpreted carefully.
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:12 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

And they quickly revised the statement.Statement on the second meeting of the International Health Regulations (2005) Emergency Committee regarding the outbreak of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV), in 2020/01/30.I think the WHO response is much faster than most countries
The WHO Secretariat provided an overview of the situation in other countries. There are now 83 cases in 18 countries. Of these, only 7 had no history of travel in China. There has been human-to-human transmission in 3 countries outside China. One of these cases is severe and there have been no deaths.
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:50 am

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-disagree-f ... 01814.html

And yet some would say Trump still isn't at fault for our shitty covid response in America.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:29 am

Rojava Free State wrote:https://news.yahoo.com/trump-disagree-fauci-covid-19-us-000301814.html

And yet some would say Trump still isn't at fault for our shitty covid response in America.

"Dr. Fauci said don't wear masks, now he says wear them," he continued, adding that the immunologist has "said numerous things" that according to Trump were bad advice.

"So we've done a good job. I think we are going to be in two, three, four weeks, by the time we next speak, I think we are going to be in very good shape," Trump added.

I remember very early on Fauci saying don't wear a mask (I think back in February or March), but that was before we knew what we knew what COVID-19 could do. He obviously has been recommending since Mid-March though. But to say he's "giving bad advice" clearly shows Trump's mindset. Christ, I have family that disapproves of Fauci, whom believe he's spreading the pandemic myth to calling him a "troll".
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:41 am

Zurkerx wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:https://news.yahoo.com/trump-disagree-fauci-covid-19-us-000301814.html

"Dr. Fauci said don't wear masks, now he says wear them," he continued, adding that the immunologist has "said numerous things" that according to Trump were bad advice.

"So we've done a good job. I think we are going to be in two, three, four weeks, by the time we next speak, I think we are going to be in very good shape," Trump added.

I remember very early on Fauci saying don't wear a mask (I think back in February or March), but that was before we knew what we knew what COVID-19 could do. He obviously has been recommending since Mid-March though. But to say he's "giving bad advice" clearly shows Trump's mindset. Christ, I have family that disapproves of Fauci, whom believe he's spreading the pandemic myth to calling him a "troll".

Trump continues to give bad advice. The difference between Trump and Fauci is that Fauci changed his view when the scientific evidence went against it, while Trump continues to use magical thinking and says "this is gonna go away soon, and we can reopen our economy cause I said so and I'm always right."
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:43 am

Regarding the airborne transmission, if true then it means that the particles in the air are much more likely to be smaller than the holes in the overwhelming majority of surgical masks that people are using, meaning that coronavirus will pass right through the mask, making them useless except in cases of a cough or a sneeze where the virus is in droplets instead.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:46 am

The New California Republic wrote:Regarding the airborne transmission, if true then it means that the particles in the air are much more likely to be smaller than the holes in the overwhelming majority of surgical masks that people are using, meaning that coronavirus will pass right through the mask, making them useless except in cases of a cough or a sneeze where the virus is in droplets instead.

So far I dont think scientists believe that there's clouds of covid just floating around waiting for you to walk through. The issue is that while sneezing may release large particles, smaller particles can be released even just by talking or breathing so you gotta be careful around people even if they have no symptoms.

We all probably would have gotten covid by this point if there were clouds of airborne viral particles that could infect you and penetrate masks.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:55 am

The New California Republic wrote:Regarding the airborne transmission, if true then it means that the particles in the air are much more likely to be smaller than the holes in the overwhelming majority of surgical masks that people are using, meaning that coronavirus will pass right through the mask, making them useless except in cases of a cough or a sneeze where the virus is in droplets instead.

Well, yes. Isn't that exactly why we are told to wear masks - to prevent our sneezes from getting droplets everywhere ?

That the non-surgical masks do not protect oneself and may even slightly increase the risk of personal infection was said from day 1.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:56 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

So far I dont think scientists believe that there's clouds of covid just floating around waiting for you to walk through. The issue is that while sneezing may release large particles, smaller particles can be released even just by talking or breathing so you gotta be careful around people even if they have no symptoms.

We all probably would have gotten covid by this point if there were clouds of airborne viral particles that could infect you and penetrate masks.

I didn't say there were clouds of it, but according to the scientists that are saying this, these small particles can linger in the air inside buildings and other enclosed spaces for hours, so using a mask inside a shop if someone coughed in there an hour before you arrived might not protect you.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:59 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

Well, yes. Isn't that exactly why we are told to wear masks - to prevent our sneezes from getting droplets everywhere ?

That the non-surgical masks do not protect oneself and may even slightly increase the risk of personal infection was said from day 1.

But again the scientists saying this are saying that even talking or breathing can produce these airborne particles which then linger in the air for hours. And if they can pass right through masks then it makes the masks next to useless.

Wave on, wave on

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:33 am

The New California Republic wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

But again the scientists saying this are saying that even talking or breathing can produce these airborne particles which then linger in the air for hours. And if they can pass right through masks then it makes the masks next to useless.

This isn't new though. Months back scientists were saying that the safe distance around someone breathing hard, like a runner, went from 2m to 10m. It's the reason the British government has held off on opening gyms.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:02 am

Fartsniffage wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:But again the scientists saying this are saying that even talking or breathing can produce these airborne particles which then linger in the air for hours. And if they can pass right through masks then it makes the masks next to useless.

This isn't new though. Months back scientists were saying that the safe distance around someone breathing hard, like a runner, went from 2m to 10m. It's the reason the British government has held off on opening gyms.

Yes I know, but it makes me wonder how sensible the likes of Sturgeon and her ilk are when they are making facemasks in shops mandatory from Friday onward.

I mean, I knew Sturgeon wasn't sensible, but still...

Wave on, wave on

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:51 am

The New California Republic wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Well no, the masks *slightly* protect society. The keyword is slightly - on their own they are far from sufficient. Complete lockdown and isolation would be; but governments are trying to find a balance where some living is still possible.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:35 am

So apparently according to the family wearing masks is equivalent to women in Muslim majority nations being forced to wear burkas and hijabs.

Sometimes I wonder if I was adopted
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:42 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:But again the scientists saying this are saying that even talking or breathing can produce these airborne particles which then linger in the air for hours. And if they can pass right through masks then it makes the masks next to useless.

Well no, the masks *slightly* protect society. The keyword is slightly - on their own they are far from sufficient. Complete lockdown and isolation would be; but governments are trying to find a balance where some living is still possible.

And slightly less if what is now being said is true.

Wave on, wave on

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:48 am

Thermodolia wrote:So apparently according to the family wearing masks is equivalent to women in Muslim majority nations being forced to wear burkas and hijabs.

They should try out for the Olympics one day. With all that mentaal gymnastics they are doing they would surely take gold place
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:49 am

Thermodolia wrote:So apparently according to the family wearing masks is equivalent to women in Muslim majority nations being forced to wear burkas and hijabs.

And your family is Jewish? Those are the most redneckish Jews I've ever heard of besides my step uncle Henry Oliner.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:24 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:

And your family is Jewish? Those are the most redneckish Jews I've ever heard of besides my step uncle Henry Oliner.

Orthodox?
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:24 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Orthodox?

I said redneckish. Not conservative alone.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:39 pm

The county I live in has been added to California's Coronavirus Watch List, which means our reopening process will be rolled back and halted for at least three weeks.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:43 pm

Wonder or hoping?

Pretty sad. I have relatives like that so I understand.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General