NATION

PASSWORD

Coronavirus Thread IV: Legends, Laments and Lockdowns

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Have you or anyone in your vincinity been affected by COVID-19?

I don't know anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19
44%
I know someone was diagnosed with COVID-19
23%
Someone very close to me was diagnosed with COVID-19
6%
I know someone who was hospitalized with COVID-19
9%
Someone very close to me was hospitalized with COVID-19
4%
I was diagnosed with COVID-19
3%
I was hospitalized with COVID-19
1%
I don't know/unsure/other
8%

Total votes : 682

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:33 am

Rijkenlandd wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Honestly these people are as bad as the ones who blindly scream at people questioning the need to vaccinate people. Like, do some research of your OWN, sheeple.

please tell me this comes across the way i'm intending im not an antivaxxer i swear

Vaccination is good. But you know what else is? Building up an immune system.

That's not how immune systems work. "Building up an immune system" is essentially a myth.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:35 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Rijkenlandd wrote:

That's not how immune systems work. "Building up an immune system" is essentially a myth.

But that's not what their 5th Grade science teacher taught them so it must be wrong.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:35 am

Fartsniffage wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Not to mention there is no airborne virus with a mortality rate that high and the odds of one are very unlikely

Not a virus but pneumonic plague is a thing. We just know how to treat it.

Also, septicaemic plague (the same bacteria, but a systemic infection), which is 100% fatal if not treated within 24 hours.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:40 am

San Lumen wrote:
Post War America wrote:
If that was your take, then I insist you get better reading comprehension skills.

I expressed that it would be hard to recover, and I stand by that. Hard however, is literally infinitely more achievable than impossible. Quite frankly, as long as we determine the distribution of goods and services by the interests of capital, it was going to be rough going.

It would take decades and would be worse than just letting it run its course.

With sufficiently aggressive measures, eradicating the virus would have taken a month or so. Feel free to criticise the half-measures the US took all you like, but "it would take decades to wipe the virus out no matter what" isn't a reasonable line by which to do so.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:43 am

San Lumen wrote:
Post War America wrote:
No it would not. If we let it run its course, millions of consumers will be permanently pulled out of the economy. Not at a greatly reduced consumptive capacity (even homeless, jobless, people will contribute at least a few dollars a year to the economy), a total loss of contribution. Not for days, months, or years, forever. This is on top of those who will lose their jobs, not in place of. That happens, those with sense will self-isolate and lead to a de-facto lockdown as well.

And it took decades to recover from Spanish Flu right? The 1920s were such an awful time

You're arguing against yourself, here: the Spanish Flu was fought with very similar methods to what we've used against this pandemic, and areas which applied them for longer/more strongly did better.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Nevertopia
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:55 am

Why do Americans think Covid-19 is a hoax? The CDC, WHO and the international community have all acknowledged it as a legitimate pandemic yet when it comes to America instead of properly dealing with it such as adhering to social distancing and wearing masks, those methods are seen as an affront to civil liberties or that stopping the pandemic would be too much of a financial burden for one of the richest nations on the planet?
So the CCP won't let me be or let me be me so let me see, they tried to shut me down on CBC but it feels so empty without me.
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:00 am

Nevertopia wrote:Why do Americans think Covid-19 is a hoax? The CDC, WHO and the international community have all acknowledged it as a legitimate pandemic yet when it comes to America instead of properly dealing with it such as adhering to social distancing and wearing masks, those methods are seen as an affront to civil liberties or that stopping the pandemic would be too much of a financial burden for one of the richest nations on the planet?

Because Trump said it was a hoax to destroy his reelection campaign and his cult brought into it like every other lie he spouted.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Nevertopia
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:16 am

Vassenor wrote:
Nevertopia wrote:Why do Americans think Covid-19 is a hoax? The CDC, WHO and the international community have all acknowledged it as a legitimate pandemic yet when it comes to America instead of properly dealing with it such as adhering to social distancing and wearing masks, those methods are seen as an affront to civil liberties or that stopping the pandemic would be too much of a financial burden for one of the richest nations on the planet?

Because Trump said it was a hoax to destroy his reelection campaign and his cult brought into it like every other lie he spouted.

but why do his followers BELIEVE him? If I went outside and started telling everyone the sky was purple nobody would believe me, but Agent Orange here goes against all the leading experts and suddenly theres a conspiracy to simply make him look bad?
So the CCP won't let me be or let me be me so let me see, they tried to shut me down on CBC but it feels so empty without me.
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:26 am

Nevertopia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

but why do his followers BELIEVE him? If I went outside and started telling everyone the sky was purple nobody would believe me, but Agent Orange here goes against all the leading experts and suddenly theres a conspiracy to simply make him look bad?

You do realise that the statement "the sky is purple" technically is more correct than "the sky is blue" ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:41 am

Maybe they habitually think that everything they don't understand is a hoax.Like today in the UK, there was a demonstration against masks, 5g and vaccines.If you try to explain to them how these things work, they'll start laughing at you
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:22 am

Because people on average are incredibly stupid.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Northern Izmir
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Izmir » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:29 am

Vassenor wrote:

I thought that he meant that his opposition being afraid of it was a hoax to bring him down. That is what I got from this video. Apart from that, there's something really funny about the fact that some Americans would think that it is a hoax. Especially considering how in other countries most conspiracy theorists blame the US or China for ''manufacturing'' the virus. Debate with them an it is almost always one of these two countries.
Last edited by Northern Izmir on Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:52 am

Nevertopia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

My theory is a combination of Trump normalizing their negative views, liberal salt addiction, sunk cost fallacy, and suseptibility to a con artist's huckster pitch.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:55 am

Woohoo 500 pages. Good work coro ... *cough* ... damn you to virus hell, coronavirus.

I thought this was going to be a good year, then it wasn't. But that's happened before, and for sure I've had worse in 56 years.

It must be so much worse for young people. I have no advice. Nothing in my experience that is quite like this.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:10 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Rijkenlandd wrote:

Here is an article in US News (2019) that says otherwise, arguing our society has grown too sterile and that due to everything being sanitized and everyone living in such sterile environments all the time, our immune systems are thus not what they could be. The whole article argues that greater exposure to certain microbes, especially earlier in life, leads to a lower chance of getting sick overall because our bodies are used to more things and can fight through them better, and most microbes are actually helpful for us anyway yet are still killed by these cleaning products. If we aren't exposed to anything, our own microbiome of good microbes inside our bodies aren't as well developed, and we don't have immunity to nearly as much from having fought through it either. This is in line with what I have believed my entire life.

Plus, there are stories of Spanish flu survivors, like this 102-year-old New Hampshire woman, who have now survived COVID too. I'm not implying causation, but could there be a chance that having survived the former makes you more resilient against the latter, even despite advanced age?
Nevertopia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Nice political nickname.
Last edited by Ghost Land on Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:39 am

Ghost Land wrote:
Nevertopia wrote:

Nice political nickname.

But Orange Man is apparently fine as long as you support him.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:57 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Woohoo 500 pages. Good work coro ... *cough* ... damn you to virus hell, coronavirus.

I thought this was going to be a good year, then it wasn't. But that's happened before, and for sure I've had worse in 56 years.

It must be so much worse for young people. I have no advice. Nothing in my experience that is quite like this.

I'm actually kind of happy this happened right when I finished high school, because it merely widens the gap between that and college. If I hadn't repeated a grade years ago, my first year at college would have been interrupted by this, which would've been a lot harder to deal with.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Northern Izmir
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Izmir » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:12 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Woohoo 500 pages. Good work coro ... *cough* ... damn you to virus hell, coronavirus.

I'm actually kind of happy this happened right when I finished high school, because it merely widens the gap between that and college. If I hadn't repeated a grade years ago, my first year at college would have been interrupted by this, which would've been a lot harder to deal with.

Yeah, my first year at college is actually interrupted by this and it's pretty bad, but at least we switched to online lessons instead of just spending the semestr absent.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:17 am

Northern Izmir wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:I'm actually kind of happy this happened right when I finished high school, because it merely widens the gap between that and college. If I hadn't repeated a grade years ago, my first year at college would have been interrupted by this, which would've been a lot harder to deal with.

Yeah, my first year at college is actually interrupted by this and it's pretty bad, but at least we switched to online lessons instead of just spending the semestr absent.

It's good that you were able to get the online lessons.

It would've been terrible if the whole semester had been entirely wasted.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:24 am

Ghost Land wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Here is an article in US News (2019) that says otherwise, arguing our society has grown too sterile and that due to everything being sanitized and everyone living in such sterile environments all the time, our immune systems are thus not what they could be. The whole article argues that greater exposure to certain microbes, especially earlier in life, leads to a lower chance of getting sick overall because our bodies are used to more things and can fight through them better, and most microbes are actually helpful for us anyway yet are still killed by these cleaning products. If we aren't exposed to anything, our own microbiome of good microbes inside our bodies aren't as well developed, and we don't have immunity to nearly as much from having fought through it either. This is in line with what I have believed my entire life.

Reality neither cares about US news media nor your beliefs.

Plus, there are stories of Spanish flu survivors, like this 102-year-old New Hampshire woman, who have now survived COVID too. I'm not implying causation, but could there be a chance that having survived the former makes you more resilient against the latter, even despite advanced age?

No. That's not just not a causation. It's not even a correllation. It's a fucking anecdote. There is no mechanism by which having had one variety of influenza over a century ago could possibly make you more resilient against a coronavirus infection.

Nevertopia wrote:

Nice political nickname.

Report it, don't whine about it.
Last edited by Salandriagado on Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:26 am

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronaviru ... story.html

The Bahamas has announced US travelers are no longer allowed to visit. Having a is passport is now essentially worthless as there are almost no countries US citizens can enter and likely will remain that way for years. Thanks Trump.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:40 am

San Lumen wrote:https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-bahamas-close-borders-to-travelers-from-united-states-20200720-mdw4dm24e5gwhj4ck3hltnmtpu-story.html

The Bahamas has announced US travelers are no longer allowed to visit. Having a is passport is now essentially worthless as there are almost no countries US citizens can enter and likely will remain that way for years. Thanks Trump.

Silver lining, you can let your passport expire and not worry about buying a new one for a few years.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:41 am

A coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford appears safe and trains the immune system.

Trials involving around 1,077 people showed the injection led to them making antibodies and white blood cells that can fight coronavirus.

The findings are hugely promising, but it is still too soon to know if this is enough to offer protection and larger trials are under way.

The UK has already ordered 100 million doses of the vaccine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53469839
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:44 am

Ifreann wrote:
San Lumen wrote:https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-bahamas-close-borders-to-travelers-from-united-states-20200720-mdw4dm24e5gwhj4ck3hltnmtpu-story.html

Silver lining, you can let your passport expire and not worry about buying a new one for a few years.

Mine doesn’t expire for several years , hopefully this is over with by then
Last edited by San Lumen on Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:48 am

The New California Republic wrote:
A coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford appears safe and trains the immune system.

Trials involving around 1,077 people showed the injection led to them making antibodies and white blood cells that can fight coronavirus.

The findings are hugely promising, but it is still too soon to know if this is enough to offer protection and larger trials are under way.

The UK has already ordered 100 million doses of the vaccine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53469839

Sounds good, but I'm a little worried that Boris might bollocks it up somehow.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General