NATION

PASSWORD

What Would It Take for You to Vote for Biden?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How do you plan to vote? (Someone asked for this poll)

Biden (because I support Biden)
8%
Biden (because he's the lesser of two evils)
19%
Trump (for some reason)
20%
Third Party (or Independent)
9%
Write-In (maybe Bernie)
2%
I don't know right now
2%
I don't know (but I am not voting for Biden and/or Trump)
2%
I don't plan to vote
2%
I am against electoral politics
4%
I can't vote (under voting age, not a citizen, disenfrancisement, etc...)
32%

Total votes : 1342

Mirjt
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Sat May 02, 2020 6:31 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Ankenland wrote:
Bernie Sanders write-in would be a clearer message.

I'm not wasting my vote for Bernie Sanders. Writing in his name won't make me laugh.

I understand your desire for a protest vote (one with humorous effect), though in order for any such naming jest to be reported in the media, that name must first be written-in, and in many states if someone has not filled the paperwork to be considered a write-in candidate, anyone who writes in that candidate will have their entire ballot (including down ballot) tossed out. I find it unlikely that anyone as filed the paperwork for "my left nut" to be a write-in candidate.
About Me | RL Politics | Likes/Dislikes (WIP) | Mirjt's Stance on NS Stats | Mirjt's Factbooks
I'm back from my break from NationStates (though I may take another at any time)
I'm on an SSRI anti-depressant now.

“Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” ― Eugene V. Debs

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat May 02, 2020 6:33 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Ok then. Enjoy trump.

It's not like we didn't warn you, you should have learned from 2016. Oh well lol

Feels like my words are just going in one ear and right out the other. Stop trying to guilt trip me.

*shrugs* I’m not one for guilt trips.

Even then they won’t work on a mentality of unless you give me Bernie I will support somebody who has no hope in hell of winning and you can’t blame me if trump wins again.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat May 02, 2020 6:34 pm

Mirjt wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
I'm not wasting my vote for Bernie Sanders. Writing in his name won't make me laugh.

I understand your desire for a protest vote (one with humorous effect), though in order for any such naming jest to be reported in the media, that name must first be written-in, and in many states if someone has not filled the paperwork to be considered a write-in candidate, anyone who writes in that candidate will have their entire ballot (including down ballot) tossed out. I find it unlikely that anyone as filed the paperwork for "my left nut" to be a write-in candidate.

Not with that attitude.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat May 02, 2020 6:38 pm

Ors Might wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Ok then. Enjoy trump.

People voting for the Greens isn’t going to help Trump win. California isn’t going to go red so you can drop the cringeworthy attempt at guilt tripping.

*shrugs* voting for somebody who will never win is basically supporting whomever wins. Thinking it’s a protest vote? Probably won’t even be noticed much and it helps keep the status quo in DC.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat May 02, 2020 6:42 pm

I don't think Joe Biden is necessarily there to win but rather to maintain order and a sense of status quo, appeasing the electorate. I don't expect him to win because the progressive wing of the Democratic Party demands far more than he offers in terms of policy and that's a significant bloc of voters. Rhetoric aside, President Trump is likewise no threat to the economic status quo as it currently exists.

With two status-quo candidates running against one another, I expect Trump to win given that he has the incumbent advantage.
Last edited by Sundiata on Sat May 02, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat May 02, 2020 6:43 pm

Atheris wrote:
Mirjt wrote:
There is an effort from organizations like Swing Left (https://swingleft.org/) to flip red states blue, and Texas is one of their goals.

Trying to flip Texas blue is like trying to stop Italy from switching sides.

Regardless, this is another reason why I support NatPoVoInterCo.

Oh only a fool will think Texas would change to blue. Now purple? It’s done that before.....

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Sat May 02, 2020 6:48 pm

Sundiata wrote:I don't think Joe Biden is necessarily there to win but rather to maintain order and a sense of status quo, appeasing the electorate. I don't expect him to win because the progressive wing of the Democratic Party demands far more than he's offers in terms of policy and that's a significant bloc of voters. Rhetoric aside, President Trump is likewise no threat to the economic status quo as it currently exists.

With two status-quo candidates running against one another, I expect Trump to win given that he has the incumbent advantage.

Where do you think he's picked up votes? He fluked 3 states with 72,000 votes between them, he lost the overall vote by some 3 million votes.

Where has he picked up votes?

A lot of those who voted him were as much voting against Hillary Clinton, this won't be so much the case this year. I really can't see him winning but lord knows this is America, and a week is a long time in politics.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

-SARS-
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby -SARS- » Sat May 02, 2020 6:51 pm

Ankenland wrote:
-SARS- wrote:That would be fun. Too bad viruses can't vote cos I would definitely vote for your left nut.

Bernie Sanders write-in would be a clearer message.

Nowhere near as funny.

And besides, I am pretty sure my endorsement has negative value if I offered serious support for a professional politician.
This nation is made with pure 100% all-natural SARS. Non-GMO, gluten-free, and ZERO ADDED SUGAR!

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat May 02, 2020 6:57 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Sundiata wrote:I don't think Joe Biden is necessarily there to win but rather to maintain order and a sense of status quo, appeasing the electorate. I don't expect him to win because the progressive wing of the Democratic Party demands far more than he's offers in terms of policy and that's a significant bloc of voters. Rhetoric aside, President Trump is likewise no threat to the economic status quo as it currently exists.

Where do you think he's picked up votes? He fluked 3 states with 72,000 votes between them, he lost the overall vote by some 3 million votes.

A lot of those who voted him were as much voting against Hillary Clinton, this won't be so much the case this year. I really can't see him winning but lord knows this is America, and a week is a long time in politics.

Generally speaking, less populous States and swing States. That's all that's needed to win the electoral college.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sat May 02, 2020 7:01 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Generally speaking, less populous States and swing States. That's all that's needed to win the electoral college.

Less populous states tend to be Republican regardless, I've long given up on Florida and Ohio but they're not actually required. I suspect a lot of moderates and independents who could not bring themselves to vote for Clinton will pretty much vote for anyone other than Trump now.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Sat May 02, 2020 7:03 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:
It's not like we didn't warn you, you should have learned from 2016. Oh well lol

Feels like my words are just going in one ear and right out the other. Stop trying to guilt trip me.

Even then they won’t work on a mentality of unless you give me Bernie I will support somebody who has no hope in hell of winning and you can’t blame me if trump wins again.

You seem to think I'm some loyal Democrat who's just stubbornly refusing to vote for Biden because he's not my first choice. I don't politically align with Democrats. I'm not a Democrat or a Republican, I'm a proletarian. As a proletarian, I refuse to back your bourgeois candidate.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat May 02, 2020 7:05 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

You seem to think I'm some loyal Democrat who's just stubbornly refusing to vote for Biden because he's not my first choice. I don't politically align with Democrats. I'm not a Democrat or a Republican, I'm a proletarian. As a proletarian, I refuse to back your bourgeois candidate.

cursed
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sat May 02, 2020 7:05 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

All candidates are bourgeois in every election. We live in a dictatorship of the bourgeois, that some are class traitors and are sympathetic to causes larger than themselves doesn't change that fact.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat May 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

If I was going to declare you a loyal democrat; I would have mentioned it.

I’m not even a democrat.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat May 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:

All candidates are bourgeois in every election. We live in a dictatorship of the bourgeois, that some are class traitors and are sympathetic to causes larger than themselves doesn't change that fact.

You think a “man of the people” candidate can win?

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat May 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Generally speaking, less populous States and swing States. That's all that's needed to win the electoral college.

Less populous states tend to be Republican regardless, I've long given up on Florida and Ohio but they're not actually required. I suspect a lot of moderates and independents who could not bring themselves to vote for Clinton will pretty much vote for anyone other than Trump now.

I expect moderates and independents not to vote or have low voter turnout, securing a Trump electoral college victory.
Last edited by Sundiata on Sat May 02, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Nolo gap
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Nolo gap » Sat May 02, 2020 7:13 pm

the point is moot. i'll vote for any dog in the car who isn't named trump.

its unfortunate we have biden because trump picked him by picking on him so he could have an opponent he might be able to beat.
more acurately his russian mafia puppetmesters did, but that's saying the same thing.

i'm more interested in issues then personalities, because they have more to do with the kind of world we all have to live in.
and it is that, not flaws of personality, that are why the tird on the chair behind the desk is such a disaster.

hillary wasn't my first choice either, but to hell with personality, look at where we are and where we wouldn't be if she had won.
all trump ever gave us were the occasional big numbers on wall street, and those go up and come down,
depending on the phase of the moon and which way someone farts.

all i ask of biden is to not be as tin foil hat loonie as the disaster we currently have.
and i do believe, that is the one thing he will prove to be good at.

and he can still pick someone like liz or burnie for number two, and there's more then them to pick from who would make good choices too.
warren could still serve in an economic advisory capacity. she's be way better at it then i ever could.

personally i'm more interested in little people sized trains, people being allowed to build little people sized houses for themselves without having to indenture themselves in a big way, in little furry creatures in my garden, in not having to be a one percenter to even have a garden, people need to be odd, not awed.

Sylh Alanor
Envoy

Founded: May 10, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sylh Alanor » Sat May 02, 2020 7:13 pm

Mirjt wrote:
Atheris wrote:Can we write-in Harambe again? I miss my main monkey man.

I miss when zoo animal treatment (not immigrants in cages) was one of the more serious issues. Though to be fair, homelessness, hunger, poverty, various upcoming crisis were issues too, just no one in mainstream media (or most politicians) paid attention to them.

I know this is going a bit off-topic, and I can't vote in a US election anyway, but you touched on something that I've experienced recently and I wanted to share.

So in BC (Canada), we have a provincial government made up of a pseudo-coalition between the NDP (leftist/social democrat party) and Green parties. When they made the deal to form the government, a lot of us who are interested in policies from both parties were super excited. But instead, they've tempered the best qualities of each other and made, essentially, a basic BC Liberal government. So on the Provincial/Municipal level, a new party has formed that's gotten me really excited, the BC Eco-Socialist Party. It's working with labour unions and activists all over the province to give them a platform and run on their specific issues, while supporting each other and interweaving the messages. So even if I vote NDP/Green for federal elections depending on which candidate is better, I know that I can still vote purely with my conscience locally.

I just wanted to share that it's sometimes much more rewarding to look at your local politics and work on the things that you care about there. If you can find a green-left party there, they're likely to be interested in all of the issues you mentioned. Environmentalism, animal rights, homelessness, hunger, poverty, and who knows how many other things. Even if it's only for local school committees or city councils, it might make your federal politics a little easier to stomach.
Councillor of Culture, Refugia
she/her

Deruuu Fanclub
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Deruuu Fanclub » Sat May 02, 2020 7:15 pm

i vote for biden because i support biden.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sat May 02, 2020 7:15 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

I expect moderates and independents not to vote or have low voter turnout, securing a Trump electoral college victory.

I think you underestimate the extent to which a lot of people are sick and tired of Trump being in their faces all day long spouting bullshit and generally embarrassing America.

十年

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat May 02, 2020 7:17 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Sundiata wrote:I expect moderates and independents not to vote or have low voter turnout, securing a Trump electoral college victory.

I think you underestimate the extent to which a lot of people are sick and tired of Trump being in their faces all day long spouting bullshit and generally embarrassing America.

And friends and relatives dying off because their state didn't kiss enough orange ass to get PPEs snd ventilators.
Last edited by Gormwood on Sat May 02, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Sat May 02, 2020 7:23 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Ors Might wrote:People voting for the Greens isn’t going to help Trump win. California isn’t going to go red so you can drop the cringeworthy attempt at guilt tripping.

*shrugs* voting for somebody who will never win is basically supporting whomever wins. Thinking it’s a protest vote? Probably won’t even be noticed much and it helps keep the status quo in DC.

Voting for someone who will never win is not supporting whomever wins. That’s completely inane.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Sat May 02, 2020 7:23 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:If I was going to declare you a loyal democrat; I would have mentioned it.
I’m not even a democrat.

You certainly seem attached to Biden
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Sat May 02, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat May 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Ors Might wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Voting for someone who will never win is not supporting whomever wins. That’s completely inane.

*shrugs* not really.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat May 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Ors Might wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

It's forfeiting the game to the winner. Same difference.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General