NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XIX: Hambergers, Noble Prizes, & Disinfectant

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:37 pm

Andsed wrote:
Kowani wrote:Trump is pretty much just the Reagan of the 21st century tho-

I am not exactly familiar with Reagan but I am pretty sure he would find that very insulting.

Let's compare:

TrumpReagan
Little Political Experience Upon Taking OfficeXX
Elected in a wave of right-populismXX
Succeeded an incumbent loved by liberals, "ok" to othersXX
"Make America Great"XX
Shitty & StupidTM foreign policyXX
Known as a media presence before politicsXX
Traitors to the countryXX
Decent hairX
OrangeX
Popular voteX
"What the fuck were we thinking?!"XX
Recession and bad economicsXX
Racist but keeps the quiet parts quietX
Racist but less quietX
Would like you to think they're StrongmenTMXX

Yep. Pretty much the same.

EDIT: Also making a table on this site is gross and nobody should ever do it.
Last edited by Valrifell on Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
Good. I dont think Ronald Reagan was Trump but he was a shitty enough president to deserve that insult.

Reagan wasn't a self-pitying crybaby who aired his grievances like every day was Festivus. But he died of Alzheimer's and so did Fred Trump Sr. Which just means it'll be a mess in the future.

Self pitying he was not. But he was an anti poor crusader and he armed terroristic jihadi nuts in Afghanistan. Also he was one of the architects of the war on drugs. As I said, not good.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:40 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Reagan wasn't a self-pitying crybaby who aired his grievances like every day was Festivus. But he died of Alzheimer's and so did Fred Trump Sr. Which just means it'll be a mess in the future.

Self pitying he was not. But he was an anti poor crusader and he armed terroristic jihadi nuts in Afghanistan. Also he was one of the architects of the war on drugs. As I said, not good.

Is it just me, or do some of the biggest assholes in history that make it to old age tend to have their brains eaten by Alzheimer's?
Last edited by Gormwood on Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:42 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Is it just me, or do some of the biggest assholes in history that make it to old age tend to have their brains eaten by Alzheimer's?

I think it's a function of age and not assholery.

Then again, Olivia de Havilland, who just died at 104, was still sharp as a tack.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:43 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

I guess all that hate causes the body to decay faster.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:43 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Is it just me, or do some of the biggest assholes in history that make it to old age tend to have their brains eaten by Alzheimer's?

I think it's a function of age and not assholery.

Then again, Olivia de Havilland, who just died at 104, was still sharp as a tack.

Was she a major asshole though?
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:44 pm

Speaking of alzheimers, it would be hella ironic if Trump came down with it during the election, considering it's been his main plan of attack against Biden.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:48 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:Speaking of alzheimers, it would be hella ironic if Trump came down with it during the election, considering it's been his main plan of attack against Biden.

He has a gift for projecting years into the future. And it runs in his family. Two strikes there.
Last edited by Gormwood on Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:55 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I think it's a function of age and not assholery.

Was she a major asshole though?

Jack Warner probably thought she was a fucking bitch.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:56 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Andsed wrote:I am not exactly familiar with Reagan but I am pretty sure he would find that very insulting.

Let's compare:

TrumpReagan
"Make America Great"XX
Decent hairX
OrangeX
Popular voteX
Racist but less quietX

Not exactly an accurate comparison but I suppose revisionism has its uses.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:06 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Let's compare:

TrumpReagan
"Make America Great"XX
Decent hairX
OrangeX
Popular voteX
Racist but less quietX

It makes efforts to undo Reagan's policy more mainstream and popular if I compare him to current very unpopular President Trump. Together, we can reverse the image of Saint Reagan and cast him out of the canon of Good Presidents.
Last edited by Valrifell on Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:06 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Let's compare:

TrumpReagan
"Make America Great"XX
Decent hairX
OrangeX
Popular voteX
Racist but less quietX

It's pretty accurate, actually.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:07 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Not exactly an accurate comparison but I suppose revisionism has its uses.

It makes efforts to undo Reagan's policy more mainstream and popular if I compare him to current very unpopular President Trump. Together, we can reverse the image of Saint Reagan and cast him out of the canon of Good Presidents.

I mean. He's not that unpopular. To be honest, most of the people who don't like him know literally nothing about him.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:09 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Not exactly an accurate comparison but I suppose revisionism has its uses.

It's pretty accurate, actually.

Only if one assumed the worst interpretation of Reagan by liberals were true. It's almost as absurd as holding Reagan to be sinless.
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:10 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Cisairse wrote:It's pretty accurate, actually.

Only if one assumed the worst interpretation of Reagan by liberals were true. It's almost as absurd as holding Reagan to be sinless.

It's pretty objective that Reagan destroyed the economy and sacrificed a generation of working-class Americans while engaging in rampant corruption and committing war crimes
Last edited by Cisairse on Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:30 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Only if one assumed the worst interpretation of Reagan by liberals were true. It's almost as absurd as holding Reagan to be sinless.

It's pretty objective that Reagan destroyed the economy and sacrificed a generation of working-class Americans while engaging in rampant corruption and committing war crimes

Reagan did not destroy the economy. As for corruption, I can't really complain about Iran-Contra.
War crimes are a standard feature of the modern imperial presidency.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:31 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

I mean. He's not that unpopular. To be honest, most of the people who don't like him know literally nothing about him.

Don't know much about him? I feel like the people who like him are the ones who don't know him.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:31 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Cisairse wrote:It's pretty objective that Reagan destroyed the economy and sacrificed a generation of working-class Americans while engaging in rampant corruption and committing war crimes

Reagan did not destroy the economy. As for corruption, I can't really complain about Iran-Contra.
War crimes are a standard feature of the modern imperial presidency.

That just means he wasn't alone in being shitty.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:37 pm

Valrifell wrote:

I mean. He's not that unpopular.

I know. Did you read the post you resonded to? I take issue with the undue praise Reagan receives, but for that to be true he would have to be praised a lot. IE be popular.

be honest, most of the people who don't like him know literally nothing about him.

If people knew nothing they'd adopt a neutral "idgaf" attitude, which is what I observe in most people. Nobody is really talking about the sins of Reagan. Anyone who is knows at least quite a bit more than "nothing". But, I digress.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:22 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:Reagan did not destroy the economy.

Uh, have you been asleep since 1983?

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:23 pm

Valrifell wrote:

Nice sweeping generalization. Seriously; how could anybody who dealt with AIDs or downsized would think ill of him.

Anyway. If Reagan was around today; the trumpests would turn on him the moment he said anything about Trump violating his 11th commandment.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:11 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Reagan did not destroy the economy.

I wish, but I find the notion that Reagan destroyed the economy to be absurd. It would require us to ignore Congress and the previous administration. The recession at the start of his presidency can be directly attributed to the stagflation period. I think Reagan managed it fairly well, as the economy was in decent shape when he left office.

In other news, presidents are unfairly blamed for the economy far too often.

Gravlen
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 01, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Gravlen » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:15 pm

Galloism wrote:
Gravlen wrote:But you're unable to articulate why. Got it.

I can - the combination of the 1st and 14th amendment makes it extremely suspicious for churches to be under greater restrictions than casinos, bowling alleys, gyms, etc.

I'm not saying there weren't legitimate arguments on the other side, but I was bored and tried to get more of an answer than "I support Trump, let's respect all opinions, Republicans I've talked to agree with me" on the question of why he wanted Roberts to join the "Republican" justices.
EnragedMaldivians wrote:That's preposterous. Gravlens's not a white nationalist; Gravlen's a penguin.

Unio de Sovetaj Socialismaj Respublikoj wrote:There is no use arguing the definition of murder with someone who has a picture of a penguin with a chainsaw as their nations flag.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:16 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Cisairse wrote:

I wish, but I find the notion that Reagan destroyed the economy to be absurd. It would require us to ignore Congress and the previous administration. The recession at the start of his presidency can be directly attributed to the stagflation period. I think Reagan managed it fairly well, as the economy was in decent shape when he left office.

In other news, presidents are unfairly blamed for the economy far too often.

Reaganomics, a policy that literally is named after Ronald Reagan, is what caused the stock market crash of '87 as well as being the reason why wages have remained flat since the 1980s. It's also a big part of the '08 economic meltdown.

Fahran
Forum Moderator

Founded: Nov 13, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Fahran » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:16 pm

Reagan is still remembered very fondly by a lot of people, largely because he was probably one of our last great orators and presided over a period when we remained dominant and had a clear foreign policy aim. He was also a good deal more moderate than a lot of folks make him out to be and won reelection in one of the largest landslides in history in terms of the Electoral College vote. And, in spite of his flaws, he had the luxury of succeeding the inept Carter and preceding the unpopular Bush Sr.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General