NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XIX: Hambergers, Noble Prizes, & Disinfectant

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:22 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
So if we regulate the little guy suffers and if we don’t the big companies will treat them nice?

The point is that we shouldn't moralize economics excessively. The big companies can survive regulations that the small business cannot.

No regulations are not the answer. You say you want to turn it over to the companies and they will eat the little guys quick.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:23 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:The point is that we shouldn't moralize economics excessively. The big companies can survive regulations that the small business cannot.

No regulations are not the answer. You say you want to turn it over to the companies and they will eat the little guys quick.

He obviously assumes he will be an owner of such a company.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:28 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:The point is that we shouldn't moralize economics excessively. The big companies can survive regulations that the small business cannot.

If the Invisible Hand moves in that direction, so be it. I will not interfere.
Gormwood wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

He obviously assumes he will be an owner of such a company.

Goodness, I don't have the personality to run a business. That's an extrovert's job, not mine.
The Black Forrest wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:I see nothing wrong with this.

That’s fine. We can establish departure taxes.

I will root for businesses to get creative in how they dodge it.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:34 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Longing to live in Dickensian England or the Gilded Age I see.

Gormwood wrote:He obviously assumes he will be an owner of such a company.

Goodness, I don't have the personality to run a business. That's an extrovert's job, not mine.

Or a majority shareholder, some rationale for being pro laissez-faire with no obvious benefit for you doing so.

The Black Forrest wrote:That’s fine. We can establish departure taxes.

Rooting for Tax Evasion and Tax Fraud. Nice.
Last edited by Gormwood on Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:37 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Gormwood wrote:He obviously assumes he will be an owner of such a company.

The Black Forrest wrote:
That’s fine. We can establish departure taxes.

That’s ok. People who think like you are small in number. Your dream unfortunately will never happen.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:41 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:If the Invisible Hand moves in that direction, so be it. I will not interfere.

Longing to live in Dickensian England or the Gilded Age I see.

Or a majority shareholder, some rationale for being pro laissez-faire with no obvious benefit for you doing so.

People have a very wrong perception of the Gilded Age. I miss the old Titans of Industry. As for tax evasion/fraud, there is nothing wrong with it from a libertarian viewpoint.
The Black Forrest wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:If the Invisible Hand moves in that direction, so be it. I will not interfere.

That’s ok. People who think like you are small in number. Your dream unfortunately will never happen.

You say this with such certainty. I do not have to see my dream in my lifetime.
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:43 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Longing to live in Dickensian England or the Gilded Age I see.

People have a very wrong perception of the Gilded Age. I miss the old Titans of Industry. As for tax evasion/fraud, there is nothing wrong with it from a libertarian viewpoint.
The Black Forrest wrote:

Ok. You will never see your dream of a completely free market.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:48 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:People have a very wrong perception of the Gilded Age. I miss the old Titans of Industry. As for tax evasion/fraud, there is nothing wrong with it from a libertarian viewpoint.

And? Your argument does not dissuade communists in the present, and it did not sway early liberals or abolitionists.
Saying "you won't get what you want" changes absolutely nothing.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:51 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

And? Your argument does not dissuade communists in the present, and it did not sway early liberals or abolitionists.

*shrugs* I am not the one trying to interject free market into every thread.

Besides. Unless you can tie this back to Trump; it’s kind of a tangent.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:53 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:People have a very wrong perception of the Gilded Age. I miss the old Titans of Industry. As for tax evasion/fraud, there is nothing wrong with it from a libertarian viewpoint.

The only thing worse than people rooting for a disproportionate system that benefits them directly are people who do not benefit from a disproportionate system at all but still root for it anyways.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:56 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:And? Your argument does not dissuade communists in the present, and it did not sway early liberals or abolitionists.

*shrugs* I am not the one trying to interject free market into every thread.

Besides. Unless you can tie this back to Trump; it’s kind of a tangent.

I strongly disagree with individuals who posit either Reagan or Trump as free-market icons when clearly they aren't.
Gormwood wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

The only thing worse than people rooting for a disproportionate system that benefits them directly are people who do not benefit from a disproportionate system at all but still root for it anyways.

Somehow rich people still aren't libertarians. I guess it doesn't benefit them after all.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:01 pm

I for one am totally for regularly reminding the noveau riches of their subordination to the nation.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:09 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Gormwood wrote:The only thing worse than people rooting for a disproportionate system that benefits them directly are people who do not benefit from a disproportionate system at all but still root for it anyways.

Somehow rich people still aren't libertarians. I guess it doesn't benefit them after all.

You must be one of those Temporarily Embarassed Millionaires I keep hearing about.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:12 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Somehow rich people still aren't libertarians. I guess it doesn't benefit them after all.

You must be one of those Temporarily Embarassed Millionaires I keep hearing about.

I'm sure you'll come up with an original jab someday.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:14 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Gormwood wrote:You must be one of those Temporarily Embarassed Millionaires I keep hearing about.

I'm sure you'll come up with an original jab someday.

You pushing for laissez-faire without being wealthy just gives off a strong Kanye vibe.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:27 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:I'm sure you'll come up with an original jab someday.

You pushing for laissez-faire without being wealthy just gives off a strong Kanye vibe.

I have reason to admire Kanye, considering he is a self-made millionaire. I recognize that I do not need to be on top in order to push for what I think is the right way of doing things.
Most people who believe in presidential democracy will never be president. Isn't that amusing?
Last edited by Northern Davincia on Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:51 am

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:53 am

Good, it was a fucking waste of tax payer dollars anyhow.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:07 am

"That nasty, nasty woman Mother Nature wants this country swarmed by millions and millions of illegals!" - Donald Trump

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:25 am

Maybe next time he can build an actual wall. Make it proper out of stone, Cover it in awesome statues, maybe some giant cannons for show. And big gates that leads to a tunnel covered with murals deifying the founding fathers leading into a courtyard with a McDonalds, a Starbucks, and a Gun store. With a small platform in the center where there are regularly scheduled debates to entertain/educate new arrivals on US issues.

That should be the standard entryway to America.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:29 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:Maybe next time he can build an actual wall. Make it proper out of stone, Cover it in awesome statues, maybe some giant cannons for show. And big gates that leads to a tunnel covered with murals deifying the founding fathers leading into a courtyard with a McDonalds, a Starbucks, and a Gun store. With a small platform in the center where there are regularly scheduled debates to entertain/educate new arrivals on US issues.

Was the biggest objection to the wall not.that 90 percent of the illegal.immigrants does not enter the USA by crossing the border on land ?

So who would see the awesome entrance ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:30 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
The Emerald Legion wrote:Maybe next time he can build an actual wall. Make it proper out of stone, Cover it in awesome statues, maybe some giant cannons for show. And big gates that leads to a tunnel covered with murals deifying the founding fathers leading into a courtyard with a McDonalds, a Starbucks, and a Gun store. With a small platform in the center where there are regularly scheduled debates to entertain/educate new arrivals on US issues.

Was the biggest objection to the wall not.that 90 percent of the illegal.immigrants does not enter the USA by crossing the border on land ?

Tourists from the Patriot Movement militias patrolling the borders for Dem Illeeguls.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:37 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

That was an objection yes. It was an incorrect Objection.

Also, everyone. We'd build more around Airports so that foreigners get the full experience.

It should be like a country sized Amusement Park Entrance.
Last edited by The Emerald Legion on Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:40 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Also, everyone. We'd build more around Airports so that foreigners get the full experience.

We should put a 3-meter concrete dome around the United States so we can finally be free of the blight of people being born in the Wrong PlaceTM

EDIT: On a serious note, incorrect objection?
Last edited by Valrifell on Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:46 am

Valrifell wrote:
The Emerald Legion wrote:

We should put a 3-meter concrete dome around the United States so we can finally be free of the blight of people being born in the Wrong PlaceTM

But if we did that, noone would ever see our gaudy tourist trap of a wall.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General