NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XIX: Hambergers, Noble Prizes, & Disinfectant

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri May 22, 2020 3:17 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:Trump deems Houses of Worship as "essential" facilities, says Governors should immediately open them up; threatens to override Governors that refuse to do so. Trump went on to say that it was an "injustice" that places like liquor stores and abortion clinics were allowed to remain opened.

I might be bias towards this given I'm an atheist but I do not view places of worship as essential, especially when one can literally pray at home (or listen in from afar, we're in the fucking 21st Century after all). Also, him forcing States to re-open up things, doesn't that go against their respect for State Rights or something?

States' Rights only matter when a Democrat is overstepping the bounds of Federal government. When Republicans do it, it's called maga or something.

If state's rights don't matter then let's get rid of sanctuary states, which is essentially where a state can impose an immigration policy on the rest of the country.
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Fri May 22, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 22, 2020 3:17 pm

Solomons Land wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Again you are missing the point. Which is that those who think trivial matters are a threat to Christianity are those who oppose all of this and think it’s a plot to end Christianity.

That’s the point you refuse to see. For what reason I have no idea

Widespread acceptance of homosexuality is not trivial. We can argue if it is good, but homosexuality is an issue and, in any scenario, when there is an issue of contention and one opinion is being spread, the opposing side is going to respond by attempting to counter that acceptance.

*bangs head on concrete*
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri May 22, 2020 3:17 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Legally yes

Legally no. Donations aren't profit.

Non-profit corporations, maybe.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 22, 2020 3:18 pm

Katganistan wrote:

They are?
Seems like they should be paying taxes then....

Non-profit Corporations. Which don’t have to pay taxes. Not every corporation has to pay taxes
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri May 22, 2020 3:18 pm

Katganistan wrote:

They are?

Not all types of corporations are required to pay taxes.
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Fri May 22, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Solomons Land
Diplomat

Founded: May 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Solomons Land » Fri May 22, 2020 3:18 pm

Katganistan wrote:

They are?

As I said above, churches are non-profit corporations not taxed. Whether non-profits should be taxed is a topic for a different thread.
Generation 31: enter this into your signature and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
This statement is false.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri May 22, 2020 3:18 pm

Thermodolia wrote:You don’t have to have a profit to be a business. Churches are legal corporations just like any other non-profit

A non-profit is not a corporation. That's not how it works.

Non profits are typically a particular sub-class of corporation. Although it is possible to have a non profit LLC that's treated as a corporation for almost every conceivable way, these are not the norm.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Fri May 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
A non-profit is not a corporation. That's not how it works.

Yes they are. A legal corporation yes. Not exactly the same as regular parlance but they are a corporation technically

My mistake. Technically they are, yes. I was confusing it with the term 'business' as they are often used interchangeably.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014

Postby Idzequitch » Fri May 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:States' Rights only matter when a Democrat is overstepping the bounds of Federal government. When Republicans do it, it's called maga or something.

If state's rights don't matter then let's get rid of sanctuary states, which is essentially where a state can impose an immigration policy on the rest of the country.

I do believe you've entirely missed what I was saying.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Solomons Land wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:You don’t have to have a profit to be a business. Churches are legal corporations just like any other non-profit

Churches are indeed corporations, but that was not the question. The question was whether or not they are businesses, which they are not. While, in a generic sense, I think churches should be allowed to open roughly around the same time as businesses, I think it is too early to open either.

Corporation = business. They are one in the same.

Or do you want to split hairs again because you can’t accept that your might be wrong?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Fri May 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Solomons Land wrote:

Churches are indeed corporations, but that was not the question. The question was whether or not they are businesses, which they are not. While, in a generic sense, I think churches should be allowed to open roughly around the same time as businesses, I think it is too early to open either.

This is, at the very least, a consistent position.
My own view is that as long as we keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed, the law of diminishing returns applies to further measures quite strongly(because it's impossible to do a good enough job with the lockdowns to really make a big difference). So churches should be allowed to open, with social distancing restrictions in place.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri May 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Katganistan wrote:
They are?

I didn't say non-profits should.... but businesses do.
Last edited by Katganistan on Fri May 22, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri May 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Idzequitch wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

I do believe you've entirely missed what I was saying.

I'm saying your stance on state's rights is dependent on which party is in control of a state, in spite of your strawman example.
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Fri May 22, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Fri May 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:That's not something he can enforce, nor is it something that he should be able to.

Separation of Church and State works both ways or not at all.

Oh my God he's about to tear down the wall of church and state now that the election is coming.

No Donald no.

You should already know by now. "No, Donald, No!" just makes him more eager to do it.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Fri May 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Solomons Land wrote:

Or do you want to split hairs again because you can’t accept that your might be wrong?

No, businesses are specifically about profit. Corporation has a broader meaning.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri May 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

I didn't say corporations should.... but businesses do.

Corporation =/= business
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri May 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Solomons Land wrote:

Um, actually, corporation does not equal business.

There are corporations that are not businesses (like investment holding companies) and businesses that are not corporations (like the self-employed).

Most corporations are businesses, but most businesses are actually not corporations. There's a hell of a lot of sole proprietors, partnerships, and LLCs out there that are NOT corporations. They probably outnumber business corporations, although I'm not sure.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Thermodolia wrote:Yes they are. A legal corporation yes. Not exactly the same as regular parlance but they are a corporation technically

My mistake. Technically they are, yes. I was confusing it with the term 'business' as they are often used interchangeably.

No harm done. The tax code is a messy thing, only those who have mastered the dark arts understand it
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri May 22, 2020 3:21 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I didn't say corporations should.... but businesses do.

Corporation =/= business

I am not the one who originally called it a business. That was the whole point of ASKING them if it was a business.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri May 22, 2020 3:21 pm

If you want to talk about taxing non-profits that horde money, let's go after universities. The Ivy League schools are basically glorified hedge funds that happen to also provide educational services.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 22, 2020 3:21 pm

Galloism wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Corporation = business. They are one in the same.

Um, actually, corporation does not equal business.

There are corporations that are not businesses (like investment holding companies) and businesses that are not corporations (like the self-employed).

Most corporations are businesses, but most businesses are actually not corporations. There's a hell of a lot of sole proprietors, partnerships, and LLCs out there that are NOT corporations. They probably outnumber business corporations, although I'm not sure.

Well then
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri May 22, 2020 3:21 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
Corporation =/= business

I am not the one who originally called it a business. That was the whole point of ASKING them if it was a business.

Business doesn't really have a precise definition here.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Fri May 22, 2020 3:22 pm

Guess the televangelists suffered from money withdrawal much sooner than expected.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Azlaake
Envoy

Founded: Nov 27, 2018

Postby Azlaake » Fri May 22, 2020 3:22 pm

My whole life I have been catholic. I was baptized and went through the other sacraments. While I am the least religious in my family I still believe. We watched our local priest do church two times already. However, I do not think that going to church is essential, everybody can worship from home and you do not need to go to Church just because

I wish that at the beginning Trump has forcibly shut down the churches because some pastors were dismissing Covid-19 and a lot people were in close quarters
This Nation Represents My Political Views (MOSTLY), So Suck It Republicans!!!
These are my political views
And my political compass
AZLAAKE Needs You
HOPE YOU LIKE CRANBERRIES
BERNIE 2020
I Use NS Stats!! (Mostly, Anyways)
Imagine Scandinavian Ideologies, American Patriotism, Canadian Wilderness, And Tacos And Burgers Everywhere
PRO: Liberal Socialism, Democratic Socialism, Gun Restrictions, Leftist-ism, Democracy, Civil and Political Freedoms, Legalized Drugs, Equalitism, Bernie Sanders, Mandatory Vaccines, and Universal Healthcare
ANTI: Libertarianism, Conservatism, Polygamy, Rightist-ism, Anarchy, Fascism, Northern Jackaia, Trump

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 22, 2020 3:22 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:If you want to talk about taxing non-profits that horde money, let's go after universities. The Ivy League schools are basically glorified hedge funds that happen to also provide educational services.

I’m all for mandating that non-profits pay a 1% income tax
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General