NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XIX: Hambergers, Noble Prizes, & Disinfectant

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Fri May 01, 2020 6:00 pm

Nakena wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Why should he worry? Old McC and the rest aren't going to do anything.

He might loose in November, he might face other threats from other vectors as well.

The only hypothetical threat he faces is from the GOP turning on him. That's it. The election might as well be a formality for him, even assuming no rigging well in advance, due to Biden's weakness as a candidate. Outside forces openly root for him to stay on. And of course the American people staying supine and passive, waiting for the constitutional remedy that will finally slay the extraconstitutional monster that keeps on defying them.
Last edited by Diahon on Fri May 01, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri May 01, 2020 6:02 pm

Diahon wrote:
Nakena wrote:
He might loose in November, he might face other threats from other vectors as well.

The only hgpothetical threat he faces is from the GOP turning on him. That's it. The election might as well be a formality for him, even assuming no rigging well in advance. Outside forces openly root for him to stay on. And of course the American people staying supine and passive, waiting for the constitutional remedy that will finally slay the extraconstitutional monster that keeps on defying them.

They are not going to turn on him. Old McC is desperate to stack the courts with ideologues. He will do anything and follow anybody to do that.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Fri May 01, 2020 6:02 pm

Diahon wrote:
Nakena wrote:

The only hypothetical threat he faces is from the GOP turning on him. That's it. The election might as well be a formality for him, even assuming no rigging well in advance, due to Biden's weakness as a candidate. Outside forces openly root for him to stay on. And of course the American people staying supine and passive, waiting for the constitutional remedy that will finally slay the extraconstitutional monster that keeps on defying them.

idk, Biden has a decent chance
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri May 01, 2020 6:03 pm

Speaking about alternate threat vectors:

Maryland governor says coronavirus tests acquired from South Korea under guard at undisclosed location

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) said Thursday that thousands of coronavirus tests obtained by the state from South Korea are currently protected in an undisclosed location by the Maryland National Guard.

Asked in a Washington Post Live interview whether he was concerned the federal government would seize the tests, Hogan acknowledged “it was a little bit of a concern.”

Dangerous waters ahead.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Fri May 01, 2020 6:08 pm

Diahon wrote:
Nakena wrote:

He won't win, his win in '16 was a real fluke of the electoral college, and plenty of independents and Democrats who essentially voted against Hillary have seen the fruit of their gamble and not liked the taste.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri May 01, 2020 6:10 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Diahon wrote:

idk, Biden has a decent chance

He does. Americans don't like a tanked economy. They tend to blame whomever is in charge at the time.

Add in covid? Under Trumps watch, the covid event has seen more American die in 61 days versus 10000 days of the Viet Nam war.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Fri May 01, 2020 6:11 pm

Nakena wrote:Speaking about alternate threat vectors:

Maryland governor says coronavirus tests acquired from South Korea under guard at undisclosed location

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) said Thursday that thousands of coronavirus tests obtained by the state from South Korea are currently protected in an undisclosed location by the Maryland National Guard.

Asked in a Washington Post Live interview whether he was concerned the federal government would seize the tests, Hogan acknowledged “it was a little bit of a concern.”

Dangerous waters ahead.

A ridiculous state of affairs, and unthinkable even just months ago, but I'm glad there are people who want to protect and provide for others as much as they can.

And this Hogan guy's a Republican? Very good on him; were it that the rest of the national political infrastructure to act for the general welfare and not just for their own.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri May 01, 2020 6:13 pm

Given his completly random and unpredictable antics it's kinda obvious that the authority of the federal administration is rapidly eroding to the point were various states and governors openly defy him and some even take precautions against federal authority such as the Maryland National Guard deployments. Stuff like this is very, very dangerous. If half the country (and even worse parts of the security forces and military) are in passive rebellion or ignoring orders, directives etc. alltogether then he may as well end up being inside an power vacuum.

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Fri May 01, 2020 6:15 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:idk, Biden has a decent chance

He does. Americans don't like a tanked economy. They tend to blame whomever is in charge at the time.

Add in covid? Under Trumps watch, the covid event has seen more American die in 61 days versus 10000 days of the Viet Nam war.

Bombadil wrote:
Diahon wrote:

He won't win, his win in '16 was a real fluke of the electoral college, and plenty of independents and Democrats who essentially voted against Hillary have seen the fruit of their gamble and not liked the taste.

You all assume the integrity of the upcoming elections will be respected.

I have said this before, but I have no reason to assume that would be the case. Trump not going filthy with the one thing that would guarantee his continued power, despite everything else he and his underlings have done?

Farfetched. Corruption respects nothing. Evil stops at no one.

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Fri May 01, 2020 6:26 pm

Nakena wrote:Given his completly random and unpredictable antics it's kinda obvious that the authority of the federal administration is rapidly eroding to the point were various states and governors openly defy him and some even take precautions against federal authority such as the Maryland National Guard deployments. Stuff like this is very, very dangerous. If half the country (and even worse parts of the security forces and military) are in passive rebellion or ignoring orders, directives etc. alltogether then he may as well end up being inside an power vacuum.

Unpredictable? His malevolent incompetence has always been predictable; it is only the specific manifestations of that incompetence that are not, and even then, one can safely assume after enough demonstration that the only direction Trump will be taking as he wields any kind of political power would be further down.

It is only singularly unfortunate that he has to remain the leader of the world's democratic lynchpin as he digs further down. This is still an abyss of a man I still maintain has it in him to end the world. He is that evil.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri May 01, 2020 6:32 pm

Diahon wrote:
Nakena wrote:Given his completly random and unpredictable antics it's kinda obvious that the authority of the federal administration is rapidly eroding to the point were various states and governors openly defy him and some even take precautions against federal authority such as the Maryland National Guard deployments. Stuff like this is very, very dangerous. If half the country (and even worse parts of the security forces and military) are in passive rebellion or ignoring orders, directives etc. alltogether then he may as well end up being inside an power vacuum.

Unpredictable? His malevolent incompetence has always been predictable; it is only the specific manifestations of that incompetence that are not, and even then, one can safely assume after enough demonstration that the only direction Trump will be taking as he wields any kind of political power would be further down.

It is only singularly unfortunate that he has to remain the leader of the world's democratic lynchpin as he digs further down. This is still an abyss of a man I still maintain has it in him to end the world. He is that evil.

Well like I said before. I do not believe Trump to be actively malevolent towards the American people (like Hitler was towards Germany at the end stage of the WW2) but rather that he literally cannot keep it together anymore. Too much pressure, medical and (undiagnosed, untreated) mental health issues all taking their toll upon him. Certain personality features and traits greatly increase the problem however, and that is, i think, as closely as we get to the "intentionism" you suspect. I do believe Donald Trump is no longer able to effectively manage the crisis and fullfill the duties of the american Presidency at this point for a myriad of reasons.

I believe the Donald Trump from 1980 or 1985 would do better than the Trump of 2020.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri May 01, 2020 7:04 pm

Diahon wrote:

Lmao democratic lynchpin. America was no more democratic before trump than it is now. Trump just sucks at hiding how much of a tyrant he is. The dude is a monster.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri May 01, 2020 7:05 pm

The president of the United States becomes the mayor of Washington DC.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Fri May 01, 2020 7:45 pm

Wait... a Republican is having to protect his state's Covid tests from the Federal government with soldiers? Is that real?

What the fuck...

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri May 01, 2020 8:06 pm

Albrenia wrote:Wait... a Republican is having to protect his state's Covid tests from the Federal government with soldiers? Is that real?

What the fuck...

Err? What now?

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Fri May 01, 2020 8:16 pm

Albrenia wrote:Wait... a Republican is having to protect his state's Covid tests from the Federal government with soldiers? Is that real?

What the fuck...

Sadly, I’m gonna have to agree with what Nakena said earlier that stuff like this is dangerous.
Occasionally the Neo-American States
"Choke on the ashes of your hate."
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Environmental protections
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Authoritarianism/Totalitarianism
- Traditionalism
- Ethnic/racial supremacy
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Laissez-faire capitalism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism
- Climate change denialism

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri May 01, 2020 8:37 pm

Indeed. But this is not new. Parts of the government have been in rebellion against him since before he was even elected. This has been extremly dangurous for a while. You only have to look at the delay in Covid response caused by the erosion of trust between the intelligence community and the administration has to see how this can create a national security threat, even when both parties have the same goals.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri May 01, 2020 8:55 pm

What the fuck...

Funny enough, MD is normally considered a democrat stronghold
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Fri May 01, 2020 9:28 pm

Aclion wrote:

Indeed. But this is not new. Parts of the government have been in rebellion against him since before he was even elected. This has been extremly dangurous for a while. You only have to look at the delay in Covid response caused by the erosion of trust between the intelligence community and the administration has to see how this can create a national security threat, even when both parties have the same goals.

A man so unhinged, so unfit to wield power, cannot be granted full access to that power, and shouldn't have been given access to it.

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Fri May 01, 2020 9:32 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Diahon wrote:

Lmao democratic lynchpin. America was no more democratic before trump than it is now. Trump just sucks at hiding how much of a tyrant he is. The dude is a monster.

The difference between the Harding, Nixon, and Dubya admins speaks for itself. Your democracy is the linchpin not necessarily because of the reality but because of the potential, and you have by no means exhausted that potential.

It would be poor form to piss it all off, to say the least.
Last edited by Diahon on Sat May 02, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sat May 02, 2020 3:39 pm

Speaking of poor form by democratic linchpins, here's Donald Trump being very happy at very, very shit news.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sat May 02, 2020 3:40 pm

Diahon wrote:Speaking of poor form by democratic linchpins, here's Donald Trump being very happy at very, very shit news.

Would you prefer if his sinister sister were to take the reigns?

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sat May 02, 2020 3:44 pm

Nakena wrote:
Diahon wrote:Speaking of poor form by democratic linchpins, here's Donald Trump being very happy at very, very shit news.

Would you prefer if his sinister sister were to take the reigns?

No, I would prefer it if Trump weren't so obviously charmed by the prospect of absolute power and absolute carnage in the first place -- that Donald Trump were a normal person and not someone whose upbringing and personality and everything else brought him to this -- and if Korea were one country instead of two, or at least the northem half weren't managed by absolute sociopaths -- but here we are.
Last edited by Diahon on Sat May 02, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sat May 02, 2020 3:58 pm

This makes sense considering he has no diplomatic relationship with any other North Korean figure. Kim Jong-Un is the evil he knows, and can talk to.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sat May 02, 2020 4:12 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

This makes sense considering he has no diplomatic relationship with any other North Korean figure. Kim Jong-Un is the evil he knows, and can talk to.

So Justin Trudeau and Angela Merkel are eldritch and Kim and Xi and Bolsonaro and Putin and Orban and Salman and who the fuck else are just homey stuff. Penpals. Friends. Allies.

Urk.

Good to know.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General