NATION

PASSWORD

The Kims: East Asian Lucretia & Cesare?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:50 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I find Seoul's vehement insistence that he's not dead odd, don't you?

Not really even under normal times they would not want the population of Seoul fleeing south or Fleeing the country. Add in the pandemic and it would be a disaster.

Seoul?
Umm, forgive me if I am wrong, but I guess shouldn't it be the population of Pyongyang?
Last edited by Samudera Darussalam on Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:51 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
Dunno, just normally they'd have released something, a picture of him in the park or at a factory, even if just a denial. The absolute silence is not normal. Still, South Korea are saying they see no abnormal activity, if something had happened then phone lines would be ablaze.

It may be extremely few people in North Korea even know, like just a handful. It's probably like that film Death of Stalin where everyone is just too afraid to make a move.

"He's trying to see what our reaction is so he can kill us!"

Uneasy is the head that's even thinking about wearing the crown.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Old Zealand Founder
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Zealand Founder » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:54 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I find Seoul's vehement insistence that he's not dead odd, don't you?

Not really even under normal times they would not want the population of Seoul fleeing south or Fleeing the country. Add in the pandemic and it would be a disaster.

I don't see why the death of Supreme Leader Kimmy would affect his frenemy down south. Nothing necessarily odd happened in South Korea when Kim Jong-il died IIRC, though I may be in the wrong here.
JUCHE GANG

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:55 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
I certainly do.
Although that was a report from either yesterday or today.
But The Express (hurls), is questionable at best.

This is in the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/26/worl ... korea.html

So it's anyone's guess still.

Although I did see a report saying people were panic buying in NK.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:56 pm

Old Zealand Founder wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

I don't see why the death of Supreme Leader Kimmy would affect his frenemy down south. Nothing necessarily odd happened in South Korea when Kim Jong-il died IIRC, though I may be in the wrong here.

There is the concern that with Kim Jong-Un's death may sparks some form of civil wars in the North, a country that owns nuclear weapons. We have seen how civil wars in the Mid East spawn refugees.....so maybe people fear that the same thing would happen in a hypothetical North Korean civil war.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:58 pm

Greed and Death wrote:

After the death was announced, the South Korean military was put on high alert.[14] The South's National Security Council, worried that political jockeying in North Korea could destabilise the region, also convened for an emergency meeting.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_and ... c_of_Korea

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Greed and Death wrote:

Kim Jong-Un was the clear successor, there's no clear successor here depending on whether the elite will accept a female as Dear Leader.. that makes it a far more unstable situation.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:03 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
You think it's Kim's sister trying to stir up trouble?

Dunno, just normally they'd have released something, a picture of him in the park or at a factory, even if just a denial. The absolute silence is not normal. Still, South Korea are saying they see no abnormal activity, if something had happened then phone lines would be ablaze.

It may be extremely few people in North Korea even know, like just a handful. It's probably like that film Death of Stalin where everyone is just too afraid to make a move.

"The Conclusion of Kim Jong-un" would be a movie I'd watch.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:08 pm

Greed and Death wrote:

That's because Kim Jong-Il had Kim Jong-Un as a designated heir ever since his other son was caught trying to sneak into Tokyo Disney World. As such, Jong-Un was groomed for the role since 2000-ish.

Kim Jong-Un has made so such preparation, afaik. So there's no designated heir and loads of powerful people who can lay claim to the de-facto throne of the nation, which leaves it ripe for Civil War. China and South Korea would be confronted with a refugee crisis on a scale unprecedented in modern times.

Of course, having some of the world's largest economies tied in with this crisis would also be very bad economically.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:11 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Old Zealand Founder wrote:I don't see why the death of Supreme Leader Kimmy would affect his frenemy down south. Nothing necessarily odd happened in South Korea when Kim Jong-il died IIRC, though I may be in the wrong here.

That's because Kim Jong-Il had Kim Jong-Un as a designated heir ever since his other son was caught trying to sneak into Tokyo Disney World. As such, Jong-Un was groomed for the role since 2000-ish.

Kim Jong-Un has made so such preparation, afaik. So there's no designated heir and loads of powerful people who can lay claim to the de-facto throne of the nation, which leaves it ripe for Civil War. China and South Korea would be confronted with a refugee crisis on a scale unprecedented in modern times.

Of course, having some of the world's largest economies tied in with this crisis would also be very bad economically.

Fuckin' 2020.. seriously. I almost think we put a line under this year, start again at year 1, 1AC.

十年

Old Zealand Founder
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Zealand Founder » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:39 pm

Ah, I thought the refugees you were talking about were going to be from SK and not NK.
Last edited by Old Zealand Founder on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUCHE GANG

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:49 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Fuckin' 2020.. seriously. I almost think we put a line under this year, start again at year 1, 1AC.

"Have you tried turning 2020 on and off again?"

So much for the year of hindsight :lol:

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:50 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:50 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

On further review the Mayan calendar ended in 2020 not 2012.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:51 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

Everything about that is perfect XD

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:55 pm

Samudera Darussalam wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

Seoul?
Umm, forgive me if I am wrong, but I guess shouldn't it be the population of Pyongyang?

No. South Korea's capital is in artillery range of North Korea. Which has been massing units on the border for half a century.

Any talk of North Korea destabilizing (and the possibility of war) is always met with a minor migration until things cool down.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:57 pm

Greed and Death wrote:

Seoul?

Seoul is in artillery range of North Korea. Instability in the north may put the south at risk of aggressive behave by whoever is attempting to assert legitimacy.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:58 pm

A friend of mine posted that it was confirmed. Kim Jong-Un was dead. Until I saw the photo and article she quoted. It was from Kim Jong-Il’s passing.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:59 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:A friend of mine posted that it was confirmed. Kim Jong-Un was dead. Until I saw the photo and article she quoted. It was from Kim Jong-Il’s passing.

Kim Jong Ill finally confirmed dead, at least we now know. :p

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:00 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:A friend of mine posted that it was confirmed. Kim Jong-Un was dead. Until I saw the photo and article she quoted. It was from Kim Jong-Il’s passing.

Re-confirmed you mean. :p
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:02 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

If that's the case, should we re-re-confirm Kim Il Sung's death?

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:03 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I'm starting to think that he's a zombie that just won't stay down.

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:04 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Samudera Darussalam wrote:Seoul?

No. South Korea's capital is in artillery range of North Korea. Which has been massing units on the border for half a century.

Any talk of North Korea destabilizing (and the possibility of war) is always met with a minor migration until things cool down.

Greed and Death wrote:
Samudera Darussalam wrote:Seoul?

Seoul is in artillery range of North Korea. Instability in the north may put the south at risk of aggressive behave by whoever is attempting to assert legitimacy.

Oh, you were talking about artillery range. I thought that was about destabilization of the North will cause refugees from there to flee south.

It's kinda hard if the largest population centre is located so close to the border, but do you think the South's administrative capital is under danger too?

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:07 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:No. South Korea's capital is in artillery range of North Korea. Which has been massing units on the border for half a century.

Greed and Death wrote:

Oh, you were talking about artillery range. I thought that was about destabilization of the North will cause refugees from there to flee south.

It's kinda hard if the largest population centre is located so close to the border, but do you think the South's administrative capital is under danger too?

That's the entire reason why they made it their administrative capital.

Though the DPRK could still hit it with one of their nuclear missiles. Assuming they actually work.

Also, North Koreans would be extremely well-advised not to flee South. The demilitarized zone is a massive minefield. They should flee to China, which is something China is very concerned about.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:07 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Do let’s.
Slava Ukraini

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General