NATION

PASSWORD

The Kims: East Asian Lucretia & Cesare?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Kargintina the Third
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

The Kims: East Asian Lucretia & Cesare?

Postby Kargintina the Third » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:21 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics ... index.html

The US is monitoring intelligence that North Korea's leader, Kim Jong Un, is in grave danger after a surgery, according to a US official with direct knowledge.

Kim recently missed the celebration of his grandfather's birthday on April 15, which raised speculation about his well-being. He had been seen four days before that at a government meeting.

CNN has reached out to the CIA, National Security Council and the State Department for comment. CNN has also sought comment from the South Koreans.

Gathering intelligence out of North Korea is notoriously difficult -- one of the most challenging targets for US intelligence.

North Korea tightly controls any information surrounding its leader, who is treated almost like a deity within the country. His absences from official state media often spark speculation and rumors about his health.

North Korea has no free press and is often a black hole when it comes to the country's leadership. Analysts are heavily reliant on scanning state media dispatches and watching propaganda videos for any semblance of a clue.

Kim last appeared in North Korean state media on April 11. April 15 -- North Korea's most important holiday, the anniversary of the birth of the country's founding father, Kim Il Sung -- came and went without any official mention of Kim Jong Un's movements.

This is quite concerning. If Kim was to die and one of his Generals takes power it could be an issue. A destabilized state with nuclear weapons in the wild for the taking could result in disaster. I don’t hold Kim in a particularly good light but I realize the negative consequences his death could have. It is unknown who his successor is.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title to generalize it (I know it's terrible but I'm open to suggestions)
Representative Earl Tenson (R-MT-All)

Senate candidate Christina Mudale (R-AL)

Senator Nickolai Dernilski (D-OH)

Houston Mayor Harold Baines (D-TX)

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:23 pm

From what I know, it's widely speculated that Kim Yo-jong, Kim's sister, would be the one to succeed him. This is primarily due to the fact that she's increasing her roles right now and previously did so during his last health scare.

EDIT for sauces:

Kim Yo-jong is now North Korea's most powerful woman.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -alter-ego
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/ ... 30626.html
Last edited by Valrifell on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:24 pm

Kargintina the Third wrote:If Kim was to die and one of his Generals takes power...

You're running under the assumption that there are any related General Kims in the DPRK military :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:24 pm

I see this situation turning from oh crap to RUN FOR YOUR LIVES,THE WORLD IS ENDING in 3 days flat.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:25 pm

He is obese, but still relatively young. That and he would have access to decent healthcare, even if few people in his country do. Unless he suffered a stroke or a cardiac event as this young of an age (which, not super likely), I can't speculate as to what it might be that potentially incapacitated him like this. Doubt it's COVID, seeing as few people travel into N.K, I do believe that there are very few cases in that country.

Either way, if he kicks it (which doesn't seem super likely), the lack of a viable successor could cause more problems than one might think (as the OP did mention), but simultaneously, Jong-Un is a piece of dirt, yada yada, won't beat a dead horse, so I don't think many would shed a tear about his demise, but the repercussions could harm the North Korean people even more.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:25 pm

Before jumping to conclusions, remember that it's very hard to get accurate intelligence from North Korea, and this isn’t the first time Kim Jong Un has been reported to be in "grave danger."
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:25 pm

Valrifell wrote:From what I know, it's widely speculated that Kim Yo-jong, Kim's sister, would be the one to succeed him. This is primarily due to the fact that she's increasing her roles right now and previously did so during his last health scare.

I was unaware of this. Gonna look into that.

Yokiria
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Yokiria » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:25 pm

Aureumterra wrote:Before jumping to conclusions, remember that it's very hard to get accurate intelligence from North Korea, and this isn’t the first time Kim Jong Un has been reported to be in "grave danger."

Yes, but this time it's being reported in 2020, the year of total chaos. This would be the year that it happens.
~ And if you go,
Former Guardian of Osiris

I want to go with you,
and if you die...
This nation's views do not necessarily reflect the views of the player.

I want to die with you.~

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 20, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:27 pm

NBC news is saying he is brain dead according to two US officials.
US Air Force E-4
Twenty-Five, Male, Lightskin, Social Democrat, Proud Kansan

Proud member of the IFC, SA, IHAPC, IDS, PEDC, IBE, ISA nation!

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:28 pm

Newark Aristocracy wrote:I see this situation turning from oh crap to RUN FOR YOUR LIVES,THE WORLD IS ENDING in 3 days flat.

There’s literally nothing new or notable that has happened in 2020 so far that hasn’t had a worse version of it happen in the last century
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:28 pm

United States of Devonta wrote:NBC news is saying he is brain dead according to two US officials.

What a truly thrilling time to be alive.
I hate it

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:28 pm

Valrifell wrote:From what I know, it's widely speculated that Kim Yo-jong, Kim's sister, would be the one to succeed him. This is primarily due to the fact that she's increasing her roles right now and previously did so during his last health scare.

EDIT for sauces:

Kim Yo-jung is now North Korea's most powerful woman.

First female communist tyrant.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:29 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Newark Aristocracy wrote:I see this situation turning from oh crap to RUN FOR YOUR LIVES,THE WORLD IS ENDING in 3 days flat.

There’s literally nothing new or notable that has happened in 2020 so far that hasn’t had a worse version of it happen in the last century

The Australian wildfires?
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Newark Aristocracy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Newark Aristocracy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:29 pm

RUN FOR YOU LIVES,THE WORLD IS ENDING! (damm,that was at least 10 minutes flat.)

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:30 pm

Major-Tom wrote:

I was unaware of this. Gonna look into that.

You can tell she has a remarkable status considering she attended the 2018 Winter games. In South Korea.

The first Kim to set foot in the country since the Korean War, fun fact.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:31 pm

United States of Devonta wrote:NBC news is saying he is brain dead according to two US officials.

It looks like it was a cardiovascular procedure:

Kim’s health has deteriorated in recent months due to heavy smoking, obesity and overwork.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nort ... SKBN223011

But if he's brain dead, there's no way he's coming back. And I'm sure he doesn't have any kids either so I don't know who would take power. Either way, if he dies, this could be a turning stone for diplomatic efforts, maybe.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:32 pm

I wouldn't shed a tear if he dies choking on his own organs.

Having said that, chaos in a nation wielding nukes is far, far less than optimal. As is the inevitable struggle for power among those who think they should be the successor.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:32 pm

My only question is this.

Is Kim Jong Un's sister hot? Because if she is, maybe it won't be so bad if she's leader. And when the God emperor does the inevitable and divorces Melania for "being too old, time to check out bitch," he can marry the kawaii commie in North Korea, thereby uniting our two kingdoms as one. somebody shoot me please before this happens.
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:32 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:

EDIT for sauces:

Kim Yo-jung is now North Korea's most powerful woman.

First female communist tyrant.

His brother Kim-Jong chul is his older brother and still lives in NK. He isn't really active with the party anymore though.
US Air Force E-4

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:33 pm

So, what I'm gathering so far is that Dennis Rodman is next in line?

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:33 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:My only question is this.

Is Kim Jong Un's sister hot? Because if she is, maybe it won't be so bad if she's leader. And when the God emperor does the inevitable and divorces Melania for "being too old, time to check out bitch," he can marry the kawaii commie in North Korea, thereby uniting our two kingdoms as one somebody shoot me please before this happens.

If she did something with her hair she'd be a total hottie, rapidly rising to the near top of my Global Hot Tottie Leadership Ranking.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:34 pm

Zurkerx wrote:

Kim’s health has deteriorated in recent months due to heavy smoking, obesity and overwork.

But if he's brain dead, there's no way he's coming back. And I'm sure he doesn't have any kids either so I don't know who would take power. Either way, if he dies, this could be a turning stone for diplomatic efforts, maybe.

He has one confirmed daughter. Born around 2010-2012. But is believed to have many more. All probably to young to rule.
US Air Force E-4

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:35 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:My only question is this.

Is Kim Jong Un's sister hot? Because if she is, maybe it won't be so bad if she's leader. And when the God emperor does the inevitable and divorces Melania for "being too old, time to check out bitch," he can marry the kawaii commie in North Korea, thereby uniting our two kingdoms as one somebody shoot me please before this happens.

If she did something with her hair she'd be a total hottie, rapidly rising to the near top of my Global Hot Tottie Leadership Ranking.

I can imagine if you made that list, Trump would find where you live, put a gun to your head and say "SAY IM THE HOTTEST AND YOU'RE GAY FOR ME OR ELSE!" just because of how bad his ego is.

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:40 pm

United States of Devonta wrote:
Zurkerx wrote:

He has one confirmed daughter. Born around 2010-2012. But is believed to have many more. All probably to young to rule.

Definitely. Apparently what I'm reading is his younger sister, Kim Yo-jong, is a possible successor. So it'll be another Kim.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:42 pm

Zurkerx wrote:
United States of Devonta wrote:

Definitely. Apparently what I'm reading is his younger sister, Kim Yo-jong, is a possible successor. So it'll be another Kim.

Gotta keep the pseudo-feudal Communist stratocratic monarchy alive babeyy!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General