NATION

PASSWORD

RWDT XX: The System Is Kapp Putsch

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which alcoholic beverage is the most right-wing?

Wine (Blood and Body?)
21%
Beer
21%
Vodka
6%
Mead
11%
Whiskey/Whisky
17%
Scotch (option included for Questers and old people)
8%
Rakı (option included specifically for Marches)
4%
Seltzers/Hard Ciders (because the Claw is the LAW)
5%
Gin
4%
Other (Rum/Brandy/Cognac/Tequila)
4%

Total votes : 107

State of Turelisa
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby State of Turelisa » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:26 am

Questarian New Yorkshire wrote:
Fahran wrote:Stop making me want to abolish suffrage.

How about we have the best system instead, where we divide our country up into thousands of local governments whose job it is to enact referendums, which are voted on publicly in the town square and only the chief of household can vote in the referendum :) the local government handles welfare, policing, green belt planning permissions, and local community services :) its leaders have to be local persons of note who are unpaid volunteers and subject to recall :)

and for non local issues the STATE is just a single party state which handles infrastructure, education, healthcare, the defence of the realm, etc :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landsgemeinde

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:26 am

State of Turelisa wrote:
Fahran wrote:You tend to lose a degree of accountability when you step into the intersection of private and public interests because you're now mingling the public maintenance of law and order with a profit motive or relying on a less well-funded and well-disciplined force to not resort to corruption. It's much easier to implement reforms from within the government and to impose them on the state than to squabble with private firms or community watches that lack the same degree of accountability that an employee would have to his or her boss in the event of a mistake.

Private police receive adequate training, and some are former police officers. In private policing, local government awards the contract based on the provider's standards and cancels it if public opinion of performance is poor. The provider is accountable to the public.

In Minnesota, the political power of the police unions has impeded police reform - about half of police officers dismissed for malfeasance were reinstated after appeals.

Privatizing prison guards did not turn out very well.

They still have an economic incentive to cut costs and corners.

Now sure police unions may have too much power. Maybe public sector workers should not be allowed to be unionized. Federal police already and many other federal employees cannot be unionized already.

Unions are necessary in the private sector as private employees do not get the same due process rights a public sector workers.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Founded: Nov 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:26 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Questarian New Yorkshire wrote:what is lyft?

do they not have them in br*t**n?
I dont use any kind of fake taxi

no
fake
taxi
REST IN PEACE RWDT & LWDT
I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger, traveling through this world below
There is no sickness, no toil, nor danger, in that bright land to which I go
I'm going there to see my Father, and all my loved ones who've gone on
I'm only going over Jordan, I'm only going over home

I know dark clouds will gather 'round me, I know my way is hard and steep
But beauteous fields arise before me, where God's redeemed, their vigils keep

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:27 am

State of Turelisa wrote:
Questarian New Yorkshire wrote:How about we have the best system instead, where we divide our country up into thousands of local governments whose job it is to enact referendums, which are voted on publicly in the town square and only the chief of household can vote in the referendum :) the local government handles welfare, policing, green belt planning permissions, and local community services :) its leaders have to be local persons of note who are unpaid volunteers and subject to recall :)

and for non local issues the STATE is just a single party state which handles infrastructure, education, healthcare, the defence of the realm, etc :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landsgemeinde
that was the point dude

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:31 am

Questarian New Yorkshire wrote:I won't rehash what I said about service = citizenship from XVIII, but basically it's a bad idea.

Democracy is a good thing to have when everyone is more or less equally affected by the outcome and everyone more or less knows each other. So, local elections for local purposes with head of household suffrage. For the central government, just no voting.

And I already went over why it would work. It is pragmatic.

But if the central government has no voting how is it selected and who holds it accountable then?
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:33 am

Novus America wrote:
State of Turelisa wrote:
Private police receive adequate training, and some are former police officers. In private policing, local government awards the contract based on the provider's standards and cancels it if public opinion of performance is poor. The provider is accountable to the public.

In Minnesota, the political power of the police unions has impeded police reform - about half of police officers dismissed for malfeasance were reinstated after appeals.

Now sure police unions may have too much power. Maybe public sector workers should not be allowed to be unionized. Federal police already and many other federal employees cannot be unionized already.

Unions are necessary in the private sector as private employees do not get the same due process rights a public sector workers.

There's plenty of public sector jobs that have similar power dynamics to private sector jobs, and thus really do need unions.

Police are not one of them.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:35 am

Accountability is unnecessary. Democratic governments are rarely accountable anyway. Not the central ones.

There are many ways to choose a government other than democracy. Monarchy is one of them. The other is having the head of the judiciary be the head of state and the judiciary to select a head of government (or just be the head of government.) The other is to allow trade unions to decide. Etc.
Last edited by Questarian New Yorkshire on Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:38 am

Fahran wrote:
The East Marches II wrote:Did I really deserve to get lit up like that? That was very unpleasant! I am a good respectable gentleman. One might even say a saint really.

I know of no one who would call you any of these things, Marches.

Please, please there are a great many good gentlemen and ladies would can attest not only to my bravery but also my honesty. You can always trust a merchant :^)

Cekoviu wrote:
The East Marches II wrote:
Did I really deserve to get lit up like that?

the answer is always yes when you ask this question
That was very unpleasant! I am a good respectable gentleman. One might even say a saint really.

i'd agree, but i don't know any saints who could serve as precedent -- i don't believe there've been any with jaws as slack or skulls as empty

God damn. That was fucking spicy. Put on suicide watch by a Mormon. I'm turning in my Lutheran card.

State of Turelisa
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby State of Turelisa » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:38 am

Questarian New Yorkshire wrote:
that was the point dude

And my point is that in Switzerland, where direct democracy is a tradition, the landsgemeinde is retained by only two of the twenty-six cantons. In those cantons, no higher than fifty-percent of citizens participate in them, despite incentives such as lowering the age of participation and free travel on all public transport on the days when they are held. Secret ballot is a part of true democracy.
Last edited by State of Turelisa on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:39 am

Cisairse wrote:
Novus America wrote:

There's plenty of public sector jobs that have similar power dynamics to private sector jobs, and thus really do need unions.

Why not? Why do certain workers get privileged position? Please defend as well your insane statement about the cop strike. We had 85 people shot in an unpoliced section of Chicago. Defend this as being better than a 1000 death a year. You'll be made to look a fool very shortly in a single city.

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:40 am

State of Turelisa wrote:
Questarian New Yorkshire wrote: that was the point dude

And my point is that in Switzerland, where direct democracy is a tradition, the landsgemeinde is retained by only two of the twenty-six cantons. In those cantons, no higher than fifty-percent of citizens participate in them, despite incentives such as lowering the age of participation and free travel on all public transport on the days when they are held.
do you seriously want me to reply to this tier of comment

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:41 am

No doubt our fine progressives simply don't care. It's ok if a 15 year old kid is burned alive in a trash can for not joining a gang, it's much better than being a sinner!

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:44 am

Cisairse wrote:
Novus America wrote:

I am willing to consider extending federal government unionization rules to the state and city levels. But teachers unions also probably have to go.

We cannot be hypocritical and pretend police are the only public employees where unions sometimes get in the way of accountability.
Last edited by Novus America on Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:48 am

Cekoviu wrote:the answer is always yes when you ask this question

i'd agree, but i don't know any saints who could serve as precedent -- i don't believe there've been any with jaws as slack or skulls as empty

God damn. That was fucking spicy. Put on suicide watch by a Mormon. I'm turning in my Lutheran card.

>me
>a mormon
DELET THIS SLANDER
The East Marches II wrote:No doubt our fine progressives simply don't care. It's ok if a 15 year old kid is burned alive in a trash can for not joining a gang, it's much better than being a sinner!

depends on the 15 y/o tbh, some of the ones i've met are real dicks
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:50 am

Cekoviu wrote:

>me
>a mormon
DELET THIS SLANDER
The East Marches II wrote:No doubt our fine progressives simply don't care. It's ok if a 15 year old kid is burned alive in a trash can for not joining a gang, it's much better than being a sinner!

I was not aware Cekoviu was a gamer. God damn.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:51 am

Questarian New Yorkshire wrote:Accountability is unnecessary. Democratic governments are rarely accountable anyway. Not the central ones.

There are many ways to choose a government other than democracy. Monarchy is one of them. The other is having the head of the judiciary be the head of state and the judiciary to select a head of government (or just be the head of government.) The other is to allow trade unions to decide. Etc.

Accountability is necessary even if our current universal suffrage model fails to achieve it.
You need a way to remove bad leaders.

Sure there are less democratic ways of doing that, but straight absolute monarch/dictatorship is not sustainable. It only works as long as the absolute monarch/dictator is good, get a shit one and its total shit.
You need something to protect yourself against a bad leader.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:51 am

Cekoviu wrote:>me
>a mormon
DELET THIS SLANDER

take that back right now

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:52 am

Cekoviu wrote:

take that back right now

Heated gamer moment word incoming :^)

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:54 am

Cekoviu wrote:take that back right now

it's called an epic gamer moment you boomer

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:55 am

Cekoviu wrote:

Shots fired!
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The East Marches II
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches II » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:03 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

Fahran
Forum Moderator

Founded: Nov 13, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Fahran » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:03 pm

Galloism wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:it's called an epic gamer moment you boomer

Shots fired!

The truth shouldn't constitute bullying. Marches is indeed a boomer.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:23 pm

Questarian New Yorkshire wrote:I won't rehash what I said about service = citizenship from XVIII, but basically it's a bad idea.

Democracy is a good thing to have when everyone is more or less equally affected by the outcome and everyone more or less knows each other. So, local elections for local purposes with head of household suffrage. For the central government, just no voting.

We need an absurd hybrid system.
The first round should be selected by democratic means. Then a series of seventy-three cointosses determines the overall victor.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:24 pm

Diopolis wrote:

We need an absurd hybrid system.
The first round should be selected by democratic means. Then a series of seventy-three cointosses determines the overall victor.

this is your best idea yet

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:27 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Diopolis wrote:We need an absurd hybrid system.

this is your best idea yet

Do you invent a new signature every day?
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General