NATION

PASSWORD

RWDT XX: The System Is Kapp Putsch

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which alcoholic beverage is the most right-wing?

Wine (Blood and Body?)
21%
Beer
21%
Vodka
6%
Mead
11%
Whiskey/Whisky
17%
Scotch (option included for Questers and old people)
8%
Rakı (option included specifically for Marches)
4%
Seltzers/Hard Ciders (because the Claw is the LAW)
5%
Gin
4%
Other (Rum/Brandy/Cognac/Tequila)
4%

Total votes : 107

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:20 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
What then is its role in history? As far as I am aware, it doesn't even believe in itself anymore. When you become the darling of the press, it isn't a sign you are an independent power center. It simply reflects who has control of the world situation since after the WW1 situation.

To be honest, I think there is some truth in what you're saying. Although the Church certainly isn't a darling of the press, outside of what they take from Pope Francis's out of context comments. Other than that it's a continuous barrage on its traditionalism and scandals.

The Church doesn't run the West like it used to, which is both a plus and a minus in my view. You're correct in saying that it does, or at least significantly powerful factions in the Church, want the Church to fit in with the Liberal world that's been ruling since WWII. However, there's also a decent movement to maintain the Church as a traditional and counter-liberal force, which will only grow as the liberals eventually die out.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:25 pm

Novus America wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:
What is to say a Romanov restoration wouldn't be an improvement over the current corrupt and amoral kleptocracy that rules Russia currently?

A lot of people backing the Romanov restoration are white nationalists and glorify the infamous “Black Hundreds”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian ... l_Movement https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hundreds

The Romanov regime was notorious for its anti Semitism and poor treatment of ethnic minorities like Siberian Natives and Poles. And its massive expansionist claims and tendencies to invade its neighbors.

Although some of the people supporting its restoration are center right types, it is very likely they would be cooped by much more extreme types.

Also what makes you think it would be less corrupt and kleptocratic? A monarchy can be corrupt and kleptocratic just as easily.

I'm not sure how large RIM is, but they're not a legal party.

There is a legal monarchist party in Russia, and as far as I'm aware they're not based in racial supremacy.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:30 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Novus America wrote:
A lot of people backing the Romanov restoration are white nationalists and glorify the infamous “Black Hundreds”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian ... l_Movement https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hundreds

The Romanov regime was notorious for its anti Semitism and poor treatment of ethnic minorities like Siberian Natives and Poles. And its massive expansionist claims and tendencies to invade its neighbors.

Although some of the people supporting its restoration are center right types, it is very likely they would be cooped by much more extreme types.

Also what makes you think it would be less corrupt and kleptocratic? A monarchy can be corrupt and kleptocratic just as easily.

There is a legal monarchist party in Russia, and as far as I'm aware they're not based in racial supremacy.

this much is true yes
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:34 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

this much is true yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIllc_JeCHU

I'm kind of meh about them. They're not supporting my preferred claimant.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Italios wrote:if you think it's bad now wait until putin kicks the bucket - the major movements in Russia beyond putinism are either monarchists or stalinists, so you're either going to get revamped Romanovs or Cheka on steroids

I don't think Monarchism has much of a chance in Russia. Their party is pretty small, and most people aren't for a restoration.

It would be my hope, however, that if there were a restoration it wouldn't become a racist regime (although from what little I know of the claimants, and of my particular preferred claimant, they're not). I would hope that it would be a resurgence of Eastern Orthodox traditionalism, and emphasize the cultural achievements that developed within the Empire.

Even if the particular claimant is not personally racist, if many of their supporters are it is likely to still be a racist regime.
True monarchism is fringe in Russia but a substantial portion of that fringe likes the Romanov regime for very different reasons than you probably would, such as its brutality towards minorities and violently aggressive foreign policies. Eastern Orthodoxy is interesting in Russia, although most identify with it few attend church regularly, and sometimes even use Putin and Stalin on icons, for many of not most it is more a liking of the aesthetics and associations with power rather than a genuine deep understanding of Christian theology.

The Russian Orthodox Church has major problems with corruption and being exploited as a propaganda arm for the government.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:45 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Novus America wrote:

The RIM though has connections in high places, and is likely supported by the Kremlin.
Sure not all Russian monarchists are racists but it can get hard to separate the legacy of the Romanov regime from the darker aspects of it because many people are drawn to it for the darker reasons.

The question becomes the why. Why like it? Because it was old? Like the look?
Or like it for its racism and violent expansionism?

Any monarchist movement is at risk of drawing in both types. And to gain enough support probably requires both types working together.
Which would be pretty bad. But if they do not work together they splinter the movement making it less politically viable.

It is quite different than Western Europe.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Founded: Nov 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:24 pm

Good evening lads.
REST IN PEACE RWDT & LWDT
I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger, traveling through this world below
There is no sickness, no toil, nor danger, in that bright land to which I go
I'm going there to see my Father, and all my loved ones who've gone on
I'm only going over Jordan, I'm only going over home

I know dark clouds will gather 'round me, I know my way is hard and steep
But beauteous fields arise before me, where God's redeemed, their vigils keep

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:27 pm

Questarian New Yorkshire wrote:Good evening lads.

Salutations!
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:37 pm

oh god you're back
u gonna get mad at me again for pointing out sexism or
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:39 pm

Novus America wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

The RIM though has connections in high places, and is likely supported by the Kremlin.
Sure not all Russian monarchists are racists but it can get hard to separate the legacy of the Romanov regime from the darker aspects of it because many people are drawn to it for the darker reasons.

Any monarchist movement is at risk of drawing in both types. And to gain enough support probably requires both types working together.
Which would be pretty bad. But if they do not work together they splinter the movement making it less politically viable.

When I've talked to Russian monarchists it tends to be the same reasons Monarchists elsewhere prefer monarchism.

As in, the monarchy is an important cultural institution, is preferable to democracy for x reason, royal family was unjustly deposed (especially true for Tsarists), admiration for the persons themselves, anti-communism (again, especially true for Tsarists), religious traditionalism, and nostalgia goggles.

I've never heard racist reasons for monarchism. Which would be contradictory anyway considering all the royals have mixed nationalities.

It should also be noted that the Tsars did plenty of things which were not pogroms, and I wouldn't say that anti-semitism is the defining trait for the Tsars.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:47 pm

Novus America wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

And yet even if one isn't racist, one can see that the Soviet Union and Russia's current oligarchic kleptocracy have both been disasters, and that Tsarist Russia was far more traditional and religious than either.

Questarian New Yorkshire
Minister

Founded: Nov 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Questarian New Yorkshire » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:59 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

oh god you're back
u gonna get mad at me again for pointing out sexism or

I wasnt mad

Did anything interesting on rwdt happen in 2 wks?
REST IN PEACE RWDT & LWDT
I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger, traveling through this world below
There is no sickness, no toil, nor danger, in that bright land to which I go
I'm going there to see my Father, and all my loved ones who've gone on
I'm only going over Jordan, I'm only going over home

I know dark clouds will gather 'round me, I know my way is hard and steep
But beauteous fields arise before me, where God's redeemed, their vigils keep

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:09 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Novus America wrote:

When I've talked to Russian monarchists it tends to be the same reasons Monarchists elsewhere prefer monarchism.

As in, the monarchy is an important cultural institution, is preferable to democracy for x reason, royal family was unjustly deposed (especially true for Tsarists), admiration for the persons themselves, anti-communism (again, especially true for Tsarists), religious traditionalism, and nostalgia goggles.

I've never heard racist reasons for monarchism. Which would be contradictory anyway considering all the royals have mixed nationalities.

It should also be noted that the Tsars did plenty of things which were not pogroms, and I wouldn't say that anti-semitism is the defining trait for the Tsars.

Sure but clearly racist Tsarists exist, as despite the mixture in the royal family the regime was aggressively oppressive towards non ethnic Russian minorities and constantly invading neighbors.

Obviously you do not run in the RIM/Black Hundred revivalist circles but they exist, have power and would be a risk of cooptimg the movement or at least influencing it.

Getting a Tsar back would not fix the underlying issues.

I would not necessarily say it was a defining trait of the Tsars but certainly was a part. This is the issue of looking too much into the past, the past is ugly.

Russia needs to move forward, and maybe it could under a Monarchist regime, maybe it could pull a Japan. But trying to move ahead while looking back is not easy.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:12 pm

Novus America wrote:
I would not necessarily say it was a defining trait of the Tsars but certainly was a part.

You mean like America and racism?

Hell, I'd say America is more historically defined by racism than Russia is.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:16 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
Novus America wrote:

And yet even if one isn't racist, one can see that the Soviet Union and Russia's current oligarchic kleptocracy have both been disasters, and that Tsarist Russia was far more traditional and religious than either.

But just appointing a Tsar would not get rid of the oligarchic kleptocracy, they would maybe just give noble titles to the kleptocrats.
Obviously I am not a big fan of the current regime, but I do not think the answer is in the past.
The Russian Empire was pretty shitty too.

Maybe it could do something like Japan, and move forward under an monarch (although Japan still has issues with the ghosts of the past and racism and crazy ultranationalist groups) but that is not a guarantee.

I have mentioned this before. There are good governments with a monarch, and bad ones. There are good titular republics and bad ones. The monarch v republic is rarely the determining factor.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Jack Thomas Lang
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Thomas Lang » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:17 pm

Salus Maior wrote:You mean like America and racism?

It certainly is, no question. Russia is no different to any other European Empire in that regard. Russia has a larger history of anti-semitism than racism.

Lucja
Attaché

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Lucja » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:17 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
Italios wrote:if you think it's bad now wait until putin kicks the bucket - the major movements in Russia beyond putinism are either monarchists or stalinists, so you're either going to get revamped Romanovs or Cheka on steroids

What is to say a Romanov restoration wouldn't be an improvement over the current corrupt and amoral kleptocracy that rules Russia currently?

Because the Romanov's were just kleptocrats with a crown on their head.
Cyprian Norwid wrote:Ogromne wojska, bitne generały,
Policje - tajne, widne i dwu-płciowe -
Przeciwko komuż tak się pojednały?
- Przeciwko kilku myślom... co nienowe!

Jack Thomas Lang
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Thomas Lang » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:22 pm

Lucja wrote:Because the Romanov's were just kleptocrats with a crown on their head.

That's wrong, and I think a typically modern and cynical view of the past. The Romanov Tsars completely believed in their responsibilities to Russia and its people. They were almost all god-fearing, family men. There are of course exceptions, but as a rule, I believe most monarchs were not cynical tricksters but really believed in their role. I can't say the same for the people that surrounded them though, although there were great Russian reformists of the 19th century, utterly committed to improving Russia. One of the tragedies of Nicholas' reign was ignoring them.
Last edited by Jack Thomas Lang on Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:29 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Novus America wrote:
I would not necessarily say it was a defining trait of the Tsars but certainly was a part.

But we are not trying to recreate our government of the 1800s either.
Or many of our traditions from the time.

There are many similarities to be sure. But that is the issue, the answers are not in the past.
I mean if I had say “make America like it was in the 1800s” thing I am sure it would also draw in plenty of racists.

Maybe Russia can move forward under a monarch, some places have. But we cannot pretend the past was better than it was.
It is easier though when you never lost the monarchy in the first place. It is very hard to argue we should bring back the CSA for example. If the Japanese monarchy had been disbanded bringing it back would raise a lot of questions (well even keeping it did) but they did not have to, they could say they were fixing it. And it still has a lot of issues continuing over from it.

It could be done, but it is not easy and there are going to be a lot of issues to account for.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:33 pm

Novus America wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

There are many similarities to be sure. But that is the issue, the answers are not in the past.
I mean if I had say “make America like it was in the 1800s” thing I am sure it would also draw in plenty of racists.

Maybe Russia can move forward under a monarch, some places have. But we cannot pretend the past was better than it was.
It is easier though when you never lost the monarchy in the first place. It is very hard to argue we should bring back the CSA for example. If the Japanese monarchy had been disbanded bringing it back would raise a lot of questions (well even keeping it did) but they did not have to, they could say they were fixing it. And it still has a lot of issues continuing over from it.

It could be done, but it is not easy and there are going to be a lot of issues to account for.

Nobody wants to make the Russia of the 1800s. Nobody can make the Russia of the 1800's because the 1800's are over. The circumstances which created it are no longer relevant.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:34 pm

Jack Thomas Lang wrote:
Lucja wrote:Because the Romanov's were just kleptocrats with a crown on their head.

That's wrong, and I think a typically modern and cynical view of the past. The Romanov Tsars completely believed in their responsibilities to Russia and its people. They were almost all god-fearing, family men. There are of course exceptions, but as a rule, I believe most monarchs were not cynical tricksters but really believed in their role. I can't say the same for the people that surrounded them though, although there were great Russian reformists of the 19th century, utterly committed to improving Russia. One of the tragedies of Nicholas' reign was ignoring them.

That is the issue. Many meant well. Nicholas II meant well.
I would not call him a kleptocrat but his government has rampant corruption and racism regardless.

The thing is for all their power in theory Russia is very difficult to manage.
True the real problem was ignoring the reformists who wanted to make the Russian Empire better, modernize and improve it over keeping it in place. Had it reformed and modernized (and not done the third partition of Poland) it might have survived.
But it did not.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:39 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Nobody wants to make the Russia of the 1800s. Nobody can make the Russia of the 1800's because the 1800's are over. The circumstances which created it are no longer relevant.

True, but the question is still taking the government of the time and refusing to make it work in the contemporary world. It could be done possibly, something like Spain or Cambodia but it would not be easy and raise countless questions. Who should be the monarch? What powers do they have? How do we deal with the darker parts of the legacy?

And if we cannot answer the questions in a way to please all the different groups then you have the problem of the groups splintering. Like in France when the had a monarchist majority under the beginning of the third republic but the monarchists could not agree with each other on these questions.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Jack Thomas Lang
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Thomas Lang » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:39 pm

Novus America wrote:I would not call him a kleptocrat but his government has rampant corruption and racism regardless.

Continually focusing on the racism of the Russian Empire is more than a little obnoxious. As I've said before, it was no different than any other European Empire. Racism was very much a part of the 19th century and European colonial mindset. It seems like a calculated denigration of the Russian Empire by using a modern boogeyman.
Last edited by Jack Thomas Lang on Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:42 pm

Jack Thomas Lang wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:You mean like America and racism?

It certainly is, no question. Russia is no different to any other European Empire in that regard. Russia has a larger history of anti-semitism than racism.

Anti Semitism can be regarded as racism, and the way the Russian Empire treated native Siberian’s was similar to they way it the US treated Native Americans.

Admittedly in Russia it was often more about culture than race in the poor treatment of minorities as most looked “white”, it never had a large African population of course.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:44 pm

Novus America wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

True, but the question is still taking the government of the time and refusing to make it work in the contemporary world. It could be done possibly, something like Spain or Cambodia but it would not be easy and raise countless questions. Who should be the monarch? What powers do they have? [u]How do we deal with the darker parts of the legacy?
[/u]
And if we cannot answer the questions in a way to please all the different groups then you have the problem of the groups splintering. Like in France when the had a monarchist majority under the beginning of the third republic but the monarchists could not agree with each other on these questions.

The legitimate monarchist party in Russia has already chosen their claimant. RIM as far as I can tell has no claimant.

Are you, as an American, responsible for the racism of your ancestors?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General