NATION

PASSWORD

RWDT XX: The System Is Kapp Putsch

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which alcoholic beverage is the most right-wing?

Wine (Blood and Body?)
21%
Beer
21%
Vodka
6%
Mead
11%
Whiskey/Whisky
17%
Scotch (option included for Questers and old people)
8%
Rakı (option included specifically for Marches)
4%
Seltzers/Hard Ciders (because the Claw is the LAW)
5%
Gin
4%
Other (Rum/Brandy/Cognac/Tequila)
4%

Total votes : 107

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:35 pm

Joohan wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:
Notwithstanding the morally dubious aspects of their ideology, I don't think it is fair to say that they are not clever or intelligent.

I've never understood adopting a religion for the aesthetics.

I mean... I do understand why people do it - it's just So dumb though. A lot of the neoreactionaries out there who say that they are supposedly radtrad catholic and orthodox are really just atheists who enjoy larping as something other than materialists and ideologues.

Well for an agnostic or Deist it makes some sense in that if you have no other way of measuring which one to go with aesthetics is a reason. As they generally care little about (often quite obscure and/or esoteric) arguments over theological issues of little importance to the average layperson.

True, but the why is LARPing can be fun. That and it still helps them get a sense of community.
Last edited by Novus America on Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Deacarsia
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

RWDT XX: The System Is Kapp Putsch

Postby Deacarsia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:36 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Hana is correct,

I always am. ;)

All hail the Hanafuridake, the Great and Powerful!
Visit vaticancatholic.com

Extra Ecclésiam nulla salus

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 pm

Italios wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:
I mean, I've seen some arguments by some religious people about the ultimate beauty of their religion's rites, such as the sacrament, and how they hope they are true. Larpers are annoying, but I'd consider them a bit different from aestheticists.

why is it so trendy to hate on tradcaths now anyways? their personal relationship with God is not anyone's business but their own, and all of them have a really good understanding of catholic (or orthodox, I use term tradcath loosely) theology, and easily name more ecumenical councils than the average lapsed cultural irish-italian-american catholic.

Real, serious tradcaths are fine. The people I have a problem with are the alt-right racists, sexists, and homophobes who try to use Catholic traditionalism as a cover for their hateful ideology.

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:42 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
Joohan wrote:
Well, if you what you believe is the literal word of God, then certainly it follows that you would wish for others to be on the right path too. That seems pretty reasonable given the thought process. Can't help it when people have strong opinions

The idea of religion as something private seems like one either doesn't fully believe in their religion and/or that they believe in secularism more. As much as I dislike tradcaths, I think they have more logic behind their beliefs than Episcopalians who somehow think God's will stops where the state begins.

Unlike many modern day Episcopalians, the Church of England certainly didn't traditionally think that God's will irrelevent to the state. :^)

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:43 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
Italios wrote:why is it so trendy to hate on tradcaths now anyways? their personal relationship with God is not anyone's business but their own, and all of them have a really good understanding of catholic (or orthodox, I use term tradcath loosely) theology, and easily name more ecumenical councils than the average lapsed cultural irish-italian-american catholic.

Real, serious tradcaths are fine. The people I have a problem with are the alt-right racists, sexists, and homophobes who try to use Catholic traditionalism as a cover for their hateful ideology.

I mean, it'd be pretty hard to argue that sexism and homophobia aren't essential parts of Catholic traditionalism.

Women aren't allowed to become priests and gays are considered sinful and unable to marry.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:44 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:I think you're overestimating the cleverness of neoreactionaries, tbh.

Notwithstanding the morally dubious aspects of their ideology, I don't think it is fair to say that they are not clever or intelligent.

TBF most (especially extreme) groups tend to have a core of the more well read and intellectual surrounded by large numbers of rose with less understanding of the details.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:46 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:
The idea of religion as something private seems like one either doesn't fully believe in their religion and/or that they believe in secularism more. As much as I dislike tradcaths, I think they have more logic behind their beliefs than Episcopalians who somehow think God's will stops where the state begins.

Unlike many modern day Episcopalians, the Church of England certainly didn't traditionally think that God's will irrelevent to the state. :^)

Although the traditional Church of England barely exists anymore.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:48 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:Real, serious tradcaths are fine. The people I have a problem with are the alt-right racists, sexists, and homophobes who try to use Catholic traditionalism as a cover for their hateful ideology.

I mean, it'd be pretty hard to argue that sexism and homophobia aren't essential parts of Catholic traditionalism.

Women aren't allowed to become priests and gays are considered sinful and unable to marry.

Yeah, but I still think people can believe in the traditional views of the Catholic church on gender and sexuality without acting like a hateful hypocritical jerk about it. One can believe in traditional gender roles without treating all women as either property or devilish whores, and one can oppose same-sex relationships without always acting hateful and hostile towards LGBT people.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:48 pm

Novus America wrote:
New haven america wrote:And if someone tells you no, they don't believe in your personal beliefs and would rather everyone have the choice about what they want to follow and believe, and said hypothetical tradcath never let's up or doesn't take no for an answer, well now we have an issue, don't we?

Not really. Just do not talk to them if you find them rude or annoying. I mean it is their freedom to advocate their beliefs just as you are free to advocate yours.

Well, except you can't because a lot of them have been successful at getting religious doctrine turned into actual national law.

Or would you like examples of how we're still dealing with the consequences of the US' puritanical origins?
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:53 pm

New haven america wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Not really. Just do not talk to them if you find them rude or annoying. I mean it is their freedom to advocate their beliefs just as you are free to advocate yours.

Well, except you can't because a lot of them have been successful at getting religious doctrine turned into actual national law.

Or would you like examples of how we're still dealing with the consequences of the US' puritanical origins?

Well that is how a democratic system of government works. The will of the people is typically enacted into law - and if a people are generally quite religious, then it can be expected that the legislation which they push for will have some basis in whatever dogma is most prevalent at the time. That's not really a problem with religion though, rather, the democratic system in general.

People with opposing viewpoints turn things I disagree with into law!!!
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:54 pm

New haven america wrote:
Novus America wrote:Not really. Just do not talk to them if you find them rude or annoying. I mean it is their freedom to advocate their beliefs just as you are free to advocate yours.

Historically the United States has been mostly controlled by Protestants, rather than Roman Catholics. And even though there is more Roman Catholic representation in US politics nowadays, most supposedly Catholic politicians in the US either promote the bastardized version of the Protestant work ethic of the Republican Party or the same ideology as secular progressive and ignore the actual body of Catholic Social Teaching promulgated by actual popes and papally endorsed theologians.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:54 pm

New haven america wrote:
Novus America wrote:

But see they still have the right. The right to argue a different political stance than you do, even a right to argue against the first amendment ave separation of church and state.

You want to change things including the law to suit your ideology, they theirs. Neither is necessarily wrong for that. Now you of course can fairly say you strongly object to their politics and that you will oppose them, as is your right, but really it is you have a different political viewpoint than they do.

I do not necessarily agree with what they are selling, but they problem is not them excercising the right to sell it.

“It is wrong to advocate something I am against” is a dangerous path to go down.

And Puritans hated Catholics. Two very different things.
Last edited by Novus America on Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:54 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:

Yeah, but I still think people can believe in the traditional views of the Catholic church on gender and sexuality without acting like a hateful hypocritical jerk about it. One can believe in traditional gender roles without treating all women as either property or devilish whores, and one can oppose same-sex relationships without always acting hateful and hostile towards LGBT people.

Even polite bigotry is ultimately bigotry, denying women the same social functions as men and same sex couples equal marital rights under the law are sexist and homophobic no matter how polite a person is about them.
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:57 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:

Even polite bigotry is ultimately bigotry, denying women the same social functions as men and same sex couples equal marital rights under the law are sexist and homophobic no matter how polite a person is about them.

Yes
Last edited by Joohan on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:02 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:I mean, it'd be pretty hard to argue that sexism and homophobia aren't essential parts of Catholic traditionalism.

Although I do adhere to dogma concerning Holy Orders; I have no real issue with women doing basically anything else. Including holding power and authority over men, as would be the case with a female Monarch.

And tbh, I would consider some Saintly women to be better spiritual authorities than some priests.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:09 pm

New haven america wrote:
Novus America wrote:

"Puritanical origins", eh?

New England may have origins with the Congregationalists, but elsewhere it was completely different.

The South was settled by second-born noble sons who sought cash and land, the Middle States by Quakers who believed in religious and ethnic tolerance where diversity was the norm.

I really doubt you know very much about the origins of this country, or its ethnic-religious makeup outside of what you learned in a thanksgiving play.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:10 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:I mean, it'd be pretty hard to argue that sexism and homophobia aren't essential parts of Catholic traditionalism.

Although I do adhere to dogma concerning Holy Orders; I have no real issue with women doing basically anything else. Including holding power and authority over men, as would be the case in a female Monarch.

And tbh, I would consider some Saintly women to be better spiritual authorities than some priests.

That's the thing though, if someone said that a woman shouldn't be able to be a president or monarch, most people would justifiably consider that sexist. The fact that you make sure to affirm that you consider women capable in other areas shows that you're morally uncomfortable with sexism. It's going to be a major source of stress for Catholicism as it tries to justify the double standard.
Theravada Buddhist

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:10 pm

Cekoviu wrote:Even more important question: who overall is the hottest 20th century retro dictator? The winner will be briefly reanimated (if ViaGen stops screening my calls, that is) and all voters will be entered into a raffle to have the result mailed to their house. Here are the options:
- Augusto Pinochet
- Adolf Hitler
- Benito Mussolini
- Enver Hoxha
- Ferdinand Marcos
- Fidel Castro
- Francisco Franco
- Ho Chi Minh
- Idi Amin
- Josef Stalin
- Josep Broz Tito
- Kim Il-sung
- Mao Zedong
- Nicolae Ceausescu
- Pol Pot
- Vladimir Lenin

I obviously have to vote for Stalin, hbu?

edit: added Ceausescu smdh

Young Pinochet doesn't look half bad. Kim Il-sung and Castro have their own charm.
Last edited by Northern Davincia on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:13 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
Although I do adhere to dogma concerning Holy Orders; I have no real issue with women doing basically anything else. Including holding power and authority over men, as would be the case in a female Monarch.

That's the thing though, if someone said that a woman shouldn't be able to be a president or monarch, most people would justifiably consider that sexist. The fact that you make sure to affirm that you consider women capable in other areas shows that you're morally uncomfortable with sexism. It's going to be a major source of stress for Catholicism as it tries to justify the double standard.

If a woman wants to serve the church, she may become a nun.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Exalted Inquellian State
Senator

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Exalted Inquellian State » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:15 pm

Okay, why don't we discuss a fictional country? Was the confederacy of independent systems right(let's assume Palpatine gets kiled ealry on and someone else leads it, so there's no sith puppeting)?
My Kaiserreich Cold War RP-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=507613&sid=a338bded6a6009aba44e8b2d0d1d04c4
My Kaiserreich/The Burning Sun German Empire Political Roleplay-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=514195&sid=fd8a29ac7c4e1a97e9bc4266e116a56f

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:16 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:

So you are okay with sexism as long as it is admitted to be sexist?
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:17 pm

Novus America wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:

No, but I think being frank about it is the first step to actually having a discussion about it.
Theravada Buddhist

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:17 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

I'm not uncomfortable with the dogma of Holy Orders. There's a number of reasons why the Priesthood is single-sex and male-only (which is the case in all the ancient Churches outside of Catholicism) which don't hinge on the idea that women are lesser than men on an intrinsic level. Just a reminder, a woman is considered the greatest and holiest of all Christians, beyond even the Apostles.

Edit: If there were a royal tradition that excluded women from inheritance, which I'm certain there are, I wouldn't call it ideal but I wouldn't suggest changing it. It is, after all, their own tradition.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:21 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
Novus America wrote:

No, but I think being frank about it is the first step to actually having a discussion about it.

You support traditional monarchies that are sexist in their structure like Japan. So it seems interesting you find sexist traditions inherently wrong.
I am against legally imposed sexism but I understand traditional organizations have traditional gender roles.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Jack Thomas Lang
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Thomas Lang » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:27 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:That's the thing though, if someone said that a woman shouldn't be able to be a president or monarch, most people would justifiably consider that sexist. The fact that you make sure to affirm that you consider women capable in other areas shows that you're morally uncomfortable with sexism. It's going to be a major source of stress for Catholicism as it tries to justify the double standard.

The only people uncomfortable with male-only priests are liberals, and they're uncomfortable with almost anything "regressive" or "conservative" in the Church. Essentially, it's just one more front of the liberal-conservative conflict within Christianity, rather than being a separate issue of its own.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General