NATION

PASSWORD

Love vs Money

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I choose

Love
54%
Money
46%

Total votes : 133

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:54 pm

Ankenland wrote:Another way of posing this question is to ask:

What is harder to get - a suitable mate, or several million dollars?

There is only one right answer to this question, and if you can't figure out the answer, I don't know how to help you.

and for you what is the answer?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:59 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:What's more important, a human bond or a mountain of gold?

Of course, a human bond with someone who loves you, and whom you love (assuming we're talking consensual love and not some magic zip-zap no-will shit), is something precious and eminently more valuable than money.

More money is printed each and every day. You can go out and earn it (as the scenario even states). You can never print another one of an individual person.

there's a probability that you'll become rich if you choose the True Love

just as there's a probability that you'll find the True Love or an acceptable Love if you choose the money

it seems balanced to me

not many people find themselves in a happy long term relationship; it's also true that not many people (starting poor) end up rich... no matter what you choose, you have to play the other game against odds that are stacked against you (half or more of relationships fail, an even higher percentage of poor people never become rich)

I'd say this and the poll results show that this scenario is mostly perceived as Balanced and Fair and that you can approach it through many valid POVs
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:13 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:What's more important, a human bond or a mountain of gold?

Of course, a human bond with someone who loves you, and whom you love (assuming we're talking consensual love and not some magic zip-zap no-will shit), is something precious and eminently more valuable than money.

More money is printed each and every day. You can go out and earn it (as the scenario even states). You can never print another one of an individual person.

just as there's a probability that you'll find the True Love or an acceptable Love if you choose the money

it seems balanced to me

not many people find themselves in a happy long term relationship; it's also true that not many people (starting poor) end up rich... no matter what you choose, you have to play the other game against odds that are stacked against you (half or more of relationships fail, an even higher percentage of poor people never become rich)

I'd say this and the poll results show that this scenario is mostly perceived as Balanced and Fair and that you can approach it through many valid POVs

That was not the terms outlined. The options were:

1. You would meet someone who loved you and with whom you would have a long-term relationship; your "True Love"; implying a long and happy marriage. You would have no more chance of anyone else of wealth -- but that's life.
2. You would become rich and have a 50-80% chance of divorce.

In your own words:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
If you choose Love, then you will meet a very viable long term partner who will also be interested in you. In effect, you will come close to the realization of True Love. Your income will stay as is (modest to low), you get no help. Work hard, be a good capitalist, maybe it goes up... maybe the whole American Dream thing is just a lie. Who’s to say? But you get no supernatural help.

If you choose Money, then you will instantly become (legally) as rich as a Lannister to the point where you may viably choose not to work. As for your relationship status, that depends on you and your luck alone. You get no help there. Use the money if you want for this too if you want but know that you’ll have to deal with the real 50-80 percent unhappiness/break up/divorce probability.

Be advised that, following the much-remembered flooding of one poll, I disregard every poll on these threads. I take note of only what players say.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:16 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

it seems balanced to me

That was not the terms outlined. The options were:

1. You would meet someone who loved you and with whom you would have a long-term relationship; your "True Love"; implying a long and happy marriage. You would have no more chance of anyone else of wealth -- but that's life.

In your own words:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
If you choose Love, then you will meet a very viable long term partner who will also be interested in you. In effect, you will come close to the realization of True Love. Your income will stay as is (modest to low), you get no help. Work hard, be a good capitalist, maybe it goes up... maybe the whole American Dream thing is just a lie. Who’s to say? But you get no supernatural help.

If you choose Money, then you will instantly become (legally) as rich as a Lannister to the point where you may viably choose not to work. As for your relationship status, that depends on you and your luck alone. You get no help there. Use the money if you want for this too if you want but know that you’ll have to deal with the real 50-80 percent unhappiness/break up/divorce probability.

Be advised that, following the much-remembered flooding of one poll, I disregard every poll on these threads. I take note of only what players say.

how's that different from what I just said now?

a probability = a possibility (however remote)
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:26 am

Diahon wrote:
Ankenland wrote:Another way of posing this question is to ask:

What is harder to get - a suitable mate, or several million dollars?

There is only one right answer to this question, and if you can't figure out the answer, I don't know how to help you.

depends on the person, of course

Indeed

There's nothing all that self-evident about the choices

it all comes down to personal values and your individual weighing of the pros and cons

that's the wonderful thing about these thought experiments; they are intended to draw out these types of introspection

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:32 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:That was not the terms outlined. The options were:

In your own words:

I was about to issue a partial retraction, but you edited your post, and I do have to correct you on a statistical point:

Probability and possibility are not the same. Probability is a mathematical word, used when talking about ratio and usually when talking about something that has a larger change of happening. Possibility is used to describe something that may/may not happen. The difference is subtle, but it's definitely there.

I'd also like to raise a problem with this:
Infected Mushroom wrote:not many people find themselves in a happy long term relationship;

Research shows that three-quarters of couples who marry in the 90s will be likely to make their fifteenth anniversary (up from a 65% chance from couples who married in the 80s).

Incidentally, research also shows wealthy couples are more likely to have communication problems, as wealth can bring entitlement and rigidity. Thus, they may have shorter and less happy marriages.

That in mind: definitely love.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:36 am

Having 'True Love' fall into one's lap would certainly make life a whole lot better. Assuming one didn't take it for granted or start acting like a douche, you'd have a loyal partner who was worth more than their weight in gold to depend upon.

God, I sound like a sappy idiot right now, don't I?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:39 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

I was about to issue a partial retraction, but you edited your post, and I do have to correct you on a statistical point:

Probability and possibility are not the same. Probability is a mathematical word, used when talking about ratio and usually when talking about something that has a larger change of happening. Possibility is used to describe something that may/may not happen. The difference is subtle, but it's definitely there.

Infected Mushroom wrote:not many people find themselves in a happy long term relationship;

Research shows that three-quarters of couples who marry in the 90s will be likely to make their fifteenth anniversary (up from a 65% chance from couples who married in the 80s).

Incidentally, research also shows wealthy couples are more likely to have communication problems, as wealth can bring entitlement and rigidity. Thus, they may have shorter and less happy marriages.

Incorrect

Probability = Possibility

There is a probability of something happening = there is a possibility of something happening

the probability can be 100%, 50%, or 0.000000000001%

In all three cases and in every other case, a probability and a possibility exists

I haven't done any research on the correlation between wealth and divorce but I would imagine that marriages of poor people are less happy because they have less money to buy things, all else being equal

Perhaps a wealthy marriage is more likely to "fail" and result in divorce but only because both parties can "afford" to divorce... while in a poorer marriage, the rates MAY be higher (not sure if they are) but that's possibly because one or both parties, though stuck in unhappiness, is afraid involving the courts or afraid that they can't afford a divorce

Again, not sure

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:50 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:I was about to issue a partial retraction, but you edited your post, and I do have to correct you on a statistical point:

Incorrect

There is a probability of something happening = there is a possibility of something happening

In all three cases and in every other case, a probability and a possibility exists

I actually do know what I'm talking about with stats. So, don't talk bull.

Here, laid out in plain English for you (the underlined bits are most pertinent for you), by Grammarist:

Possibility and probability are similar in meaning, but there is a slight difference.[…]

Possibility describes something that might occur, the chance that something might happen. The term possibility may refer to something with a great chance of happening or a small chance of happening. In actual use, the word possibility is most often used when talking about something that has a lesser chance of occuring. The word possibility is derived from the Latin word possibilitas which means able to be done.[...]

Probability also describes something that might occur, the chance that something might happen. The term probability is used in mathematics as a ratio. In the strictest since, the word probability may refer to something with a great chance of happening or a small chance of happening, but in actual use, the word probability is most often used when talking about something that has a greater chance of occuring. The word probability is derived from the Latin word probabilitas, which means provable.

I haven't done any research on the correlation between wealth and divorce but I would imagine that marriages of poor people are less happy because they have less money to buy things, all else being equal

Perhaps a wealthy marriage is more likely to "fail" and result in divorce but only because both parties can "afford" to divorce... while in a poorer marriage, the rates MAY be higher (not sure if they are) but that's possibly because one or both parties, though stuck in unhappiness, is afraid involving the courts or afraid that they can't afford a divorce

Again, not sure

I have done research. It's above and available for you to read. Enjoy.

I suggest you don't make wild theories -- as above -- until you have done research.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:54 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Incorrect

I actually do know what I'm talking about with stats. So, don't talk bull.

Here, laid out in plain English for you (the underlined bits are most pertinent for you), by Grammarist:

Possibility and probability are similar in meaning, but there is a slight difference.[…]

Possibility describes something that might occur, the chance that something might happen. The term possibility may refer to something with a great chance of happening or a small chance of happening. In actual use, the word possibility is most often used when talking about something that has a lesser chance of occuring. The word possibility is derived from the Latin word possibilitas which means able to be done.[...]

Probability also describes something that might occur, the chance that something might happen. The term probability is used in mathematics as a ratio. In the strictest since, the word probability may refer to something with a great chance of happening or a small chance of happening, but in actual use, the word probability is most often used when talking about something that has a greater chance of occuring. The word probability is derived from the Latin word probabilitas, which means provable.

Again, not sure

I suggest you don't make wild theories -- as above -- until you have done research.

I don't need to do any research to make the plain and obvious claim that there is a probability for the other outcome in addition to the first outcome you've already selected

it's simple logic that just because you're rich, you can still have a probability of finding True Love... or that if you choose to have True Love, there is still a probability of making the American Dreams

I don't need sources for those claims

Also, for all intents and purposes beyond the pedantic... if I say "there is a possibility that X will win" it's the same as saying "there is a probability that X will win" or "there is a chance that X will win"

it's completely irrelevant which phrasing is used; I have no idea why you're making a mountain out of a mole hill about this really

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:01 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:I actually do know what I'm talking about with stats. So, don't talk bull.

I don't need to do any research to make the plain and obvious claim that there is a probability for the other outcome in addition to the first outcome you've already selected

it's simple logic that just because you're rich, you can still have a probability of finding True Love... or that if you choose to have True Love, there is still a probability of making the American Dreams

You do need to provide evidence, however, to start flinging around wild claims that the poor are -- though you've done no research -- as/if not more unhappy than some of the married wealthy.

Also, for all intents and purposes beyond the pedantic... if I say "there is a possibility that X will win" it's the same as saying "there is a probability that X will win" or "there is a chance that X will win"

it's completely irrelevant which phrasing is used; I have no idea why you're making a mountain out of a mole hill about this really

It is not the same. Probability expresses a greater likelihood of an event (gaining wealth; finding love); possibility is a lesser likelihood. Had you accepted it was not the same, rather that kept insisting -- again, in the face of evidence -- that it were, I would not have kept arguing the point. Bonus points if you verified if the likelihood were lesser (possible) or greater (probable).

Still as your apparent elective immunity to any and all evidence contrary to your own worldview -- even demonstrable evidence, on the small but notable difference between probability and possibility -- is scarcely new and I do not wish to remain here and argue fruitlessly, I shall leave the point while emphasising that I am in no way ceding it.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jetan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jetan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:26 am

Love. Sure, it'd be nice to not have to work but I don't need that much. I'm already on the modest to low income bracket anyway and doing fine. I'd much rather find someone I love and who loves me back. I value that more than money, and it's the one thing that money can't buy either.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me.
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
32 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

Ceterum autem censeo Putinem esse delendum

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:53 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

You do need to provide evidence, however, to start flinging around wild claims that the poor are -- though you've done no research -- as/if not more unhappy than some of the married wealthy.

It is not the same. Probability expresses a greater likelihood of an event (gaining wealth; finding love); possibility is a lesser likelihood. Had you accepted it was not the same, rather that kept insisting -- again, in the face of evidence -- that it were, I would not have kept arguing the point. Bonus points if you verified if the likelihood were lesser (possible) or greater (probable).

Still as your apparent elective immunity to any and all evidence contrary to your own worldview -- even demonstrable evidence, on the small but notable difference between probability and possibility -- is scarcely new and I do not wish to remain here and argue fruitlessly, I shall leave the point while emphasising that I am in no way ceding it.

From my understanding of English saying “there’s a chance x could happen”, “there’s a possibility x could happen” and “there’s a probability x could happen” is close to the same thing

The differences are irrelevant

Probability just means it’s theoretically, though perhaps not practically possible, to assign a number to quantity the chance/possibility

There’s a casual use of “probability” that equates to probable, however, I’m using the statistics version which is the same thing as chance and possibility except with a theoretical quantification

Statement doesn’t go to imply a greater likelihood than possibility

And even possibility can range 0.00001 and less to 100

Same as probability

As for sourcing, there’s no need to source the simple fact generally speaking, more is better (unless you subscribe to some anti-materialistic religion or something)

There are exceptions but the rich have more options
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:11 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:You start with a modest to low income, no relationship.

You are then presented with a choice: Love or Money.

So what will you choose?

Will the values of Harry Potter, Disney, and Twilight (where Love conquers all) prevail or does the power of Gold truly prevail?

Is true success measured by the heart’s satisfaction or by the size of one’s wallet?

What’s more important, the human bond between two people or a mountain of gold and platinum?

Is True Love worthless and destined to wane when one is potentially found wanting for cold hard cash? Or will all the halls of splendor crumble where there be no one honest to share these heights with?

Tell me brothers and sisters... what will you choose? Why?

I choose the money. This is because with the money, I shall finally buy the freedom to do what I want when I want for the rest of my life. Money cannot buy true love but perhaps it can buy a measure of freedom.

I already made the choice. A modest income with a loving marriage.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Urlendia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 02, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Urlendia » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:48 am

I'll take love because I'm sappy.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:19 am

Albrenia wrote:Having 'True Love' fall into one's lap would certainly make life a whole lot better. Assuming one didn't take it for granted or start acting like a douche, you'd have a loyal partner who was worth more than their weight in gold to depend upon.

God, I sound like a sappy idiot right now, don't I?

Not as much as I do.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Xeng He
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Xeng He » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:27 am

Money isn't just money. It's also learning and significance. Taking that all day.
Blazedtown wrote:[an ism is] A term used by people who won't admit their true beliefs, or don't have any.
[spoiler=Quotes]
Galloism: ...social media is basically cancer. I’d like to reiterate that social media is bringing the downfall of society in a lot of ways.
I'm Not Telling You It's Going to Be Easy, I'm Telling You It's Going to be Worth It.
Oh my god this comic

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:45 am

Romantic love, if properly fostered, still isn't comparable to the totality of God's love which we already have. I choose money over romantic love; I would donate that money to the Catholic Church, specifically Opus Dei.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:57 am

I'm ace. So money.

Big Jim P wrote:I already made the choice. A modest income with a loving marriage.

But also, I respect this.
Last edited by The Holy Therns on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:59 am

Balance. While striving to make money, I would remain open to the prospect of finding love. Or get a cat.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:00 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Balance. While striving to make money, I would remain open to the prospect of finding love. Or get a cat.

Money can get you all the cats.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
Also, N A N A ! ! !

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:00 am

The Holy Therns wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Balance. While striving to make money, I would remain open to the prospect of finding love. Or get a cat.

And then some.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:02 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Holy Therns wrote:

And then some.

And now, to disguise myself as a cat and finally snag Nana away from St. Elmo.

Mwahahahahaha!
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
Also, N A N A ! ! !

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:04 am

The Holy Therns wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
And then some.

And now, to disguise myself as a cat and finally snag Nana away from St. Elmo.

Mwahahahahaha!

The quest is a-starting. Will the feline vixen from the cold North succeed in estinguishing St. Elmo’s sputtering candle? Stay tuned for another episode of “How I Met All Your Moms”. Weeknights at 9/8 central.
Slava Ukraini

Vazkin
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazkin » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:09 am

I would take the money. In general, I hardly care about anyone and overall I am not interested in any sort of romance or love. I would prefer having the ability to do almost anything I feel like. But I would avoid being a snob, I hate those rich assholes and celebrities who flaunt their wealth on social media or think of themselves as better than others. I wouldn't buy a mansion or some super car, but I would enjoy being able to travel wherever and do whatever.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General