NATION

PASSWORD

Love vs Money

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I choose

Love
54%
Money
46%

Total votes : 133

Ankenland
Envoy

Founded: Mar 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ankenland » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:42 pm

Or, you can just breathe other air. It's air. It's free. There's plenty.

That's why this question is stupid. Or, the question isn't stupid - the answers are stupid.

Here I am telling you that "true love" is a made-up thing, but really, you are all a sad lot if you think that you couldn't find real love anyway if you were liberated of all material need by the surprise injection of billions of dollars, and so could devote all of your time to that.

This betrays a terrible pessimism about other people, and fundamentally, about yourselves.
Last edited by Ankenland on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arkhane
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 29, 2012
Libertarian Police State

Postby Arkhane » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:44 pm

Diahon wrote:
Arkhane wrote:Love sustains people more effectively than money.

if i love mankind but have little money to show my love thus, wouldn't having an endless supply of money sustain my love effectively indefinitely?

If your love for humanity can only be made manifest if you have money, then I question your kind of love. There are many people who have saved and cared for thousands of lives without a penny to their name.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:46 pm

Ankenland wrote:Or, you can just breathe other air. It's air. It's free. There's plenty.

That's why this question is stupid. Or, the question isn't stupid - the answers are stupid.

Here I am telling you that "true love" is a made-up thing, but really, you are all a sad lot if you think that you couldn't find real love anyway if you were liberated of all material need by the surprise injection of billions of dollars, and so could devote all of your time to that.

This betrays a terrible pessimism about other people, and fundamentally, about yourselves.

Well, people who picked love were already accused of being selfish, so that makes sense.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Ankenland
Envoy

Founded: Mar 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ankenland » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:47 pm

Arkhane wrote:There are many people who have saved and cared for thousands of lives without a penny to their name.

How many people could I employ and task to this labor with the thread money option?

Diahon wrote:a harem

no kink-shaming

Hey, guess what costs money?

That's right, a harem.

Also, everything else.

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:54 pm

Arkhane wrote:
Diahon wrote:
if i love mankind but have little money to show my love thus, wouldn't having an endless supply of money sustain my love effectively indefinitely?

If your love for humanity can only be made manifest if you have money, then I question your kind of love. There are many people who have saved and cared for thousands of lives without a penny to their name.

there are many things with which money can solve if you have the right mindset

you bring up the examples of many, many selfless people offering up their time and their lives to the service of humanity with nary a cent to their name

i commend them, i extol them, but they in the end cannot sustain themselves

we need structure, we need method, we need something that can fuel that love and give it form indefinitely

human lives are finite
human suffering is potentially infinite
but with a structure built not just out of altruism but of an analysis of the frailties of human nature, greased along by millions and billions, we will perhaps be able to put a dent on human suffering

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:03 pm

Arkhane wrote:
Diahon wrote:

Being able to provide clean water supplies, schools and hospitals would still make vastly more and lasting impact than a picture of you and your one true love I fear.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Nouveau Yathrib
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nouveau Yathrib » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:10 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Nouveau Yathrib wrote:Would I rather be guaranteed True Love or would I rather be guaranteed F***-You Money?

I'm very tempted to go with the money, but tbh having billionaire level wealth would be socially isolating. I'd probably lose most of my current friends with it and my relatives might become gold diggers. Sure it would enable me to act out my fuccboi fantasies and to travel around the world (among other things), but the "real 50-80 percent unhappiness/break up/divorce probability" condition is depressing.

Gonna have to narrowly go with Love on this one. I think how people answer mostly depends on how they grew up and what their current financial/romantic situation is.

Being charitable with one's wealth is virtuous.

Fostering that kind of love for our fellow humans is what God calls us to do. It's a shame to pass without contributing to the common good of humankind.

If I'm interpreting the OP correctly, I would still be filthy rich even if I give 99% (maybe even 99.9%) of my wealth away, whether to friends and family or to the betterment of humanity. In which case I would still need to deal with the consequences of foregoing guaranteed true love for a possibly tumultuous and drama-filled personal life.

Maybe I'm still reeling from the aftershock of Parasite (which I saw last weekend), or maybe I'm too firm a believer in Disney fairytales.
I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7. Copy and paste onto your sig if you were alive when this happened.

This account is the predecessor state of Jamilkhuze and Syfenq. This is how they're different, and this is why they exist.

We are currently in the year 2181. About Us | Factbooks | Past and Future History | OOC Info | Public Relations | iiWiki | Q&A

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:30 pm

In most scenarios where I'm rich, I can only assume that while it may be a lot in terms of wealth, there are clear limits to where I can't just spend it recklessly; otherwise I might run out. But if I have something absurd like $100 billion+, that'd perhaps enable various vannity projects- provided I limit that to a few as opposed to getting carried away as to become poor.

I think the main one would perhaps be in recreating a practical and true to life version of Rivendell/Imladris from the Tolkien legendarium in terms of architecture. If I built a city just like that, it'd look truly splendid, and enough of a challenge to be proud of if it all came together. I see it being a town/city, but with the zoning requiring every development to have the Elvish castle/palace theme in terms of the exteriors.

If a suitable mountain valley with enough rivers/waterfalls/etc. can't be found. It'd be even harder to artificially make it so in transforming the surrounding landscape, but maybe it can be done to some extent.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:37 pm

Nouveau Yathrib wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Being charitable with one's wealth is virtuous.

Fostering that kind of love for our fellow humans is what God calls us to do. It's a shame to pass without contributing to the common good of humankind.

If I'm interpreting the OP correctly, I would still be filthy rich even if I give 99% (maybe even 99.9%) of my wealth away, whether to friends and family or to the betterment of humanity. In which case I would still need to deal with the consequences of foregoing guaranteed true love for a possibly tumultuous and drama-filled personal life.

Maybe I'm still reeling from the aftershock of Parasite (which I saw last weekend), or maybe I'm too firm a believer in Disney fairytales.

It's not the worst thing to live without a romantic relationship especially when you realize that God loves you more than anyone is capable. If I had $100 billion to give to the church I would do it in a heartbeat. No one needs all of that money individually, and to hoard all of that would make it extremely difficult to get into heaven.
Last edited by Sundiata on Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Arkhane
Diplomat

Libertarian Police State

Postby Arkhane » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:05 am

Diahon wrote:
Arkhane wrote:

you bring up the examples of many, many selfless people offering up their time and their lives to the service of humanity with nary a cent to their name

we need structure, we need method, we need something that can fuel that love and give it form indefinitely

human lives are finite
but with a structure built not just out of altruism but of an analysis of the frailties of human nature, greased along by millions and billions, we will perhaps be able to put a dent on human suffering

"The right mindset"

Oh, you mean like love? :\

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:07 am

Arkhane wrote:
Diahon wrote:

human lives are finite

"The right mindset"

yes?

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:07 am

Arkhane wrote:
Diahon wrote:

human lives are finite

"The right mindset"

But not just love for a single person deemed "the one".

Saint Nicholas and the Hussars
Envoy

Founded: Feb 28, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Nicholas and the Hussars » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:09 am

Hire a person and then kill them using hit man and then bribe everyone who attempts to prosecute me, then murder them and get money back. Of course, if that doesn’t work, I just hit them. Then personally kill hitman. Rinse and repeat until all have died

OF COURSE by “hiring” I mean using my EXCELLENT CHARISMA SKILLS obtained from my partner. Who so happens to notice my every flaw and fix it, and therefore I am able to bribe everyone using words and do whatever I desire with WORBS
Howtoremoveanarchistscumfromnationstates.mp4
Proud sponsor of BARYITE MACHINE CORPORATION™©™ (Powering Manipulation™)™™

Arkhane
Diplomat

Libertarian Police State

Postby Arkhane » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:11 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Arkhane wrote:
"The right mindset"

If "the one" actually, sincerely loves you, they will desire a better world for you, and if you love them back, I don't see why your love cannot be shared to others.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:11 am

Saint Nicholas and the Hussars wrote:Hire a person and then kill them using hit man and then bribe everyone who attempts to prosecute me, then murder them and get money back. Of course, if that doesn’t work, I just hit them. Then personally kill hitman. Rinse and repeat until all have died

OF COURSE by “hiring” I mean using my EXCELLENT CHARISMA SKILLS obtained from my partner. Who so happens to notice my every flaw and fix it, and therefore I am able to bribe everyone using words and do whatever I desire with WORBS

Ah, fair enough. If I am allowed to assume I will be so filthy rich that I can help the world, you are allowed to assume your ideal mate has superpowers :)

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:12 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Arkhane wrote:
"The right mindset"

too selfish -- not that i begrudge those who take that option

Saint Nicholas and the Hussars
Envoy

Founded: Feb 28, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Nicholas and the Hussars » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:13 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Saint Nicholas and the Hussars wrote:Hire a person and then kill them using hit man and then bribe everyone who attempts to prosecute me, then murder them and get money back. Of course, if that doesn’t work, I just hit them. Then personally kill hitman. Rinse and repeat until all have died

Ah, fair enough. If I am allowed to assume I will be so filthy rich that I can help the world, you are allowed to assume your ideal mate has superpowers :)

YEAS OF COURSE BECAUS THE LOVE ASPECT WOULD INCLUDE THAT RIGHT GUYS TOOTALLY AHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

I jest. I would do as planned before the all caps part with the money. Of course it would work, right?
Howtoremoveanarchistscumfromnationstates.mp4
Proud sponsor of BARYITE MACHINE CORPORATION™©™ (Powering Manipulation™)™™

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:13 am

Arkhane wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

If "the one" actually, sincerely loves you, they will desire a better world for you, and if you love them back, I don't see why your love cannot be shared to others.

The mindset that you can also love "the forty-second" or "the one over 9000" is however more practical and better for humanity as a whole.

Phoenicaea
Ambassador

Founded: May 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenicaea » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:15 am

money, all life. what does accomplishment of life mean, in this? of course to hold capital is not going to make true mean for my living, nor dignifies it.

bond between persons is more than a plate, yet i don’t find it in the question. it’s not the plate, richness is way to impose his own. and then, love is eros.

eros (sex) much truly important and a path to spirit, yet not the same.
Last edited by Phoenicaea on Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:31 am, edited 8 times in total.

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:15 am

Arkhane wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

but you cannot spread that love to everyone who needs it without sufficient investment, and without a structure that perpetuates that love, it ultimately is destined to falter and fail

so no, even a selfless love for humanity that is not predicated in investing on a self-perpetuating structure that can dole out that love even without human intervention, or through the periodic motivation of enough people to sustain it from generation to generation, is insufficient

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:25 am

I take the monies.

Arkhane
Diplomat

Libertarian Police State

Postby Arkhane » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:29 am

Diahon wrote:
Arkhane wrote:
"The right mindset"

yes?

You can have all the money in the world, but if you do not have love, then there is no desire to make it better.

But if you have the true, unconditional love for your fellow man, and with your love, win over the affection and hearts of many lives, you will never want for nothing.

I am blessed to have so many friends and family who cares and looks out for me, especially during these troubling times. And I'm just the average, flawed, local human who acts decent from time to time.

If my insignificant motes of kindness can leave an impression, can you imagine if I were like those inspiring people who are actually selfless heroes dedicating their lives in altruism and changing the lives of many for the better?

I'd be set for life. I would always have a home everywhere I go and there would always be grateful people at my back to support and cherish me, material or otherwise.

True, I would be forgotten eventually, but I only ever have one lifetime. Even if I have all the money in the world, I wouldn't be able to spend all of it.

If every people in the world were rich, it won't guarantee a better world. But if every people in the world were loving, then a utopia would be within reach.

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:34 am

Arkhane wrote:
Diahon wrote:
yes?

You can have all the money in the world, but if you do not have love, then there is no desire to make it better.

But if you have the true, unconditional love for your fellow man, and with your love, win over the affection and hearts of many lives, you will never want for nothing.

But I have love for my fellow man! Enough love that I'd rather have every trace of human existence engulfed by a black hole than have it suffer forever under jackbooted authoritarians! I have money, but only to live a comfortable life for myself if I spend frugally! How can I help the world with the relative pittance I have?

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:35 am

Arkhane wrote:
Diahon wrote:
yes?

The scenario calls for you meeting ONE person who you love and who loves you back. Your soulmate etc.
Nothing more, nothing less - though I am willing to grant the person who implied they could only love someone who has superpowers a round of applause for their out-of-the box thinking.

If you take the money you can still find love. Will probably not be that perfect soulmate, but I personally am more than willing to settle for number 20 on the list.

In both cases you are free to care for and love your fellow men. Perhaps for the sake of your children, perhaps because of faith, perhaps because you simply are nice.

But with the cold hard cash you will be able to actually do something to make their lives better.

Arkhane
Diplomat

Libertarian Police State

Postby Arkhane » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:35 am

Diahon wrote:
Arkhane wrote:

but you cannot spread that love to everyone who needs it without sufficient investment, and without a structure that perpetuates that love, it ultimately is destined to falter and fail

so no, even a selfless love for humanity that is not predicated in investing on a self-perpetuating structure that can dole out that love even without human intervention, or through the periodic motivation of enough people to sustain it from generation to generation, is insufficient

No? Who exactly is telling me to make sure each and everyone in the world needs to feel my love?

Love is a choice, some people want a different kind of love, or don't want to be loved to begin with. Why would I want to create a structure that forces people and forces it on people.

People need love, but it is up to them to ask and seek. You cannot coax it with cash, and there have been many attempts in human history to "create a society of love".

All of them ended very badly. Love is not an investment, it is a gift.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General