NATION

PASSWORD

How to put on a belt?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How do you put on a belt?

In a clockwise direction (and I'm right handed)
18%
In a counter-clockwise direction (and I'm right handed)
55%
In a clockwise direction (and I'm left handed)
5%
In a counter-clockwise direction (and I'm left handed)
4%
Belt? I don't even like wearing pants!
18%

Total votes : 119

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:42 pm

Right handed, clockwise, I suppose. Never thought about this.

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:43 pm

Heloin wrote:Over the right shoulder.

Over both shoulders.
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Nouveau Quebecois wrote:
Heloin wrote:Over the right shoulder.

Over both shoulders.

If Mad Max has taught me anything, it's that there's no such thing as too many belts as we approach the apocalypse.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:58 pm

Unless you actually need to be wearing a belt you should not wear a belt because belts are useless and needless obstructions.
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Narland
Minister

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Narland » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:59 pm

Idzequitch wrote:Belts. They're long narrow strips of material, often made of leather, that wrap around the waist and clasp together in the front to complete the loop. When utilized correctly, belts help you keep your pants on your person, and avoid inadvertently displaying any undergarments or pieces of your anatomy that your pants normally conceal. Truly, belts are a staple of any pants-wearing society. (Some of us tried allowing our pants to start falling off, or sagging, circa 2010, but we've mostly come back to our senses as a society since then).

Now my question for you, oh wise belt wearers of NSG, stems from an encounter I had with my elderly grandfather. He, unfortunately, suffers from dementia, and he required assistance putting his belt on. My father and I both came to help, but being young and spry as I am, I arrived first. I began putting my grandfather's belt on just as I would my own belt: through the first loop to the right of the pants button, around his right hip, back behind, over to the left hip, and back to the front, essentially in a clockwise direction around his waist.

This perplexed my father greatly, who claimed that since my grandfather is right-handed, that his belt should start from his left side and loop around in a counter-clockwise direction. But I protested, because I also am right-handed, and have always gone clockwise.

So, NSG, although wearing pants is optional when posting to the forums, I come to you, trusting you to resolve this dispute between my father and I: What is the correct way to put on your belt?

***What Narland was taught Hygiene class (the part about dressing oneself) at grammar school***
Appx 90% of the population are right-handed (counter-clockwise top looking down). Putting on accessories right handed (counter-clockwise) shows that you did it yourself. Tying knots, bows, putting on belts (things that have chirality) are an indicator of if you are capable enough to dress yourself. As a leftie, I was kind of put off by this, and had to be told to put my belt on "proper" -- threading my belt right-handedly.
-----
I grew up on a ranch as a cowboy, and we wear relatively thick and wide belts, and do contorting labor. The cured leather stretches unevenly to the grain. We were taught to regularly change the chirality of the belt so the belt would wear (stretch) evenly. Blue jeans and a work belt were to be treated different than slacks and a dress belt which one changed into (after working hours or) especially when going into town. When wearing one's best work (cowboy) clothes at the Rodeo, the belt buckle (for show, a pancake size Silver Dollar) would be upside down if put on left-handed, so we would put it on right handed on that occasion. (But since a Cowboy belt can unsnap to put on a different buckle (even upside down if one desired), I suppose it shouldn't have mattered.)

Your father made an astute observation that is no longer taught as a matter of course in the public schools. Threading the belt with right handed chirality to the viewpoint of the wearer allows him the dignity of the appearance of being able to dress oneself. Contemporary society may not notice, but the WW2 generation will notice.
Last edited by Narland on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:59 pm

New haven america wrote:Unless you actually need to be wearing a belt you should not wear a belt because belts are useless.

are you talking from experience
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:09 pm

Katganistan wrote:You do also need to wash or dry clean pants occasionally too?!

It occurs, true.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:10 pm

Narland wrote:***What Narland was taught Hygiene class (the part about dressing oneself) at grammar school***
Appx 90% of the population are right-handed. Putting on accessories right handed shows that you did it yourself. Tying knots, bows, putting on belts (things that have chirality) are an indicator of if you are capable enough to dress yourself. As a leftie, I was kind of put off by this, and had to be told to put my belt on "proper" -- threading my belt right-handedly.
-----
I grew up on a ranch as a cowboy, and we wear relatively thick and wide belts, and do contorting labor. The cured leather stretches unevenly to the grain. We were taught to regularly change the chirality of the belt so the belt would wear (stretch) evenly. Blue jeans and a work belt were to be treated different than slacks and a dress belt which one changed into (after working hours or) especially when going into town. When wearing one's best work (cowboy) clothes at the Rodeo, the belt buckle (for show, a pancake size Silver Dollar) would be upside down if put on left-handed, so we would put it on right handed on that occasion. (But since a Cowboy belt can unsnap to put on a different buckle (even upside down if one desired), I suppose it shouldn't have mattered.)

Your father made an astute observation that is no longer taught as a matter of course in the public schools. Threading the belt with right handed chirality to the viewpoint of the wearer allows him the dignity of the appearance of being able to dress himself. Contemporary society may not notice, but the WW2 generation will notice.

Ah, a fellow cowboy.
I really have nothing else to add to this, I just wanted to acknowledge a fellow cowboy.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Elgomeria v2
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elgomeria v2 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:13 pm

I'm a lefty and I put a belt on clockwise
Guess Who's back ?

Narland
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Narland » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:24 pm

Kathol Rift wrote:
Narland wrote:***What Narland was taught Hygiene class (the part about dressing oneself) at grammar school***
Appx 90% of the population are right-handed. Putting on accessories right handed shows that you did it yourself. Tying knots, bows, putting on belts (things that have chirality) are an indicator of if you are capable enough to dress yourself. As a leftie, I was kind of put off by this, and had to be told to put my belt on "proper" -- threading my belt right-handedly.
-----

Your father made an astute observation that is no longer taught as a matter of course in the public schools. Threading the belt with right handed chirality to the viewpoint of the wearer allows him the dignity of the appearance of being able to dress himself. Contemporary society may not notice, but the WW2 generation will notice.

Ah, a fellow cowboy.
I really have nothing else to add to this, I just wanted to acknowledge a fellow cowboy.

Thank you.
May you never have to tighten your belt in another notch while waiting for the next auction; and may you find a woman who recognizes you for who you are, not just for your horse.
Last edited by Narland on Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:25 pm

Head-first.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:52 pm

Narland wrote:
Kathol Rift wrote:Ah, a fellow cowboy.

Thank you.
May you never have to tighten your belt in another notch while waiting for the next auction; and may you find a woman who recognizes you for who you are, not just for your horse.

Is that a euphemism?
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Narland
Minister

Anarchy

Postby Narland » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:58 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Narland wrote:Thank you.

Is that a euphemism?

Just a toast (technically, two toasts) -- one that he may not go hungry until the cattle get to auction. Cattle, cattle everywhere and not a steak to eat! And the other one for personal happiness. Having a female friend because she likes it that you have horses, is one thing, but having a woman who loves you for who you are is all the difference.
Last edited by Narland on Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Treadwellia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Treadwellia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:16 pm

Right-handed. . . counter-clockwise.

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Narland wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Is that a euphemism?

Just a toast (technically, two toasts) -- one that he may not go hungry until the cattle get to auction. Cattle, cattle everywhere and not a steak to eat! And the other one for personal happiness. Having a female friend because she likes it that you have horses, is one thing, but having a woman who loves you for who you are is all the difference.

And I do greatly appreciate those toasts. Thank you.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:48 pm

Counter clockwise is how I’ve always done it.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:18 pm

I thought you'd all gone mad. Then I realized I'd clicked on the wrong thread!

To the left first I guess. I think my dad taught me that way and I've never considered doing it the other way.
(Counter-clockwise as per poll)
Last edited by Nobel Hobos 2 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:19 pm

New haven america wrote:Unless you actually need to be wearing a belt you should not wear a belt because belts are useless and needless obstructions.

Ah, a braces man.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:25 pm

I rarely wear them, but when I do, I just make sure the buckle is right side up and facing out. I've never really paid attention to how I do it. I'm a rightie, and I think I put it on counter clockwise, but I'm not sure.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:34 pm

After you put it on your forehead, you take another one and loop it under your left armpit and over your right shoulder, then hang things from it.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:36 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:After you put it on your forehead, you take another one and loop it under your left armpit and over your right shoulder, then hang things from it.

Finally another person who understands.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:47 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:After you put it on your forehead, you take another one and loop it under your left armpit and over your right shoulder, then hang things from it.

I thought you were supposed to strap one belt around each ankle and put holsters on them.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:13 pm

Being essentially anti-trousers, I rarely use a belt. When I do, I go clockwise. Although, usually, I put the belt on the trousers, roll the trousers up and change later on in order to minimise the time wearing the, incredibly impractical, trousers.

Now, in principle, there are lots of shorts that are designed to be worn with trousers, but these are typically more expensive than the old elastic waistband requirement and so...

n.b. Forsher lives in a mild climate that tends to alternate between sunny and wet (think London but full of hills, much much wetter and much much sunnier... so nothing like London at all). Trousers thus have a tendency to induce overheating and wet legs in the same day. I am not particularly successful at convincing people of the folly of trousers, but they agree that wet legs are a worthy enemy.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:28 pm

Forsher wrote:Being essentially anti-trousers, I rarely use a belt. When I do, I go clockwise. Although, usually, I put the belt on the trousers, roll the trousers up and change later on in order to minimise the time wearing the, incredibly impractical, trousers.

Now, in principle, there are lots of shorts that are designed to be worn with trousers, but these are typically more expensive than the old elastic waistband requirement and so...

n.b. Forsher lives in a mild climate that tends to alternate between sunny and wet (think London but full of hills, much much wetter and much much sunnier... so nothing like London at all). Trousers thus have a tendency to induce overheating and wet legs in the same day. I am not particularly successful at convincing people of the folly of trousers, but they agree that wet legs are a worthy enemy.

When your legs grow ugly you'll discover the joy of trousers. At least I hope.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:33 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
New haven america wrote:Unless you actually need to be wearing a belt you should not wear a belt because belts are useless and needless obstructions.

Ah, a braces man.

If you're wearing properly fitted pants then you shouldn't need a belt because the pants aren't gonna fall down.

Now, if you have pairs of pants that don't fit, then a belt and is doing its job, but if the pants are properly fitted then the belt is just being pretentious staying in a place where it doesn't belong.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General