NATION

PASSWORD

How to put on a belt?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How do you put on a belt?

In a clockwise direction (and I'm right handed)
18%
In a counter-clockwise direction (and I'm right handed)
55%
In a clockwise direction (and I'm left handed)
5%
In a counter-clockwise direction (and I'm left handed)
4%
Belt? I don't even like wearing pants!
18%

Total votes : 119

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:39 pm

New haven america wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Ah, a braces man.

If you're wearing properly fitted pants then you shouldn't need a belt because the pants aren't gonna fall down.

Now, if you have pairs of pants that don't fit, then a belt and is doing its job, but if the pants are properly fitted then the belt is just being pretentious staying in a place where it doesn't belong.

The only trousers that fit me properly are the stretchy kind, any others go out of shape after a few wears and washes, and need that belt.

Disclaimer: I get all my clothes from charity shops so the size and fit are variable.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:51 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Forsher wrote:Being essentially anti-trousers, I rarely use a belt. When I do, I go clockwise. Although, usually, I put the belt on the trousers, roll the trousers up and change later on in order to minimise the time wearing the, incredibly impractical, trousers.

Now, in principle, there are lots of shorts that are designed to be worn with trousers, but these are typically more expensive than the old elastic waistband requirement and so...

n.b. Forsher lives in a mild climate that tends to alternate between sunny and wet (think London but full of hills, much much wetter and much much sunnier... so nothing like London at all). Trousers thus have a tendency to induce overheating and wet legs in the same day. I am not particularly successful at convincing people of the folly of trousers, but they agree that wet legs are a worthy enemy.

When your legs grow ugly you'll discover the joy of trousers. At least I hope.

People already have to look at my face and I'm not intending on starting to wear a balaclava.

Trousers are fine in a cool and dry climate. That's the early morning of a frosty day here. And, in my opinion, never any other time.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:07 am

Left-handed and always thread my belt clockwise.
Everything is intertwinkled

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:30 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
New haven america wrote:If you're wearing properly fitted pants then you shouldn't need a belt because the pants aren't gonna fall down.

Now, if you have pairs of pants that don't fit, then a belt and is doing its job, but if the pants are properly fitted then the belt is just being pretentious staying in a place where it doesn't belong.

The only trousers that fit me properly are the stretchy kind, any others go out of shape after a few wears and washes, and need that belt.

Disclaimer: I get all my clothes from charity shops so the size and fit are variable.

I am confused as to why you would do this. I mean, you are clearly not so poor that you can't afford the internet. So why wouldn't you buy clothes?
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:29 am

Purpelia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I am confused as to why you would do this. I mean, you are clearly not so poor that you can't afford the internet. So why wouldn't you buy clothes?

I save money wherever I can, because I'm bone lazy and don't like to work. That probably answers your question ... but there's more!

I used to be satisfied to dress like a bum (hobo!) but why? People I just met treated me like a bum, brushing me off or even offering me money like I was a beggar just because of how I was dressed. After a year dressing better (for a job I had) and being treated with more respect I thought fuck 'em, if they can't see past the clothes then I'll trick 'em and dress like a prince.

Well not exactly, I dress like a teenage crack whore on her first job interview, but that's not the point. I think I look good, and my clothing budget is about $5 a week so I'm happy!

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:39 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I am confused as to why you would do this. I mean, you are clearly not so poor that you can't afford the internet. So why wouldn't you buy clothes?

I save money wherever I can, because I'm bone lazy and don't like to work. That probably answers your question ... but there's more!

I used to be satisfied to dress like a bum (hobo!) but why? People I just met treated me like a bum, brushing me off or even offering me money like I was a beggar just because of how I was dressed. After a year dressing better (for a job I had) and being treated with more respect I thought fuck 'em, if they can't see past the clothes then I'll trick 'em and dress like a prince.

Well not exactly, I dress like a teenage crack whore on her first job interview, but that's not the point. I think I look good, and my clothing budget is about $5 a week so I'm happy!

I mean, it's recycling so I'm all for it. Also reminds me of that one Macklemore song.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:48 am

Albrenia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I mean, it's recycling so I'm all for it. Also reminds me of that one Macklemore song.

Not familiar with Macklemore, you'll have to link me.

But it's more like Paul Kelly. Vocals at 0:30

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:00 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:I save money wherever I can, because I'm bone lazy and don't like to work. That probably answers your question ... but there's more!

That explains it all than. You must realize laziness is the ultimate sin.

You do realize that with a set of half decent clothes you wouldn't have to buy one every week? Like I buy new pants once a year or so. And that's only lately since I've been actively loosing weight. I buy new shoes every couple years if that. And accessories such as belts last me a lifetime. And it's not like I buy designer crap or super expensive stuff either. I am not that vain. But just regular middle of the road quality clothing can last you a long time and still look as good as the day they were bought. You just have to stay away from the bargain bin.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:10 am

Purpelia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:I save money wherever I can, because I'm bone lazy and don't like to work. That probably answers your question ... but there's more!

In my idle life I have had a lot of time to examine my own conscience. I can tell you with certainty I do not feel guilty for idleness.

Unless you're going to invoke some "higher" standard than my own conscience, let's say it's a very bad habit but not a sin.

You do realize that with a set of half decent clothes you wouldn't have to buy one every week? Like I buy new pants once a year or so. And that's only lately since I've been actively loosing weight. I buy new shoes every couple years if that. And accessories such as belts last me a lifetime. And it's not like I buy designer crap or super expensive stuff either. I am not that vain. But just regular middle of the road quality clothing can last you a long time and still look as good as the day they were bought. You just have to stay away from the bargain bin.

From your own vague description of how you dress, I get an image of Dull, Half Worn Out, and wear the same thing for five days straight.

I'm a bit more vain than that thankyou.

Now let's return to the subject. I wear belts when necessary to keep my trousers (when trousers) properly hitched up and showing the shape of my bum. Why do you wear belts, if you do?

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:16 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:In my idle life I have had a lot of time to examine my own conscience. I can tell you with certainty I do not feel guilty for idleness.

Unless you're going to invoke some "higher" standard than my own conscience, let's say it's a very bad habit but not a sin.

Honestly I have no logical argument for you. I just happen to personally be a very hard working person and thus harbor an innate hatred of the lazy. To me a mans worth is measured not by how much he success in life but by if he tries his best at all times and in all things.

From your own vague description of how you dress, I get an image of Dull, Half Worn Out, and wear the same thing for five days straight.

Dull perhaps as I tend to only wear all black clothing. But definitively not worn out. Turns out that half decent quality clothes simply don't wear as much as bargain bin made in China junk. Not sure how designer clothes work though as I've not tried them.

Now let's return to the subject. I wear belts when necessary to keep my trousers (when trousers) properly hitched up and showing the shape of my bum. Why do you wear belts, if you do?

Belts are a fashion item like jewelry. Their role is to visually center your torso and provide a clear line between your legs and upper body thus making you look more slender.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:32 am

The correct answer(because of course there's a "correct" answer) is counter clockwise for men, and the reason is that you want the gap to face right, same reason as your shirt. Why? Because that way when struck by an opposing horseman's lance it will be more effective at deflecting the blow, because of course he will be holding his land in his right hand, as will you yours and so you will pass another on the left... I suppose the standard made more sense when it was developed for jupons
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:37 am

Kathol Rift wrote:
New Bremerton wrote:Right-handed and counterclockwise. Clockwise is "upside down" to me.

Agreed. Like I mentioned, I do make belts out of leather. And as a cowboy, I put the big cowboy belt buckles on them and stamp/stitch patterns into the belts. Any belt made by me will literally be upside down if you put it on clockwise, and it will be visibly upside down. I honestly didn’t even know putting belts on clockwise was a thing until now, and I’m seriously wondering if I’ve been discriminating towards people putting it on clockwise by not making belts for them.

This is the only right answer, even if left handed, any belt with a design is seemingly designed for counterclockwise wear, otherwise it would be upside down.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Sefeiunto-Redu
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Sefeiunto-Redu » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:49 am

I have no idea what the mapping between clockwise/anti-clockwise and "left and right" is when it comes to belts. It seems every time I have a mapping, I go down a few posts and see the opposite mapping, so then I use that mapping, only to find it's seemingly changed. My belt is symmetrical, so it barely matters anyway.

(Also about laziness, one of my old teachers used to say "It's not laziness, it's being efficient." when he tells us about a time-saving skill for our class).
Respelled Sefionto-Redu (temp message)

Not using NS stats

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:56 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Not familiar with Macklemore, you'll have to link me.

But it's more like Paul Kelly. Vocals at 0:30

It has some mild swearing in it so avoid listening to it around those you don't want to hear swearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:59 am

Purpelia wrote:

I thought the ultimate sin was betraying God? Or am I missing the point here as usual?

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:11 am

Purpelia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Now let's return to the subject. I wear belts when necessary to keep my trousers (when trousers) properly hitched up and showing the shape of my bum. Why do you wear belts, if you do?

Belts are a fashion item like jewelry. Their role is to visually center your torso and provide a clear line between your legs and upper body thus making you look more slender.

Not going further with the rest, it's all a matter of taste. But on this point I think you are wrong. Also it's on topic.

Belts hold your trousers up, with more precision than the waist band does. Even the best quality trousers (and let's not dispute what those are) will stretch over time, so they either hang too high when new or hang too low when worn in. Your eschewal of belts suggests to me that you just don't notice if your trousers are hanging too high or too low, and furthermore your conception of them as "cosmetic" betrays that you don't want to look more slender. Most people do, since obesity is strongly correlated with laziness.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:16 am

Albrenia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:That explains it all than. You must realize laziness is the ultimate sin.

I thought the ultimate sin was betraying God? Or am I missing the point here as usual?

Laziness is against one of the commandments but I'm too lazy to look up which one.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:18 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Laziness is against one of the commandments but I'm too lazy to look up which one.

Aheheheh. I see what you did there.

Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:19 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

If you're thinking about taking some of your neighbour's slaves, you could always ask one of them to look it up.
Are these "human rights" in the room with us right now?
★彡 Professional pessimist. Reactionary socialist and gamer liberationist. Coffee addict. Fun at parties 彡★
Freedom is when people agree with you, and the more people you can force to act like they agree the freer society is
You are the trolley problem's conductor. You could stop the train in time but you do not. Nobody knows you're part of the equation. You satisfy your bloodlust and get away with it every time

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:28 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

If you're thinking about taking some of your neighbour's slaves, you could always ask one of them to look it up.

Can they even do that? It's Sunday.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:37 am

Counter clockwise for men and clockwise for women is the generally accepted rule.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:47 am

Greed and Death wrote:Counter clockwise for men and clockwise for women is the generally accepted rule.

For real? I've never heard that.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:48 am

This is one of those things I never realized anyone else did any other way, like how I was well into my 20's before I ever heard of anyone standing up to wipe.

It goes counterclockwise. Feed it through the first belt loop to the left of where your jeans are buttoned and then around your back.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:49 am

Neither? Both? My belt has metal bits on both ends.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:58 am

CCW (seen from zenit), leftie here.

Edit, poll sucks because of lack of "braces" option.
Last edited by Risottia on Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General