NATION

PASSWORD

Is religion a necessity for society?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Albrenia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12609
Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Albrenia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:16 am

Nazeroth wrote:We are built to be religious, regardless of what high and mighty atheists think

it's spiritualism that is INHERENT in the human mind, we seek answers and find comfort in that spirituality, and honestly, we can see the cons of abandoning spiritualism.

i used to be an atheist now im spiritualistic(no specific religion, but i think i need to live and enjoy the life that has been given to me and that I should have purpose in life and that my journey is also part of being human in a greater cosmic reality)

the one thing i have noticed between large groups of completely atheistic people and religious ones is that the religious have community and unity and the atheistic are often the most depressed/cynical and egotistical people i have ever met. I think spritualism is a human NEED, people NEED an idea that there is more to life than just dying and rotting in the dirt.

note: That being said I do think some religions/faiths are infinity better than others.


I think you are partially right. The need to have meaning and to understand 'why' is very common in humanity. Putting aside the silly sweeping generalisations about an entire group of people who share nothing except lack of belief, you actually have some good points.

As I said earlier, although I am an atheist, my purpose is in trying to leave the world a better place than I found it. I'd consider myself an optimist, which I think reflects most of my beliefs, although I guess my opinions of some things could be considered cynical (the motivations of powerful groups, for example). As for being egotistical, I don't know if I am or not - maybe?

I'd suggest that it may not be Spiritualism so much as Purpose which people need. It's just religion and spirituality are quite good at filling that need, which is a good thing.

Just my thoughts.

User avatar
Vivolkha
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 469
Founded: Oct 15, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vivolkha » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:17 am

Region of Dwipantara wrote:
Vivolkha wrote:Religion is unnecessary. The simple fact that we must live in a society (because of natural human biology) should be reason enough to develop a moral code. There is no reason why we should involve God there.

The main purpose of religion is to provide comfort against a natural human fear that is death. It provides easy answers to difficult questions, but ultimately religion imposes an arbitrary, irrational, potentially harmful set of rules as an absolute command.

Yeah, another main problem I have with any unquestionable set of beliefs — it oversimplifies what are actually very complex systems. If human societies are to have a set of guiding principles, they better construct it themseleves, listen to different PoVs and have a way to criticize or evaluate it later. Far better than adhering to random diktats from thousands of years ago of dubious origins.

TL;DR, religions are ideologies and have to be treated as such.

The problem with any unquestionable set of beliefs is that we are only human, and make mistakes. No particular ideology can claim to know all the answers, if it has one common origin, it has at least one mistake. This is why blindly following an unquestionable ideology is foolish, this is why totalitarian systems never work.

Relgiion tries to dodge this by claiming that their work is of divine origin, which I find more than questionable.
My views are constantly changing; check the spoiler below for the most updated ones. Currently, this is an exclusively OOC nation.
Pro: Parlamentarism, atheism, EU, EU and UN reform, open borders, capitalism (generally), strong state, welfare state, authoritarian drug policies, abortion, nuclear power, space exploration, science
Anti: Religion, totalitarianism (includes Communism/Fascism by definition), Maduro & Morales, Trump, alt-right, right to discriminate, SJW, drug decriminalization, conspiracy theories, unregulated capitalism, monarchism, anti-intellectualism

Check out my Dispatch guides!
How to build a realistic totalitarian state | How to start with any nation type (UPDATED)

User avatar
Nakena
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11527
Founded: May 06, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nakena » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:46 am

The Alma Mater wrote:We need something that encourages people to think of the wellbeing of others. Religion can and has served that role reasonable well in the past.
It is not perfect though; see e.g. the response to the current Corona crisis. Some believers volunteer to risk their life to get toiletpaper for the elderly (good), while others storm a closed house of worship so they can be together in prayer, infecting eachother (bad) or claim their magical silver potion will cure you (evil).

There are however not many secular alternatives that fare better. Humanism tries but is impopular. Communism tried harder but failed. Utilitarianism leads to animal rights activists that are more mocked than taken seriously.

So.. as answer to the question... "for now".


It depends on the religion and its content. Some are actually kinda pro-humanity. Others not so much, and are theocentric.

Voluntua wrote:No. Religion is a person's relationship to the supernatural; it's a lifestyle, a set of beliefs; and should never be treated as anything else. History has shown us that if one or more nations use religion to unite its people, horrible things happen: those outside of the religion are persecuted, faith-based tribalism (us versus them worldview) increases, ecclesial titles are filled with people who only seek worldly power instead of serving the religion, and the religion usually ceases to be what it really is and transforms into a sign of political stance (for example, gallicans and huguenots, puritans and anglicans, and so on).

That being said by the leader of a nation which is in the top 1% of nations by religiousness.


Underrated.

Nazeroth wrote:We are built to be religious, regardless of what high and mighty atheists think

it's spiritualism that is INHERENT in the human mind, we seek answers and find comfort in that spirituality, and honestly, we can see the cons of abandoning spiritualism.

i used to be an atheist now im spiritualistic(no specific religion, but i think i need to live and enjoy the life that has been given to me and that I should have purpose in life and that my journey is also part of being human in a greater cosmic reality)

the one thing i have noticed between large groups of completely atheistic people and religious ones is that the religious have community and unity and the atheistic are often the most depressed/cynical and egotistical people i have ever met. I think spritualism is a human NEED, people NEED an idea that there is more to life than just dying and rotting in the dirt.

note: That being said I do think some religions/faiths are infinity better than others.


"Religious" and mystic ideas and inspirations are inherent as our ability as humans to receive, exchange and process (to varying degrees, but usually fragmented) information from other dimensions/realms/planes of existence (whatever you want to call it) that appears to be populated by various beings and entities etc.

"Religions" are often (unless they're made up anyways) in one way or another based onto interpretations that derivated from said information exchange. Even though most followers nowadays don't made their own experiences and relay upon textual interpretations and transmission made by people who had so. Or knew people who had. Which of course makes the whole matter already more blurry than it already is.

Oh and of course, as we have learned in the recent years in Information Age, theres always the possibility that info is just not useful at all. Or maybe even of questionable or malicious intent...
Last edited by Nakena on Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
☯ ₴ɄⱤVłV₳Ⱡ, ₳ĐV₳₦₵Ɇ₥Ɇ₦₮, ɆVØⱠɄ₮łØ₦ ☯
⛤₴Ø₦₳₭ Ø₴⛤
DANCE!

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 192702
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:04 am

I don’t think it’s a necessity, no. There are many people who do not involve themselves with organized religion and do fine. But many other people seem to gravitate towards belief in something. I’d classify it more as a want than a need.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
North German Realm
Senator
 
Posts: 4357
Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby North German Realm » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:12 am

I mean, whether or not it is necessary, societies tend not to get formed organically without a religion. Culture, family and faith tend to be the only things that get people to stick together for a long-term basis. Whether it's necessary for the society's continued survival is a different basis that wholly depends on how long said society's been around.
Last edited by North German Realm on Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North Germany
Norddeutschland

Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
12 Jul, 2020
Die Morgenpost: Turkey faces International Backlash for acts of aggression! || Allied army finally catches up with retreating Turkish horde in Kastanies. | Military Brass rejects offer to grant IMS Preußen a battle star for operation in Tunisia against Tunisian ship Carthage, "not really worth honoring". Tunisian government offended for some reason. | Culprits responsible for recent explosion in North German military base in Luzon finally captured, extradited to local government for punishment. | Libertalia, North Germany begin negotiations over return of Rio Damuji, redrawing of sea border between two nations. | Tensions rise between Chile, Argentina again.

User avatar
Geneviev
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13289
Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Geneviev » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:04 am

It's not really necessary for society, but it can be necessary for people. We need a support system, and for many people, that comes from religion. It also gives us a purpose in life.
"An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge." Proverbs 18:15

User avatar
Kristis Corpse
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 4
Founded: Mar 28, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kristis Corpse » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:33 am

We humans needed a way to explain/cope with the harshness of ourselves and the world around us. Religion helped with that, however nowadays people without religion don’t have that higher authority to explain away everything and keep them decent, assuming religion did that at all, life becomes pointless, because suddenly nothing matters because there’s no afterlife. Good, evil don’t matter, literally the only thing you have to live for is your lover and your family. But our lack of faith doesn’t determine if society works or not. So in that sense, no, religion isn’t a necessity anymore for society to work.
It’s supposed to be Kristi’s Corpse, but for some reason NSG doesn't like (‘) in the name

User avatar
The Emerald Legion
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9268
Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:39 am

Vivolkha wrote:
Region of Dwipantara wrote:Yeah, another main problem I have with any unquestionable set of beliefs — it oversimplifies what are actually very complex systems. If human societies are to have a set of guiding principles, they better construct it themseleves, listen to different PoVs and have a way to criticize or evaluate it later. Far better than adhering to random diktats from thousands of years ago of dubious origins.

TL;DR, religions are ideologies and have to be treated as such.

The problem with any unquestionable set of beliefs is that we are only human, and make mistakes. No particular ideology can claim to know all the answers, if it has one common origin, it has at least one mistake. This is why blindly following an unquestionable ideology is foolish, this is why totalitarian systems never work.

Relgiion tries to dodge this by claiming that their work is of divine origin, which I find more than questionable.


The issue of course with that set of ideals is leaving your ideological framework easily altered allows for issues in what it changes to.

Mutable values will inevitably become tools by which the powerful oppress those below them. Immutable values however can bring down even the powerful.
"I must play this game by my rules/ I will conquer the world with my tools/ All my machines are made for destruction/ I will build my empire/ I will succeed and you will see/ With my machines there is no retreat." ~ E.G.G.M.A.N.
I frequently lapse into self parody, that isn't to say that I don't have extreme views, just that I occasionally go over the top for comedic effect.
Genivaria wrote:The Emerald Legion is NSG's personal Reaper.

The Drone Empire wrote:"Enlighten the willing, enslave the conquered, eradicate the defiant."
A typical Legionary strategy meeting.
The appropriate pronoun for me is It.
Philosophically Biophobic.

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19150
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:46 am

Sadakoyama wrote:
Freakoland wrote:I'm intrigued by what you said about the Aztecs and contradictory morals? Would you care to enlighten me?


The Aztecs thought it was perfectly moral, indeed absolutely necessary, to sacrifice tens of thousands of people to show proper gratitude to their gods. To not do these sacrifices was to incur their wrath and risk losing the sun or the rain; that would be immoral, to them.


The Aztecs beliefs were based around survival. They believed that their only choices were to kill other people to keep the world alive or risk the apocalypse itself.

The Aztec religion had to be one of the cruelest death cults of history, and upwards of 20,000 people a year were murdered and mutilated by the Aztecs to appease their Gods. With Islam and Christianity at least you just gotta obey their stupid morals and you'll survive. It didn't matter what you believed in the world of the Aztecs. If they chose you for death, there was nothing you could do.
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
The Emerald Legion
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9268
Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:48 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Sadakoyama wrote:
The Aztecs thought it was perfectly moral, indeed absolutely necessary, to sacrifice tens of thousands of people to show proper gratitude to their gods. To not do these sacrifices was to incur their wrath and risk losing the sun or the rain; that would be immoral, to them.


The Aztecs beliefs were based around survival. They believed that their only choices were to kill other people to keep the world alive or risk the apocalypse itself.

The Aztec religion had to be one of the cruelest death cults of history, and upwards of 20,000 people a year were murdered and mutilated by the Aztecs to appease their Gods. With Islam and Christianity at least you just gotta obey their stupid morals and you'll survive. It didn't matter what you believed in the world of the Aztecs. If they chose you for death, there was nothing you could do.


Fun fact. There's a Neo-Pagan Aztec Revival movement.
"I must play this game by my rules/ I will conquer the world with my tools/ All my machines are made for destruction/ I will build my empire/ I will succeed and you will see/ With my machines there is no retreat." ~ E.G.G.M.A.N.
I frequently lapse into self parody, that isn't to say that I don't have extreme views, just that I occasionally go over the top for comedic effect.
Genivaria wrote:The Emerald Legion is NSG's personal Reaper.

The Drone Empire wrote:"Enlighten the willing, enslave the conquered, eradicate the defiant."
A typical Legionary strategy meeting.
The appropriate pronoun for me is It.
Philosophically Biophobic.

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19150
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:50 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
The Aztecs beliefs were based around survival. They believed that their only choices were to kill other people to keep the world alive or risk the apocalypse itself.

The Aztec religion had to be one of the cruelest death cults of history, and upwards of 20,000 people a year were murdered and mutilated by the Aztecs to appease their Gods. With Islam and Christianity at least you just gotta obey their stupid morals and you'll survive. It didn't matter what you believed in the world of the Aztecs. If they chose you for death, there was nothing you could do.


Fun fact. There's a Neo-Pagan Aztec Revival movement.


Oh.

Oh no.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
The Alma Mater
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19106
Founded: May 23, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:54 am

Sadakoyama wrote:
Freakoland wrote:I'm intrigued by what you said about the Aztecs and contradictory morals? Would you care to enlighten me?


The Aztecs thought it was perfectly moral, indeed absolutely necessary, to sacrifice tens of thousands of people to show proper gratitude to their gods. To not do these sacrifices was to incur their wrath and risk losing the sun or the rain; that would be immoral, to them.


Thousands must die, so millions may live ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19150
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:58 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Sadakoyama wrote:
The Aztecs thought it was perfectly moral, indeed absolutely necessary, to sacrifice tens of thousands of people to show proper gratitude to their gods. To not do these sacrifices was to incur their wrath and risk losing the sun or the rain; that would be immoral, to them.


Thousands must die, so millions may live ?


That's a pretty bleak worldview.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
Nakena
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11527
Founded: May 06, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nakena » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:00 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
The Emerald Legion wrote:
Fun fact. There's a Neo-Pagan Aztec Revival movement.


Oh.

Oh no.


Regarding mexico:

Look up Santa Muerte alias Nuestra Señora de la Santa Muerte.

It's actually a thing.

The number of believers in Santa Muerte has grown over the past ten to twenty years, to an estimated 10–20 million followers in Mexico, the United States, and parts of Central America.
Last edited by Nakena on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
☯ ₴ɄⱤVłV₳Ⱡ, ₳ĐV₳₦₵Ɇ₥Ɇ₦₮, ɆVØⱠɄ₮łØ₦ ☯
⛤₴Ø₦₳₭ Ø₴⛤
DANCE!

User avatar
Kowani
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21906
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:45 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Vivolkha wrote:The problem with any unquestionable set of beliefs is that we are only human, and make mistakes. No particular ideology can claim to know all the answers, if it has one common origin, it has at least one mistake. This is why blindly following an unquestionable ideology is foolish, this is why totalitarian systems never work.

Relgiion tries to dodge this by claiming that their work is of divine origin, which I find more than questionable.


The issue of course with that set of ideals is leaving your ideological framework easily altered allows for issues in what it changes to.

Mutable values will inevitably become tools by which the powerful oppress those below them. Immutable values however can bring down even the powerful.

Yes, the powerful can never use immutable values to keep down those below them.
Spanish Atheist.
If an area was ours for 500 years and yours for 50 years, it should belong to us – you are merely occupiers.
If an area was yours for 500 years and ours for 50 years, it should belong to us – borders must not be changed.
If an area belonged to us 500 years ago but never since then, it should belong to us – it is the cradle of our nation.
If a majority of our people live there, it must belong to us – they must enjoy the right of self-determination.
If a minority of our people live there, it must belong to us – they must be protected against your oppression.
All of the above rules apply to us, but not to you.
Our dream of greatness is historical necessity, yours is fascism.

User avatar
North German Realm
Senator
 
Posts: 4357
Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby North German Realm » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:46 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
The Aztecs beliefs were based around survival. They believed that their only choices were to kill other people to keep the world alive or risk the apocalypse itself.

The Aztec religion had to be one of the cruelest death cults of history, and upwards of 20,000 people a year were murdered and mutilated by the Aztecs to appease their Gods. With Islam and Christianity at least you just gotta obey their stupid morals and you'll survive. It didn't matter what you believed in the world of the Aztecs. If they chose you for death, there was nothing you could do.


Fun fact. There's a Neo-Pagan Aztec Revival movement.

10-20 million people holy fuck. Is the religion actually reformed or is it just as batshit insane as the original?
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North Germany
Norddeutschland

Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
12 Jul, 2020
Die Morgenpost: Turkey faces International Backlash for acts of aggression! || Allied army finally catches up with retreating Turkish horde in Kastanies. | Military Brass rejects offer to grant IMS Preußen a battle star for operation in Tunisia against Tunisian ship Carthage, "not really worth honoring". Tunisian government offended for some reason. | Culprits responsible for recent explosion in North German military base in Luzon finally captured, extradited to local government for punishment. | Libertalia, North Germany begin negotiations over return of Rio Damuji, redrawing of sea border between two nations. | Tensions rise between Chile, Argentina again.

User avatar
Nakena
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11527
Founded: May 06, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nakena » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:48 am

North German Realm wrote:
The Emerald Legion wrote:
Fun fact. There's a Neo-Pagan Aztec Revival movement.

10-20 million people holy fuck. Is the religion actually reformed or is it just as batshit insane as the original?


No thats Santa Muerte. Which is a new and... different thing.
☯ ₴ɄⱤVłV₳Ⱡ, ₳ĐV₳₦₵Ɇ₥Ɇ₦₮, ɆVØⱠɄ₮łØ₦ ☯
⛤₴Ø₦₳₭ Ø₴⛤
DANCE!

User avatar
The Alma Mater
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19106
Founded: May 23, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:05 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Thousands must die, so millions may live ?


That's a pretty bleak worldview.


Not unlike the view several world leaders have expressed concerning Corona and the need to create herd immunity.

But if you prefer: "It is out duty to care for this God Given planet, whatever it takes"
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

User avatar
Ankenland
Envoy
 
Posts: 294
Founded: Mar 14, 2020
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Ankenland » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:07 am

Rojava Free State wrote:I don't think society needs religion but people do need something to believe in. I just wish they could believe in themselves.


Don't worry, they already do. They just don't believe in other people.

User avatar
Ankenland
Envoy
 
Posts: 294
Founded: Mar 14, 2020
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Ankenland » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:13 am

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:The power of the immaterial is greatly beyond the power of the material.


I propose a game, in which you hit me with immaterial objects, and I hit you with material objects, until one of us concedes that the other one's object class is more powerful.

As the challenger and a true gentleman, honor demands that I allow you the first strike. At your leisure, sir.

User avatar
Necroghastia
Minister
 
Posts: 2710
Founded: May 11, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Necroghastia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:13 am

Kristis Corpse wrote:We humans needed a way to explain/cope with the harshness of ourselves and the world around us. Religion helped with that, however nowadays people without religion don’t have that higher authority to explain away everything and keep them decent, assuming religion did that at all, life becomes pointless, because suddenly nothing matters because there’s no afterlife. Good, evil don’t matter, literally the only thing you have to live for is your lover and your family. But our lack of faith doesn’t determine if society works or not. So in that sense, no, religion isn’t a necessity anymore for society to work.

I really don't see the logic of how "life is pointless" and "good and evil don't matter" without religion. The point of life becomes something you determine for yourself, which is not the same as it being pointless. As for the other statement, you can't have a functioning society without some understanding of good and evil, and that understanding also need not come from religion.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

User avatar
Ankenland
Envoy
 
Posts: 294
Founded: Mar 14, 2020
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Ankenland » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:15 am

Lower Nubia wrote:It depends, if the spiritual is real, it is a necessity. If the spiritual is not real, it is not a necessity.


Just gonna leave this here,

The falseness of an opinion is not for us any objection to it: it is here, perhaps, that our new language sounds most strangely. The question is, how far an opinion is life-furthering, life-preserving, species-preserving, perhaps species-rearing, and we are fundamentally inclined to maintain that the falsest opinions (to which the synthetic judgments a priori belong), are the most indispensable to us, that without a recognition of logical fictions, without a comparison of reality with the purely IMAGINED world of the absolute and immutable, without a constant counterfeiting of the world by means of numbers, man could not live—that the renunciation of false opinions would be a renunciation of life, a negation of life. TO RECOGNISE UNTRUTH AS A CONDITION OF LIFE; that is certainly to impugn the traditional ideas of value in a dangerous manner, and a philosophy which ventures to do so, has thereby alone placed itself beyond good and evil.

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 33357
Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Katganistan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:16 am

No, religion is not a necessity. One can have a philosophy, a code of ethics, or nothing at all.

User avatar
Ankenland
Envoy
 
Posts: 294
Founded: Mar 14, 2020
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Ankenland » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:22 am

Europa Undivided wrote:
Comparing religion with flat earthers is dumb. Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally dumb.


Nothing shows off your intelligence better than saying something is dumb with extended vowels.

User avatar
The Alma Mater
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19106
Founded: May 23, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:32 am

Europa Undivided wrote:
Alvecia wrote:Personally I don't think so. That which religion provides can be provided through other means.

That said, even without it, people are gonna believe in some stupid shit. Just look at the paranormal, alien consipracies, or pseudoscientific bullshit.

Reddit atheism detected.

Comparing religion with flat earthers is dumb. Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally dumb.


So believing the earth is flat is vastly more silly than, say, believing humans grew out of the armpit of a giant ? (actual religious belief)
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aeritai, Altemoosburg II, Austria-Bohemia-Hungary, Bombadil, Geneviev, Google Adsense [Bot], Greater Miami Shores, Grinning Dragon, Major-Tom, Neo Rome Republic, New Edenea, New Visayan Islands, Ngelmish, Nobel Hobos 2, North Prarie, San Lumen, Shanghai industrial complex, Shrillland, Soiled fruit roll ups, The Black Forrest, The Chuck

Advertisement

Remove ads