NATION

PASSWORD

2020 US General Election Thread VI: Covid for VP!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How do You Plan to Vote This Year?

At a Polling Place
22%
By Mail(If Allowed)
23%
Early Voting
3%
I Won't Vote
8%
I Can't Vote(To Young/Outside the US)
44%

Total votes : 182

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:54 am

Gormwood wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:
Clinton's disgusting and immoral behavior helped pave the way for Trump. If Clinton had successfully been impeached, then perhaps Trump would have never been electable in the first place.

Oh right, a blowjob is still a more serious crime than abusing the office to extort a foreign government for domestic personal gain.

I never said I was opposed to impeaching Trump. Both Clinton and Trump should have been impeached. But it would be better if Trump had never been elected president in the first place.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:55 am

Vassenor wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:
I thought we listened to what the accusers have to say before we make a snap judgement, which is what it seems like you're doing at this point. As of now, yes, they're just allegations against Biden, which is why some sort of impartial investigation into the matter would be ideal, to prove definitively whether or not Biden is a sexual assaulter.

It's ridiculous that few, if any, Dems are really talking about this or taking Reade seriously because "oh, it just couldn't be." For fuck's sake.

So by asking what she's said I'm making a snap judgement against her?

I was under the impression that you don't believe there's any evidence in her argument, if I misconstrued your point, let me know.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:55 am

Gormwood wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here, I mean the accuser herself went to the Time's Up legal fund in January for both monetary and legal assistance, and even they wouldn't help her. To me, it goes to show that most people want this story buried.

Even right wing media like the WSJ apparently. You'd think FOXNews would be using the story to lead the dogpack to go after Biden.

Genuinely, I'm shocked Fox hasn't hammered that home, ditto for Trump himself. I know Coronavirus is saturating the news right now, but still.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:57 am

Major-Tom wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Even right wing media like the WSJ apparently. You'd think FOXNews would be using the story to lead the dogpack to go after Biden.

Genuinely, I'm shocked Fox hasn't hammered that home, ditto for Trump himself. I know Coronavirus is saturating the news right now, but still.

Facts have never stopped Trump or FOX, so why no screams of "BIDEN IS A RAPIST" from either one?
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:04 am

Major-Tom wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Even right wing media like the WSJ apparently. You'd think FOXNews would be using the story to lead the dogpack to go after Biden.

Probably because Bernie is still in the race and it'd be a more strategic thing for them to address closer to the general.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Ngelmish
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ngelmish » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:04 am

Galloism wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
And now you're throwing out non-sequitur statements because you got caught out.

Vass, there’s a lot of hypocrisy here - from Gauth, from you, from Joe Biden, and a lot of others. All you have to do is compare the reactions to the revelations regarding Kavanaugh (before we had an actual investigation) with the reactions of people regarding Biden today.

It was used as proof of guilt that Ford told a few people over the years before going public.
Well, so did Reade, but that’s now not proof of anything.
It was asserted that there is no reason for a woman like Ford to ever lie about this.
Well, Reade is a woman too.
There were multiple other reports of disturbing sexual behavior out of Kavanaugh, which was used as proof.
Well, those same accounts exist for Joe Biden.

You have to ask yourself why you instantly presumed Kavanaugh’s guilt based on these things, but are now studiously asking for evidence and proofs for Biden.

I’m happy you’re doing that for Biden, don’t get me wrong, but it should be the standard for everyone, not just everyone with a (D) after their name.

Inasmuch as this conversation has moved past, if not ignored, more nuanced positions, it's worth noting that one particular difference between these two cases is that questions had been raised regarding Kavanaugh's honesty apropos of congressional testimony throughout his career, prior to his confirmation hearing (admittedly, arguably partisan doubts raised exclusively by Democratic senators and that the degree of dishonesty, if any, involved would be best described as misleading rather than direct lies) and that that distinction may have had an impact on skepticism towards Kavanaugh that hasn't been applied to Biden by partisans for reasons that are not, directly, partisan.

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012

Postby Uiiop » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:06 am

Gormwood wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

Facts have never stopped Trump or FOX, so why no screams of "BIDEN IS A RAPIST" from either one?

They have: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden- ... al-assault

The accuser apparently doesn't want to go to right-winged media for this shit and rejected any offers given. So maybe the relative silence is because of that.
Last edited by Uiiop on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
#NSTransparency

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:06 am

Gormwood wrote:Will not be a shock when the same Republicans who put Christine Blasey Ford through the Spanish Inquisition for daring to try sabotage Kavanaugh's nomination suddenly say we need to take Tara Read at her word and disqualify Biden.

You reap what you sow.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:10 am

Northern Davincia wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Will not be a shock when the same Republicans who put Christine Blasey Ford through the Spanish Inquisition for daring to try sabotage Kavanaugh's nomination suddenly say we need to take Tara Read at her word and disqualify Biden.

You reap what you sow.

So the Biden investigation will be a sham job and Reade treated as a liar?
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:13 am

Gormwood wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:You reap what you sow.

So the Biden investigation will be a sham job and Reade treated as a liar?

I wouldn't call the Kavanaugh investigation a sham, but Reade is already being treated as a liar by many.
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:19 am

Necroghastia wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

Probably because Bernie is still in the race and it'd be a more strategic thing for them to address closer to the general.

Given that Sanders' chances are slipping into Wishful Thinking, why haven't they started already? Also, how come no right-wing groups offered to help Reade with expenses and legal aid?

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:20 am

Gormwood wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Probably because Bernie is still in the race and it'd be a more strategic thing for them to address closer to the general.

Given that Sanders' chances are slipping into Wishful Thinking, why haven't they started already? Also, how come no right-wing groups offered to help Reade with expenses and legal aid?

Because Reade is a lifelong Democrat.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:24 am

Northern Davincia wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Given that Sanders' chances are slipping into Wishful Thinking, why haven't they started already? Also, how come no right-wing groups offered to help Reade with expenses and legal aid?

Because Reade is a lifelong Democrat.

So too partisan to grab at a chance to sink Biden for The Donald.

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012

Postby Uiiop » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:08 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Probably because Bernie is still in the race and it'd be a more strategic thing for them to address closer to the general.

They did apparently but Reade rejected them.

For Bernie's IDK.
#NSTransparency

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:10 pm

Uiiop wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Given that Sanders' chances are slipping into Wishful Thinking, why haven't they started already? Also, how come no right-wing groups offered to help Reade with expenses and legal aid?

They did apparently but Reade rejected them.

For Bernie's IDK.

So she apparently thinks keeping Trump away from a second term is more important than Bringing Biden To Justice.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:33 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Uiiop wrote:They did apparently but Reade rejected them.

For Bernie's IDK.

So she apparently thinks keeping Trump away from a second term is more important than Bringing Biden To Justice.

That's probable yes. Which makes the statement all the more interesting - because there's not even a partisan motivation, in fact, there's a partisan reticence.
Last edited by Galloism on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:52 pm

Galloism wrote:
Gormwood wrote:So she apparently thinks keeping Trump away from a second term is more important than Bringing Biden To Justice.

That's probable yes. Which makes the statement all the more interesting - because there's not even a partisan motivation, in fact, there's a partisan reticence.

On the other hand, if she goes for it and whether or not Biden's guilt is proven it destroys him November in theory it would reignite attention on Trump's sexual misconduct in the unlikely event the GOP aren't shameless hypocrites and embolden women to renew their call to hold him accountable for the first time in his coddled life.
Last edited by Gormwood on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:54 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Galloism wrote:That's probable yes. Which makes the statement all the more interesting - because there's not even a partisan motivation, in fact, there's a partisan reticence.

On the other hand, if she goes for it and whether or not Biden's guilt is proven it detroys him November in theory it would reignite attention on Trump's sexual misconduct in the unlikely event the GOP aren't shameless hypocrites and embolden women to renew their call to hold him accountable for the first time in his coddled life.

That ship sailed long ago and was lost at sea. The GOP will never hold Trump accountable for anything, ever.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:55 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Gormwood wrote:On the other hand, if she goes for it and whether or not Biden's guilt is proven it detroys him November in theory it would reignite attention on Trump's sexual misconduct in the unlikely event the GOP aren't shameless hypocrites and embolden women to renew their call to hold him accountable for the first time in his coddled life.

That ship sailed long ago and was lost at sea. The GOP will never hold Trump accountable for anything, ever.

Hence "unlikely".

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:That ship sailed long ago and was lost at sea. The GOP will never hold Trump accountable for anything, ever.

Hence "unlikely".

Not just "unlikely," impossible. They won't disown him, they can't, not until the party leadership has retired or died. It'll be a generation at least before the gold paint of Trump wears off the Republican Party.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Gormwood wrote:On the other hand, if she goes for it and whether or not Biden's guilt is proven it detroys him November in theory it would reignite attention on Trump's sexual misconduct in the unlikely event the GOP aren't shameless hypocrites and embolden women to renew their call to hold him accountable for the first time in his coddled life.

What the other Old One said.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:20 pm

Galloism wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:That ship sailed long ago and was lost at sea. The GOP will never hold Trump accountable for anything, ever.

What the other Old One said.

If he does get reelected because an investigation was launched, there's pyrrhic schadenfreude that the GOP has Trump chained to them like an anchor. So that when he inevitably fucks up catastrophically like one of his ventures they won't be able to distance themselves and get off the SSDD Trumptanic before they sink with it. This of course on the condition that said catastrophic fuckup doesn't balkanize the U.S. into a third world ancap/doomsday prepper wet dream.

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:48 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Hence "unlikely".

Not just "unlikely," impossible. They won't disown him, they can't, not until the party leadership has retired or died. It'll be a generation at least before the gold paint of Trump wears off the Republican Party.

I expect the Trump era to end more quickly than the Reagan era.
Gormwood wrote:
Galloism wrote:What the other Old One said.

If he does get reelected because an investigation was launched, there's pyrrhic schadenfreude that the GOP has Trump chained to them like an anchor. So that when he inevitably fucks up catastrophically like one of his ventures they won't be able to distance themselves and get off the SSDD Trumptanic before they sink with it. This of course on the condition that said catastrophic fuckup doesn't balkanize the U.S. into a third world ancap/doomsday prepper wet dream.

Actually this is the best outcome, please proceed.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:55 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Not just "unlikely," impossible. They won't disown him, they can't, not until the party leadership has retired or died. It'll be a generation at least before the gold paint of Trump wears off the Republican Party.

Gormwood wrote:If he does get reelected because an investigation was launched, there's pyrrhic schadenfreude that the GOP has Trump chained to them like an anchor. So that when he inevitably fucks up catastrophically like one of his ventures they won't be able to distance themselves and get off the SSDD Trumptanic before they sink with it. This of course on the condition that said catastrophic fuckup doesn't balkanize the U.S. into a third world ancap/doomsday prepper wet dream.

I really do prefer to just buy liquor instead of having to make it myself, so let's not.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:56 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Not just "unlikely," impossible. They won't disown him, they can't, not until the party leadership has retired or died. It'll be a generation at least before the gold paint of Trump wears off the Republican Party.

Gormwood wrote:If he does get reelected because an investigation was launched, there's pyrrhic schadenfreude that the GOP has Trump chained to them like an anchor. So that when he inevitably fucks up catastrophically like one of his ventures they won't be able to distance themselves and get off the SSDD Trumptanic before they sink with it. This of course on the condition that said catastrophic fuckup doesn't balkanize the U.S. into a third world ancap/doomsday prepper wet dream.

Of course you want a balkanized country to live out your ancap fantasies.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General