NATION

PASSWORD

Global ramifications of the Corona Crisis

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:03 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:This isn’t going to bring down the free market capitalist system, nor is it going to change anything. Considering many countries in Asia are reopening, chances are, it’ll just blow over and be a cool story we tell our grandkids when they’re going over the 2020s unit in history class

The worry is that there will be a second wave. It’s already happening in Hong Kong. There’s fear that if the restrictions are lifted there will be another larger wave of this thing.

Sounds familiar...
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

ArenaC
Envoy

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby ArenaC » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:08 pm

Who said there would be an end to the crisis?
The Commonwealth of ArenaC
the 2020 Laughingstock of the World Assembly LOTWA

my (WA) views do not represent my region and should never be interpreted as such. get angry at me. not the region. just me. ...of course if it involves me.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:09 pm

ArenaC wrote:Who said there would be an end to the crisis?

There will be one. It’s just that the end might look a lot different than what you want
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:13 pm

I think it'll depend on a country-by country basis, also a regional basis, as some provinces/states of nations are getting slammed harder than others. The North Dakotan will walk away with a different perspective than the New Yorker. Those who lost family members and those who contracted the virus and recovered will come back feeling a bit more anxious.

Ultimately, I think most people around the world will be a little cautious at first, perhaps more sympathetic, friendlier, before slowly reverting back to their old habits and lifestyles. On the downside, I expect my gym to be fucking packed when this all ends. It's gonna be New Years Day resolution folks times 100.

Politically, some citizens worldwide will regain trust in their institutions, others will view their governments with extra cynicism, and for some, it might be the nail in the coffin for how people view their regimes. If this escalates any further in the US, expect polarization to be at an all-time high a few months post-crisis.
Last edited by Major-Tom on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:16 pm

Major-Tom wrote:I think it'll depend on a country-by country basis, also a regional basis, as some provinces/states of nations are getting slammed harder than others. The North Dakotan will walk away with a different perspective than the New Yorker. Those who lost family members and those who contracted the virus and recovered will come back feeling a bit more anxious.

Ultimately, I think most people around the world will be a little cautious at first, perhaps more sympathetic, friendlier, before slowly reverting back to their old habits and lifestyles. On the downside, I expect my gym to be fucking packed when this all ends. It's gonna be New Years Day resolution folks times 100.

Politically, some citizens worldwide will regain trust in their institutions, others will view their governments with extra cynicism, and for some, it might be the nail in the coffin for how people view their regimes. If this escalates any further in the US, expect polarization to be at an all-time high a few months post-crisis.

I fully expect to see a revolution in Italy and Iran after all this is over.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:18 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:I think it'll depend on a country-by country basis, also a regional basis, as some provinces/states of nations are getting slammed harder than others. The North Dakotan will walk away with a different perspective than the New Yorker. Those who lost family members and those who contracted the virus and recovered will come back feeling a bit more anxious.

I fully expect to see a revolution in Italy and Iran after all this is over.

It's unlikely in my opinion, but plausible for, say, Iran. Italy, well, they always hate their damn government, the Italian government is doing a fine job considering the circumstances imho. They've been transparent, proactive, and it's not entirely the fault of the government that it spread so much in the first place.

After the virus left China, Italy was really the first European country to get hit and they had to start from scratch. Their lockdown models have been adapted in quite a few other nations, so I'm not sure about revolution there.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:26 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:I fully expect to see a revolution in Italy and Iran after all this is over.

It's unlikely in my opinion, but plausible for, say, Iran. Italy, well, they always hate their damn government, the Italian government is doing a fine job considering the circumstances imho. They've been transparent, proactive, and it's not entirely the fault of the government that it spread so much in the first place.

After the virus left China, Italy was really the first European country to get hit and they had to start from scratch. Their lockdown models have been adapted in quite a few other nations, so I'm not sure about revolution there.

It’s highly likely that Lega will be the largest party in power come the next elections
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Ayytaly
Minister

Founded: Feb 08, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ayytaly » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:31 pm

Less old people, less support of conservative politics, and in turn, Gens X-to-Millenials go out of control.
Signatures are the obnoxious car bumper stickers of the internet. Also, Rojava did nothing right.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:32 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

It’s highly likely that Lega will be the largest party in power come the next elections

I mean, agreed, though that was likely before the outbreak. Salvini is going to fucking feed off this though, you're right. Blame the immigrants, not the citizens traveling internationally.
Last edited by Major-Tom on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LRON
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby LRON » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:00 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:No.

Things will return to normal 90 days after the end of the crises

I wish I believed you. Every indicator I am seeing says we are deep trouble. There will be no easy escape from this. The Great Depression will probably look easy.

I feel you will be correct, Mr. East Marches. I will also point out to our very hardcore capitalist friends that the recent Republican line of "Let them die for the altar of Wall Street" is precisely how you get communist uprisings. Or fascist ones. I have to say if either of those situations occurs, well, "For ’tis the sport to have the enginer
Hoist with his own petard; and ’t shall go hard".
Ravenous, ridiculous, and rakish!
Political fixer turned novelist.
Upper Class Anglo-Indian.
Proud Tory, but no longer a member of the Conservative Party.
Enthusiastically eccentric.

Moscareinas
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Moscareinas » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:06 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:It’s highly likely that Lega will be the largest party in power come the next elections

I mean, agreed, though that was likely before the outbreak. Salvini is going to fucking feed off this though, you're right. Blame the immigrants, not the citizens traveling internationally.

I've seen posts blaming Chinese workers in Lombardy for the outbreak of this pandemic there. Oh yeah, Salvini's gonna milk the shit out of this, alright.
Moscareinas is an unexpectedly prosperous democratic republic whose territories include 54% of the western Indian Ocean, the IRL BIOT, Comoros, Mayotte, the Seychelles, Mauritius, and Reunion. Not included: Madagascar.

Moscans are torn about Madagascar.

(Yes, I'm Dahon. Please.)

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:08 pm

Thermodolia wrote:I definitely see the governments of Iran and Italy being toppled. China is probably gonna have mass protests and the US will probably have more people supporting government doing things than ever before

With the age of Iran's senior leadership and the varying state of civil unrest in the country recently, I can easily see it happening. Italy may or may not recover, but holy fuck is it terrifying to see what's going on there.

I foresee a potential collapse of North Korea as well if it ends up being to bad. Or they just let people die in the streets and call it another day. Who the hell knows with that country. I don't foreseee anything good happening in Korea if the Norks start crumbling.

LRON
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby LRON » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:10 pm

Moscareinas wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

I've seen posts blaming Chinese workers in Lombardy for the outbreak of this pandemic there. Oh yeah, Salvini's gonna milk the shit out of this, alright.

Even better, he will be able to stir up anti-EU hatred as well. The Czechs "by mistake" confiscating masks meant for Italy will be quite the propaganda treat. Then he gets to point to how Russia, Cuba, Vietnam and others have done more for Italy in this crisis than the vaunted European Union. He can rightfully point out that when push came to shove this so called European solidarity was nowhere to be found. Seems familiar in Italian politics, particularly around a certain time period. Hm hm, it was 1922 that Mussolini marched on Rome. History might not repeat itself, but it does often rhyme.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:14 pm

The EU and the Brussels institutions will probably fade into increasing amounts of irrelevancy.

Corona exposed them as the paper tigers they always were.

The European Council will become more important at the expanse of the commission and Brussels.
Last edited by Nakena on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:18 pm

This is wishful thinking and might not be that global, so... Please excuse me if this shouldn't be here. ^^;

One thing? I seriously want the Anti-vaxx movement to be over. I know we don't have a vaccine for COVID yet, but if we get it soon, I really, really hope that this sets at least 90% of them straight, even if not 100% of them.

The Anti-vaxx group just infuriated me to no end.

-----

Other ramifications might be falling stock prices, failing and bankrupt companies, all that sort. I am pretty sure airlines has taken a huge impact. If this whole thing is entirely over, I can only think of massive rehiring, as well as a larger tourism market.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

LRON
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby LRON » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:18 pm

Nakena wrote:The EU and the Brussels institutions will probably fade into increasing amounts of irrelevancy.

The European Council will become more important at the expanse of the commission and Brussels.

EUCO is part of the EU and located in Brussels. You might be thinking of the Council of Europe.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:21 pm

Valentine Z wrote:This is wishful thinking and might not be that global, so... Please excuse me if this shouldn't be here. ^^;

One thing? I seriously want the Anti-vaxx movement to be over. I know we don't have a vaccine for COVID yet, but if we get it soon, I really, really hope that this sets at least 90% of them straight, even if not 100% of them.

Theres always people like that, because they are psychologically wired in their worldview to believe such things. its a fractal wrongness and is based in a fundamentally flawed perception of the world. The basic calculation is wrong and from there it goes on and on.

But... people can overcome that and get away from it. Those things are not set in stone necessarily. They can be programmed in as they can be de-programmed.

I hope that the Corona crisis will lead a lot of people to de-program themselfs from such delusions, but some will remain trapped inside.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:24 pm

LRON wrote:
Nakena wrote:The EU and the Brussels institutions will probably fade into increasing amounts of irrelevancy.

EUCO is part of the EU and located in Brussels. You might be thinking of the Council of Europe.

No I mean the EUCO. Because thats where the Head of Governments of the EU nations are being represented. Given the total failure and absence of the EU institutions during the Covid crises I do not believe the nation states will delegate any more powers or authority to Brussels in the future. Rather the opposite will happen and Brussels will be sidelined increasingly and in the end become fully what it already is, a place where politicians get kicked upstairs to get retired.

LRON
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby LRON » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:32 pm

Nakena wrote:
LRON wrote:EUCO is part of the EU and located in Brussels. You might be thinking of the Council of Europe.

No I mean the EUCO. Because thats where the Head of Governments of the EU nations are being represented. Given the total failure and absence of the EU institutions during the Covid crises I do not believe the nation states will delegate any more powers or authority to Brussels in the future. Rather the opposite will happen and Brussels will be sidelined increasingly and in the end become fully what it already is, a place where politicians get kicked upstairs to get retired.
Ah, well, to be honest chap I don't expect the decrepit organisation to live another decade in any form.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:34 pm

It is my hope that this crisis will be the catalyst for working people to rise up and seek the rights which they deserve.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

LRON
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby LRON » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:35 pm

Cisairse wrote:It is my hope that this crisis will be the catalyst for working people to rise up and seek the rights which they deserve.

As I mentioned, wanting to bring back blood sacrifice to praise Mammon or Baal is a very good way to get the Reds or the Blackshirts marching again.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:38 pm

LRON wrote:
Nakena wrote:
Ah, well, to be honest chap I don't expect the decrepit organisation to live another decade in any form.

No need to kill a dead horse.

What is the NAM? (Non-Aligned Movement)

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:08 am

When I was a kid milkmen delivered milk in electric vehicles, someone else delivered bread every day, mail, groceries and newspapers delivered by bicycle, people would sell fresh fish from the back of a van.

It wasn't so bad.
Everything is intertwinkled

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:45 am

Valentine Z wrote:This is wishful thinking and might not be that global, so... Please excuse me if this shouldn't be here. ^^;

Anti-vaxxers are active world wide, so I think it is appropriate for the thread.

If there's a cure before a vaccine the anti-vaxers will escape with their beliefs intact. Unfortunately.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:48 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:When I was a kid milkmen delivered milk in electric vehicles, someone else delivered bread every day, mail, groceries and newspapers delivered by bicycle, people would sell fresh fish from the back of a van.

It wasn't so bad.

These are small businesses I presume. A few of them should start up.

(I too remember electric milk carts, as late as 1978.)
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General